Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    not WoW, but my favorite parody is https://old.reddit.com/r/the_darnold/ .

FAKER MAYFIELD IS FAILING WHILE THE GEQBOTUS HAS THE BIGGEST SPLEEN. BRADY IS FAKE NEWS
    I was reading this, going "I don't get it".

Then I clicked the link and said "Oh... it's sports... that's why."

;P

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I was reading this, going "I don't get it".

Then I clicked the link and said "Oh... it's sports... that's why."

;P
    yeah, its harder to understand if you're not into sports (which I obv am, given I am Queen of the sports forum), but like there's nothing wrong with satirizing Trump's way of speaking for comedy. it can be hilarious, as long as its not a vehicle for actually spewing hateful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I disagree. It would, for instance, not be ok for a guild to name themselves The Hitler Youth Team. And if that's not ok, then the MAGA/Pro-Trump names are starting to fall into that category.
    I see what you're saying but a mere reference doesn't mean you're 'pro' something. It could mean the exact opposite. You have an avatar of Trump, but its obviously not in support of him. I have MAGA is my signature, used various Trump allies and associates as my avatar. I'm definitely not down with the clowns - despite multiple accusations cough. An allusion to something doesn't necessarily mean you condone it.

Before people says ''UNFAIR', let's look at yourself in a mirror and say ''a lot people are obnoxious about Justin Trudeau and scream his slogans in the trade chat. Total strangers start screaming they hope Justin will destroy them amidst typical videyahgame conversation (you suck, no you suck, your mom suck….)

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I see what you're saying but a mere reference doesn't mean you're 'pro' something. It could mean the exact opposite. You have an avatar of Trump, but its obviously not in support of him. I have MAGA is my signature, used various Trump allies and associates as my avatar. I'm definitely not down with the clowns - despite multiple accusations cough. An allusion to something doesn't necessarily mean you condone it.
    Ok, the point about the Avatar is sound - I'm also a great example of that.

I agree that the allusion to something does not condone it. However, at the same time, it would be difficult to draw any kind of line as a rule, where "we're just kidding" is part of the evaluation (unless that fits in the guild name with the parentheticals).
    No one is above the law!

We need to parade around ingame with a Make American Gaming Corporations Great Again moniker.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    yeah, its harder to understand if you're not into sports (which I obv am, given I am Queen of the sports forum), but like there's nothing wrong with satirizing Trump's way of speaking for comedy. it can be hilarious, as long as its not a vehicle for actually spewing hateful stuff.
    Exactly. It is easy to forget that in the middle of him being a terrifying and horrible human being, he is also (unintentionally) hilarious. After all, late night talk shows have been telling about 100 Trump jokes a night for several years now, and they don't seem to be running out of steam.

In fact, Trump is probably the funniest President we have ever had, despite not having a sense of humor at all. The lack of a sense of humor actually makes it funnier in fact.
    "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling ANTIFA!" - Adolf Hitler
    "I really wish Ghostpanther would stop misquoting me" - Abraham Lincoln

Sounds more like someone was salty for being taken action on for breaking the naming policy on Roleplaying servers.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

Even on normal servers I think names like that should be banned.

WoW is a fantasy game we play to get away from reality for an hour or two. It doesn't matter what the person behind this dwarf or that worgen thinks politically, they slay the big bad dragon together. If the players want to discuss politics they are free to do so in guild chat or community, but please don't drag anyone outside of your guild into it by having a political guild name.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Even on normal servers I think names like that should be banned.

WoW is a fantasy game we play to get away from reality for an hour or two. It doesn't matter what the person behind this dwarf or that worgen thinks politically, they slay the big bad dragon together. If the players want to discuss politics they are free to do so in guild chat or community, but please don't drag anyone outside of your guild into it by having a political guild name.
    You're free to not join the guild.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I disagree. It would, for instance, not be ok for a guild to name themselves The Hitler Youth Team. And if that's not ok, then the MAGA/Pro-Trump names are starting to fall into that category.
    How are those two even comparable. Make Azeroth Great Again is wow related, no where does it have a real world figure in the name. Maybe if they called it the Garrosh Youth Team or something its comparable.

I don't know which it is... but I do know this. Even if it's meant as a joke, I wouldn't want to have that guild tag line under my name every time I play. >_<
    Oh it's certainly the kind of joke that would get old in 5 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno... That's a pretty good one, but I seem to remember one called "We got Iraq on Farm Mode".

I also remember the horrible "Nagga stole my bike". >_<

Back in the Ultima Online days, there were horrible names. I remember when they opened up the first Japanese server, we watched as a naked guy run through the streets with the name "NagasakiBOOM". >_<
    <We Got Iraq on Farm Mode> is both hilarious and tragic.
    We're Taking Your President Away From You. | Users with <20 posts and ignored posters are invisible. Find out how to do that here and clean up MMO-OT!

RP servers are crazy restrictive. I wouldn't expect this to happen on a regular server. Except "Gay Boys" because you can't make sexual references in your guild name on any server. I do wonder if there's a guild that uses "Ahegao" in their name though.

I remember a horde guild on an RPPVP server that was called "Hordecore Pwnography" back in BC. I had a good laugh while I was dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The best guildname is still <RKelly PvPd On Me>
    <New Orleans Swim Team>, <Neverland Ranch Survivor> were 2 that I found hilarious when I started WoW, back when BC released.
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

if its just on RP servers, then I dont see why this even warrants a news article

on non rp servers, I have more issue with the "NAGA stole my bike" guilds (though it helps me know ahead of time they are assholes, and to ignore them when they need a healer) than the "Make Azeroth Great Again" clones

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    How are those two even comparable. Make Azeroth Great Again is wow related, no where does it have a real world figure in the name. Maybe if they called it the Garrosh Youth Team or something its comparable.
    Are you really trying to say that the phrase above has nothing to do with Trump and is in no way related to his political platform?
    No one is above the law!

The best guildname is still <RKelly PvPd On Me>
    My favorite is <Jackson Four L4M>

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

The guild sounds like it would be great parody, really. Trump and Republicans are hilarious source material so long as no one forgets that they're supposed to be laughing at the ridiculous absurdity of their bullshit, not cheering it like it's real. I think that's really where Trump's 4chan support crowd fell off the path - first they were trolling, then they forgot they were trolling.

I'm not sure I agree with this action. It depends on the context.

Was <Make Azeroth Great Again> being basically an in game extension of the red-hatted Trumphadi cult? Were the engaging in the racism, lying, intolerance, and attacks on democracy that are typical of your average Donald Trump supporter? Then sure, get them the hell out of here.

But "Make Azeroth Great Again" was also a mildly amusing WoW in-joke from a few years back. Hell I even used it about BfA before launch (and, perhaps fittingly, like Trump's Administration, but have been a complete and and utter shitshow, to put it mildly).

Something that is a bit of a meme like that though, perhaps isn't fitting for an RP server. A general server though? Yeah I think it's fine.

A core issue is that "MAGA" and the message behind MAGA is intrinsically racist. It is really code word for "Make America White Again". On one hand, it is something that MUST be directly attacked by anyone espousing legitimate American values. On the other hand, satire and mockery is a powerful tool, and we should absolutely mock MAGA, and laugh at it, and it's message, and the people who think it has any legitimate. MAGA is a non-serious, but also hateful and decadent message. We must condemn, and laugh at it.

So I don't kow. It's contextual. <Make Azeroth Great Again> as satire? Sure. <Make Azeroth Great Again> as an extension of Donald Trump's failing political brand? Burn it to the fucking ground.
    I'm pretty sure given that this is coming after that whole thing with the guy from Hong Kong that this is more of a PR move than anything else. It's so that they can point at this action and say 'we don't tolerate *any* poltiical stuff here!'

They were taking alot of crap over the Hong Kong thing after all.

A user known as Cogblast approached GameByte, and revealed that his guild, known as “Make Azeroth Great Again,” a tongue in cheek to reference to President Trump’s campaign slogan, were also targeted. Cogblast inititally received a message that the name of his guild was “inappropriate,” and was removed. This decision was reversed by a representative from Blizzard, who confirmed that the name did not break their Terms of Service, but was then reinstated only 12 hours later.

I don't understand why this is a story.