Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Theory: WoW announcement at Blizzcon will be underwhelming

Looking at the schedule and seeing that there is a WoW Update panel on the second day, it makes me wonder how important WoW will be at Blizzcon.

Let's just say they announce Diablo 4. It makes sense that they would leave out the first few panels and not say what they are about. Even if it just says Diablo What's next, for like the first 4 panels of the first day, people will be able to put one and one together.

And most likely if there is a Diablo 4 announcement it makes sense to have it take centerstage.

If one of the "Coming soon" panels was a WoW panel on the first day, I'm sure they'd just reveal it to be a WoW What's next panel and not make a secret out of it, since everyone is expecting an expansion announcement anyway.

Also the first panel has another WoW panel running in parallel to the first panel, on a different stage. If the first panel was a WoW panel, I don't think they'd put another WoW panel right at the beginning to run at the same time, because who is gonna watch that after an expansion announcement. If the first panel is Diablo 4 however, people who don't play Diablo can watch the WoW panel.

So the fact that there is no WoW What's next panel on the first day makes me fear whatever they announce for WoW will be sort of underwhelming, otherwise we'd get a panel on the first day. It might not even be an expansion announcement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Satan View Post
    It might not even be an expansion announcement.
    As I've asked others that have floated this idea, and still havent' gotten an answer. When and where do you expect the expansion announcement if not at Blizzcon?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I think you're reading too much into it.

However, my money is on the "underwhelming" horse for sure.

you thought SoO for 14months was long? HA! I hope you're ready for 28 months of ny'alotha!

oh look, another fresh account with this type of theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL

The only way Blizz doesn't announce the next expansion here is if they're insane and they don't care about the game or the company. Even if they aren't totally prepared they're going to throw all the shit together they can because they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    As I've asked others that have floated this idea, and still havent' gotten an answer. When and where do you expect the expansion announcement if not at Blizzcon?
    Who says there's even gonna be an expansion?

Looking at the schedule and seeing that there is a WoW Update panel on the second day, it makes me wonder how important WoW will be at Blizzcon.

Let's just say they announce Diablo 4. It makes sense that they would leave out the first few panels and not say what they are about. Even if it just says Diablo What's next, for like the first 4 panels of the first day, people will be able to put one and one together.

And most likely if there is a Diablo 4 announcement it makes sense to have it take centerstage.

If one of the "Coming soon" panels was a WoW panel on the first day, I'm sure they'd just reveal it to be a WoW What's next panel and not make a secret out of it, since everyone is expecting an expansion announcement anyway.

Also the first panel has another WoW panel running in parallel to the first panel, on a different stage. If the first panel was a WoW panel, I don't think they'd put another WoW panel right at the beginning to run at the same time, because who is gonna watch that after an expansion announcement. If the first panel is Diablo 4 however, people who don't play Diablo can watch the WoW panel.

So the fact that there is no WoW What's next panel on the first day makes me fear whatever they announce for WoW will be sort of underwhelming, otherwise we'd get a panel on the first day. It might not even be an expansion announcement.

Announcements also happen during the opening ceremony.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who says there's even gonna be an expansion?
    Then what do you think is after 8.3?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Depends on how far ahead they are, but even then they STILL announce it like WoD at Gamescom

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    He obviously thinks WoW will die, can't you tell what kind of person you're dealing with?

If anything, WoW panel on second day is 100% proof of expansion (not that such a proof was needed, it was obvious enough even without it). Opening Ceremony will announce it, one of the first 4 panels will talk about it more, and second day either more talk, or 8.3.5 stuff.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moreover, even if it were delayed for Gamescom for whatever reason, what logical reason would the team have to delay when what they need most out of BlizzCon is multiple showstopper announcements? That's why my current expectations are WoW 9.0, Overwatch 2, Diablo IV, Diablo II Remaster (the latter three have been leaked by somewhat-reliable leaker Metro on Twitter), a new Starcraft game of some manner, info on what direction they plan to take WoW Classic post-Naxxramas, a new Hearthstone expansion, a teaser for their unannounced IP, and (after reflecting) some sort of announcement on renewed efforts to bring Heroes of the Storm back to prominence, especially after Riot spent their 10th anniversary stream taking shots at Blizzard with Project A (an FPS that's one part CSGO one part Overwatch), Runeterra (a CCG like Hearthstone), and Project F (a dungeon crawler).

There is no feasible reason for Blizzard to hold back any major announcements they have unless the game in question can't even get a v-slice up and running for the presentation.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

There is a what's next panel on the first day. It's currently called 'Coming Soon'.

Announcements happen in the Opening Ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Who says there's gonna be something after 8.3? I mean it's gonna end one day, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    There is a what's next panel on the first day. It's currently called 'Coming Soon'.

Announcements happen in the Opening Ceremony.
    In the past they have revealed "WoW What's next" panels in the schedule without making a secret out of it by saying "Coming Soon". So I don't think there is gonna be a WoW What's next panel on the first day.

And if there was, the WoW update panel would be pointless. A what's next panel is literally an update panel.

I mean Ion basically confirmed that there would be an expansion following BFA in that 8.2 stream he did a few months back...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Depends on how far ahead they are, but even then they STILL announce it like WoD at Gamescom
    Legion was the Gamescom announcement, and that whole situation was very much "In case of emergency, break glass," as the game was hemorrhaging players at unprecedented rates, the expansion itself was being eviscerated from both the casual and hardcore communities in an unprecedented (and largely unreplicated, until the Hong Kong PR disaster) show of unity from the playerbase, and Blizzard had spent the entire expansion holed up and giving out controversial announcements through third-party gaming news sites like Polygon rather than any official channels of communication (like the WoWDevs Twitter handle, official fansites like WoWhead, or the official forums). WoD was in freefall and they needed hype, fast, hence the unseasonal expansion announcement (this and the news that they were more or less abandoning WoD to focus all their efforts on Legion).

BFA is in a similarly-troubled state, even with the timing of FFXIV expansions hitting WoW--8.1 released around the same time FFXIV: Shadowbringers did, and in WoD, FFXIV: Heavensward and 6.3 launched within days of one another, and in both cases FFXIV saw an influx of 'WoW refugees.' So yeah, there's no sense holding an expansion announcement back until Gamescom unless something went horrifically wrong in development on a level that would make WoD's development look like smooth sailing.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who says there's gonna be something after 8.3? I mean it's gonna end one day, right?
    Okay cool thanks for giving up your credibility willingly.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but I can't take anything OP is posting seriously.

Creating an alt account to spread bad tidings just for fun IMO - A bad faith actor.
    Here is something to believe in!

Sure... when the game isn't profitable to continue to run anymore. An MMO needs roughly 500k subscribers to be self-sufficient, and I'm sure WoW is still running at least 2-3 million (not including Classic). It would be financial suicide for them to not have an expansion after this one, even before considering all of the shitty rep they're currently getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Legion was the Gamescom announcement, and that whole situation was very much "In case of emergency, break glass," as the game was hemorrhaging players at unprecedented rates, the expansion itself was being eviscerated from both the casual and hardcore communities in an unprecedented (and largely unreplicated, until the Hong Kong PR disaster) show of unity from the playerbase, and Blizzard had spent the entire expansion holed up and giving out controversial announcements through third-party gaming news sites like Polygon rather than any official channels of communication (like the WoWDevs Twitter handle, official fansites like WoWhead, or the official forums). WoD was in freefall and they needed hype, fast, hence the unseasonal expansion announcement (this and the news that they were more or less abandoning WoD to focus all their efforts on Legion).

BFA is in a similarly-troubled state, even with the timing of FFXIV expansions hitting WoW--8.1 released around the same time FFXIV: Shadowbringers did, and in WoD, FFXIV: Heavensward and 6.3 launched within days of one another, and in both cases FFXIV saw an influx of 'WoW refugees.' So yeah, there's no sense holding an expansion announcement back until Gamescom unless something went horrifically wrong in development on a level that would make WoD's development look like smooth sailing.
    Thousands were among the first to see the incredible cinematic trailer for World of Warcraft’s next expansion, Warlords of Draenor. At the world’s largest games convention in Cologne, Germany, Blizzard Entertainment unveiled the cinematic to gamescom attendees on a giant screen as part of a special stage show. Attendees witnessed live interviews with World of Warcraft and Cinematic Leads and the announcement of the Warlords of Draenor launch date - November 13 2014.