Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

New PTR 8.3 Patch - New "Titanforging" now Live?

The new system replacing titan forging to offer some creative gear without the ever inflating item levels seems to be now live as of today's PTR deployment.

It offers a varied amount of Corruption in a numeric value and the benefits are varied as well, critical strikes, haste, mastery, healing received, leech, avoidance percentages. Also has some unique benefits like 40% of health regeneration continues while in combat and this one which is your spells and abilities have a chance to grant you a flash of clarity, reducing the cooldown of your next 3 spells cast by 2 sec.

The Corruption will tally up to give you side effects of up to 4 currently and the magnitude of them is directly linked to how much gear you wear with Corruption and how much your total corruption equals.

Item Comparison: - https://ibb.co/P63F25g
    Corruption UI: https://ibb.co/phTdDtm
    Side effects: Grasping Tendrils, Grand Delusions, Corrupted Zone, Creeping Death

Equipment slots currently affected by this based off recent PTR testing is rings, gloves, feet, legs, weapons & belt so far.

New essences seem to reduce your corruption if you use them in a minor slot of which there are now 1 Major & 3 minor in 8.3.

Token of Death's Door Essence.

Recent datamining does suggest the corruption on the items can be cleansed eventually.

Imgur backup images: https://ajlowe32.imgur.com/all
    Last edited by AidanJLowe; 2019-10-23 at 03:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks extremely fun and engaging.

I'm going to try and get as much corruption as possible to show my devotion to the Dark Gods. Hopefully, Grandfather Nurgle will take notice.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The system seems interesting. Though I don't think it solved the problem of "BIS is whatever has the highest Titanforging." Just reworded it to "BIS is whatever has the maximum Corruption of your most useful flavor."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The system seems interesting. Though I don't think it solved the problem of "BIS is whatever has the highest Titanforging." Just reworded it to "BIS is whatever has the maximum Corruption of your most useful flavor."
    It looks more like corruption is a bad thing. You don't want it high. So it actually works as a limiter to how many of these items you can use, which also explains why you can "cleanse" them.

It all depends if the side effects are potent and more random, otherwise it will be an easy numbers game to see the benefits vs negatives.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It looks more like corruption is a bad thing. You don't want it high. So it actually works as a limiter to how many of these items you can use, which also explains why you can "cleanse" them.
    Okay if it has a tradeoff attached ot it like "more corruption lowers your base stat weight" then it's a decent fix. The OP's picture made it look like gaining corruption was a direct power gain with no tradeoff.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Okay if it has a tradeoff attached ot it like "more corruption lowers your base stat weight" then it's a decent fix. The OP's picture made it look like gaining corruption was a direct power gain with no tradeoff.
    Yeah it is a negative. Check the second screenshot and you see the actual UI and text. It will be interesting, for sure. All depends on what the side effects are.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    Yeah it is a negative. Check the second screenshot and you see the actual UI and text. It will be interesting, for sure. All depends on what the side effects are.
    Corruption resistance is probably that stat you gain from the new Essences. We'll see where else it pops up.

It all depends if the side effects are potent and more random, otherwise it will be an easy numbers game to see the benefits vs negatives.
    It all gets simulated eventually, but it’s an interesting model for gear progression; the “corruption” mechanic could easily be transposed to the next AP system, and give new opportunities to create a smoother gear curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariamis View Post
    It all gets simulated eventually, but it’s an interesting model for gear progression; the “corruption” mechanic could easily be transposed to the next AP system, and give new opportunities to create a smoother gear curve.
    I agree but if it ends up being how ele shaman gambler build was some may opt out. (Using fake numbers) Yeah you may average 10k DPS but some attempts may be 5k and some may be 15 based on the side effects triggering. That would be nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    "Higher corruption increases the number of side effects and their strengths."

Side effects are generally negatives but the wording is incredibly ambiguous. We need more screenshots.

Still - I don't see how this really changes anything TBH. 2% more haste from all sources is incredibly powerful. It still means that winning the lottery makes you far more powerful than everyone else around you.
    Let's say it was like some JRPGs with "cursed gear" where a side effect is that you are stunned for 4 seconds. That could be life or death. Or. Temporary mind control like old God abilities do. We really need to know the side effects to see how good or bad this will be at replacing titanforging

So this Corruption stat, and all the things we seem to get that help us resist it including a new Azerite Trait that specifically resists corruption really reminds me of Vanilla resist stats. It allows a form of parallel progression for the raids where we do have to improve our gear, but a significant amount of the improvement is in the form of resistances rather than stamina and DPS.

I agree but if it ends up being how ele shaman gambler build was some may opt out. (Using fake numbers) Yeah you may average 10k DPS but some attempts may be 5k and some may be 15 based on the side effects triggering. That would be nifty.
    Fair, but that’s more of a flaw with Ele design.

I’m curious about the corruption drawbacks. I suspect we’ll see world first raiders gamble on higher corruption levels to boost throughput.

So I think we already had a preview of this stuff in the PTR

Previously you would just buy these rings from the essence tauren

Really generic beneficial effects but a ton of different negative effects

Let's say it was like some JRPGs with "cursed gear" where a side effect is that you are stunned for 4 seconds. That could be life or death. Or. Temporary mind control like old God abilities do. We really need to know the side effects to see how good or bad this will be at replacing titanforging
    Lol obviously its gonna be a good thing. Imagine a system where there would be no gain only negative side effects. Everyone would be just cleansin the shit out of items and be done with it.

And if you cried about titanforging, you will be crying about corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Lol obviously its gonna be a good thing. Imagine a system where there would be no gain only negative side effects. Everyone would be just cleansin the shit out of items and be done with it.

And if you cried about titanforging, you will be crying about corruption.
    But it increases in magnitude. So one item may absolutely be beneficial but 3 or 4 may have much worse effects. That's what I'm curious about. It allows you to gamble which I personally find more interesting.

But then again, I could be thinking of it more deeply than just a base effect bonus or reduction like "Lose 6% haste for two seconds"

And by cleansing it, I'd assume you lose the bonus it gives and it just makes it the base item so if a BiS piece drops and you already have a lot of corruption you cleanse it to just use, as is.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    So I think we already had a preview of this stuff in the PTR

Previously you would just buy these rings from the essence tauren

Really generic beneficial effects but a ton of different negative effects
    The difference now is the positives and negatives can appear on any item.
    And the negatives are random debuffs and they actually scale with the corruption stat on these items.

I might have gotten 129 Corruption from equipping 7 items generated from the caches offered by the vendor and hilarious things happened:

Had 4 debuffs, one was a simple damage increase and mortal strike:

A Corrupted Zone which filled the whole screen due to how much Corruption stat:

Which also one shot me:

And the Grand Delusions add:

Ran so fast due to the Corruption stat I couldn't screenshot it and one shot me:

The forth debuff, was a chance to get snared, and much less lethal.

But I hope this puts on the point:
    Holy crap you can't equip too many of these items! .

Being corrupted adds visual pruple/black patches to your character that glow. Just tested and transmog doesn't get rid of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinzaram View Post
    snip
    That looks fantastic. I'm glad they are more exciting effects because it actually allows you to gamble and make it interesting