Dumb question regarding Arthas

When Tirion smashed Frostmourne/Arthas' helmet fell off during the brief time period before he died, was he back to his old good self?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so as he called Terenas "Father". If he was all Lich King, he probably would've addressed him by his full name instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I think so as he called Terenas "Father". If he was all Lich King, he probably would've addressed him by his full name instead.
    Thats really sad man

I don't think entirely. He was "evil" before he put in the helmet, and if remember correctly he "killed" his human side while asleep on the throne. (Book stuff)

Maybe he was partly conscious regarding his deeds after putting down the helmet but i don't think he was himself again.

If you look closely, you can see that blue hue vanish from his eyes when he falls down.

But I would say it's a stretch to call it his old good self, since he was already a dick when he was alive .
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

With Frostmourne's corruption gone I think he would go back to paladin Arthas before he picked up the sword. I don't think Terenas would even want to be kind to the evil Arthas version.

Quote Originally Posted by Krewshi View Post
    When Tirion smashed Frostmourne/Arthas' helmet fell off during the brief time period before he died, was he back to his old good self?
    That was the case, yeah. With the helm on he was the Lich King and no longer Arthas, contrary to what the book suggests.

Don't even ask how we have The Bolvar as a thing nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't think entirely. He was "evil" before he put in the helmet, and if remember correctly he "killed" his human side while asleep on the throne. (Book stuff)

Maybe he was partly conscious regarding his deeds after putting down the helmet but i don't think he was himself again.
    Frostmourne did some work to destroy his human side as well, all before putting on the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post

He was evil because Frostmourne consumed his soul. When the sword was broken his soul was released along with everyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Frostmourne did some work to destroy his human side as well, all before putting on the helm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    He was evil because Frostmourne consumed his soul. When the sword was broken his soul was released along with everyone else's.
    Well yeah that is what i ment by evil before^^
    But i don't think (correct me if i am wrong) that is soul released when the sword broke. Because he still talked and was there after it. he even said i only see darkness before me or something.
    And Sylvannas then sees his sole in the infinite darkness where she gets rescued by her valkyrs

It's not that he became "Good", it's more that he regained his conscience for a brief moment before death since he was no longer directly connected to the Lich King helm.

Same as how Bolvar was not cold and heartless before putting on the helm, but he now is. Even if he's not entirely "evil" as the Lich King, he is entirely emotionless and heartless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    That was the case, yeah. With the helm on he was the Lich King and no longer Arthas, contrary to what the book suggests.

Don't even ask how we have The Bolvar as a thing nowadays.
    I figured The Helm of Domination is just a "corrupts the user" regardless type of thing, even without Ner'zhul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    I figured The Helm of Domination is just a "corrupts the user" regardless type of thing, even without Ner'zhul.
    Not really corruption. I'd say the Lich King is an entity of its own and whoever wears the Helm is simply taken over.

I dont think he never wasnt himself, i think the helmet just augmented his powers. If i remember from the book he killed his young weak self and nerzhul and did what he had to do to prepare azeroth. I think even in the icecrown quests it shows a bit of that. When he was about to die though he just had an overwhelming surge of guilt.

Deleted my post, looking through some lore, yeah he was always himself, albeit he was driven insane by Ner'zhul after getting Forstmourne and losing his soul, and was in turn influenced by the Lich King armor when he got it.

At the end of ICC, he gets his soul (and thus sanity) back for a second before fully dying.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Stood in the Fire ArkantosChampion's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think, he became himself, when the helmet fall from his head and the main reason cuz sword "Frostmourn" was cracked.
    I'm a normal text, I'm a bold text.

Can Bolvar raise Arthas as a scourge minion or as a "regular " DK?

With his soul released he become good again.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This. The corruption of the Lich King was a result of the tainted Frostmourne. It could be argued that the rest of the armor also produced this effect, but to a lesser degree, which is why Bolvar is far less hostile than Arthas.

Arthas was never a good person. He was a toxic rich dude who thought he could do everything, and ended up ruining the lives of tens of thousands of people. He purged stratholme without being corrupted. No good person does that. When teaching courses on toxic masculinity, they should literally just refrence Arthas' entire story arc.
    change can't wait.