Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No it won't be enough. People think they want D2 like it was but they actually don't, simply because they're used to new stuff in games that is now standard and if you take it out, likely will pan out to be an inferior experience.

I don't get the comparison with WoW, LoL, Fortnite, etc. All different genres that have nothing to do with Diablo (maybe WoW for some aspects). Until you're referring to twitch views that are the shittiest parameter to define if a game is good or not.

I want D4 to be more D2 than D3 for sure. However it needs to bring something new to the table to distinguish himself from the other games around, PoE first of all but also underdogs like Grim Dawn, the new Torchlight Frontiers, etc. The ARPG genre is in great turmoil with many different stuff that have come out or are coming - so they need to make a NEW game. It needs to still be a Diablo game, but a new one.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Let's say Blizzard go back to the root and make D4 as close to D2 as possible with new graphics and some obvious improvements. Do you think the traditional format of ARPG can push D4 to be among the top dogs like LoL, WoW, Fortnite and such? PoE is the best iteration of that format currently right? It still achieved only medicre success in the big picture. Ultimately do you think it is still worth it to pour a lot of resource to create a new game built around the traditional format?
    No. D4 needs a value add. It needs something special to separate it from all the other games out there. Without a value add, the success of D4 becomes random chance with low odds.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer D3.5 than D2.5

Diablo 3 is a far superior game of the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    No it won't be enough. People think they want D2 like it was but they actually don't, simply because they're used to new stuff in games that is now standard and if you take it out, likely will pan out to be an inferior experience.

I don't get the comparison with WoW, LoL, Fortnite, etc. All different genres that have nothing to do with Diablo (maybe WoW for some aspects). Until you're referring to twitch views that are the shittiest parameter to define if a game is good or not.

I want D4 to be more D2 than D3 for sure. However it needs to bring something new to the table to distinguish himself from the other games around, PoE first of all but also underdogs like Grim Dawn, the new Torchlight Frontiers, etc. The ARPG genre is in great turmoil with many different stuff that have come out or are coming - so they need to make a NEW game. It needs to still be a Diablo game, but a new one.
    I brought up those games in comparison because of their defining successes not because of how they specifically play. My point is that if the traditional formula of ARPG is enough to get D4 to be really popular. We have seen it with Grim Dawn, PoE, etc and none of them seems to reach quite top level of success. Does D4 need to take a look at the more fundamental aspects of the genre and see if it could be changed?
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-10-23 at 11:22 AM.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a remaster of D2 or a clone of D2 would be good enough. Granted, I will still play D2 but know it will get stale faster than it did back then. Without new features to extend the lifetime of the game, it basically has an expiration date.
    Last edited by MrKnubbles; 2019-10-23 at 11:34 AM.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

I brought up those games in comparison because of their defining successes not because of how they specifically play. My point is that if the traditional formula of ARPG is enough to get D4 to be really popular. We have seen it with Grim Dawn, PoE, etc and none of them seems to reach quite top level of success.
    I get your point, but you're missing success with popularity. If a game is popular, likely it's a success but as i see Fortnite being a success, then i'm really worried. The game is literally the shallowest experience one can have - a 100 man deathmatch over the same map and thousands of skins to buy. Playerbase has really changed (for the worse in my opinion).

On the other side, PoE is at top level of success. They're doing their very own first ExileCon this year, so it's not like they're not gaining money from it. The fact you don't see it on Twitch means that people use other channels or simply plays the game. They're a direct competitor to Blizzard and Diablo so i think they reached a quite high level.

Numbers don't mean anything. D4 needs to be a new better game that adds more to the traditional formula. The fact is that the playerbase that was all together on a single game back ago now it's scattered through a myriad of other titles.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

If it was D2 with some polished graphics id be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I get your point, but you're missing success with popularity. If a game is popular, likely it's a success but as i see Fortnite being a success, then i'm really worried. The game is literally the shallowest experience one can have - a 100 man deathmatch over the same map and thousands of skins to buy. Playerbase has really changed (for the worse in my opinion).

On the other side, PoE is at top level of success. They're doing their very own first ExileCon this year, so it's not like they're not gaining money from it. The fact you don't see it on Twitch means that people use other channels or simply plays the game. They're a direct competitor to Blizzard and Diablo so i think they reached a quite high level.

Numbers don't mean anything. D4 needs to be a new better game that adds more to the traditional formula. The fact is that the playerbase that was all together on a single game back ago now it's scattered through a myriad of other titles.
    I am not missing it. It's intentional that I define success in comercial term because it's easy to use and very important. Both StarCraft games are my favourite games and they are pretty much labeled as ded gaem these days despite being masterpieces. That means they don't get supported anymore. Blizzard simply does not make a game and aim at that level of success of PoE. That bar is too low. Overwatch is problably generating more money than PoE and it's considered to not be doing well. That's the standard Blizzard is operating at.

We wish numbers don't mean anything but they mean almost everything. The game simply has to be both good and incerdibly popular to satisfy both the fanbase and Blizzard.

Let's say Blizzard go back to the root and make D4 as close to D2 as possible with new graphics and some obvious improvements. Do you think the traditional format of ARPG can push D4 to be among the top dogs like LoL, WoW, Fortnite and such? PoE is the best iteration of that format currently right? It still achieved only medicre success in the big picture. Ultimately do you think it is still worth it to pour a lot of resource to create a new game built around the traditional format?
    I wouldnt say poe is the best,personaly for me its grim dawn,its the closest thing to d2,poe just feels like its lost its identity,it feels almost like an mmo and a chore.also i personaly dislike the gearing system in that game,grim dawn has sets you farm that improve on your build,has old school d2 style talent tree AND a poe-like extra tree

D4 trying to be shamelessly more like Path of Exile would be fine with me. A LOT of D3 players have migrated there over the years especially the past year+. I've played POE since late closed beta in 2012. I played D3 as well but I believe POE is 100% the far superior game
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Then again....I have yet to find a game here where half the people are not shitting on it
    D2 is pretty much loved by everyone.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    D2 is pretty much loved by everyone.
    i thought it was okay. i did have issues with getting lost a lot and getting bored playing on my own.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

D3 combat with D2 gameplay.

Leave 2 in the past, they need to move forward with everything they learned since RoS and create more ways to customize on top of what is there, anything close to D2 as far as game mechanics will be a step back and most people do not want a potion popping spam 1 ability fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Leave 2 in the past, they need to move forward with everything they learned since RoS and create more ways to customize on top of what is there, anything close to D2 as far as game mechanics will be a step back and most people do not want a potion popping spam 1 ability fest.
    Oooh, a rare person that criticizes D2.

I don't know. They experimented with Dark Soul stuff and ditched it.
    If they ever take Diablo and make something different out of it, they need to give it a different name. Diablo: Immortal. Diablo: Horadrim. Diablo: Redemption. Whatever it be.

If they slap a number on it, it better be an ARPG like its predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i think they realize they need to pander with D4 to unfuck all the fuck ups they've had recently.

i'm 75% sure it'll be like D2 with enhanced graphics. the story will probably be shit though.
    behind the story is the guy who made witcher 3 and cyperpunk 2077.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilek01 View Post
    behind the story is the guy who made witcher 3 and cyperpunk 2077.
    isn't the witcher just following a series of books?

and cyberpunk, idk. haven't really looked much into it, since it's not really my thing.

I think it will be an open world game where you rush from world-Q to world-Q. Like the headhunter mode in d3, but with respawning quests so you don't need to open new games. They will mix in some dungeon where you can queue as a group or solo to get a group. Also I don't think it will be played in 3rd person perspective, but from behind the character.

I would love to see a diablo ammorpg with the game starting off around diablo 1 and going past diablo 3. The diablo world feels small yet its so massive and to see it all would be incredibly fun imo.