Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The thing is, even if you want to run it, you will not succeed in doing it - that's what I meant.
    Sometimes running the old 24-man raids is fun. I liked the Diabolos ones too.

I know I want to run Orbonne for the voice acting alone - I love that over the top language and voice changes when they are done as well as they are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    There's nothing challenging in the execution of asking someone to stand in the Duskblade circles. It's the type of mechanic that you die to once and you should have complete understanding of afterwards and never mess it up again. It doesn't layer over existing mechanics, it doesn't require you to have specifically 3 people, it just needs to be 3+. The first I did it blind I saw it pop up and had no idea what it was, but noticed that everyone went to them and I was the only clown ignoring them. I picked a side and went. Completed the mechanic.

Later on in subsequent runs, we wiped on it. I didn't understand why. I asked why, some other alliance had some players who were new and didn't understand you had to get in the circle. Ok, that's fair afterall I got lucky my first time. However, we then wiped to it a second time. that's when I was like ok, how exactly do you fail this mechanic twice?

Compare this to something like Kromogg Mythic where you had 20 hand runes pop up and EACH player has to get in one and CANNOT overlap. You then have to time breaking people out sequentially to stagger incoming raid damage, but also making sure you get out key players ASAP. Then OVERLAP that with other mechanics like AOEs, tankbusters, etc.

That can be challenging execution (nevermind the fact that someone designed a mod that trivialized the assignment piece of it). Cid is not challenging in execution in any standard of modern MMO gaming.

I'll use Mustadio as an example. If I was in charge of designing him, his cutscene sniper ability would overlap with the arena pulses and horizontal robot lasers and be random for each player as well as his positioning. That way you have to identify his position, your safe camera position, as well as the safe squares to stand in. That's what I think would make that appropriately challenging.
    Well knowing me, I'd fail every mechanic nearly every time. Despite having played this game for going on 6 years now I still can't do a raid without failing several mechanics, even if I've been there before. I have people mad at me all the time for being basically dead weight, and the 24mans are full of people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Well knowing me, I'd fail every mechanic nearly every time. Despite having played this game for going on 6 years now I still can't do a raid without failing several mechanics, even if I've been there before. I have people mad at me all the time for being basically dead weight, and the 24mans are full of people like me.
    What are you doing that you consistently fail mechanics that you understand how to solve? Do you have a specific example?

I think that the issue with FFXIV's some Alliance Raid bosses is that the mechanics you fail often one-shot you and that by default there is no clear "death recap" like in WoW for example. You could set up the combat log to display things only relevant to you but it's difficult to understand what happened sometimes.

Good examples are the first boss in World of Darkness which is my personal nemesis and I always die on that boss no matter what and another one is The Thunder King boss in some of the Stormblood's alliance raids. I can usually survive on that boss but other players seem to have a ton of issues and in general the boss is considered as a run killer.

The Nier raid was relatively easy, there weren't many things you couldn't avoid by just being aware and looking around. Only one attack springs to mind and it was the red orbs on the first boss which fall on to you. Very difficult to avoid and see which way you are supposed to move and even then they seem to do damage at random. Sometimes I got already hit by the orbs when they were still traveling and it seems like you really have to avoid them and not move aside only an inch like most AoE attacks in the game. Also they don't have a telegraph on the ground which makes it so difficult to avoid..

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    What are you doing that you consistently fail mechanics that you understand how to solve? Do you have a specific example?
    Specific examples? No, because I don't remember the names of all the bosses and raids. Usually the trials give me heaps of trouble though, and some mechanics in the 24mans. To this day I have no idea how to do some of the mechanics in the Heavensward and Stormblood trials and alliance raids. The 8mans can be a bit easier sometimes, until I get to bosses like Kefka and the like. I would LOVE a death recap like @dragothica mentioned. I'd also like a dungeon journal too, so I can at least get familiar with boss mechanics without having to be dead weight every time I go there.