Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The Fixation with new classes being added

At this point in time, World of Warcraft has 12 lore-derived classes. Whether there are arbitrary lines drawn for the sake of an MMO experience is neither here nor there, we have 12.

I do not understand the fixation with:

Tinker
    Lich
    Spellbreaker
    Necromancer
    Dark Ranger (This is the worst one)

12 Classes isn't enough for you? I don't see how? Most of the people whining for these new additions probably can't even hope to be remotely competent on half the ones we currently have...

Give it a rest, WoW has plenty of classes, it has 36 specializations, each with different fantasies (and although class design isn't at its best right now) and essences, talents, and azerite traits to manage.

This post isn't a defense for why WoW classes are the best they've ever been--it's the fact that they aren't the best they've ever been--that we should abandon the compulsion to beg for new classes when the ones we have don't call out to us, as much as they used to.

And seriously a Dark Ranger? I would rather they added different spell animations/improve class fantasy/other incentives, than the devs adding forum-mongrel classes to the game that is already suffering from poor class design/fantasy.

I feel an overwhelming amount of cringe when I see people post about this garbage.

For a game loaded with technology, WoW is missing a tech class.

Here is a tip for you

don't read the posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex91213 View Post
    I feel an overwhelming amount of cringe when I see people post about this garbage.
    The Internet must be real rough for you then, buddy.

People are posting about classes because there's been an expansion pattern of alternating classes and races. Legion added a new class, BfA added a fuckton of new races, so 9.0 should add a new class if it follows the pattern. People like speculating what it could be.

Don't like the conversation? Don't join it. No reason to go pissing in people's Cheerios.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvager23 View Post
    So? WoW is loaded with Void slithering its tentacles into everything too. Gimme a fucking Void Knight.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the obsession with "9.0 NEEDS a new class or it's doomed" really underscores how much we actually don't need a new class.

If the only way you have fun in WoW is by playing a new class, that means the existing 12 classes must be so broken and terrible that they need a total revamp. Which means class design resources should go there instead of to a new class.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    So? WoW is loaded with Void slithering its tentacles into everything too. Gimme a fucking Void Knight.
    ???

Multiple classes deal with Shadow magic (DKs have a spell with tentacles), and Priests have a spec dedicated to the Void.

Technology has been around since Classic.
    Void has only recently become a thing.

Anything void-related would just go the way of Demon Hunters next expansion. Hey guys, I know Sargeras is gone, but there's still a couple demons left in Felwood, so I'll stick around a bit, aight?

I can't help but feel like there's a huge overlap between tinker fans / vulpera fans / high elf fans / furries. They speak in such terms about them that it almost sounds fetishistic. They also never stop whining.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but feel like there's a huge overlap between tinker fans / vulpera fans / high elf fans / furries. They speak in such terms about them that it almost sounds fetishistic. They also never stop whining.
    ...... I have no words for whatever the hell I just read....
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

They also never stop whining.
    Irony, thy name is Wilfire.

Because producing/using tech isn't a class related theme, it is a profession theme. We have a tech profession.

Blizzard has done that profession very very poorly for most of the lifetime of WoW, but that's where all the tech should have gone.

Fix the current classes? Nope. Add new ones so it's even harder to balance. Cry on the forums for 2 years about it then a month before next expansion's announcement demand new classes. Rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Irony, thy name is Wilfire.
    I've made what, maybe 100 posts whining about the state of PvP, 200 about the state of PvE and 300 about the state of lore? Add 1400 more posts of trolling and pointless banter.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE >2000 POSTS JUST WHINING ABOUT HIGH ELVES!!!

This is not even remotely comparable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think new classes are fun

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Because producing/using tech isn't a class related theme, it is a profession theme. We have a tech profession.
    Mekkatorque and Blackfuse aren't shopkeepers looking to sell gear to people. They create and use weapons of mass-destruction, kind of like Ironman or Dr. Doom. There was also the Iron Horde which almost conquered Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex91213 View Post
    At this point in time, World of Warcraft has 12 lore-derived classes. Whether there are arbitrary lines drawn for the sake of an MMO experience is neither here nor there, we have 12.

I do not understand the fixation with:

Tinker
    Lich
    Spellbreaker
    Necromancer
    Dark Ranger (This is the worst one)

12 Classes isn't enough for you? I don't see how? Most of the people whining for these new additions probably can't even hope to be remotely competent on half the ones we currently have...

Give it a rest, WoW has plenty of classes, it has 36 specializations, each with different fantasies (and although class design isn't at its best right now) and essences, talents, and azerite traits to manage.

This post isn't a defense for why WoW classes are the best they've ever been--it's the fact that they aren't the best they've ever been--that we should abandon the compulsion to beg for new classes when the ones we have don't call out to us, as much as they used to.

And seriously a Dark Ranger? I would rather they added different spell animations/improve class fantasy/other incentives, than the devs adding forum-mongrel classes to the game that is already suffering from poor class design/fantasy.

Play and maintain all 12 classes and had gotten all 36 artifact challenge skins. A new class is something I really want.

10+ Year Old Account
    ???

Multiple classes deal with Shadow magic (DKs have a spell with tentacles), and Priests have a spec dedicated to the Void.
    In-game shadow magic =/= void magic.

In-game shadow magic encompassed void, fel and necromancy.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

I've made what, maybe 100 posts whining about the state of PvP, 200 about the state of PvE and 300 about the state of lore? Add 1400 more posts of trolling and pointless banter.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE >2000 POSTS JUST WHINING ABOUT HIGH ELVES!!!

This is not even remotely comparable.
    You just admitted that you whine a lot so not sure how it isn't comparable.

Expansion that didn't add new classes: (including new classes to their faction):

Cataclysm
    Warlords of Draenor
    Battle for Azeroth

So yes, we definitively need no new class: the quality expansions above shown how terrific expansions can be where no new class gets added.

Now back to reality: Sorry, but it's bullshit: new classes are necessary: crap on the balance, wow will never be balanced. I rather have fun with a new class than sticking around with the old until eternity. New classes are fun, and playing a new expansion with a new class is also very fun, so YES, we NEED NEW CLASSES.