[Theory-crafting] Class and Spec system revamp proposal.

So I've been thinking about the whole spec vs class identity and people seem to think it's either one way or the other, but is there a possibility for it to be both ?

Here's a proposal that might sound strange but hear me out.

What if they unlocked all spec abilities to a each respective class but added a new form of talent system that reinforces on said playstyle by combining both the old and new talent system to further enhance a person's choice, as an example :

Druid would have access to cat/bear abilities while retaining the hots you gain from resto and the damage spells from balance, though those version would be inferior or incomplete.

For example bear form would not have the mitigation nor health bonuses that a guardian druid has, nor would it have it's shield wall ability. This is where the new talent system comes in, you'd have 4 different talent trees with "fill up" passive bonuses like the old system where you'd be able to enhance the type of playstyle you wish to be doing, and instead of a linear pathing system forks in the talents would instead give 3 options ( similar to the current talent system), so it would be both the old and new talent system combined.

Now I know this might seem like it would be op to have all abilities but said abilities would be somewhat weaker versions untalented, for example spells would have longer cast times and heal for less, the bonuses to healing ,damage or mitigation would be in the respective trees as well as the customization options.

It might seem like there would be too many abilities to use but in fact since we are capped by the global cooldown we wouldn't be able to use them all and as such it will be a " which ability is most useful now" type of situation where you'd obviously have to consider your talents and desired spec which would obviously increase the output and flavor of the desired playstyle, so you wouldn't feel as if you'd have to use abilities from other specs unless you talented that way specifically.

Another advantage of having this type of system is the benefit of having a plethora of additional abilities and freedom of spec flexibility ( hybrid spec building) which can come in handy in a variety of situations in different kinds of content, this would open up countless possibilities and increase depth of gameplay where decision-making and spec building can once again be fruitful.

What do you guys think ? please be constructive if you agree/disagree , i'd love to hear why you think this a good/bad idea.
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-11-06 at 03:59 PM.

I don't think that your suggestion is even necessary tbh. People want their spells back? Okay, give them their spells back. So, as a frost mage you get your fire and arcane spells back but you only use your major frost spells for your rotation/priority list.
    People miss the flavor of classes? Sure, here you go. The only problem, in my opinion, is giving spells certain utilities back and we end up in the same place where we were before were classes had an answer to everything. Example: Death's Advance or that rogue sprint ability which end up breaking pvp in many areas. There is room for separate pvp talents, but those don't feel good, at least to me.

Important spells classes need back which they already touched upon: auras, stances, poisons, but I also think that giving buffs back to all classes and specs would be a great thing.