Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Well... tell me the purpose of a level 120 boost for anything but marketability when a level 50 squish is all but confirmed.
    The boost is for people that want to save time leveling up a new character. It always brings you to the new starting level of the newest expansion, so you can get right in on the new experience. In Shadowlands, 50 is the new starting point for that expansion's content, which is equivalent to 120 today.

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    So with the shortest level time EVER and ZERO new abilities leveling becomes meaningful in shadowland how?
    YOu gonna spend less time leveling then EVER before in Shadowlands.
    That's just an assumption. It really depends what they do with the numbers. My guess is that would probably keep the time needed to level around the same. Currently they adjust the amount of exp needed/given every expansion. If you have to play through an entire expansion properly to level from 0 to 50 i'm not sure that would be more or less time. The expansion you pick would also factor into this.

Squish is good, I just don’t give a shit about it personally as I don’t have any need to go back and level. It is completely necessary though.

The ideal at this point would be a sequel, game is too old and has had too many changes of heart. You’ve got systems so long in the tooth they’ve changed and reverted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    You are completely misunderstanding the level squish. U will still be able to solo content you were soloing until now. And 0-60 will just take as long as 0-130. The only thing that changes is everything will have lower level idicator. If you think that they shit on older players because end game content will be 60lvl you have some problems with yourself mate.
    and why u don't think that u have the problem with urself if u don't see any difference with a very obvious lvl squish that is made for making the game less daunting for new players so they see that they don't have much journey ahead? the thing that we spent 15 years in it?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by insert random number View Post
    That's just an assumption. It really depends what they do with the numbers. My guess is that would probably keep the time needed to level around the same. Currently they adjust the amount of exp needed/given every expansion. If you have to play through an entire expansion properly to level from 0 to 50 i'm not sure that would be more or less time. The expansion you pick would also factor into this.
    They already stated leveling times are going to be 60%-70% faster from 1-50 in Shadowlands vs 1-120 now.

However, the goal is to make each level more meaningful (including 50-60, for the first time in 3? expansions) by giving new spells/etc every level.

I agree, especially after leveling one of every class to 120... what's even the purpose of a new 120 boost if it's getting squished to 50? What the hell level are my level 80 twinks going to be!?
    The purpose is that if you have a level 50 character now, after the squish it will not be 50 but much lower.
    If you want to play BfA now you boost to 120 and do your things, how is this hard to grasp?
    pane, nutella e demon hunter

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    if u staying the same, why they doing it then? u seriously saying it is the same when the number is different? why even bother doing it if it is just the same?
    Plz tell us HOW its different.

But since you asked first, ill have to answer.
    Its, for one, so new players dont get demotivated by the amount of levels.
    Its so you only have to level 49 levels in one continent...and not 100.
    Its a more clean and streamlined leveling.

it used to be that u get new talents and abilities, so no ur power doesn't get reset
    in TBC u learned 5 new spells
    in wrath some classes 2 and others 3, and i still remember ppl mocking blizz giving less abilities than tbc and they had to defend by making a far more complex talent tree (which they did, and it gave them a nightmare to balance in entire exp, if u remember 50/50 comb/sub rogue built with infinity combo points, healadin with protection built, etc)
    then came cata and they started to regress ur power by screwing talents, then wod finished it off with pruning even abilities u learn
    So no, for at least at start u used to grow in power every exp, now u get weaker because they are too lazy to work, as they even flat out admitted during BFA that they aren't really working on it (which caused a big pita for PR and they had to retract that word later and say it was out of context etc)
    What has the amount of spells have anything to do with the squish.
    If Blizzard desires they can give you 100 new spells from level 1 to level 2.

The amount of spells you get is HOLINKA's fault.
    NOT the squish's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    The boost is for people that want to save time leveling up a new character. It always brings you to the new starting level of the newest expansion, so you can get right in on the new experience. In Shadowlands, 50 is the new starting point for that expansion's content, which is equivalent to 120 today.
    I understand what it's being changed to. I don't understand the why. It's just numbers, right? It's all marketability. 130 seems intimidating to new players who are scared of a variable and probably have no place or patience to play an MMO to begin with, so they're squishing it to make it more user friendly. I can't blame them, but it's counter intuitive to 15 years of character progressions. I get it, it's just a visual. No achievements are wiped, no power lost. I concede on those ends, my gripe is quickly becoming these are being called expansion features that could have and probably should have been patched content.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    Player Power will be the same relative to the environment. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

What you're upset about is not relevant to game play.

Quote Originally Posted by this is caranthir View Post
    The purpose is that if you have a level 50 character now, after the squish it will not be 50 but much lower.
    If you want to play BfA now you boost to 120 and do your things, how is this hard to grasp?
    It's not hard to grasp, but for players who already have a bunch of 120 characters and have played BfA, this is enticing how? How is the Epic Edition justifiable? I get that it's not just about veteran players, they want to attract new players too, but they can't have their cake and eat it too. The level squish is going to alienate a part of their fan base. Hopefully the influx of players attracted by only having to level to 60 can overcompensate for said alienation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Because, this expansion is the same old shit, only trying to be a little more like Classic.
    oh my god... Yes its fucking WOW. it doesnt change into a shiny new game you never played before

dont play it if you dont like the core game... easy as that

It's not hard to grasp, but for players who already have a bunch of 120 characters and have played BfA, this is enticing how? How is the Epic Edition justifiable? I get that it's not just about veteran players, they want to attract new players too, but they can't have their cake and eat it too. The level squish is going to alienate a part of their fan base. Hopefully the influx of players attracted by only having to level to 60 can overcompensate for said alienation.
    As someone who's been playing since 2004, I welcome this change. It will allow me to greater enjoy making some alts.

Good for new players, good for alts... it's only really bad if someone feels tied to that number or misunderstands the system.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and think back on the fun times you had, and realize that that is what matters most. Whether your shaman says 120 or 50, you played that character during the times when those levels mattered.

There are some people that get upset when they see that TBC quest greens beat out vanilla raid drops, and they ask "Why did I bother farming that raid?". People like to retroactively devalue their past based on the present and future, but that's silly. The point of those raid drops was valid back then. The levels were valid when YOU gained them. Just because they are gone, doesn't mean you didn't have fun back then.

Quote Originally Posted by kattarina View Post
    Now you can choose all of them is you want. You can start with Legion and end in Kalimdor if you want. You just don't outlvl the zones anymore and there's no lvl requirements to start.
    The 1-10 I imagine is no diferent then a pandaren or worgen starting zone where you can't realy leave. We'll see how that works tho.
    I would enjoy being in any zone, not just expansion, I want. However, seems they also wont be addressing the scaling issues still where the mobs get stronger and you get weaker. I hate the starting zoens for pandaren and the type beyond the first play through. Forced story isn't fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    You are assuming that level 1-10 will take the same amount of time/work as 10-20 or 50-60 Oo

Also, thats kinda the same it is now, the first 10-15 levels you also do nothing substantial.
    Honestly you people whine and bitch about anything without even having half the Information.
    No, I don't assume it will take the same amount of time/work as 10-20. I assume it will be boring just like ever other leveling scenario that is identical is beyond the first go. Dk's, DH's, pandaren, worgen and goblin. They all have this type of leveling scenario for the first few levels. Its nice once, maybe twice. Beyond that, it sucks and is boring AF. Scenarios with stupid AI is even worse. That is why the intro to WoD sucks so darn much. Its annoying after the first time.

Its not "half the information". Its all of it. A closed leveling experience will be boring. We already know that from what we already have in game. Right now, you can choose where you level from 1-15 As well as doing other things like professions, darkmoon fair or even pet battles to level that. Being stuck in a starting zone means that even if you do pet battles, if you can, you're stuck there.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

How about people that levelled their character waaaay back during Vanilla/BC ? They had to do soooo many things that are now obsolete (level up their weapon skills, buy their spells, etc..) ? Do they get an "instakill" button for their troubles ?

No they don't. And that's normal.

They'll give us a Feat of Strengh, achievement or even a mount/toy/pet if people whine enough, which has already started I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    As someone who's been playing since 2004, I welcome this change. It will allow me to greater enjoy making some alts.

Good for new players, good for alts... it's only really bad if someone feels tied to that number or misunderstands the system.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and think back on the fun times you had, and realize that that is what matters most. Whether your shaman says 120 or 50, you played that character during the times when those levels mattered.

There are some people that get upset when they see that TBC quest greens beat out vanilla raid drops, and they ask "Why did I bother farming that raid?". People like to retroactively devalue their past based on the present and future, but that's silly. The point of those raid drops was valid back then. The levels were valid when YOU gained them. Just because they are gone, doesn't mean you didn't have fun back then.
    True, you make a good point, and I'm beginning to see it that way. The vanity in me just resisted just because I spent so long building up a roster of high level characters, but I guess it'll be the same come 9.0, they'll only be level 50 instead of 120 or, 130. I also broke down the economics of the Epic Edition which I was initially going to buy, then disappointed when we got no new class or class re-skins announcement, but then analyzing it further, should I choose to play, which I'm not entirely sure yet, it's worth it.

Mount Value: $30? Ugly, but eh, free mount.
    Transmog Set Value: $10? Is that what those 3 retired helms cost? It looks like it'd only look good on a mage or paladin, but it's free so why not.
    120 Boost Value: $60. (Will level boosts go away in 9.0? Let's essentially call it buying a max level character. Still a 60 dollar value.
    1 Month Game Time Value: $15
    Pet Value: $10 It's plain looking like the mount, but eh, it's still free I guess.
    Expansion Itself Value: $39.99

So that's like a $165 value for $80. Even if I unsub two months after 9.0 launches after I see the story because I have no new class to level from scratch, I guess it's still a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    they are trying to remove leveling completly.

they are just to big pussies to do it now.

but i bet 10.0 will remove leveling completly.

its pretty obvious they want to turn wow into seasonal instance symulator at this point.

this will backfire so bad at them .

after a second thought - i want to make a bet .

want to bet that they will reduce boosts prices to 25-30 euro ?

time cut in half - boost price cut in half - lets sell boosts because leveling dont matter anyway

hel lthats their endgame .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2019-11-02 at 08:07 PM.

Well... tell me the purpose of a level 120 boost for anything but marketability when a level 50 squish is all but confirmed.

To have instant 50 (120 will become 50 once 9.0 hits) in SL, so you can instantly start questing in new areas, DOH?!

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    To have instant 50 (120 will become 50 once 9.0 hits) in SL, so you can instantly start questing in new areas, DOH?!
    All right, I got it! I'm pre-purchasing, but I'm still mad at no new class!

I understand what it's being changed to. I don't understand the why. It's just numbers, right? It's all marketability. 130 seems intimidating to new players who are scared of a variable and probably have no place or patience to play an MMO to begin with, so they're squishing it to make it more user friendly. I can't blame them, but it's counter intuitive to 15 years of character progressions. I get it, it's just a visual. No achievements are wiped, no power lost. I concede on those ends, my gripe is quickly becoming these are being called expansion features that could have and probably should have been patched content.
    thats the biggest bs possible.

look at the mobile gaming models where peopel ding every 10 minutes.

and this hooks people .

i dont belive devs even for a second that people have problem with this.

im sticking to my tinfoil hat theory - they cut time in half they cut boost prices in half and sell milions of them - because when 60 euro is quite a lot - 25-30 is somethign that people will be more then willing to throw away in 1 gaming session.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    thats the biggest bs possible.

look at the mobile gaming models where peopel ding every 10 minutes.

and this hooks people .

i dont belive devs even for a second that people have problem with this.

im sticking to my tinfoil hat theory - they cut time in half they cut boost prices in half and sell milions of them - because when 60 euro is quite a lot - 25-30 is somethign that people will be more then willing to throw away in 1 gaming session.
    Is that what's going to happen to level boosts? That's a good theory, hadn't considered it.