Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Anima is just Azerite.

OP here.

[Edit 11/5] I'm editing the thread to my updated view since people like to necro this thread and post replies 3 days later :>

Ion did say that Anima is going to be like Valor.
    But it isn't like Valor.
    The reason it isn't like Valor is because Valor had a weekly hard-cap. You couldn't continue to grind it.
    Anima grinding is uncapped, However, Anima usage is weekly hard-capped.
    It would be like being able to get more than 1000 valor points per week. So people that want too can gain endless valor points and stockpile.

What does that mean?
    You can only gain so much power (1000) from it every week - It's a timegate for progression raiders, there is a fixed weekly limit on progression
    You can infinitely grind it (5000+ per week) and use Anima to buy items which don't affect power.

Instead of letting people grind infinitely, and then needing to bump up the power levels to the nth % to entirely negate the hard work those players invested as a catch up mechanic - they're instead just putting a hard-cap on the power that can be gained weekly.

The catch-up mechanic seems to be quests (only for those which have fallen behind) which will allow them to gain what they would have usually gained from previous weekly hard-caps, like talents, had they been around.

TL;DR
    - You can continue endlessly obtaining anima.
    - you will only be able to use a small amount of that anima every week, so it's timegated.
    - This allows players to effectively always have anima in reserve for future weeks.
    - but not be able to use that anima on anything asides from cosmetics or things that do not result in a direct gain of power.
    - players that weren't around for previous weeks will get quests that give them the reward obtained from those weeks.

What this means:

Progression raiders only need to log in once a week to do their weekly anima turn-in and log off until the next weekly hand-in. They can do the grinding any time they want to stockpile anima.
    Last edited by JohnnyMccrum; 2019-11-05 at 02:42 PM.

If it's anything like the rifts in Diablo 3, I'll be super happy. I've spent so many hours blasting through them with friends!

And I'm interested in learning more about Anima. If it is just another AP grind with a different name, I'll be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    If it's anything like the rifts in Diablo 3, I'll be super happy. I've spent so many hours blasting through them with friends!

And I'm interested in learning more about Anima. If it is just another AP grind with a different name, I'll be sad.
    The problem isn't what it is, the problem is what it makes you lose. If you introduce something that randomly generates a dungeon and it's random every time like a Rift, maybe even with the affixes, there's the very possible reality that the next expansion is hyper focused on that while you end up with a total of 5 dungeons because of it. With the focus on M+ and how popular that has been, you'd think they'd give more dungeons for more variety, but you can walk away with less. Good things sometimes have negative consequences
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

This is why I am skeptical still about Shadowlands. It looks interesting so far, but they gave us the bait, now I'm waiting on the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    The problem isn't what it is, the problem is what it makes you lose. If you introduce something that randomly generates a dungeon and it's random every time like a Rift, maybe even with the affixes, there's the very possible reality that the next expansion is hyper focused on that while you end up with a total of 5 dungeons because of it. With the focus on M+ and how popular that has been, you'd think they'd give more dungeons for more variety, but you can walk away with less. Good things sometimes have negative consequences
    Oh for sure, but if it's just one or two per expansion, with a decent set of premade dungeons, that's fine by me. I don't need 10 unique hand crafted dungeons. Frankly, they all get much the same eventually anyway and people figure out the best ways to deal with x and y. Where as randomly generated always has the chance of creating a curveball you weren't expecting and have to figure out on the fly.

The tower is blizzards Palace of the Dead from FF. It looks intresting with that mechanic to change/upgrade spells.

Also i doubt were gonna have a system like AP grind (i mean Ion was pretty clear), we dont know about the soulbinds system yet. Lets wait and see after todays panel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    But, give it 4-5 months of updates here and elsewhere
    Maybe you should follow your own advice, and wait 4-5 months before you start talking about somethig you do't know anythin about. If it it turns out anima isn't something we gather physically to improve ourselves then it's not the same and your confidence will only look stupid.

Anima means soul in Italian.
    The soul of people goes to the Shadowlands and there it produces Anima which is errr... soul?
    /3 cents

Where did you get this ridiculous notion? They said no AP grind. Anima is just the word they use for soul in the shadowlands. Wait untill the deep dive and we ll know. There will be some form of grind just not AP style of grind. Its an MMO there needs to be some grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Where did you get this ridiculous notion? They said no AP grind. Anima is just the word they use for soul in the shadowlands. Wait untill the deep dive and we ll know. There will be some form of grind just not AP style of grind. Its an MMO there needs to be some grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupinemancer View Post
    Maybe you should follow your own advice, and wait 4-5 months before you start talking about somethig you do't know anythin about. If it it turns out anima isn't something we gather physically to improve ourselves then it's not the same and your confidence will only look stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakajz View Post
    Anima means soul in Italian.
    The soul of people goes to the Shadowlands and there it produces Anima which is errr... soul?
    /3 cents
    *Sigh*

Like I said, you guys DON'T want to believe it. but you'll SEE in 4-5 months that Anima IS just Azerite.

Trust me, we all want to have some hope that Blizzard wouldn't just turn Anima into this expansions Azerite Grind, but it's something that's going to happen no matter how much you guys don't want it or deny it.

Believe me on this one. I'm sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    They said it's like capping valor, so you do some stuff and then you're fine, if you fall behind, there are WQ, which just give you a level to catch up to par again

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Could be, but they literally stated there would be no "AP grind" in Shadowlands.

AP existing without the grind would be fine.
    Lawyer talk , thats all that was
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

They cannot make the game without this system now. Apexis, Artifact Power, Azerite...and now Anima.
    Honestly, I dont think Azerite is a bad system. Its a way alongside your Level and Gear to make Progress, making Progress is fun.
    Its what people make out of it is whats not fun. People think its mandatory to Grind the Progress.
    Its Not. If you just have it alongside, you get a Level, and a maybe a new boon, and you feel stronger. Thats a nice thing.

Oh, and that tower in the middle of the Maw. It's literally like one of those Hearthstone repeatable adventures and a diablo rift...but in WoW. Hearthstone used to make real content and real bosses before they started to make those. It's the repeatable-island content of this expansion. Don't let Blizzard keep making those or you might find yourself with no handcrafted dungeons at all come next expansion.
    I doubt the will stop making Handcrafted Dungeons. I welcome the idea of Improving on the Boring Islands, if they pull it off, and the Tower is actually fun. Where is the Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Oh for sure, but if it's just one or two per expansion, with a decent set of premade dungeons, that's fine by me. I don't need 10 unique hand crafted dungeons. Frankly, they all get much the same eventually anyway and people figure out the best ways to deal with x and y. Where as randomly generated always has the chance of creating a curveball you weren't expecting and have to figure out on the fly.
    Agreed, you most of the time end up only playing a few of them anyway. Because you A: Dont like them or B: They dont drop the Loot you want or C: They somehow feel much harder than its worth.

*Sigh*

Like I said, you guys DON'T want to believe it. but you'll SEE in 4-5 months that Anima IS just Azerite.
    We already know there isn't going to be an infinitely repeatable source akin to Islands in Shadowlands. So that's going to be rather hard.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    We already know there isn't going to be an infinitely repeatable source akin to Islands in Shadowlands. So that's going to be rather hard.
    Gotta boost those MAU . Islands were a complete failure, as were Warfronts, no surprise they were not used again . That doesnt mean that Anima is not the new AP . Even a blind man can see this
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

There's nothing inherently wrong with AP in itself. A way of progression for your character outside of raids/dungeons is a good thing, despite what some people may believe. Problem begins when it's turned into an endless, neverending grind.

So far, we've been promised it won't be an endless grind. If they keep that promise, then I have no issues with new "AP".
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

The way it is described, it literally sounds like Valor, considering it even has a weekly cap.

Isnt that what everyone asked for?

Also, lol, how were Apexis remotely comparable to AP?

Obviously, they don't want you to know Anima is just Azerite just yet.
    LOL WHY? Obviously? What obviously? And the reason why exists, I'm sure ??

"Hey guys, my dominant jungian cognitive function is (most likely) introverted intutition, which means that extraverted sensing aka FACTS AND REAL WORLD DATA is my achilles-heel. All I need is to connect dot + dot and = introverted subjective pattern that trumps everything. It just feels right. What on earth would I need any external sensory data for when it feels THIS right? Trust me, I just know. I'm never wrong either, because I never ever do the sensory data-thing, so I'll just confirm all my subjective notions with subjective notions. Np. Trust me."

You're crazy. You're also wrong. Real world sensory data: Blizzard have said that there will be no AP grind in Shadowlands. That's some real hard sensory data right there. Just because you're doing the "Apexis + AP + Azerite + .... ANIMA!!!!!" doesn't make it true in any way shape or form. You might not wanna believe it, but it's the truth. Trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Gotta boost those MAU . Islands were a complete failure, as were Warfronts, no surprise they were not used again . That doesnt mean that Anima is not the new AP . Even a blind man can see this
    If a blind man can see it, there's probably something wrong with it.

"You will, during the course of your adventures in the Shadowlands, be gathering anima from various sources and you can put it towards a bunch of different ends. and one of those is powering up your soulbind. but we want it to be something that you can do at the beginning of your play session. It's something you can take a little bite out of, get yourself an additional "Talent point" or soulbind ability, and then go out and play with it for the rest of the day. The name of the game in Shadowlands is player agency. We don't want there to be an infinitely grindable system like Artifact Power or Azerite. We want you to be able to feel like you can do that, and then you can go off and do some other stuff.

Wowhead: So you don't like people farming islands for 80 hours a week?

There's no infinitely grindable system in Shadowlands. We want there to be tons of different things you can do. You can do what you want to do for anima."

This is not even close to AP.