Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    She must study fast. No one else has ever received powers that fast and shown them off to combat whatever danger she is in during any said cinematic. That is just garbage writing no matter the platform.
    More like you are not able to grasp the fact that things happen outside of our characters' points of view. We do not know the full extent of Sylvanas' bargain will Helya. All we knew about was the lantern given to her to enslave Eyir. Nor do we know how she got in contact with the Jailer nor how long that has been going on nor what he gave to her.

What do you think is going to happen as we progress through Shadowlands? We are going to be filling in the gaps and figuring this all out.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    So again there are retcons on top of retcons from Warcraft III to WOTLK to now.
    Well, first and foremost, Chronicles is the go-to resource now. So if it is covered in those books, then it does not matter what has happened in previous expansions. Blizzard painted themselves into a corner a bit so they used Chronicles to reset that.

Your example of the Val'kyr is off though. Who dies to become Val'kyr? Vrykul. Odin draws from those in Stormheim. Arthas drew from those in Northrend that served him. So no retcon there. We saw it happen in both the Halls of Valor and in Utgarde Pinnacle.

As for the other things, that was simply our ignorance at play. We did not know the ramifications of killing Arthas until the spirit of King Terenas told us... there must always be a Lich King lest the Scourge go out of control. Nor were we aware of the full extent of the helm's powers or what its destruction would do.
    Last edited by Eosia; 2019-11-03 at 12:45 PM.

chronicles volume1 was already written as pile of shit. it had so much trash and skips that it was obvious blizzard doesn't care

just make a favor to everyone. don't buy anything from them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    More like you are not able to grasp the fact that things happen outside of our characters' points of view. We do not know the full extent of Sylvanas' bargain will Helya. All we knew about was the lantern given to her to enslave Eyir. Nor do we know how she got in contact with the Jailer nor how long that has been going on nor what he gave to her.

What do you think is going to happen as we progress through Shadowlands? We are going to be filling in the gaps and figuring this all out.

Well, first and foremost, Chronicles is the go-to resource now. So if it is covered in those books, then it does not matter what has happened in previous expansions. Blizzard painted themselves into a corner a bit so they used Chronicles to reset that.

Your example of the Val'kyr is off though. Who dies to become Val'kyr? Vrykul. Odin draws from those in Stormheim. Arthas drew from those in Northrend that served him. So no retcon there. We saw it happen in both the Halls of Valor and in Utgarde Pinnacle.

As for the other things, that was simply our ignorance at play. We did not know the ramifications of killing Arthas until the spirit of King Terenas told us... there must always be a Lich King lest the Scourge go out of control. Nor were we aware of the full extent of the helm's powers or what its destruction would do.
    Changing lore is not the same as expanding lore. As you yourself just said, lore has changed as time progresses.

When we first saw "Valkyr" in WOTLK they were constructs created by Arthas and not servants of Odin. That was retconned later in Legion. You can claim it was "expanded" lore, but really it was a retcon. The original Valkyr were purely undead servants of Arthas and the Legion with powerful necromantic abillities and nothing hinted they were part of any lore associated with "death" or the "shadowlands" outside of the legion's death magic. Odin and Helya had absolutely nothing to do with the WOTLK Valkyr and the Vyrkul that were turned into Valkyr were purely due to the Lich King's powers. They even had a site named Valkyrion in Northrend as if to say this is where the lore and name Valkyr originated, with the scourge and death magic.

Basically your "expanding the lore" means they are making it up as they go. Otherwise if all these elements of lore were mapped out in advance long ago, the story would be more consistent. But it isn't and largely lore developments serve gameplay and is created as the game goes on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Maybe just maybe that a series of books which was labeled as the "ultimate wow lore compendium" would be that but alas we see how that was going and that YOU would defend this isn´t really suprising giving your attitude in the warlock forum...
    I am a strong proponent of common sense, not a usual thing in these forums. Bite me.

You want to treat everything ever written in any sort of lore as immutable truth? Boy, you gonna be in for a tough time, no matter whether it's Blizzard or anything else.

Things change and evolve over time. It's same as crying over how Superman was retconned 500 times. The shit just happens because eventually there is so much piles of old crap, that you simply need to toss it aside and start anew or at least to clean up the mess.

It's like bloody Azeroth was a name of a kingdom in Warcraft 1 and now lo hello it's a bloody Titan. OoooOoOOOOOoooo HOW DARE U BLIZZERD *ravenous screeching*!

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record - there will be outright retcons in future.

Blizzard does take its IP lore seriously, claiming otherwise is just pure nonsense. But sometimes they end up writing themselves into a corner or succumbing to some external pressure/constraints that leads to the whole pile of steaming bullshit like WoD and they end up having to amend things.

Thinking some printed book gonna be end all ultimate lore, that's silly. I can bet that 10-15 years from now things gonna be pretty different and maybe even contradictory in some cases, but as usual we will somehow survive that calamity.

It's like Marvel and such - they end up retconning and changing shit, because eventually they reach that "we gotta do this shit" point. Wanna go cry how they don't care about their IP? That IP is their everything and sometimes changes are inevitable and necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I am a strong proponent of common sense, not a usual thing in these forums. Bite me.

You want to treat everything ever written in any sort of lore as immutable truth? Boy, you gonna be in for a tough time, no matter whether it's Blizzard or anything else.

Things change and evolve over time. It's same as crying over how Superman was retconned 500 times. The shit just happens because eventually there is so much piles of old crap, that you simply need to toss it aside and start anew or at least to clean up the mess.

It's like bloody Azeroth was a name of a kingdom in Warcraft 1 and now lo hello it's a bloody Titan. OoooOoOOOOOoooo HOW DARE U BLIZZERD *ravenous screeching*!
    Common sense would involve making even a token effort to understand what the other poster wrote. The explicitly stated purpose of Chronicles was to straighten out the mess of Warcraft lore and set a baseline from which to build. That's just been thrown out the window.

Oh, and your example is how to do it right by the way. Azeroth the kingdom was named after dim memories of Azeroth the Titan, playing into the ideas of forgotten past and legends. In other words, it builds on what was already there, rather than tearing it down and slapping a mini-mall on the old site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    I am betting on Shadowlands explaining why Sylvannas suddenly got so strong, and that why lies in The Maw.
    I'll save you the trouble of that bet. She got so strong because Danuser is the cringiest of fanboys, writing her as the ultimate teenager bait. If their "GENIUS" level story required her to have Nature magic, she'd suddenly sprout entire rosebushes out of every hole.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    I'll save you the trouble of that bet. She got so strong because Danuser is the cringiest of fanboys, writing her as the ultimate teenager bait. If their "GENIUS" level story required her to have Nature magic, she'd suddenly sprout entire rosebushes out of every hole.
    even Malfurion would be in awe at her mastery of druidism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Common sense would involve making even a token effort to understand what the other poster wrote. The explicitly stated purpose of Chronicles was to straighten out the mess of Warcraft lore and set a baseline from which to build. That's just been thrown out the window.
    And it did just that. I read all 3 books, I have them right in my place.

They certainly clear a lot of stuff up, so I am not even bloody sure what are you bitching about. As for your Azeroth blip, whatever you said is a prime example of a Windmill you are fighting - eventually stuff will get cleared up in this way and it's fine. Just like Elune will somehow end up being a reformed Void Lord or some shit like that or whatever other thing they make up there.

No need to raise pitchforks over everything. And certainly pretending like Chronicles are end all be all lore - that's just silly, simply because huge parts of Warcraft universe are not even made or well defined yet besides "yeah there is this thing".

Like they literally said themselves in the panel - yeah there always were Shadowlands and there was some sort of definition there, but what we get in the expansion - a lot of it they had to define from scratch, because all in all - it is a new lore. So yeah, you won't read in Chronicles about "Kyrians" because it simply was not a thing back then.

Is this a "retcon" or is this some sort of sacrilege rendering Chronicles invalid? No, it's simply an expansion of the universe that will evolve over they years much more and further.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-11-03 at 01:46 PM.

Wow... just wow. The amount of "sand-in-vagina" whining...

"Omg this doesn't align with the story of Warcraft I from 25 years ago, MOMMY!!!!! Blizzard is bad company!!!!".

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-11-03 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Received Infraction
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I doubt the rift was always there.

The power of Death has been growing, especially during BFA with all the souls that have been fed into the hungry dark by Sylvanas. We see the Death Entity bound in chains, implying that he's been imprisoned for a long time.

Breaking the helm of domination and releasing the power inside it was probably the last thing needed to tear open the rift.
    Yep! And icecrown has always been told to be a place that veiled azeroth and shadowlands. What we didn't know is how to get to Shadowlands exactly. And supposedly Frostmourne, the helm, and the frozen throne all draw the same energy, and when Frostmourne was destroyed it should have had the same effect as the helm did, but i guess something was missing, and that something is what Sylvanas has been doing, i think also her suicide was a way to talk with the jailor at the maw, and after that day start this journey to open the portal between life and death.

I actually like this. I Also think bolvar with just the helm, and not the full kit like with Frostmourne and how more dead he was instead of alive before been giving the task of lich king, and showing how Sylvanas has been grown on power, that it made sense for him to lose.

And it did just that. I read all 3 books, I have them right in my place.

They certainly clear a lot of stuff up, so I am not even bloody sure what are you bitching about.
    Yes, it's pretty obvious you don't understand the posts you're whining about.

As for your Azeroth blip, whatever you said is a prime example of a Windmill you are fighting - eventually stuff will get cleared up in this way and it's fine. Just like Elune will somehow end up being a reformed Void Lord or some shit like that or whatever other thing they make up there.
    You really don't bother reading, do you? I gave that as an example of how to build correctly, as opposed to just trashing anything inconvenient.

And certainly pretending like Chronicles are end all be all lore
    It's not pretending when the company that wrote and published them explicitly sold them as the definitive version.

Like they literally said themselves in the panel - yeah there always were Shadowlands and there was some sort of definition there, but what we get in the expansion - a lot of it they had to define from scratch, because all in all - it is a new lore. So yeah, you won't read in Chronicles about "Kyrians" because it simply was not a thing back then.
    No shit, new things will be added? That has nothing to do with the point of the thread. The entire purpose of Chronicles was to set a baseline because of what a damn mess the lore was, then build any future structures using that baseline. That's been thrown out the window.

Is this a "retcon" or is this some sort of sacrilege rendering Chronicles invalid?
    When they declared books written and sold as Doylist were suddenly Watsonian all along, yes that pretty neatly invalidates them.

When we first saw "Valkyr" in WOTLK they were constructs created by Arthas and not servants of Odin. That was retconned later in Legion. You can claim it was "expanded" lore, but really it was a retcon. The original Valkyr were purely undead servants of Arthas and the Legion with powerful necromantic abillities and nothing hinted they were part of any lore associated with "death" or the "shadowlands" outside of the legion's death magic. Odin and Helya had absolutely nothing to do with the WOTLK Valkyr and the Vyrkul that were turned into Valkyr were purely due to the Lich King's powers. They even had a site named Valkyrion in Northrend as if to say this is where the lore and name Valkyr originated, with the scourge and death magic.
    Thank you for priving my point, this was when we first saw the Val'kyr. And by no means did we become experts. All we knew is that they were spiritual forms from female Vrykul as we saw with Svala's transformation in Utgarde Pinnacle. But that does not mean that is all the Val'kir or the only way they could be created.

And where in Wrath of the Lich King were we on the Broken Isles? Where did we see Valarjar? Where did we see a Val'kyr-less Odin? We did not. We learned there were OTHER Vrykul and thus OTHER Val'kyr.

As for Valkyrion, you do remember that the world of Azeroth used to be a giant contintent right? And thus the Vrykul were once one people but were separated by the Cataclysm. Some ended up on Northrend, others ended up in the Broken Isles. We have seen this already with Night Elves surviving in Suramar as well as those that ended up in Kalimdor.

Basically your "expanding the lore" means they are making it up as they go. Otherwise if all these elements of lore were mapped out in advance long ago, the story would be more consistent. But it isn't and largely lore developments serve gameplay and is created as the game goes on.
    How is the story inconsistent? You're completely ignoring the fact that we are talking about the same race of people. You're acting like the humans that were in Theramore and those in Stormwind are two completely different species.

15+ Year Old Account
    Death under to the power of demons does not equate to the shadowlands as seen at Blizzcon 2019.
    It is still connected through the cosmic forces. The Lich King got its powers from somewhere and it was not through fel magic. He was killed then returned as a spectral entity after he was already turned into just a spirit. The Legion clearly were killing him for a specific purpose and when he was killed he gained a bunch of new powers. It is clear that death and realms of death had some part to play.It is not a retcon to find out exactly what happened. Nothing indicates that it was clearly not the shadow lands. That is the point. It can't be a retcon if it it doesn't explicitly go against what lore came before. It may change how you and other percieved it or what you assumed. But that doesn't make it a retcon.

The Nathrezim are still "aliens". From a planet that got corrupted by the Legion and then destroyed by Illidan. We have also seen one instance of a lightforged Nathrezim. It isn't a retcon for them to show up in other places. Vrykul were never stated to be created by just the Lich King. So no retcon. Halls of Valor do not need to be in the shadowlands in order to exist. You keep saying all of these things are retcons when it is simply finding out more information on a subject.

Also https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Odyn Odyn dealt with the Shadow Lands so clearly he has been connected to them in the past. Which explains, vaguely, why some Vyrkul go to him when they die or how he has a little power over death. It also states that both Odyn and Helya worked together to create the Halls and "dead vrykul guardians" because they didn't like putting all the trust in the dragon aspects. True or just an in-lore fairy tale. We won't know until other lore comes out.

But it shows the connections exist waiting to be made more substantial with newer lore.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-11-03 at 04:22 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Thank you for priving my point, this was when we first saw the Val'kyr. And by no means did we become experts. All we knew is that they were spiritual forms from female Vrykul as we saw with Svala's transformation in Utgarde Pinnacle. But that does not mean that is all the Val'kir or the only way they could be created.

And where in Wrath of the Lich King were we on the Broken Isles? Where did we see Valarjar? Where did we see a Val'kyr-less Odin? We did not. We learned there were OTHER Vrykul and thus OTHER Val'kyr.

As for Valkyrion, you do remember that the world of Azeroth used to be a giant contintent right? And thus the Vrykul were once one people but were separated by the Cataclysm. Some ended up on Northrend, others ended up in the Broken Isles. We have seen this already with Night Elves surviving in Suramar as well as those that ended up in Kalimdor.

How is the story inconsistent? You're completely ignoring the fact that we are talking about the same race of people. You're acting like the humans that were in Theramore and those in Stormwind are two completely different species.
    My overall point is that as new expansions get released they very often retcon previous lore as the basis for new gameplay and zones. This is nothing new and started long before shadowlands, going all the way back to Vanilla. Therefore it makes no sense to deny it or pretend that it hasn't happened and wont continue to happen as time goes on. It is a game and as such it isn't that big of a deal when it does happen. Most times people do call the changes but given the nature of the cinematic and nature of the expansion it is going to be more of a discussion point than usual. It also makes it a bit harder to ignore in some ways when said retcons are a core theme of the new xpac.

As for specifics, the Broken Isles were sunk in WC III. They were the domain of an ancient elven prison used to hold Sargeras by the Aegwynn. Seeing as those islands were sunk there were no ancient races or inhabitants living there. All of those new races are retcons from Legion. Just like the dead becoming "new races" in the shadowlands is a retcon as well. It is just there fore the purpose of gameplay and nothing else. There is no point even trying to justify it other than for that purpose.

Heck almost every expansion has been based on a retcon on some level. BFA is no different either. Kul Tirans as "fat humans" is one example.

I guess for me is "death" going to broken to the point of no return as a result of this expansion? Because to start, it makes no sense that the leader of the "undead" who for all intents and purposes is the very antithesis of natural death and the shadowlands would make a deal with a "death entity" to provide new souls to the realm of death. First, why is an undead abomination responsible for the warding of souls to the afterlife if this is such an ancient force that existed even prior to the Titans? And second, why would a powerful being in the realm of death need such an abomination whose very existence contradicts death and the natural flow of souls to the land of the dead for help? The two beings are inherently at odds with one another.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2019-11-03 at 05:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    So we learn that Lich King is the guardian of the rifts between two worlds and without him, the sky is basically shattered and the barrier between worlds of life and death is shattered. So, before Kil'jaeden created the Lich King and threw him into Azeroth, there was no barrier between life and death,r ight? So The War of the Ancients looked completely different, with Val'kyr, etc. And why there are no mentions in ingame books about The Happening - like "A meteor just crashed in Northrend and now everything looks completely different! People that died just vanished! Sky looks strange, it's not shattered anymore!"
    Or did they just retcon Lich King whatsoever and Ner'zhul never existed and Lich King was always a being of the Shadowlands?
    I think that everything was normal before, just with the "guardian" role being shared between all the death dieties on Azeroth. But when Kil'jaeden created Lich King, he gathered the death power from around our realm and forged it into the Crown of Domination. So now things, that were shared is now given solely to the Lich King.

So when she shattered the realm, an insane amount of power were released, which shattered the barrier between life and death. You could proberly have done the same if you killed Helya, Bwonsamdi and alot of other death gods in the War of the Ancients.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    So we learn that Lich King is the guardian of the rifts between two worlds and without him, the sky is basically shattered and the barrier between worlds of life and death is shattered. So, before Kil'jaeden created the Lich King and threw him into Azeroth, there was no barrier between life and death,r ight? So The War of the Ancients looked completely different, with Val'kyr, etc. And why there are no mentions in ingame books about The Happening - like "A meteor just crashed in Northrend and now everything looks completely different! People that died just vanished! Sky looks strange, it's not shattered anymore!"
    Or did they just retcon Lich King whatsoever and Ner'zhul never existed and Lich King was always a being of the Shadowlands?
    Wait, I am still reading up on today lore updates, but did we actually get any confirmation that, quoting you, "Lich King is the guardian of the rifts between two worlds and without him, the sky is basically shattered and the barrier between worlds of life and death is shattered"? Or is that just your own speculation based on what you saw in the cinematic?
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Death. That is the connection to the Shadowlands. Do you know where Death resides on the cosmic forces of Warcraft? Also the chronicles state that Ner'zhul was passed through death and made a spectral entity. Chronicles page 17.

"Ner'zhul, his sanity cracking, finally agreed. Kil'jaeden passed the orc's spirit through death and revived him as a spectral entity."

Does yanking souls back from the shadowlands play into it? Like the Forsaken dying then being pulled back to the living world?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    Wow you've already been to all the new quest zones, the Maw, and the giant city?
    No, nor have I said so. Calling your attempt at a gotcha weak would be a compliment. That doesn't change the fact there are quests that send the player to the Shadowlands.

I bought all the Chronicles and read them and it was fun reading.

I do not live in some fantasy world that Chronicle will be some Immutable Holy Warcraft Bible - in the end lore will be expanded and even changed at some point and it's fine. Heck Chronicle itself has a lot of void spots where stuff got little more than "yeah there is that thing" presentation, clearly leaving that for future, something like Elune and Void Lords are all as obscure as ever and yes, Shadowlands too. Heck we barely know anything about "Light" too and what we have seen it doing in Legion and BfA totally got us blindsided.

I think this is fine and I am not sure what people really expected - the story goes forward and lore will evolve and inevitably some stuff will have to be rewritten because the thing is so huge it is impossible to not step on its own toes at some point.
    What if people expected the Chronicles to be what Blizzard advertised them as? I.e. "a series that attempts to codify, tighten up and clarify the history of Warcraft"? And the bit how it's impossible to introduce new things without stepping on the story's own toes is just an excuse for sloppy writing. If the old story can be changed to fit the new planned stories then the new stories can be just as well rewritten during the drawing board part of the process to fit the old story as well. They are both equally story-ish.

Apparently expecting basic effort in maintaining consistency isn't common sense. Who knew! It's almost as if the whole idea of common sense was a logical fallacy or something. Argument from incredulity to be specific.

Comic books are well known for being the standard of what other writing is measured by.

Multiple things having the same name isn't even remotely relevant to the concept of a retcon. Your little gotcha here falls flat on its face.

Blizzard does take its IP lore seriously, claiming otherwise is just pure nonsense. But sometimes they end up writing themselves into a corner or succumbing to some external pressure/constraints that leads to the whole pile of steaming bullshit like WoD and they end up having to amend things.
    The frequency with which they manage to write themselves into a corner truly presents the idea that they take their lore seriously.

It's like Marvel and such - they end up retconning and changing shit, because eventually they reach that "we gotta do this shit" point. Wanna go cry how they don't care about their IP? That IP is their everything and sometimes changes are inevitable and necessary.
    Except for the part where comic book writing is dominated by rule of cool moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

5+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people knew that the "Victors wrote history" this is the same, the Titans point of view its the one in Chronicles, probably the book of Chronicles its just the Discs of Norgannon made in real life.

The Shadowlands are being hinted since Vanilla with Muezala and the old tablet quests. Problem its... people forget about that because the story they wanted to tell us was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond this other ones. Just look at how the trilogy of Pandaria-Draenor-Legion came together. Cataclysm wanted to tell another one with the Dragon Souls and the future of the Leaders of the factions (Baine/sylvannas/Tyrande/Jaina) wich they become major characters on BfA.

Now with Shadowlands Blizzard its going to expand the lore of every major power in the cosmology. Remember, the expansions was always about " a big threath from the Legion/oldgod/factionwar" until Shadowlands, thats it about a major power source. We could se in the future Yriel and the Inquisitor Light. The Endless void lords. The ravenous power of the Growth or even the shining Arcane take a major roll too.

5+ Year Old Account
    Both retcon threads have been merged, since discussion is all dancing around the same topic.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."