Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    What? What are you talking about?
    Don't think he has played for several years...

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    I mean, I played it at launch and it was fine. I'm sure it's still a decent game in 2019 - I would personally give it another shot if they overhauled the engine at some point. That was one of the main reasons I quit playing, it just wasn't optimized and felt clunky.
    They did figure out how to remove the double airlock load screens and other loading bottle necks. A nice improvement, but they have a way to go still.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post

Seems SWTOR is still bringing in nice money for EA, Enough that they went from their 50-60 staff to near 200 with their newest Expansion.

Perhaps EA is finally becoming willing to put more work back into it. Here is hoping.
    Swtor is a mixed thing for me.

On one hand, I don't like they just copied wows click skill makey damdge style of game play, it works for wow but jedi and sith.... And guns They need to feel more fluid, It would fit a more dragonage 2 style system mixed with destiny 2. I think that would have made the gameplay feel alot more engaging.

BUT omfg is the storys worth playing it through. There imersive and engaging and have the old bioware je ne sais quoi

It's a dipping game though something you play to go through the storys as they get added but there's not enough gameplay or endgame wise to keep some one around.

Where wow is really all about endgame and always has been, Swtor is entirly about the leveling and story.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Honestly, the latest story is pretty good overall, I just hope they don't devolve it again.

I think they originally wrote themselves into a hole with the 8 storylines with each being HUGELY important to the galaxy at the end, that they made KotFE and KotET, but then realizing they merely traded one hole for another, they went to a more simplified storyline with some quirks.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    I'm not sure how you translate that post to meaning they're still making a lot of money. Last year they could have been at $999,999,990, and this year they could have only made $9, and the statement is accurate. And yes, that is indeed a hyperbolic example.

Why people like you fall for PR speak so easily, I'll never understand. It's blantantly obvious they're they're doing it.
    Because after years of hardly addressing the game, they actually addressed it? That plus the increase in Staff and new Expansion. Business tend not to nearly double their Staff for a dead game.

I promise you, it isn't. They worded it that way for very specific reasons. If they wanted to brag about how much money they're making, they'd be talking about their profits in the last year. Not that they're "approaching $1 billion since we first began!" That's pure, 100%, PR speak; aka, bullshit.
    It did make 1 billion though. If you want to think they made all that year 1 and made 2 dollars everyday since, it's up to you. I don't see EA keeping a development team of 50 people in a game that isn't making good money. But, i can tell you the game is more active than ever before (except launch). It is fun to play and populated, and it just had a new xpac a few months ago. This does not denote a failing game. Though for full disclosure it s still pretty buggy.

The game just turned 8 and both Bioware and Lucasfilm are promising it will go on for years. So, i dunno. It may be unspecific information, but the game is certainly making money. How much is it making right now? We don't have the info.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-21 at 03:04 PM.

But where's my single player KOTOR?!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    But where's my single player KOTOR?!
    Play the Jedi Knight story. There is your KOTOR 3.

I promise you, it isn't. They worded it that way for very specific reasons. If they wanted to brag about how much money they're making, they'd be talking about their profits in the last year. Not that they're "approaching $1 billion since we first began!" That's pure, 100%, PR speak; aka, bullshit.
    It's corporate PR speak spun to be more positive than it actually is, but it's still an accurate statement and not "bullshit," which implies that it's false or inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's corporate PR speak spun to be more positive than it actually is, but it's still an accurate statement and not "bullshit," which implies that it's false or inaccurate.
    After catching up on the conversation I think Katchii has it right. Sure it's Pr talk and played up to be better than it really is but it's probably right.

The problem is even if it's right and they are approaching 1 billion dollars made, I feels it's not a huge accomplishment in 8 years and thats where the PR talks comes in.
    Even if the game makes that billion, it's divided out to what? 125 million a year if you go evenly which we know can't be the case. Most of that money was likely made in the first 3-5 years and likely not just the game making money or the cash shop. There is some merchandise out there as well. The last 3-4 years I'd wager made far less money.

So again, sure it's PR talk to play it up to be more but they probably made close to a billion in nearly 8 years total. Most in the first half and not the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Incorrect. The usage of "bullshit" in that context means that its meaning is bullshit; it doesn't mean anything. It's pure jibber-jabber with no relevance to reality. It just makes them sound like they're more profitable than they really are.

Bullshit.

I honestly started feeling out of place with my bounty hunter, when Fallen Empire arrived. It was more and more, like the story is intended for Force users, and those, not using force feel just left out. Which are 50% of the classes might I remind you.. which made me also growing more disconnected with the game itself.
    Nice story you have there... except I have nothing to do with it.

(Aside of, well me rather disliking the F2P restrictions.....)

Incorrect. The usage of "bullshit" in that context means that its meaning is bullshit; it doesn't mean anything. It's pure jibber-jabber with no relevance to reality. It just makes them sound like they're more profitable than they really are.

Bullshit.
    But it’s not completely meaningless. It just has far less meaning than the PR speak is trying to make it. As @quras said, even if it is true, it’s not something to be proud of. $1 billion in ~8 years from a game that cost ~$300 million to make is not that impressive.

But again, it’s not bullshit, it’s just not a noteworthy accomplishment. Like any normal human being bragging about putting pants on... whoopdedoo....

I don't think it was meant as a boast. It was meant to show that it actually generated non-trivial revenue over its lifetime. Even if it cost $300m to make, $1b is still a very healthy profit. Generating $700m over 8 years, even minus the running costs, is still respectable for a $300m investment. Not every business takes off and returns x10 your money in a decade. That's the exception, remaining profitable that long is already a win - just look at how many corpses line the road through MMORPG history over the last 10 years.

I might check it out again over the holidays, but honestly I'm also a little miffed that the individual class storylines gave us a taste of so much flavor, and so much of it was lost in the more recent stories. I get that it's tough to keep designing strands for every class, but that's what made it so much fun to me. Playing through the same thing with different classes just loses a lot. And I've played through all the classes now, so I'm not sure I want to come back and finish everything they've added over the last 1.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    I honestly started feeling out of place with my bounty hunter, when Fallen Empire arrived. It was more and more, like the story is intended for Force users, and those, not using force feel just left out. Which are 50% of the classes might I remind you.. which made me also growing more disconnected with the game itself.
    Nice story you have there... except I have nothing to do with it.

(Aside of, well me rather disliking the F2P restrictions.....)
    Well, that story is over and it's back to Republic vs Empire and you can choose wich one you side with (as in loyalist or saboteur, and it will change your choices and some quests).

F2P restrictions were loosened quite a bit and everything till shadow of revan is now free. But the F2P is just meant to be an introduction to the game. If you're not gonna support the game, no one will miss you if you're gone. Don't be a freeloader. The game gives a lot of bang for your buck.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-24 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Well, that story is over and it's back to Republic vs Empire and you can choose wich one you side with (as in loyalist or saboteur, and it will change your choices and some quests).

F2P restrictions were loosened quite a bit and everything till shadow of revan is now free. But the F2P is just meant to be an introduction to the game. If you're not gonna support the game, no one will miss you if you're gone. Don't be a freeloader. The game gives a lot of bang for your buck.
    Ok, that sounds good.
    I just felt when coming back a bit weird since I just wanted to check it out... with a hard Credit limith, restricted inventory space, restricted quest rewards, restricted action bars, restricted access to endgame items, and operations, that ressurection drone and other stuff. You know, like, well it is more or less worthless to play for free.
    So hearing that more stuff can now be accessed sounds really really great.
    Maybe I will check it out, and if I like it I might consider a resub.
    Last edited by josykay; 2019-12-25 at 02:32 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Swtor is a mixed thing for me.

On one hand, I don't like they just copied wows click skill makey damdge style of game play, it works for wow but jedi and sith.... And guns They need to feel more fluid, It would fit a more dragonage 2 style system mixed with destiny 2. I think that would have made the gameplay feel alot more engaging.

BUT omfg is the storys worth playing it through. There imersive and engaging and have the old bioware je ne sais quoi

It's a dipping game though something you play to go through the storys as they get added but there's not enough gameplay or endgame wise to keep some one around.

Where wow is really all about endgame and always has been, Swtor is entirly about the leveling and story.
    Everyone raves about the story of SWTOR. I played Sith Inq, which is supposed to be the better of them and honestly it was just a bunch of, go to this hangar, kill tons of stuff, go to this room kill a ton of stuff. Honestly, after a while, I couldn't stand all the talking, was hard for me to retain the what and why of what I was doing.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post

Seems SWTOR is still bringing in nice money for EA, Enough that they went from their 50-60 staff to near 200 with their newest Expansion.

Perhaps EA is finally becoming willing to put more work back into it. Here is hoping.
    Honestly, EA is the biggest bunch of fools in the world. It was a great game, at launch until the first expansion. Then, never in the history of the world has the "ball been dropped" as bad as they dropped the ball on this. It will probably be the biggest forfeiture of profits in the history of the world. That game, if they managed it right- would have made an extreme killing and passed a billion a long time ago. They just........ epicly failed.

The CFO likes it because, as he said- it just keeps making money. What he didn;t say was: it keeps making money without us really putting any kind of advancement, work or development into it. The game is in a glorified "maintenance mode" and has been for years now (don't take my word- play it... try queing for pvp or a fp/ ops then get back to me). Of course the CFO loves a product you don't have to put anything into and still makes money! They love that!

It all just goes to show how colossal the game would have been if they would have tried to put some work into it. Its just alive atm because people love SW sooo much.
    They are just fleecing the die hards right now. In fact, that game is blocking us from having a real SW mmo, since they own the rights.

I wish the title of the thread was true, but based on playing the game recently (and following it since beta), I just don't see it. I would rather it die and a better game studio get the rights so that we can have a real SW mmo, not an EA fan fleece job.

picked this up again after TROS hype... and finally finished KOTE.. such an awesome story, pressed on to the current expac. I wish WoW would adopt this style of play for leveling. Love the dialog choices and how it impacts things later. Also never ended my sub last time so I'm stocked on Cartel coins.. lol
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Everyone raves about the story of SWTOR. I played Sith Inq, which is supposed to be the better of them and honestly it was just a bunch of, go to this hangar, kill tons of stuff, go to this room kill a ton of stuff. Honestly, after a while, I couldn't stand all the talking, was hard for me to retain the what and why of what I was doing.
    Sith Inquisitor was one of my least favorites.

Sith Warrior is my favorite, followed by Jedi Knight (which is basically just KOTOR 3).

That said, story is subjective on which you like, if you like the game as a whole I'd encourage you to try and find one you enjoy.