Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm aware of the history of the game, I'm talking about in the here and now. The game finally has a good director but it always seems like they're operating on a shoe string budget. Onslaught was a step in the right direction, but it was too short.
    Well...probably because they are.

They don't have a ton of staff available to work on the game, much of BW Austin is working on Anthem as the lead studio and other multiplayer projects (that's apparently their "multiplayer" studio). So short of staffing up considerably, there's nobody to really pull to work on the game.

Beyond that, it's aging (8 years old by now?), brings with it tons of negative baggage, and likely brings a lot of "technical debt" with it as there still seems like there are all kinds of engine-related issues with the game.

Sadly, this is the best we can likely expect moving forward. BW Austin had their chances to fix things and they blew it. F2P helped, but wasn't as big as they needed it to be and they made repeated missteps with server decisions and more that gutted their chances for real success. From there, we saw each expansion get smaller in scope (2 stories, down to a single story) and the team trying to do a lot more with less resources, including some big missteps with the Zakuul arc. KotFE was a huge financial boon for them...until it launched and pretty much faceplanted, and KotET didn't even do enough to get the game mentioned on earnings calls again (KotFE at least did).

I think its chance at greatness has long since passed. The game is just too old and brings too much baggage for that to be a realistic possibility to warrant EA making the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    6.1 launched today and it was under 10 minutes of content. If SWTOR had a budget and a bigger team, this game could be great, but thats not the world we live in.
    I thought you were exaggerating at first, then started the new missions up last night....this wasn't worth a patch, it's just walking around your base and a single conversation that alludes to actions that need to be taken...and then nothing.

They shouldn't have released any story in this patch if this was what they were going to do, release the patch with the fixes and under the hood updates, but leave out story updates until you actually have some meat to release. If I hadn't already subbed prior to this, and subbed back just to see this patch I would be furious to find out it took less time to complete the ENTIRE STORY released in this patch in less than 15 minutes with no combat or action to speak of.

im enjoying the game gotten most classes to kotef but its bad onslaught is amazing tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I thought you were exaggerating at first, then started the new missions up last night....this wasn't worth a patch, it's just walking around your base and a single conversation that alludes to actions that need to be taken...and then nothing.

They shouldn't have released any story in this patch if this was what they were going to do, release the patch with the fixes and under the hood updates, but leave out story updates until you actually have some meat to release. If I hadn't already subbed prior to this, and subbed back just to see this patch I would be furious to find out it took less time to complete the ENTIRE STORY released in this patch in less than 15 minutes with no combat or action to speak of.
    That is silly. We knew what it was gonna be. They were very clear it was just a story beat like Hearts and Minds. If you don't know what is coming on the patch then of course you will be disappointed.

But i won't disagree that i wish the game had a bigger team so they could make more content. But, heck, they fixed some big bugs and that really needed fixing, so i'm glad for that. This wasn't gonna be a big content patch. I predict the next one will be a new planet with a new story chapter. We have already been told it will be the Kira/Scourge story.
    So, get informed guys, and you will know what to expect. Check the SWTOR forums yellow posts at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well...probably because they are.

They don't have a ton of staff available to work on the game, much of BW Austin is working on Anthem as the lead studio and other multiplayer projects (that's apparently their "multiplayer" studio). So short of staffing up considerably, there's nobody to really pull to work on the game.

Beyond that, it's aging (8 years old by now?), brings with it tons of negative baggage, and likely brings a lot of "technical debt" with it as there still seems like there are all kinds of engine-related issues with the game.

Sadly, this is the best we can likely expect moving forward. BW Austin had their chances to fix things and they blew it. F2P helped, but wasn't as big as they needed it to be and they made repeated missteps with server decisions and more that gutted their chances for real success. From there, we saw each expansion get smaller in scope (2 stories, down to a single story) and the team trying to do a lot more with less resources, including some big missteps with the Zakuul arc. KotFE was a huge financial boon for them...until it launched and pretty much faceplanted, and KotET didn't even do enough to get the game mentioned on earnings calls again (KotFE at least did).

I think its chance at greatness has long since passed. The game is just too old and brings too much baggage for that to be a realistic possibility to warrant EA making the investment.
    That is a bit of an pessimistic view.

It is true the game has been mismanaged for the longest time, but the new Producer is actually making a great job with the limited resources he has.
    But it is also clear to me as someone who played before Onslaught hit that the game is growing in population. Theres hundreds of players on the fleet and in most early planets these days. I was leveling my Sage yesterday and had to go back to Tython and was impressed at how many people there were around, it was pretty cool. Hadn't seen that since launch. The fleets are always packed these days as well.

So, i think for the first time since launch, the game is growing and has an organised development team albeit a modest one. So, yes, we can't expect patches the size of WoW's or FF's, but we will keep getting stuff. They have announced already that the next patch will be the Kira/Scourge thing (probably a new planet/zone or operation/flashpoint) and they also announced they have something big planned for the 10th anniversary. We are modestly expecting another expansion with hopefully 64bit support to improve performance with new machines.
    So, the game is here to stay, it's growing and EA is pleased. There is hope that more support might happen depending on how things develop. I don't think there is no hope. But, it will depend if the game continues to do really well and if Anthem continues to falter, wich is also likely.

Regardless of support though, the game is really fun to play. Love the classes so much and the gearing system is quite satisfying after the vertical progression. Legacy wide gear is a dream come true for alters and people who want to see the content on both sides and double their new story content amount. So, you know, big teams might help with making a big game (content) but not necessarily a fun one (case of WoW atm).
    Last edited by Swnem; Yesterday at 01:35 PM.