Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm aware of the history of the game, I'm talking about in the here and now. The game finally has a good director but it always seems like they're operating on a shoe string budget. Onslaught was a step in the right direction, but it was too short.
    Well...probably because they are.

    They don't have a ton of staff available to work on the game, much of BW Austin is working on Anthem as the lead studio and other multiplayer projects (that's apparently their "multiplayer" studio). So short of staffing up considerably, there's nobody to really pull to work on the game.

    Beyond that, it's aging (8 years old by now?), brings with it tons of negative baggage, and likely brings a lot of "technical debt" with it as there still seems like there are all kinds of engine-related issues with the game.

    Sadly, this is the best we can likely expect moving forward. BW Austin had their chances to fix things and they blew it. F2P helped, but wasn't as big as they needed it to be and they made repeated missteps with server decisions and more that gutted their chances for real success. From there, we saw each expansion get smaller in scope (2 stories, down to a single story) and the team trying to do a lot more with less resources, including some big missteps with the Zakuul arc. KotFE was a huge financial boon for them...until it launched and pretty much faceplanted, and KotET didn't even do enough to get the game mentioned on earnings calls again (KotFE at least did).

    I think its chance at greatness has long since passed. The game is just too old and brings too much baggage for that to be a realistic possibility to warrant EA making the investment.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    6.1 launched today and it was under 10 minutes of content. If SWTOR had a budget and a bigger team, this game could be great, but thats not the world we live in.
    I thought you were exaggerating at first, then started the new missions up last night....this wasn't worth a patch, it's just walking around your base and a single conversation that alludes to actions that need to be taken...and then nothing.

    They shouldn't have released any story in this patch if this was what they were going to do, release the patch with the fixes and under the hood updates, but leave out story updates until you actually have some meat to release. If I hadn't already subbed prior to this, and subbed back just to see this patch I would be furious to find out it took less time to complete the ENTIRE STORY released in this patch in less than 15 minutes with no combat or action to speak of.

  3. #163
    im enjoying the game gotten most classes to kotef but its bad onslaught is amazing tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I thought you were exaggerating at first, then started the new missions up last night....this wasn't worth a patch, it's just walking around your base and a single conversation that alludes to actions that need to be taken...and then nothing.

    They shouldn't have released any story in this patch if this was what they were going to do, release the patch with the fixes and under the hood updates, but leave out story updates until you actually have some meat to release. If I hadn't already subbed prior to this, and subbed back just to see this patch I would be furious to find out it took less time to complete the ENTIRE STORY released in this patch in less than 15 minutes with no combat or action to speak of.
    That is silly. We knew what it was gonna be. They were very clear it was just a story beat like Hearts and Minds. If you don't know what is coming on the patch then of course you will be disappointed.

    But i won't disagree that i wish the game had a bigger team so they could make more content. But, heck, they fixed some big bugs and that really needed fixing, so i'm glad for that. This wasn't gonna be a big content patch. I predict the next one will be a new planet with a new story chapter. We have already been told it will be the Kira/Scourge story.
    So, get informed guys, and you will know what to expect. Check the SWTOR forums yellow posts at least.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well...probably because they are.

    They don't have a ton of staff available to work on the game, much of BW Austin is working on Anthem as the lead studio and other multiplayer projects (that's apparently their "multiplayer" studio). So short of staffing up considerably, there's nobody to really pull to work on the game.

    Beyond that, it's aging (8 years old by now?), brings with it tons of negative baggage, and likely brings a lot of "technical debt" with it as there still seems like there are all kinds of engine-related issues with the game.

    Sadly, this is the best we can likely expect moving forward. BW Austin had their chances to fix things and they blew it. F2P helped, but wasn't as big as they needed it to be and they made repeated missteps with server decisions and more that gutted their chances for real success. From there, we saw each expansion get smaller in scope (2 stories, down to a single story) and the team trying to do a lot more with less resources, including some big missteps with the Zakuul arc. KotFE was a huge financial boon for them...until it launched and pretty much faceplanted, and KotET didn't even do enough to get the game mentioned on earnings calls again (KotFE at least did).

    I think its chance at greatness has long since passed. The game is just too old and brings too much baggage for that to be a realistic possibility to warrant EA making the investment.
    That is a bit of an pessimistic view.

    It is true the game has been mismanaged for the longest time, but the new Producer is actually making a great job with the limited resources he has.
    But it is also clear to me as someone who played before Onslaught hit that the game is growing in population. Theres hundreds of players on the fleet and in most early planets these days. I was leveling my Sage yesterday and had to go back to Tython and was impressed at how many people there were around, it was pretty cool. Hadn't seen that since launch. The fleets are always packed these days as well.

    So, i think for the first time since launch, the game is growing and has an organised development team albeit a modest one. So, yes, we can't expect patches the size of WoW's or FF's, but we will keep getting stuff. They have announced already that the next patch will be the Kira/Scourge thing (probably a new planet/zone or operation/flashpoint) and they also announced they have something big planned for the 10th anniversary. We are modestly expecting another expansion with hopefully 64bit support to improve performance with new machines.
    So, the game is here to stay, it's growing and EA is pleased. There is hope that more support might happen depending on how things develop. I don't think there is no hope. But, it will depend if the game continues to do really well and if Anthem continues to falter, wich is also likely.

    Regardless of support though, the game is really fun to play. Love the classes so much and the gearing system is quite satisfying after the vertical progression. Legacy wide gear is a dream come true for alters and people who want to see the content on both sides and double their new story content amount. So, you know, big teams might help with making a big game (content) but not necessarily a fun one (case of WoW atm).
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-02-16 at 01:35 PM.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    1 billion dollars is a lot of money. But the game came out like 10 years ago. So over time that billion isn’t that much. The game has also cost a lot of money during these 10 years.

    Not 10 years. It's 8 years. 1 billion USD = 1.000 million USD = 125 million per year for 8 years straight or more than 10 million USD per month (averaging). That's a healthy profit. No need to talk it down.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Not 10 years. It's 8 years. 1 billion USD = 1.000 million USD = 125 million per year for 8 years straight or more than 10 million USD per month (averaging). That's a healthy profit. No need to talk it down.
    No need to play it down, but no need to make it look better than it is either. That amount did not come in a uniform manner across 8 years, in fact it would be safe bet to say that most of the money came from a) subs in the first year or so and b) whales that hoover absolutely everything from the shop multiple times. How that translates to the health of a game, an MMO at that, in 2020 is open to anyone's interpretation, but let's keep things in perspective.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    No need to play it down, but no need to make it look better than it is either. That amount did not come in a uniform manner across 8 years, in fact it would be safe bet to say that most of the money came from a) subs in the first year or so and b) whales that hoover absolutely everything from the shop multiple times. How that translates to the health of a game, an MMO at that, in 2020 is open to anyone's interpretation, but let's keep things in perspective.
    i play the game daily, it replaced wow for me. the most efficient ways of playing the game are always available. in truth there are some parts of the game that are ghost towns (starfighter, uprisings, ranked pvp) but if you aren't some elitist prick of a gamer then its still a very fun game. worth paying the sub for a couple months, taking a break and coming back as they put content out.

    lets keep things in perspective.

    oh and who cares how much money they have made?
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    No need to play it down, but no need to make it look better than it is either. That amount did not come in a uniform manner across 8 years, in fact it would be safe bet to say that most of the money came from a) subs in the first year or so and b) whales that hoover absolutely everything from the shop multiple times. How that translates to the health of a game, an MMO at that, in 2020 is open to anyone's interpretation, but let's keep things in perspective.
    Yeah, I see it the same way. I don't want to argue about the quality of the game. I just wanted to underline that the game financially is doing very well and that 1 billion is a big deal.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Yeah, I see it the same way. I don't want to argue about the quality of the game. I just wanted to underline that the game financially is doing very well and that 1 billion is a big deal.
    I am not trying to argue the quality of the game, either so no worries. All I am saying is that 1 billion over 8 years is only as important as what percentage of that is part of the current financial year and where it is mostly coming from , because these are the things that matter in terms of the game having a future and what kind of it (ie more content vs more store items).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    i play the game daily, it replaced wow for me. the most efficient ways of playing the game are always available. in truth there are some parts of the game that are ghost towns (starfighter, uprisings, ranked pvp) but if you aren't some elitist prick of a gamer then its still a very fun game. worth paying the sub for a couple months, taking a break and coming back as they put content out.

    lets keep things in perspective.

    oh and who cares how much money they have made?
    I am going to ignore your indirect insult and just answer your question: if they don't make enough money to satisfy the higher-ups (whoever they might be) or meet any targets set by any kind of financial forecasting, never mind being enough to run the game and pay the salaries of the people working on it, then it does matter a lot. Just like for every other game in 2020, unfortunately.

    But you knew that already, didn't you?

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post

    But you knew that already, didn't you?
    of course i did, you must be a jedi like my characters in swtor.

    last I heard, EA were happy campers with swtor currently. once kotor 1 gets its reboot i think popularity in the game will come back as well. granted, they have some work to do if they want to really capitalize on that

    and the "elitist prick gamer" comment wasn't pointed at you directly, funny you took it that way.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Not 10 years. It's 8 years. 1 billion USD = 1.000 million USD = 125 million per year for 8 years straight or more than 10 million USD per month (averaging). That's a healthy profit. No need to talk it down.
    I highly doubt it breaks down like that. We're probably looking at a graph that starts out high and quickly drops off.

    This game very likely had it's bulk of cash made in the first half of it's life. The later half making much less. SWTOR couldn't even get mentioned in EA reports so the likelihood it made anywhere near 125 million a year isn't likely. I'd wager it's less than half that in the past years.

    It's making enough to not get closed down but not enough to warrant getting mentioned in revenue reports or getting mentioned at all in nearly anything.

    What is SWTOR future? My guess would be more of he mediocrity this game continues to get. Just enough to keep the doors open but nothing amazing. Nothing will be what most consider a large content patch or expansion. Everything will be rather short and grindy even for an MMO. What you see now is what you will continue to get and there will be large gaps where you get nothing but cash shop updates and some bar to grind out.

    If you enjoyed it then you are good to go. You'll get more of the same.
    If you didn't well you're not getting anything better in the years or months to come.
    Last edited by quras; 2020-03-09 at 01:20 PM.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I highly doubt it breaks down like that. We're probably looking at a graph that starts out high and quickly drops off.

    This game very likely had it's bulk of cash made in the first half of it's life. The later half making much less. SWTOR couldn't even get mentioned in EA reports so the likelihood it made anywhere near 125 million a year isn't likely. I'd wager it's less than half that in the past years.

    It's making enough to not get closed down but not enough to warrant getting mentioned in revenue reports or getting mentioned at all in nearly anything.

    What is SWTOR future? My guess would be more of he mediocrity this game continues to get. Just enough to keep the doors open but nothing amazing. Nothing will be what most consider a large content patch or expansion. Everything will be rather short and grindy even for an MMO. What you see now is what you will continue to get and there will be large gaps where you get nothing but cash shop updates and some bar to grind out.

    If you enjoyed it then you are good to go. You'll get more of the same.
    If you didn't well you're not getting anything better in the years or months to come.
    That's just speculation from you.

    Facts are the game made 1 bil and EA is happy with it. The game is still being financed. It confirmed what is likely another expansion for the 10th anniversary.

    Now, the rest is also true. The game is not the best supported game ever, but it is also untrue when you say it's super grindy. It's way less grindy than WoW or FFXIV. So, that's an outright lie. You can get geared up on SWTOR in 2 weeks if you go hardcore. It's pretty easy to gear up alts too, so you will be having fun most of the time. There is more than just content. Fun systems and design is what keeps players engaged. It is by far more fun to play than said mmo's as well for that reason and the great class design. Content is important, and that is why some of us playing some months on and others off. But there is no other mmo more fun to play atm. I tried all except ESO. What they say about classes on that game is enough to not want to even try it. Though yeah, they have yearly xpacs, wich is nice.

    Honestly, if content was all i cared about i would be playing ESO or FFXIV. But alas, i get bored. Content does not equal fun, though it is also important.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-03-10 at 04:59 PM.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    That's just speculation from you.

    Facts are the game made 1 bil and EA is happy with it. The game is still being financed. It confirmed what is likely another expansion for the 10th anniversary.
    Of course it's speculation. Thats not some amazing statement saying it's speculation. The difference is, it's more than likely to be true do to simple logic and how business works as well as how swtor has done over the years. 100% fact? Nope but I'd wager it's more right than swtor making 125 million a year right now. Hell, They said 1 billion in revenue over it's lifespan because they don't want to say what it's making right now (which we know EA doesn't talk about swtor anyway).

    The fist years of the game took the largest profits but even then the game suffered (It went F2P faster than any game in history save one I can think of). Content continued to get smaller and smaller year after year. Numbers dropped year after year and we went from at swtors peak, 123 US servers, 91 EU servers, 3 Asia-Pacific servers, then down to 70-80 servers, then to 20 something and now we have 5. SO while I have no doubt revenue went up for those few times content was released, the drop off was much more drastic once that small amount of content was consumed. swtor makes no where near 125 million a year.

    So yes, while thats speculation, you don't have to have some insider information to see that the bulk of SWTOR revenue were made most likely in the first half of it's lifecycle and the later half making far less when you take that 1 billion dollar figure apart. The curve for that chart is in a steep decline with far to few high points. As I said (which is a fact) EA doesn't even mention swtor in earning calls anymore. It's not doing well enough to even get mentioned. It's not doing so poor the doors are going to shut either.


    Now, the rest is also true. The game is not the best supported game ever, but it is also untrue when you say it's super grindy. It's way less grindy than WoW or FFXIV. So, that's an outright lie. You can get geared up on SWTOR in 2 weeks if you go hardcore. It's pretty easy to gear up alts too, so you will be having fun most of the time. There is more than just content. Fun systems and design is what keeps players engaged. It is by far more fun to play than said mmo's as well for that reason and the great class design. Content is important, and that is why some of us playing some months on and others off. But there is no other mmo more fun to play atm. I tried all except ESO. What they say about classes on that game is enough to not want to even try it. Though yeah, they have yearly xpacs, wich is nice.
    Thats fantastically subjective but not something I agree with. For my subjective reasoning, swtor is grindy and has been since F2P. I find it no more fun or entertaining than wow or FF14, nor do I find the new grinds we do have this amazing fun, rinse /repeat process. It's no more entertaining than any other to me after this point in the game. At one point bioware made the game so grindy you couldn't even skip mobs as a stealth class as they had them all spawn right on you, no matter what you did. It's was terrible design all for the sake of making things take longer and be more grindy.

    So we wont be agreeing on any of that except the classes to me are fun to play. I enjoy them but wow and FF14 also have fun classes to play as well. Maybe you also meant the class stories which I could also agree with. Class stories are the best this game has to offer to this day above all other things to do, the rest is mediocre to forgettable once those class stories are done. Still subjective though as I'm sure someone just loved KotET or God forbid Iokath. UGH.....

    Honestly, if content was all i cared about i would be playing ESO or FFXIV. But alas, i get bored. Content does not equal fun, though it is also important.
    Yea, we're not going to fully agree on that either. The classes rarely change so while fun they are a but a vehicle to the continued fun and entertainment in a game. Classes still need to be fun to play but content is where the bulk of entertainment comes from. Class are just part of a catalyst for entertainment. Without content, classes mean nothing. I guess you could flip that statement and say content is nothing without fun class but for me it's not the same. I've played classes that are not fun but if the content is entertaining, I don't care so much about the class being fun or not. For me in swtor that would be the smuggler. Not fun but I play it in the class story because those stories are fun. The GS is so much better.

    So it's the content that drives the bulk of the game and for swtor story is in that mix more than others but for a long time now swtor has stayed in the field of mediocrity for both story and content. It's not terrible but it's not all that good either.
    Last edited by quras; 2020-03-11 at 06:39 PM.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  14. #174
    I've personally held that The Old Republic is a game that many *wanted* to like, but it just adhered too close to the "WoW clone" format. Also, the game's character-models looked terrible even at launch, and it looks downright abysmal now. They went far too "stylized", to the point it no longer felt like "Star Wars". This is compounded by the tons of cinematics that were coming out leading up to launch, in which all of the characters looked totally normal.

    I genuinely believe that, if they simply overhauled the character-models (or even just add a "realistic" body-type between options #2 and #3), it would see a lot more interest. People pretend visuals don't matter, but when you're trying to capture the magic of an existing IP, it's really important to stay faithful to the "look" of the universe.

    From what I understand, though, The Old Republic is doing well enough, namely because it seems like they have a skeleton crew that maintaining it. I wonder if they're going to invest more effort into it, though?

    For me personally, though, I just don't like the game. I don't like the character models, and I don't like the gameplay. Which is a shame, because the voice acting is top-notch, and the environments all look pretty damn good. But just way too cumbersome a combat system; it would've benefited from a more limited skill-pool, similar to Guild Wars.

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Of course it's speculation. Thats not some amazing statement saying it's speculation. The difference is, it's more than likely to be true do to simple logic and how business works as well as how swtor has done over the years. 100% fact? Nope but I'd wager it's more right than swtor making 125 million a year right now. Hell, They said 1 billion in revenue over it's lifespan because they don't want to say what it's making right now (which we know EA doesn't talk about swtor anyway).

    The fist years of the game took the largest profits but even then the game suffered (It went F2P faster than any game in history save one I can think of). Content continued to get smaller and smaller year after year. Numbers dropped year after year and we went from at swtors peak, 123 US servers, 91 EU servers, 3 Asia-Pacific servers, then down to 70-80 servers, then to 20 something and now we have 5. SO while I have no doubt revenue went up for those few times content was released, the drop off was much more drastic once that small amount of content was consumed. swtor makes no where near 125 million a year.

    So yes, while thats speculation, you don't have to have some insider information to see that the bulk of SWTOR revenue were made most likely in the first half of it's lifecycle and the later half making far less when you take that 1 billion dollar figure apart. The curve for that chart is in a steep decline with far to few high points. As I said (which is a fact) EA doesn't even mention swtor in earning calls anymore. It's not doing well enough to even get mentioned. It's not doing so poor the doors are going to shut either.




    Thats fantastically subjective but not something I agree with. For my subjective reasoning, swtor is grindy and has been since F2P. I find it no more fun or entertaining than wow or FF14, nor do I find the new grinds we do have this amazing fun, rinse /repeat process. It's no more entertaining than any other to me after this point in the game. At one point bioware made the game so grindy you couldn't even skip mobs as a stealth class as they had them all spawn right on you, no matter what you did. It's was terrible design all for the sake of making things take longer and be more grindy.

    So we wont be agreeing on any of that except the classes to me are fun to play. I enjoy them but wow and FF14 also have fun classes to play as well. Maybe you also meant the class stories which I could also agree with. Class stories are the best this game has to offer to this day above all other things to do, the rest is mediocre to forgettable once those class stories are done. Still subjective though as I'm sure someone just loved KotET or God forbid Iokath. UGH.....



    Yea, we're not going to fully agree on that either. The classes rarely change so while fun they are a but a vehicle to the continued fun and entertainment in a game. Classes still need to be fun to play but content is where the bulk of entertainment comes from. Class are just part of a catalyst for entertainment. Without content, classes mean nothing. I guess you could flip that statement and say content is nothing without fun class but for me it's not the same. I've played classes that are not fun but if the content is entertaining, I don't care so much about the class being fun or not. For me in swtor that would be the smuggler. Not fun but I play it in the class story because those stories are fun. The GS is so much better.

    So it's the content that drives the bulk of the game and for swtor story is in that mix more than others but for a long time now swtor has stayed in the field of mediocrity for both story and content. It's not terrible but it's not all that good either.
    No, you don't know. The game didnt launch with the cartel market. It was only added later. We, and by that i mean you too, don't know.

    The only argument you can make are the first year box sales. But these have associated costs. Later expansions were digital only.

    We simply don't know the proportion and it's ridiculous to assume we do.

    It's making money, it's being supported and EA is happy with it. Does it compare to FIFA revenue? No, it doesnt. But it's profitable and still being invested on.
    Personally, that's all i need to know.

    Would i like to see more support? For sure. But all signs are the game had a great year and content for 2 years down the line is already being teased. Onslaught was probably the first time the game grew in population since launch. So, while i don't see it getting support in the amount of an ffxiv or eso, it's not so bad. Better than it was with the previous 2 xpacs.

    Your doomsaying is completely at odds with the reality of the game atm. It's in a better place today than it was 2 years ago.
    I also want to remind you this game hires top tier voice actors. It really cant be doing as bad as you want it to.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-03-12 at 04:58 AM.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    No, you don't know. The game didnt launch with the cartel market. It was only added later. We, and by that i mean you too, don't know.

    The only argument you can make are the first year box sales. But these have associated costs. Later expansions were digital only.

    We simply don't know the proportion and it's ridiculous to assume we do.
    We don't know but as I said, it doesn't take some insider info to make a logical conclusion based on the game as to where the majority of the money came from. That being the first years of the game and not now. The cartel market saved the game from being shut down completely in the F2P move but if you think it's making 125 million a year and EA still wont mention it in earning calls is a good thing, then your delusional to how swtor is doing or maybe just uninformed about those earning calls.

    It's making money, it's being supported and EA is happy with it. Does it compare to FIFA revenue? No, it doesn't. But it's profitable and still being invested on.
    Personally, that's all i need to know.
    Of course it's making money. I said as much. It's just not making enough to get recognized at any point for EA to actually talk about when it comes to their games revenue. Enough money to not get the doors closed but not enough to talk about to share holders. Thats not a good thing in the bigger picture for those that play swtor because it means more of the same mediocrity we have been getting.

    Would i like to see more support? For sure. But all signs are the game had a great year and content for 2 years down the line is already being teased. Onslaught was probably the first time the game grew in population since launch. So, while i don't see it getting support in the amount of an ffxiv or eso, it's not so bad. Better than it was with the previous 2 xpacs.
    I'd love to see the signs that swtor had a great year. I'd love to see EA and bioware talk about SWTOR in an earning call in that the game has really stepped up from whats it's been. I'd love to see a change from what we have where no one talks about SWTOR to something were it's at least discuses in the company and larger gaming communities. I'd love to see some real expansions released and not the completed in a couple hours expansion we get with a grind tagged on at the end of it to pretend there is more content than there really is. The problem is I know thats not going to happen. SWTOR just doesn't generate enough to get that kind of attention.

    The game isn't bad but damn if there is no marketing for SWTOR, it doesn't get mentioned anywhere by EA or bioware on a large scale for anything and the best expansions we get are a few hours long at best, lets not pretend it's doing amazing or that future content will be any better or thatit makes anywhere near 125 million.

    Your doomsaying is completely at odds with the reality of the game atm. It's in a better place today than it was 2 years ago.
    I also want to remind you this game hires top tier voice actors. It really cant be doing as bad as you want it to.
    doomsaying...? What did you do? Get that out of the "Internets most ridiculous words to use when you have no argument" book? No one is doomsaying but the reality of SWTOR is, there is no way it's making that ridiculous number of 125 Million a year and that all things are just so good right now while at the same time admitting support for the game is low in comparison to other MMOs. We would all love to see more support but swtor hasn't gotten great support for a really long time. The few of us long time player have had this same discussion time after time. Would love to see more support. Love to see larger content patches. Love to see real expansion packs. It just doesn't happen.

    Here are some real world numbers I use to gauge things for myself. While a small sample size, I'd wager it's reflective of the game in general. My refer a friend numbers have been as high as 350 active subscribers, producing roughly 35K CC a month. I've been all across quite a many forums to pull it off over the years. Seeing a small increase and decrease over expansions and content releases. I've seen the numbers change but rarely drastically since refer a friend was launched. These refer a friends are numbers I have no control over and they are likely all around the world with no connection to me. So the sample isn't tainted in any way by me and I don't talk to any of them. They are people that played the game for fairly long periods of time as my CC count rarely changed drastically.
    That number has been declining steadily since anything named Kot ** and of this last patch of content is now down to 12 last I checked.

    I'm not sure what you think is happening in SWTOR but it ain't amazing. The games not going anywhere but what we have been getting is the best we can ever hope for because there is no way EA is putting money back into this game to make any significant difference.

    SWTORs future is continued minimal support, no marketing and small expansions with full support of the cash shop to drive what little we do get. The games making enough to keep it running but not enough to ever get talked about where it matters.
    Last edited by quras; 2020-03-12 at 01:56 PM.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    SWTORs future is continued minimal support, no marketing and small expansions with full support of the cash shop to drive what little we do get. The games making enough to keep it running but not enough to ever get talked about where it matters.
    This is probably the most succinct and accurate statements of the state of SWTOR, which is sad.

    The game deserves so much more than the mediocrity it's getting, and will likely continue to get.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    This is probably the most succinct and accurate statements of the state of SWTOR, which is sad.

    The game deserves so much more than the mediocrity it's getting, and will likely continue to get.
    There are few that have been in swtor longer than I or done as much that still play through all it's ups and downs but the worst part is how sad it was writing that statement knowing it's true and thats the very likely outcome for the future of swtor.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    There are few that have been in swtor longer than I or done as much that still play through all it's ups and downs but the worst part is how sad it was writing that statement knowing it's true and thats the very likely outcome for the future of swtor.
    I've been playing off and on since before launch, I bought the physical collector's edition and have the Malgus statue (lost the saber in a move recently though, which sucks), achieved Legendary status (completed all class stories) and maxed my Legacy level before the game even went free-to-play. I've seen every quest, heroic, flashpoint and operation on multiple characters at least a dozen times.

    I'm right there with you.

    I love this game, but reality is, it's not doing well enough to warrant more support or updates and it's not doing bad enough to warrant shutting it down.

    You're statement was very accurate, which again...is fucking terrible to accept and understand, but it's the truth.

  20. #180
    People that think WoW is in danger of being abandoned or is "dead" need to pay attention to actually zombie MMOs like SWTOR.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •