Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Torghast Tower of the Damned - Basically Diablo?

So Torghast has solo mode, random mobs, random maps, random affixes, timed runs and several more features that are basically taken right out of Diablo.

...and this is not a bad thing, by the way!

I've long advocated for more randomness in dungeons. It would keep things so much more interesting than being able to use set tactics in every fight, even trash fights. I never understood why they didn't experiment more with randomness in dungeons. I guess Withered Army training in Legion was the first. And it was fun. Even if it was repetitive because it was so limited, you at least faced something different each time, and not something you could just minmax, you had to use your instincts.

My first thought was Hearthstone adventures. Basically it is designed for you to not get very far at first, and then you earn upgrades that will allow you to progress further in order to give you the illusion that there is more content than there actually is.

It's basically any Rogue-Like.....

Young one, Keys for dungeons are a Diablo feature, so, not bad if made right.

Wait did they say it would be timed?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

From what they said it's basically deep dungeons from FFXIV; Palace of the Dead or Heavon on High.

Most likely an endless series of auto generated floors from fixed assets which are randomely assembled and filled with enemies. Your goal will be to to find the way to the next level while grabbing some loot on the way. Some of that loot will buff you permanently or temporarily or just help you clear a floor/room, while other loot (runes) you will take out of the dungeon. They will probably fill it with enemies that have skillshot abilities (so you can't just aoe everything down like diablo) and it will most likely have more complex floor paterns than your typical arena ARPG challenge towers.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post

They stated the opposite: take your time to explore a level before going up to the next one.

But the OP probably means we will end up doing "artificial" timed runs like a Baron 45 and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It's specifically not timed.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Most likely something that's completely unrewarding unless you actually overgear it, in which case it's also unrewarding. Kind of like M+

It sounds super cool, it's basically another end-game thing you can endlessly do, like M+. The PROBLEM is that if it's really good, you can say goodbye to seeing dungeons in future expansions. You'll see story dungeons and that's probably it, as they phase M+ out for its spiritual successor.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

I didnt see anything speaking about a time limit, on the contrary, they said to explore everything... But yeah, it's not a bad thing, it can be extremely good, even.
    I hope they give back the loot goblin from legion beta

7+ Year Old Account
    Torghast is not timed.

Formerly known as Arafal

a mix of Diablo3 rift and Hearthstone Kobolds mode and it's a main feature of Shadowlands
    looks like people gonna spam it solo for legendaries
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Most likely something that's completely unrewarding unless you actually overgear it, in which case it's also unrewarding. Kind of like M+

It sounds super cool, it's basically another end-game thing you can endlessly do, like M+. The PROBLEM is that if it's really good, you can say goodbye to seeing dungeons in future expansions. You'll see story dungeons and that's probably it, as they phase M+ out for its spiritual successor.
    Does it reward Gear? I was under the impression that the tower will give you anima,runes for the legendary,temporary powers,etc... but it is not a source for gear.

Am i wrong?

Time to separate Diablo devs from WoW devs. Too much WoW in diablo and too much diablo in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post

You say its likely unrewarding unless you overgear it, like M+ is?

Then you say the "problem" is it'll likely replace M+ which you say is unrewarding anyway? Is there any way for Blizz to win...

Its repeatable content, that changes its layout, enemies and rewards each time. We've never had anything like this before and it scales 1-5 people so is more accessible than any endgame content we've ever had too. It lets us create targeted legendary items, including base stats, item slot and powerful affix...

I for one hope it does replace M+ entirely, because the repetitive and unrewarding nature of M+ has done nothing innovative except create a psuedo esport and further class/spec shaming in PvE content.

Smaller group endgame content is a good thing, making it scaleable is a good thing, making the rewards on par with larger group content is a good thing, making is accessible to people to progress alone or with a friend or two is a good thing. These are the kind of improvements something like Torghast can offer over M+ or 10man flex raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    Smaller group endgame content is a good thing
    solo dungeon is a good thing for a dying game
    and it's pretty much mandatory, so people will get used to it) rip raids
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Almost seems more like Deaths of Chromie meets Withered Training, but on a randomized map.

This better be good, it's 50% of the expansions new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Almost seems more like Deaths of Chromie meets Withered Training, but on a randomized map.

This better be good, it's 50% of the expansions new features.
    This sounds right. Got my reward from Chromie and never looked back, but I still hit up withered training for artifact appearances every couple weeks or so. I'm one of the fortunate few who still couldn't get one or two of them after trying for pretty much all of Legion.

funny they are trying to make diablo more like wow and wow more like diablo. the changes to diablo I appreciate though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really curious how Torghast will be balanced. Things may change with the unpruning, but right now most classes can't do good ST, AoE, burst, and sustained in one spec, and I imagine that these will all be possible scenarios in Torghast. Right now, if an affliction warlock walks into a room that requires burst AoE then they would fail and there's not much they can do about it. Classes in Diablo are much better suited for this rift style gameplay, we would need MoP-style class design to do the same.