View Poll Results: New classes and new specs which if any do you want - Multiple choice.

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Id like to see fourth specs added where possible

32 47.06%
  • I dont want more specs added to the classes we have

14 20.59%
  • I want new classes

27 39.71%
  • I dont want new classes

15 22.06%
  • Other

7 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Yeah, said it many times. I would love to see new classes and races that brought something unique to the game. But there's only so much you can do with tanking, healing and damage. And those have been covered many times over by the classes and specs we have. It's fine to disagree with this but the game has become so homogenized now that new classes and specs would seem to be little more than making new skins on what we have now and changing the names of some abilities around. I would enjoy seeing something like support classes but the meta for the game dictates against them being optimal.
    Would certainly be a very big change support classes, not sure Blizzard would do it but it has the potential to breathe new life and something new into the game for sure.

And I totally understand your POV on not wanting either, I was just clarifying what your exact viewpoint was on specs and classes

4th spec would be cool but I just cannot see it happening. 11-12 new specs is like 4 new classes at once. Especially if they offer drastically different playstyles.

Yeah, said it many times. I would love to see new classes and races that brought something unique to the game. But there's only so much you can do with tanking, healing and damage. And those have been covered many times over by the classes and specs we have. It's fine to disagree with this but the game has become so homogenized now that new classes and specs would seem to be little more than making new skins on what we have now and changing the names of some abilities around. I would enjoy seeing something like support classes but the meta for the game dictates against them being optimal.
    Pretty much, since the desire is new specs and having them all magically balanced with one an other.

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Would certainly be a very big change support classes, not sure Blizzard would do it but it has the potential to breathe new life and something new into the game for sure.

And I totally understand your POV on not wanting either, I was just clarifying what your exact viewpoint was on specs and classes
    No problem. Happy to explain.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post

snip
    I was hoping for a new class; we currently have 7 core races and 4 (soon to be 5) allied races who are currently split between 12 classes. However given the restrictive nature of the DH class a new one which fit both Vulpera and Mechagnome would've been nice. but sadly not to be, although it is something they could announce down the line

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    4th spec would be cool but I just cannot see it happening. 11-12 new specs is like 4 new classes at once. Especially if they offer drastically different playstyles.
    Never thought about it like that, indeed it would, however, what I specifically meant (though I admit I didnt state this) was more that they could add a fourth to a few classes every now and then where it made sense, so not all would get four, and not all in one go, like you said, only ones that offer drastically different playstyles while also fitting into existing class archetypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    They left the DH with 2 specs and you think they will give us a 4th spec ? seriously...
    this.

Unless they make a third for dh, i insta buy the expansion.

Lightbulb

How about they fix, at first, everything they broke, show players, that they understand hierarchy of priorities in design.
    - - -
    most of ideas presented here aren't constructive in any way, simply because majority continues to think in terms of "specs", not classes, and they don’t understand that in order to add new direction of specialization, it’s necessary to expand functionality of entire class (you want melee hunter+ (interesting threads, with a lot of good points here)? you give melee functionality to all hunters: 3rd slot for distant weapons with leaving first two for close combat, and additional mechanics&abilities), rather than split classes into specializations (otherwise it just doesn't work, see hierarchy), but within framework of their current mechanics vast majority of ideas mentioned here simply can't shove inside; even those in stock, are "castrated"
    - - -
    Therefore, all this rubbish, is empty shake of information space, and their moving in this direction will only aggravate discord in design with all ensuing consequences... and it’s absolutely not important here what I/you/devs want, main thing is what design should be like for system to fulfill its functional purpose.

Нow this all works? You take lore, clarify all possible classes mechanics, which will be their canonical distinguishing feature within the game (in this case, it can be easily skipped, because class design already had this state in framework of game’s history, suppose that it was somewhere between WotLK and BC, so next), sprinkle this functionality with functionally non-changing, but only complementary, tasty "dessert" mechanics of subsequent expansions (don’t see any reason to discard random good ideas even from “mediocre” former/current team members) - we get formed&working class system !of each of their representatives! What to do next? Now you need to think about talents that will make this or that class mechanics more convenient/preferable to use, while some mechanics can get, in sense, interdependent state thereby forming specialization area. After all this, we look at whether all available mechanics are taken into account in areas of specialization, if not... here already optional action will begin: let it be as it is, add them somewhere, or there could be formed additional specialization on their basis. Moreover! this choice had no dictatorial impact for player’s individual preferences regarding “RP” component, and no matter what mechanics were chosen as preferred, still rogue with any set of talents could be just duelist or pirate, secret agent, ninja and anyone else at player's will. Class' name is not what "it" is within game system component, just conditional separation, mechanics are. They are your class, which means they are mandatory for each of its representatives (and there can be even no talk in framework of this design about "modern way" understanding of specs; build is your spec here). - set of posts in "after pre-SL" talkings - here some later stuff

...but not bloodthirsty charge into classes in berserk mode shouting "It's Time To Slice&Dice!"

ps. And then you look at what characteristics can help players in choosing their role, which ones will be mandatory for particular sphere of game content, and which are universal, which will be preferable for one role, and which for another... then it goes issue of itemization... and so on, and so on.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-04-25 at 06:48 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

I'd only be considering new specs if they bring a new role (ex: DK healer, Shaman tank, etc), if it is a new spec just for the sake of an unexplored class theme, then it should be a new class.

On the topic of new classes, I support getting a new class.

They’re moving away from specs mattering, but ya’ll want more, for fucking what?
    We need a spec pruning.

I want them to focus on fixing the current classes before they add more, which they seem to be focused on doing with Shadowlands.

Being totally selfish, I'd rather have a new class, try how that works instead of trying 12 new speccs.

I know people who love a certain specc will strangle me...and while I enjoyed both Disc and Holy Priests, I wonder if classes like Priests, hunters, rogues...even warriors couldn't do with 1 specc less

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Would love to see a 4th specc, or new class but in general, I like to just ponder....

Warrior:
    - Protection (Tank)
    - Arms (DPS)
    - Fury (DPS)
    - Gladiator (2h/shield, 1h/shield - Prot / DPS) or (Javelin / Throwing axes - Ranged DPS)

Paladin:
    - Protection (Tank)
    - Retribution (DPS)
    - Holy (Heal)
    - Cleric (Ranged Caster DPS/Heal) or Templar (Prot DPS/Aura buffing)

Death Knight:
    - Blood (Tank)
    - Frost (DPS)
    - Unholy / Necromancer (Ranged DPS)
    - Defiler (Ranged Tank) or Runemaster (Mid-ranged Heal)

Shaman:
    - Elemental (Ranged DPS)
    - Restoration (Heal)
    - Enhancement (DPS)
    - Warden aka. Earthwarden (Tank)

Hunter:
    No current ideas for a 4th.

Monk:
    - Mistweaver (Heal)
    - Brewmaster (Tank)
    - Windwalker (DPS)
    - Cloud dancer (Ranged DPS)

Rogue:
    - Subtlety (DPS)
    - Outlaw (DPS)
    - Assassination (DPS)
    - Dark Ranger (Ranged DPS)

Druid:
    Already has four.

Demon Hunter:
    - Blade Dancer (Mid-ranged DPS)
    - Can't think of a 4th

Priest:
    - Holy (Heal)
    - Disciplin (Heal)
    - Shadow (Ranged DPS)
    - Fanatic (Melee DPS - cursed blades, void enhanced cloth armor buff)

Mage:
    - Frost (DPS)
    - Fire (DPS)
    - Arcane (DPS)
    - Warder (Ranged Tank)

Warlock:
    No current ideas for a 4th.
    Hunter could add ranger or pathfinder.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

People gotta let 4th specs go

I think it makes sense to create a 4th spec in some cases rather than risk alienating players who really enjoyed a particular spec. Saw a lot of understandably unhappy Hunters in response to Survival .. a 4th spec would have been a better approach there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Hunter could add ranger or pathfinder.
    Would be cool to see some use of trapwire and such.. A melee+ throwing weapon Pathfinder? (Just trying to break the view of too much the same).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    People gotta let 4th specs go
    It's a forum. People like to theorize, speculate and just talk about things - just like others like to rant and complain.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Would love to see a 4th specc, or new class but in general, I like to just ponder....

Druid:
    Already has four.
    It might already have 4, but druid has some really easy to pull from new specs too.

A physical ranged dps using throwing weapons (mostly javelins) in dryad form.

Just literally lunara from hots, as a spec. They already explored it in the warfront too.

As much as I'd love 4th specs, they'll probably never happen. The balancing nightmare would be ridiculous.

My take is that the ultimate goal should be to allow people to fulfill the character concept that they have in mind. If they see a cool character in game and they want to emulate that, they should be able to. If there is a common fantasy archetype not covered by the current classes/specs, there should be a mechanic to allow players to emulate that.

At this point I think the simplest way to do this is by introducing Class Skins. Changing the art and animation of existing classes, but keeping the mechanics, to allow for players to have characters that match the fantasy they want. It requires far less work to implement than either a new class or new specs, and therefore would allow for more to be added and give players the ability to create those characters they have been dreaming up.

Two examples:

Tinker (Druid Skin):

- Bear Form is replaced by Mech Suit
    - Moonkin Form is replaced by Heavy Gunner
    - Cat form is replaced by Stealth Suit
    - Travel Form is replaced by Jetpack

Essentially take the mechanic of the Druid's multiple forms and apply it what a Tinker is. They have their various "forms" which are using unique art and animations, but mechanically no different than the usual Druid class components. This allows the player to fulfill the Tinker class fantasy without needing to create a brand new class.

Necromancer (Warlock Skin):

- Reskin demonic minions into undead ones
    - Change spell effects like Incinerate and Hand of Guldan (for example) to take on a more death/necrotic look

In this case the changes needed are actually a lot smaller. By simply swapping out Demon minions for undead equivalents (mechanically identical to the warlock pets, just visually different) and altering the effects of some spells, you can have a reasonable approximation of a Necromancer class.

Is this method perfect? Hell no. There are people who it won't satisfy and that's unfortunate. But I do believe that it would satisfy a large segment of the population that have been itching to accomplish a variety of character concepts that they have not been able to adequately fulfill. And it would require far less development time than adding either new classes or new specs. To help with it, I would also look into easing some of the transmog rules to allow players to better customize their characters to achieve the look that they want.

I thought Tinkerer could have potential if it was a combination of the Engineer & Medic classes from Wildstar. WoW doesn't have anything particularly similar to either.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."