Field Marshal

Is anyone else really put off by holy words?

I started playing priest back in vanilla. I played it as main until they implemented the holy words. Tried playing holy priest again now this season and the healing output is just so pathetic compared to others outside of holy words. 17k flash heals? My paladin as protection does 30k flash of light. Hand of protector does up to 260k, on something that has less CD than holy words.

Resto druid? I struggle to keep people alive on my priest compared to resto because healing output is so low outside of spikes with holy words.

Is anyone else really put off by the holy words? I'd rather have our healing moved back to the ordinary spells.

Their throughput is actually good, just look through warcraftlogs

Priest has always been the worst healer the past couple expacs, in terms of throughput and utility. I remember back during Legion, Holy Priest was pretty much just a worse version of Resto Druid, in that druids literally had things that were what priest had but better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

I started in TBC with a Holy priest and quit Priest after clearing Highmaul in Wod.
    I've also picked up Holy Priest again in classic.

The new (kinda) design of Holy priest is a bit of a joke. I remember my bewilderment after seeing that all baseline Holy Priest spells became a one or the other TALENTS in wod/legion.

I think they really need to think of redesign of both Holy / Disc so people can once again play (and also enjoy) holy on a competitive level.

Scarab Lord
    I'm not exactly "put off", but they did lose a lot of steam throughout the expansion. Ignoring the fact that Disc is the preferred spec most of the time, neither of the spell really justify their long cooldown. Serenity does hit reasonably hard, but rest of our single target healing is really bad. As such, it's not exactly "cherry on top", but rather "bit of gold on a pile of shit". Sanctuary is better, but mostly because it's a smart heal that actually does decent healing, unlike PoH/CoH, which are pretty average. It does lead to the unfortunate result of "I need to spam these weak little spells in order to actually get something good ten times in a fight."

All of this kinda-sorta work (again, ignoring Disc being better, as usual), but it really feels like the base kit suffers thanks to these supposed "super" spells. Doesn't help that there's only one talent related to them and it competes with Salvation, which is a total joke. Most of Azerite traits are pathetically weak, too, so... eh. Everything kind of descended into mediocrity I guess.

What's sad is that we didn't really lose anything major from Legion - except for bouncing Mendings during Hymn/chance to split on healing - and gained a major raid cooldown... and the spec is still only okay...ish, with the supposed "healing miracles" being nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol View Post
    the healing output is just so pathetic compared to others outside of holy words.
    Could that possibly be because our thing, the thing that sets us apart from the other classes, the thing that is our "niche", the thing that is our speciality..... is Holy Words?

You're supposed to use them and add the healing from them to everything else you do, to get the full picture of how good or bad we are. Don't like them, that's fine. But they are a big part of our kit and not using them will certainly make you a crappy healer.
    Last edited by Throwme; 2019-11-05 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Could that possibly be because our thing, the thing that sets us apart from the other classes, the thing that is our "niche", the thing that is our speciality..... is Holy Words?

You're supposed to use them and add the healing from them to everything else you do, to get the full picture of how good or bad we are. Don't like them, that's fine. But they are a big part of our kit and not using them will certainly make you a crappy healer.
    Disc/HPal specialty: Damage reduction, healing while dpsing (and hpal can provide immunities/improved cleansing as well)

Druid Speciality: Hots, Utility (especially in m+)

Monk Specialty: HPS, utility

Holy Priest Speciality: ...Holy Words.

Surely you can see the problem with this? Holy is the worst healer in raids. The worst healer in mythic+. Nonexistent in PvP. The OP is right. Holy is lackluster right now and needs some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Surely you can see the problem with this? Holy is the worst healer in raids. The worst healer in mythic+. Nonexistent in PvP. The OP is right. Holy is lackluster right now and needs some changes.
    Logs doesn't seem to agree with that

Field Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayrah View Post
    Their throughput is actually good, just look through warcraftlogs
    I'm not raiding. In raids it might be good because you are co-healing but in dungeons it's a lot harder compared to a restore druid. You have to cast like 6 or 7 flash heals to get serenity off CD again. The flash heals are pretty weak considering you have to stand still to cast them, you can't dps while healing and you have next to no utility. Unlike a restore druid, which just throws up their heals and then are free to dps, they have more survivability, they have damage reduction CDs, both for themselves and others, Ursuls vortex, mass root, battle res. Their swiftmend can reach absurd amount of healing compared to serenity and is 25 sec and doesn't need any casting to be used in a reasonable time again.

A major part of the problem in mythic plus is we spend so much time casting to get holy words off cd to get some healing out, healing that is worse than restore druids.
    Last edited by Luna Sol; 2019-11-06 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol View Post
    I'm not raiding. In raids it might be good because you are co-healing but in dungeons it's a lot harder compared to a restore druid. You have to cast like 6 or 7 flash heals to get serenity off CD again. The flash heals are pretty weak considering you have to stand still to cast them, you can't dps while healing and you have next to no utility. Unlike a restore druid, which just throws up their heals and then are free to dps, they have more survivability, they have damage reduction CDs, both for themselves and others, Ursuls vortex, mass root, battle res. Their swiftmend can reach absurd amount of healing compared to serenity and is 25 sec and doesn't need any casting to be used in a reasonable time again.

A major part of the problem in mythic plus is we spend so much time casting to get holy words off cd to get some healing out, healing that is worse than restore druids.
    I mean yeah, holy priest is by no means a class that you will use to push high level m+, but I never had issues healing the weekly +12's or +17's, especially once the essences came out, and we got well to pick up slack on grievous and necrotic weeks. I actually have a lot of free time to DPS cause of holy words (and me healing dungeons in my raid gear with lots of mastery), since just one cast keeps people up for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Logs doesn't seem to agree with that
    Where are all the holy priests in EP?

Where are all the holy priests in EP?

@Ophenia that's just for one boss in the raid, whereas for every other boss their representation is lacking or just not there.

@Ophenia that's just for one boss in the raid, whereas for every other boss their representation is lacking or just not there.
    Holy has a huge problem in M+ but it’s not for lack of healing. Holy lacks damage, utility, and a battle res to make it as viable as other healers. Holy will be able to outheal any M+ with the right azerite trait setup, but why bring Holy when Rdruid or Disc can do it better.

Now if you think Holy is weak in raiding you are dead wrong. Holy has the highest HPS next to Glimmer Paladin (which is being nerfed/capped) next patch. Where Holy truly shines is Progression and AOE heavy fights that require lots and lots of healing. Holy is the only spec with 2 throughput raid healing CDs and they are both quite strong. The only weakness, is again like of utility/Damage reduction. If you are being beaten in healing you either have the wrong set up in terms of gear, or maybe severely overhealing the content in which Holy is then stifled.