Thread: Diablo IV style

Diablo IV style

Lets talk about its style. There seems to be thread for all aspects of the game so lets bring this up too and see, if there is enough discussion.

They said they want the d2 feeling from the style and not the colorful flashy d3. I was thinking of this and while I do remember the storyline and events, I realized I did not remember any conversations or quotes, ect. from d3 since it always felt more like filler. Like in act4, I remember diablo all the time spamming you with "lol, you made it here, but you will die now!" "Hohoho, you made it this far, but my minions will kill you now!" "Hohoho, you are too late, you will die now", "Hohoho, I am invincible! You have lost! You will die now!". No reason to remember these.

Then d2, for some reason I remember even some random quotes from random side quests because they were actually interesting in their own way. Like the countess quest in act1. I remember how I always went to click the quest starting tome because I loved the "storyteller" voice describing how the countess who bathed in blood of hundred virgins was buried alive. I never really got that feeling in d3. I hope they will get the right feeling in d4.

I like the grittier style and more toned down colors. Curious what they will do with special mobs however. Even D2 had brightly awful colored rare mobs same as D1 and D3... but first glance makes me think it will feel more out of place in D4 if they go that route.

Another concern is that even though everything is more gritty, a lot of it all just blends together. I hope they make objects pop out more somehow without simply turning up the color for them. Everything is sort of brown and grey, more colors isn't necessarily a bad thing if they balance the saturation correctly.

Hell, even the blizzard just looks like something grey.

Yeah, I notice the colors look like everything has a layer of mud on them or lacks colors. While d3 was really colorful, d2 had more colors than d4 has, as far as I can tell from watching the demo gameplay.

I would guess the spell effects arent even nearly ready yet, but I'd like some more color, but not as far as d3 had.

10+ Year Old Account
    The style of D4 is more like D1 than D2. Unfortunately, the starting area Scosglen, is a rather monotone landscape with grasslands and rocks (and I'm guessing really in its early stages). I'm guessing the later areas will be a bit more colorful but I doubt we can expect anything over the top and saturated like D3. I'm guessing even Kehjistan is going to be muted colors.

That looks to be Kehjistan and I'm quite liking the color palette.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Lets talk about its style. There seems to be thread for all aspects of the game so lets bring this up too and see, if there is enough discussion.

They said they want the d2 feeling from the style and not the colorful flashy d3. I was thinking of this and while I do remember the storyline and events, I realized I did not remember any conversations or quotes, ect. from d3 since it always felt more like filler. Like in act4, I remember diablo all the time spamming you with "lol, you made it here, but you will die now!" "Hohoho, you made it this far, but my minions will kill you now!" "Hohoho, you are too late, you will die now", "Hohoho, I am invincible! You have lost! You will die now!". No reason to remember these.

Then d2, for some reason I remember even some random quotes from random side quests because they were actually interesting in their own way. Like the countess quest in act1. I remember how I always went to click the quest starting tome because I loved the "storyteller" voice describing how the countess who bathed in blood of hundred virgins was buried alive. I never really got that feeling in d3. I hope they will get the right feeling in d4.
    The only line from all three games is the Butcher saying "Fresh meat." I remember more areas from D3, probably because I've played it more recently and easily double the amount of hours. I like the visual tone of D4. I liked the way D3 looked. I was never really a fan of the visuals in the first two eventhough I loved them as well. As long as it plays smooth and classes are fun to play, the game will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Yeah, I notice the colors look like everything has a layer of mud on them or lacks colors. While d3 was really colorful, d2 had more colors than d4 has, as far as I can tell from watching the demo gameplay.

I would guess the spell effects arent even nearly ready yet, but I'd like some more color, but not as far as d3 had.
    I'm sure the colors will be muted in comparison to D3, but we were only given a slice of one area in the game. An area where it's mostly wet and foggy near a coast. That doesn't bode well for color. Let's see what the desert, snowy area, and others look like.

As for spell effects, they said they wanted to tone that down from 3. In 3 we were basically superpowered. Hence all the crazy abilities and effects. In 4 I don't think we are going to be superpowered anymore, hopefully they have a good lore reason. But in the artwork that had the 3 classes fighting, the minimalist spell effects is their goal.