Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Democrat Andy Beshear wins Kentucky Governor race over incumbent Matt Bevin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/andy-besh...032539959.html

Democrat Andy Beshear claimed victory in the Kentucky governor’s race, with a margin of about 5,000 votes over Republican Gov. Matt Bevin, in a state won by President Trump by 30 points in 2016.

Three hours after the polls closed, Bevin had not conceded, and there were reports he might seek a recount.

The election was largely a referendum on Bevin’s unpopular plan to roll back Medicaid expansion and his attacks on the state’s teachers. But Bevin also tied himself to the president, who held a rally for him in Lexington Monday night along with Kentucky’s two Republican senators, Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul. Trump, addressing the governor, said, “If you lose, it sends a really bad message … you can’t let that happen to me.”

Beshear, the state attorney general, rolled up large margins in the suburbs while improving on recent Democratic numbers in parts of coal country.

Bevin is unpopular in the state, with a 53 percent disapproval rating, the second lowest of any governor but an improvement from polling earlier this year that had him even lower. He had been antagonistic toward teachers, telling an interviewer last year that children left at home were being sexually assaulted and trying drugs while some schools shut down for a protest at the capital. A number of Republicans endorsed Beshear, including one of Bevin’s Republican primary opponents.

One of the dividing lines in the race was health care: Beshear’s father Steve was Bevin’s predecessor in the governor’s mansion and expanded Medicaid. Bevin has attempted to undo that expansion, requesting a waiver from the White House to impose work requirements that the younger Beshear opposed. Bevin’s plan was blocked by a federal judge, but an estimated 95,000 people would lose health care if the change went through.

In his election-night speech Beshear said preserving Medicaid expansion, protecting public-employee pensions and investing in public schools would be his priorities.

“If Beshear wins, it will prove that you can’t mess with people’s pensions, call them thugs, and threaten to take away their healthcare in the same year,” wrote Lexington Herald-Leader columnist Linda Blackford in her preview of the race.

While Bevin lost, Republicans won the race for state attorney general for the first time since the 1940s, with Daniel Cameron winning over 57 percent of the vote. Cameron will be the state’s first African-American attorney general.

“Now he is difficult, I have to say, maybe it costs him the election, but it’s OK,” Trump said of Bevin at Monday’s rally. “When he needs something for Kentucky like money, like aid, he wants me to call one of the many manufacturers now that are coming into Kentucky, ‘Could you call the head of some company in Japan, please?’ I say, ‘Matt, do I have to?’ ‘Please, please.’ But isn’t that what you really want in a governor? That’s what you want. He’s such a pain in the ass, but that’s what you want.”

The Trump campaign continued to push for Bevin on Twitter.

“Fantastic being in the Great State of Kentucky last night,” wrote Trump. “Vote for Matt Bevin NOW! [Bevin] One of Best Governors in U.S. He will never let you down!”

“Big numbers to help [Bevin] win four more years as the governor of Kentucky!” wrote Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale following the rally.

While Bevin tried to nationalize the race, frequently bringing up his support for Trump, Beshear steered clear of impeachment, only telling the New York Times, “I would like to see more of any proceedings happen in the public” when asked about the House inquiry. When asked if he thought Trump was a good man, Beshear said “I don’t know the president” and said he would work with him if it helped Kentucky.

In his interview with the Times, Bevin predicted an easy night.

“I’d say six to 10 percent,” said the governor, predicting his margin of victory, adding, “I think you’re going to be shocked at how uncompetitive this actually is.”
    A Democrat wins the governor seat from a heavy GOP state which Trump won by 30 points in 2016. Matt Bevin the incumbent trying to smooch Trump's ass arrogantly gloating he would win the election by a large margin loses. I hope McConnell is shitting his Russian colored turtle shell with this just happening and how unpopular he is in Kentucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/andy-besh...032539959.html

A Democrat wins the governor seat from a heavy GOP state which Trump won by 30 points in 2016. Matt Bevin the incumbent trying to smooch Trump's ass arrogantly gloating he would win the election by a large margin loses. I hope McConnell is shitting his Russian colored turtle shell with this just happening and how unpopular he is in Kentucky.

I'm not sure any of are friends here that rely on Fox News know yet.

CNN: Kentucky elects Democratic governor
    NBC: Kentucky elects Democratic governor
    ABC: Kentucky elects Democratic governor
    CBS: Kentucky elects Democratic governor
    Fox News:
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post

Fox News:
    I thought the GOP and Trumpsters hate celebrities and that they should shut their fucking mouths on things they know nothing about. Yet when Jon Voight, Tim Allen, Kid Rock, etc... talk they know what is going on and we should all listen.

I thought the GOP and Trumpsters hate celebrities and that they should shut their fucking mouths on things they know nothing about. Yet when Jon Voight, Tim Allen, Kid Rock, etc... talk they know what is going on and we should all listen.
    Remember also lord god of America, the hero of the 80s, he who must be worshipped along side Trump was also a celebrity named Ronald Reagan. According to fox that is.

10+ Year Old Account

Fox News:
    The funny thing is that, even if Fox tries not to talk about it... it's not some "passing news story." He will be governor. And people in Kentucky sure as hell aren't going to be kept in the dark about it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Welcome to some huge hypocrisy of the right. I wonder how Fox News would of reacted if Kim and Kanye met with a Liberal president. I bet you they would of sang a different tune.

It hasn't been confirmed yet, has it? I'm sure the GOP has some more underhanded and illegal shit up their sleeves to pull off during the expected recount, and given that the FEC has been de-fanged for the foreseeable future they'll likely get away with even more than they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    It hasn't been confirmed yet, has it? I'm sure the GOP has some more underhanded and illegal shit up their sleeves to pull off during the expected recount, and given that the FEC has been de-fanged for the foreseeable future they'll likely get away with even more than they have in the past.
    What I saw says 100% of the vote is in and he won.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    What I saw says 100% of the vote is in and he won.
    Cool. Last I saw there were still a few districts that hadn't reported. But I also read that Bevin is expected to call for a recount.

10+ Year Old Account
    There may be a recount. *shrug* Also both houses in Virginia flipped Democrat.

10+ Year Old Account
    State GOP Declares; These Rats Aren't Going to Fuck Themselves!

Senate President Robert Stivers raises possibility of recanvass first, then recount and then a "contested election" in Senate to determine the winner of this year's race for governor of Kentucky. State has not had a "contested election" since William Goebel in 1899 election.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Gerron View Post
    There may be a recount. *shrug* Also both houses in Virginia flipped Democrat.
    I was already aware of the latter. What keeps me from celebrating THIS contest, however, is:

Senate President Robert Stivers raises possibility of recanvass first, then recount and then a "contested election" in Senate to determine the winner of this year's race for governor of Kentucky. State has not had a "contested election" since William Goebel in 1899 election.
    This. When it's close, the GOP will do EVERYTHING it can to steal it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This. When it's close, the GOP will do EVERYTHING it can to steal it.
    I mean anytime an election is close I'd expect a recount or the like. Trump has been stumping hard for Bevin like mad too so you know they're gonna try anything to get the result they want and McConnell is up for reelection next year so.

10+ Year Old Account

And they are whining about the Libertarian who got 2% of the vote and how most of the votes he got would have gone to Bevin and made him the winner if Hicks hadn't been on the ballot. Except they didn't go to Bevin; they voted for that Hicks guy. The GOP are whining about how impeaching Trump is undoing the results of an election, well, it looks like the GOP wants to change the outcome of this election just because it didn't go the way they wanted it to.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I really hope Kentucky does not follow the Goebel precedent.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats to Beshear. Bevin was a very unpopular Governor, who was blamed for the teacher's pension fund problems. He had a 36% approval rating at one point. Amazing he came that close to being reelected. But the GOP won every single state level election except for the Governorship. Including the very first African American AG in the history of Kentucky. A Republican. It is also interesting Kentucky has never reelected a Republican Governor in it's history.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-11-06 at 01:22 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Congrats to Beshear. Bevin was a very unpopular Governor, who was blamed for the teacher's pension fund problems. He had a 36% approval rating at one point. Amazing he came that close to being reelected. But the GOP won every single state level election except for the Governorship. Including the very first African American AG in the history of Kentucky. A Republican. It is also interesting Kentucky has never reelected a Republican Governor in it's history.
    What an amazing piece of damage control. You acknowledged the Dem win and tried everything you could to make it seem like as meaningless of a win as you could. Papa Trump would be proud of you!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    What an amazing piece of damage control. You acknowledged the Dem win and tried everything you could to make it seem like as meaningless of a win as you could. Papa Trump would be proud of you!
    The truth works out that way. Meanwhile the democrats kicked ass in Virginia. Feel better?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    The dude is refusing to concede.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The truth works out that way. Meanwhile the democrats kicked ass in Virginia. Feel better?
    What you said is the truth. What you said is also a way to diminish the Dem gov victory in Kentucky. Why else bring it up? Hell why else bring up "Historically reps aren't reelected for gov!!"
    You're just trying to pretend the win wasn't a big deal cuz reps lost.
    Hence the damage control.