Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legality of suicide and anorexia.

pretty heavy topic, and idk if it's not allowed or not, but i saw something today and it just makes me feel pretty horrid.

saw a girl while i was out today, skin stretched over bone, veins everywhere, a dull(not dull as in stupid, just no glow like normal people have) look to her eyes. her co-workers just acting like nothing's wrong, everyone else shopping like nothing's wrong, yet there's a woman committing what is effectively suicide right there in front of them all. nobody can call the cops and get her forced help for it, nobody can do anything but let it happen.

what do you people think? to me, it's entirely a comparable concept. one shouldn't be legal while the other is illegal, because that's ultimately what it leads to, killing yourself with your behavior. i'm not saying anorexic people need to be locked up in jail of course, but i can't understand why it's perfectly legal to let yourself die this horrific way, yet it's illegal to blow your own head off.

while i wouldn't put them in a cold grey jail, i would like either forced rehab centers that are comfortable and you'd have to go there until you're fixed. or mandatory home visits from agents meant to make sure you're not harming yourself and mandatory mental health treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    after reading the first paragraph i have the strong urge to vomit.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    after reading the first paragraph i have the strong urge to vomit.
    i just felt like i wanted her to be helped. it was disturbing to look at of course, but my pity and sadness overwhelmed that.

i don't like talking emotionally with people irl, so i just didn't talk about it. even my mom just seemed to ignore it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    imo, don't judge. You have no idea whats really going on. You're just assuming.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    anorexia has only one outcome:death. eventually you just starve yourself to death.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

there's only really one thing that makes you look like this woman

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010...caro-popup.jpg

so i know part of what's going on. it doesn't matter your reasons for being this way, all that matters is that you're dying slowly, and you need to be helped. considering this model died due to the damage she did to herself with it, it's probably too late since she looked similar(kinda worse, tbh). but you should never not try.

I don't see a reason why suicide is illegal anyways. You want to stop people from killing themselves, see the root issue, offer psychological healthcare. Throwing them fines and jail time won't make their shit situation any better. If someone really, truly wants to die...it's their life to toss away and we can't exactly press charges against a corpse.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    anorexia has only one outcome:death. eventually you just starve yourself to death.
    How do you know she doesn't have some illness? You don't. You're just judging her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there's only really one thing that makes you look like this woman

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010...caro-popup.jpg

so i know part of what's going on. it doesn't matter your reasons for being this way, all that matters is that you're dying slowly, and you need to be helped. considering this model died due to the damage she did to herself with it, it's probably too late since she looked similar(kinda worse, tbh). but you should never not try.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/un...ed-weight-loss

You have no idea if she is getting help or not. Your just judging her to make yourself feel better.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

In civilized countries they won't arrest and prosecute people for attempted suicide, I fail to see why it should be brought back.

How about focusing on help through sincere care rather than from a point of "ew she looks horrible, can't someone DO something?", okay? Then again, civilized countries won't bankrupt people over mental illness neither.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-11-07 at 02:23 AM.

You have no idea if she is getting help or not. Your just judging her to make yourself feel better.
    i don't know if she's getting help, obviously.

but i mean in general, i think a person like this should be helped, rather than allowed to do this to their self.

if this specific person is getting help, then thank goodness, she needs it. but there's others out there that aren't, and i think that's wrong.

10+ Year Old Account

but i mean in general, i think a person like this should be helped, rather than allowed to do this to their self.

if this specific person is getting help, then thank goodness, she needs it. but there's others out there that aren't, and i think that's wrong.
    Maybe they can't afford it? You gonna foot the bill for them?

7+ Year Old Account
    @derpkitteh

You can't force people to eat you have to convince them through conversation. Same thing with staying alive vs suicide. I don't see how government is the solution unless it's through voluntary therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    How about focusing on help through sincere care rather than from a point of "ew she looks horrible, can't someone DO something?", okay?
    you have a unique talent for seeing everything in the worst possible light and then twisting everything around this incorrect assumption.

it's funny how someone like me(someone that hopes to not wake up every night i go to bed, wishes the world would end, and many other negatives) can look at a sick/injured/whatever person/animal and want to take care of it, yet most others seem to lack this basic decency.

and no, i don't think it's a civilized position to allow people to commit suicide. i think it'd be wrong to jail someone for it, but they need to be a nice safe place where they can be taken care of.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they can't afford it? You gonna foot the bill for them?
    the state should.

i've always been for nationalized healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know she doesn't have some illness? You don't. You're just judging her.

- - - Updated - - -

/double facepalm. anorexia IS an illness. how is stating facts judging her? why are you trying so hard to white knight for her?

10+ Year Old Account

If you have genuine concern, and just aren't trying to drag people by feigning concern. Hospices always need volunteers to help out.
    It's very rewarding to help those people out.

https://hospicefoundation.org/Volunteer
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    If you have genuine concern, and just aren't trying to drag people by feigning concern. Hospices always need volunteers to help out.
    It's very rewarding to help those people out.

https://hospicefoundation.org/Volunteer
    i wish i could do things like that.

i really can't communicate very well irl, going out today is the first time i've left the yard in 6 months(dentist thing). some kind of nationalized forced mental help system would benefit me too, to be honest.

So for one suicide can be illegal but you're going to have a hard time prosecuting a corpse. Second how do you know that the girl isn't already getting help? You don't know her story and it's not your place to judge her.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because helping someone like that is really difficult if they don't want to be helped.

Think about it for a moment, you're going to try and convince her to take care of her body by forcibly taking away her body autonomy? You're just as likely to make things worse on that route.

And truthfully, the system doesn't have enough resources to handle all the people who DO want help. As sad as it may be to see this woman suffering, it would be sadder still to bump a person who is seeking help in favor of one who is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anorexia like obesity is a disease not everything broken on someone is as easy to see on the outside or has a quick fix.

Some people overeat because it offers comfort, some people refuse to eat ironically for the same reason. It can be as emotional as it is physical or not.

In my opinion the truth is people need to have a good support system. Which isn’t the same as enabling, they also need sincerity and those that live and care for them.

Therapy from qualified psychologist can help.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know she's not the process of working on it?

Resident Cosplay Progressive