Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb University Project on the WoW Community...

This is meant to introduce a University project I'm doing on the World of Warcraft community and the rift that's been built between fans of Classic and fans of Retail. What I talk about is from pure observation, with a few necessary sources to meet my marking criteria. The announcement of Shadowlands happened to be perfect timing for me.

I'm expecting backlash (because it's mmo-c after all) but tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Harisun View Post
    This is meant to introduce a University project I'm doing
    The university project runs off from your private youtube channel?

So what's the project about, is there a paper to read? What kind of input are you looking for (why? what's the method of research)? Your main point (according to your video) was "Why is Classic WoW so volatile?" You're asking for comments to you notes so you can make more future videos about the subject. What's the academic output of this? What field of research is this even? Sociology? Maybe you could provide a link to you univ faculty project page where this is described?

Right now, you've posted 10-min rambling opinion piece on youtube and you're promoting it here.
    There's really not much to discuss at the moment, except to report this as self referential video spam.
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-11-11 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    The university project runs off from your private youtube channel?

So what's the project about, is there a paper to read? What kind of input are you looking for (why? what's the method of research)? Your main point (according to your video) was "Why is Classic WoW so volatile?" You're asking for comments to you notes so you can make more future videos about the subject. What's the academic output of this? What field of research is this even? Sociology? Maybe you could provide a link to you univ faculty project page where this is described?

Right now, you've posted 10-min rambling opinion piece on youtube and you're promoting it here.
    There's really not much to discuss at the moment, except to report this as self referential video spam.
    He's obviously lying that it's for a university project, but so what? God forbid people make a thread to advertise their video. The whole "NO MAKE THREAD FOR VIDEO111" is the most stifling and arbitrary fucking rule on this stupid forum. People are allowed to make threads for some Preach video or Asmongold clip ad nauseam, but don't forget you can't promote your video essay concerning WoW. While I feel there should be appropriate threads for things like boring pvp videos or whatever, I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to post videos in threads when they can post whatever the hell else they want. Does it matter if their post is voice acted in a video or just text? The fuck difference does it make? Of course I'm just rambling a bit about the forum rules, but it bears discussing since it's an arbitrary and poorly thought up rule that just suppresses people's ability to share their thoughts via video-format, in a community full of people constantly bitching that there's no one but Preach to watch.

If he had posted this entire video in a text format, would you be bitching about reporting it? Of course you wouldn't. Discuss what he talked about in the video instead of whining, maybe.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2019-11-11 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    He's obviously lying that it's for a university project, but so what? God forbid people make a thread to advertise their video. The whole "NO MAKE THREAD FOR VIDEO111" is the most stifling and arbitrary fucking rule on this stupid forum.
    I don't really care if someone posts a "look at muh video response to Asmongolds reaction" - but if you post it saying it's for academic project, I'm immediately more interested. And in this case I had hard time finding connection to any kind of research/project, or any actual point in it.

If he had posted this entire video in a text format, would you be bitching about reporting it? Of course you wouldn't.
    Could be. And you'd be just as angry about it as you are now, because that's your thing.

Discuss what he talked about in the video instead of whining, maybe.
    So that's also a thing. He wants to discuss Classic and this is not even Classic forum.
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-11-11 at 06:06 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't need to play a video to tell you it all basically comes down to first impressions and an inability to adjust and adapt from a combination of aging and making what you enjoy a part of your identity. Tribalism and shortsighted psychological phenomena cause people to take out unrelated frustrations on others they feel deserve it merely for being or thinking differently. It's what happens when people drift instead of choose direction and ideals for themselves to adhere to.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    I don't really care if someone posts a "look at muh video response to Asmongolds reaction" - but if you post it saying it's for academic project, I'm immediately more interested. And in this case I had hard time finding connection to any kind of research/project, or any actual point in it.
    Of course he fibbed about it being for school. He's trying to bypass having his thread shutdown by some egotripping mod for a fake reason. It doesn't excuse him for lying, but it's not his fault he can't share his own video.

Could be. And you'd be just as angry about it as you are now, because that's your thing.
    I like how you know I'm right so you're trying to say "yeah well I COULD, also you're ANGRY". Truly you're an academic. You know as well as I do you wouldn't have even posted here at all if it was just a text post, lol.

So that's also a thing. He wants to discuss Classic and this is not even Classic forum.
    It's a video that's talking about Classic in relation to Retail, so it fits here pretty much. It's cutting hairs, and being laughably petty, to argue it should go somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's obviously lying that it's for a university project, but so what? God forbid people make a thread to advertise their video. The whole "NO MAKE THREAD FOR VIDEO111" is the most stifling and arbitrary fucking rule on this stupid forum. People are allowed to make threads for some Preach video or Asmongold clip ad nauseam, but don't forget you can't promote your video essay concerning WoW. While I feel there should be appropriate threads for things like boring pvp videos or whatever, I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to post videos in threads when they can post whatever the hell else they want. Does it matter if their post is voice acted in a video or just text? The fuck difference does it make? Of course I'm just rambling a bit about the forum rules, but it bears discussing since it's an arbitrary and poorly thought up rule that just suppresses people's ability to share their thoughts via video-format, in a community full of people constantly bitching that there's no one but Preach to watch.

If he had posted this entire video in a text format, would you be bitching about reporting it? Of course you wouldn't. Discuss what he talked about in the video instead of whining, maybe.
    So little space, so much irony.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I like how you know I'm right so you're trying to say "yeah well I COULD, also you're ANGRY". Truly you're an academic. You know as well as I do you wouldn't have even posted here at all if it was just a text post, lol.
    If he'd posted the thing as text, without reference to his highly unclear University project, yes, we'd be arguing about the actual content of his argument, instead of going around in circles with you about the site moderation (which of course is also not a topic to be discussed).

But as it is - it comes across as "help me with my project" - but none of it is actually structured like University research. It's just a op-ed video piece about how great Classic is.

If you look at the video comments on youtube, the Op is saying things like

"Shadowlands seems to be lacking a lot of 'new' features, however to me this shows a doubling down of core features, which includes aspects such as a sense of world, interaction with it and community / social engagements. Lessons I like to think they're learning from the success of Classic!"

So are we talking about community aspects between these two games or some kind of game vs. game crap that we've gone through billion times already?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So little space, so much irony.
    So much effort, so little value.

So much effort, so little value.
    One sentence is what you call "so much effort"? Your contribution to this thread is pathetic and you should stop emberassing yourself with your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    One sentence is what you call "so much effort"? Your contribution to this thread is pathetic and you should stop emberassing yourself with your whining.
    I mean, I know MMOChampion posters aren't the smartest but damn some of you are taking the cake tonight. It's a guy's video, it's stupid to whine about him posting it here because it breaks an arbitrary rule. Butthurt doesn't change the fact that pointing that out isn't whining. Now stop shitposting, no one wants to read it.

I mean, I know MMOChampion posters aren't the smartest but damn some of you are taking the cake tonight. It's a guy's video, it's stupid to whine about him posting it here because it breaks an arbitrary rule. Butthurt doesn't change the fact that pointing that out isn't whining. Now stop shitposting, no one wants to read it.
    If I take the cake then you take the whole bakery. If there is something no one wants to read, then it's definetly your posts as proven by literally ALL other posters in this thread. You are disgusting.

I completely agree with you. This is disgusting

Hey at least it's a new form of advertising. Never seen one of these before.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

It's cutting hairs
    just for reference, the saying is splitting hairs

Did you just confuse a sentence with a paragraph?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    just for reference, the saying is splitting hairs
    Are you cutting hairs?

- - - Updated - - -

If I take the cake then you take the whole bakery. If there is something no one wants to read, then it's definetly your posts as proven by literally ALL other posters in this thread. You are disgusting.
    Talk about living in your own world, lmao.

Of course he fibbed about it being for school. He's trying to bypass having his thread shutdown by some egotripping mod for a fake reason. It doesn't excuse him for lying, but it's not his fault he can't share his own video.
    Fake reason? Like self-advertising for video clicks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CherryHooper View Post
    I completely agree with you. This is disgusting
    You can quit the fake outrage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harisun View Post
    This is meant to introduce a University project I'm doing on the World of Warcraft community and the rift that's been built between fans of Classic and fans of Retail. What I talk about is from pure observation, with a few necessary sources to meet my marking criteria. The announcement of Shadowlands happened to be perfect timing for me.

I'm expecting backlash (because it's mmo-c after all) but tell me what you think!
    So did your professor tell you to fix your project or something because this is the third time you tried to do a Universaty project on the WoW Community:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...on-Classic-WoW
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...on-Classic-WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Fake reason? Like self-advertising for video clicks?
    I mean I made it pretty clear that the fake reason was because of the “self advertising” rule, which is an arbitrary and stupid rule that exists for no real reason. “Oh it’s so people don’t spam the forum with their self advertised videos!!!”, yeah only that’s no fucking different than them posting threads that are just text and not a video, not to mention a video is far harder to make than a single post so the real rule should be amended as “no self-promoting off topic videos or low effort spam videos”, rather than a rule that totally stifles someone’s ability to put themselves out there. This should be a community where one can launch themselves off on YouTube and gain an audience (something that is literally impossible to do by one’s own self on YouTube currently) but instead the no self-promo rule has turned the majority of people here into butthurt backseat mods who only use threads like this as a reason for self-righteous bitchyness. Why let new people get a foothold on WoW videos when we can all just moan and whine about the millionth Preach video, eh?

Like I said, it doesn’t excuse his lie but the fact is that the rule needs to be changed. People should absolutely be able to start a thread for their video. We could be debating the contents of the video, as if it were a text post like any other, but instead people are more caught up with reee reeee u post ur own vid reeee, and here we are.

Are you cutting hairs?
    all of them <3