Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Do people actually like classes in BFA?

I'm trying to sort this out. I personally thought classes felt awful in BFA.

At Blizzcon we got no major announcement regarding reworking of classes, and it seems like a lot of people congratulated Blizzard on that....so does that mean people are happy with the classes in their current iteration with some old abilities thrown back on top?

After all, if they were to do a major talent revamp - which would be required in order to make classes feel more like classes and less like specs - wouldn't that be a "revamp" that these same people are congratulating Blizzard for NOT announcing?

I don't really understand how they take focus away from specs if they don't completely shake up talents, but no one seems to want a rework?

I think my biggest issue is just how similar and simplistic they all feel. Like, you generally only use 3 or 4 skills, but there's still so much ability bloat from skills given from talents and fun skills that should be there but are really only situational. (Like Far sight, slow fall, etc).

But as I said in another post, I play my demon hunter/enhance shaman/death knight, and they all feel like the same class. They all feel the same. Manage your random resource and press the button for whatever skill flashes on your screen. It's kind of mindless and none of them feel truly unique. But it's been this way since Legion. They had to redesign classes for the artifact weapons and in doing so they've managed to essentially make the majority of these specs feel the same.

There are other issues I have with things like Ele shaman, where they've put so much emphasis on lava instead of sticking with lightning as the main focus, which kind of made the spec less fun to me because it just feels like you're playing a destro lock or fire mage, spam basic abilities, skill lights up, press, spam basic abilities, skill lights up, press.

Anyway, this probably didn't make a whole lot of sense but I agree. It's frustrating coming back from a 3 year break and having to relearn everything because every expansion they redesign classes. I miss getting new unique abilities.

I play 10 chars and like most of their specs. class design and balance is better than it's ever been

Very much so. Classes are the best they've been since Mists. I hope they don't butcher them in the next expansion.

I do for sure. I played and enjoyed more specs this expansion than any other for sure.
    I haven't ever played some of them before this though, so I admit I might have enjoyed them even more in the past, but I do feel like the customization present for classes is at the best its been this expansion.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Generally they are shit if we compare it to some points in the past. A good example is Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Generally they are shit if we compare it to some points in the past. A good example is Pandaria.
    For the first time since Vanilla I actually switched mains in BfA from Warlock to Warrior, so when it comes to Affliction Warlocks I certainly agree.

Unpruning isn't a major announcement?

Most specs feel good to me.

Is there room for improvement? Yes. But they don't feel bad whatsoever.

I mean you brought up 3 specs all feeling the same. What do you expect from a DPS spec? They all inheritintly boil down to the following.

Builder/Spender
    Resource management
    Push whatever is available

To me that sounds more like you having an issue with DPS specs than specs in general.
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

they're absolutely awful

They feel like trash and the GCD change was the trash cherry on top.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Chrotesque View Post
    For the first time since Vanilla I actually switched mains in BfA from Warlock to Warrior, so when it comes to Affliction Warlocks I certainly agree.

I can't remember what expansion it was, but I remember having a ton of fun on my metamorphosis demonology warlock. I guess it was Pandaria or Warlords before they revealed demon hunter and removed those abilities. But man was that a fun thing to play. (Overpowered as hell which is probably part of the reason it got changed, but so much fun.) Now I just play destro because affliction confuses the hell out of me and demonology just feels like a bunch of clunky cooldown management.

10+ Year Old Account
    They all feel the same, they're slow, GCD is hurting them, and they've moved all the fun spells to talents forcing to pick between two. Not all classes were builder/spender, and even when they were their rotations weren't monotone arcade buttons (though this might be an insult to arcade games since even they did combos justice).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post

At Blizzcon we got no major announcement regarding reworking of classes, and it seems like a lot of people congratulated Blizzard on that....so does that mean people are happy with the classes in their current iteration with some old abilities thrown back on top?

After all, if they were to do a major talent revamp - which would be required in order to make classes feel more like classes and less like specs - wouldn't that be a "revamp" that these same people are congratulating Blizzard for NOT announcing?

I don't really understand how they take focus away from specs if they don't completely shake up talents, but no one seems to want a rework?
    I'm happy with most, but not all. I think some specs just don't feel rewarding to play, like the 'oomph' of them.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Compared to legion they feel clunky and missing parts imo. They aren't horrible but nowhere near as good as mop or legion gameplay wise. Numbers wise they are all in a great place with most classes very close to each other in output.

Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    I think my biggest issue is just how similar and simplistic they all feel. Like, you generally only use 3 or 4 skills, but there's still so much ability bloat from skills given from talents and fun skills that should be there but are really only situational. (Like Far sight, slow fall, etc).

But as I said in another post, I play my demon hunter/enhance shaman/death knight, and they all feel like the same class. They all feel the same. Manage your random resource and press the button for whatever skill flashes on your screen. It's kind of mindless and none of them feel truly unique. But it's been this way since Legion. They had to redesign classes for the artifact weapons and in doing so they've managed to essentially make the majority of these specs feel the same.

There are other issues I have with things like Ele shaman, where they've put so much emphasis on lava instead of sticking with lightning as the main focus, which kind of made the spec less fun to me because it just feels like you're playing a destro lock or fire mage, spam basic abilities, skill lights up, press, spam basic abilities, skill lights up, press.

Anyway, this probably didn't make a whole lot of sense but I agree. It's frustrating coming back from a 3 year break and having to relearn everything because every expansion they redesign classes. I miss getting new unique abilities.
    Try playing Unholy spec instead of Frost on your DK.

Also try Elemental instead of Enhance.

All the ones you listed are builder/spender with procs, but two of the three classes have an alternate spec that while still a builder-spender is either slowed down (elemental) or requires pretty specific usage and becomes pretty godly (unholy.)

Also if you're always hitting the thing that lights up chances are you're not actually playing all that efficiently depending on the proc, your resources at the time and class/spec you're playing.

I agree that there's probably a bit much of just builder/spender going on, but frankly builder/spender priority rotations always have more depth and opportunity for choice than simple "969" rotations where everything is governed by a metronome rather than character choice.

So yes, I am enjoying classes in BfA quite a bit.

I have a 120:
    Fury/Prot Warrior
    Unholy/Blood DK
    Veng/Havoc DH
    Ret/Prot Paladin
    WW/BrM Monk

Of all of them the only one whose playstyle I don't really like is that of the monk. WW I think needs to be a bit more intuitive and have more stuff taken off the GCD since so often it feels like your only choice is "Do all the things!" Meanwhile BrM is in a good spot but really needs the legendary that gives an extra charge of keg smash from Legion to be baked into the class for just general smoothness of play and to give it some much needed damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Unpruning isn't a major announcement?

Most specs feel good to me.

Is there room for improvement? Yes. But they don't feel bad whatsoever.

I mean you brought up 3 specs all feeling the same. What do you expect from a DPS spec? They all inheritintly boil down to the following.

Builder/Spender
    Resource management
    Push whatever is available

To me that sounds more like you having an issue with DPS specs than specs in general.
    Eh. There's a GREAT example of 2 specs that were somewhat unique, but then got changed to basically be copies of how all other specs play - Elemental and Enhancement Shaman.

In WoD, Enhancement Shaman was entirely CD-based management - No resources. No builder. No spender. Just pushing buttons as they came up. It overall feel was FANTASTIC! But then they turned it into a copy of Fury warriors in Legion.

Elemental was proc-based in WoD. You push the buttons as they light up. And now they play like a immobile hunter. Terrible.

The worst part is that there are now NO playstyles that focus solely on those 2 things nowaday. Now everybody has resources, everybody has filler, and everybody has spender, except Mages. It's !@#$ed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I think outlaw and Assassin rogue play pretty well and are both enjoyable, but both do miss some flair here and there. If assassination had kingsbane back, then this would be the best iteration of the spec in the history in the game, as there are aspects of BFA assassination that are better than what it was in Legion. Like the pacing is significantly faster in BFA compared to what it was in Legion, while still maintaining the pre-planning aspects of it.

as someone who has every class at max level and plays them all at a consistent heroic raiding/10+ weekly level, i'd say they're fine.
    the best they've ever been? probably not, though even that's pretty subjective.
    but they're fine... just, fine. by and large if you enjoy class A you can enjoy class B because it has a spec that plays just like A, and i find that each of them are just unique enough in how they do mostly the same thing to where it doesn't grievously boring.

if you play a lot of alts, there's a consistency that makes it easier to manage remembering 20+ sets of hotkeys.
    if you don't play alts, you don't really have anything to compare it to, so whatever.
    there COULD be more play interaction and more diversity and that would be fine, but i don't find it particularly problematic where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post

I think most people who dislike BFA's class design either quit a long time ago or are playing classic.

Personally though, I liked the design more in legion. Sure not saying it was perfect, but honestly I don't believe in perfection anymore so in terms of enjoyment I found legion classes to be more entertaining than BFA.

Another thing I've noticed is the constant shift away from dot playstyles and more into direct damage, I used to enjoy playing dot classes but these days it seems like dots are just insignificant while most of your damage comes from burst cds or mechanics that enforce direct damage rather than the dots themselves.

Yep, feels like we have 36 classes.