Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Mage/Lock seem always have a spec thats really good and like others have said, Ranged is usually preferred.

If you want to play melee, go Rogue.
    Lock has the huge advantage of having multi dot/spread cleave ability.

I'd pick Warlock. But if "just" CE is your goal, just play what you like aside from the bottom few specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage, warlock, or rogue. They've never been truly bad, at worst being middle of the road, and most of the time they're very good.

Bonus reason for going rogue, you can get into m+ super easy since you're a fotm class there too

10+ Year Old Account
    R A N G E D

Especially if you are not already part of the guild that does Cutting Edge. It almost does not matter which ranged either, but if you want guarantees then Warlocks and Mages fit the bill, particularly Warlocks that are almost perpetually sighted in top positions both DPS and utility-wise. Shadow Priests are lit now, but it's a dangerous pick, because priest has only one ranged spec and if it gets screwed that's that.

---

If you are hellbent on making your recruitment life tough and limiting your options as melee, then Rogue, DH or Warrior. Then maybe Ret. DK has no useful raid utility whatsoever.

If you are just set on playing DK, then why the heck even post this whole thing?

Rogue, mage, warlock. The other day a mage used ToT as an example of mages not being brought. The raid where an immunity was mandatory on lei shen so you stacked the group with rogues, hunters, locks, mages.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont really recommend mage since you have to farm for the stupid bracers now and when m+ comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman 747 View Post
    Yeah makes sense, after looking at the spellbooks Lock seems to be the only class that genuinely has a robust toolkit now days. It's a bit of a shock coming back from Classic, where every class has their own utility and niches. Seems like classes are very light on utility these days.

Realistically, if you only want to raid on this character and not have to worry about re-rolling after balance patches play a lock. Their only downside is that they are crap in M+ if you want to push high-level keys. If you want a balance of high keys and raiding play a mage (although farming for bracers is annoying) as they are another multi-spec class that consistently performs in raids but has higher dungeon utility.

Any range class. Encounters in last tiers were all about bringing that 1DH for mdmg buff and as many range classes as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    hes saying that if you are ranged, you wont have to fight for a spot.
    From my own small experience of raid leader, this is true. Less available ranged than melee and they usually perform well on EP fights.
    Blood DK. I hate leveling alts.
    BfA is great. I love HoA.
    Unpopular opinions ftw.

What people is saying is true, many times on invites of the raid and people on calendar saying they are going, there's barely any ranged, there's more melee than ranged classes, and even healers for that matter.

And warlock is amazing for utility too, as in providing summons and all that. At guilds or just pugs.

Spriest is quite frequently good now. The thing is that if you don't like dot classes, you won't enjoy spriest or affli lock.

So if that's even the case, just go Hunter or Mage.

Play lock and enjoy the best raiding toolkit of the history of world of warcraft.

Frost Mage is pretty broken atm and has a three-four button rotation. Play them. Easy as hell. Stack shit of mastery, then crit and then haste
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    B o o m e r k i n!

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Hey. Thank you for the story.

All the people saying EP isn't melee friendly are high or something. Hell, most of the raids in this expansion have been melee friendly (but just as friendly to dot classes)

Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    All the people saying EP isn't melee friendly are high or something. Hell, most of the raids in this expansion have been melee friendly (but just as friendly to dot classes)
    Just what I was thinking. I have seen plenty of rogues, demon hunters and warriors doing very well on the meters. People really don't raid mythic here I think. One thing I love about melee is that you can move out of stuff while dpsing the boss on a lot of fights. While as a caster you have to stop casting most of the times.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Lock, mage and rogue. Hunter and DH are also pretty safe. If we're only talking alts, lock + rogue is the objectively best pair for any DPS main, because on any fight your main sucks on, at least 1 of those is going to be great. That said, if you just want CE don't worry about alts. Pick a main and get good at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    They're "fine" for melee, but (specific) ranged are better.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2019-11-19 at 10:02 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Bonus reason for going rogue, you can get into m+ super easy since you're a fotm class there too
    More like Flavor of the Expansion/Year for M+.

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Just what I was thinking. I have seen plenty of rogues, demon hunters and warriors doing very well on the meters. People really don't raid mythic here I think. One thing I love about melee is that you can move out of stuff while dpsing the boss on a lot of fights. While as a caster you have to stop casting most of the times.
    Its not that melee is bad damage wise. Its that a raid group that is all ranged dps will not have any issues having all ranged dps but a raid group that has more than 3-4 melee will end up running into issues with mechanics that require some spreading out. So if you are trying for CE you will have a much much easier time as ranged.

Shadow priest is by far nr1 atm they are getting some nerfs in 8.3 though. Unless you find a guild with a melee spot go ranged warlock mage for dps or boomy always usefull and decent dps. Both lock and boomy are getting small changes small small nerf. Mage is a safe bet frost is getting buffed