Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    From anecdotal evidence I would agree. Yep..I see more DHs than monks (or a few other classes).

But like I said...it was just something I pulled up with the first search...could be misleading / wrong. I definitely like my DH more than my Monk or DK....hell..even more than my mage.
    I think, and this is just my anecdotal evidence(and partly by Warcraftlogs) that vengeance is bringing DH down. Havoc is the spec with most parses in EP on warcraftlogs, and I think that not having a third spec makes the competition to be the most popular class a lot harder. And that it came in 2016. Same reason why Allied races are behind, even though Void Elves are the 4th most played race on alliance side(think if they were made alongside Belves in TBC), people love their character/class/race they made so long ago.

They failed to mention that its also the biggest loss of subscriptions in a 1/4 in history as a big portion of the people that subbed to play classic also left after that month was up.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Ah, I think I should have been clearer as well: They didn't have an exclusive panel for Classic at Blizzcon, despite the fact that it is their hottest current property. And it has a bunch of giant question marks for the future around it, and having a dedicated discussion even if they don't have the answers yet would have been a good idea. Offhanded remarks about the possibility of TBC or WotLK servers isn't quite what I'm talking about. Also, I don't recall anything about them categorically denying the possibility og Classic+.
    Serious question here; why would they have a panel on it at all?

Classic is a legacy game. The only game that's part of the legacy team that they had any announcement on at all was Heroes of the Storm. A game which they are basically doing a long sunset on as they put out various characters that the team has probably been working on for months while it winds down.

They didn't have a Starcraft announcement, a Diablo 3 announcement or even a WC3 Reforged announcement.

The purpose of Blizzcon is to say what's new and coming up. There's literally nothing new for Classic so why would they take valuable time to mention it more than in passing?

To be honest though I don't get either the idea that Retail and Classic are in competition with each other somehow or the fetishistic view that Classic is somehow enormously bigger than Retail or saving Retail.

As long as a single fee gets you access to both versions of the game they aren't in any form of competition. Doubly so given that Blizz no longer even looks or reports on subscribers but instead uses the MAU metric to report on overall company health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeesh, their MAU trend isn't looking good. Numbers are at the bottom of https://investor.activision.com/news...2019-financial

Blizzard has gone from 37 million MAU in September 2018 to 33 million in September 2019. Total MAU for ATVI has gone from 345 million to 316 million in that same time period. A 20% drop for Blizzard games and a 10% drop for ATVI, and I'm expecting the new restrictions on gaming for minors in China to bite into that even further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    well, I would be one of those players. Classic wasn't for me so I switched to BfA, got my flying and now the anniversary mount. And thus I canceled my sub, because there's nothing I would like to do anymore in BfA, as I don't enjoy the game anymore than at the launch of Beta for Azeroth. Getting to see (and much, MUCH worse: to HEAR) Sylvanas in the new expansion is not very promising as well.
    I recon there will be a massive drop in subscriber numbers in Q1 2020, because i can imagine that there are more people like me.
    Would this be called the fallacy of narcissus?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    ATVI was down 3.21% today on the earnings call....ouch
    Because a short term downward trend always points to a bad longterm future, right?

Cynicism aside, the recent kerfuffle in Hong Kong likely drove the dive. Between the 6th and the 7th, ATVI's volume doubled. That is probably because people sold like mad, though there are other potential factors. Overall, though, ATVI has been trending up. Expect a recovery in the next business day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Yeah, bfa cost more to make, but still made them a shitton more profit then classic.
    Making more money in total doesn't necessarily means it's more profitable.
    If classic covered its development costs multiple times over compared to Retail, Blizzard will pay attention to that.

That aside, you have literally no numbers to go on, you are just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by pltr View Post
    I don't know what's going on in your head, but just to remind you: I replied to your statement about classic players that resubscribed just for classic, not every single classic player. You're literally spewing some incoherent nonsense now. If someone enjoys both versions of the game why weren't they subscribed to it before then?

And talking about reactions - you're the one throwing hissy fits here, not me. I wouldn't even be making any posts here if it wasn't for your ridiculous claim that all returning players will surely be playing retail now because .... I don't know why you're thinking that. Some reasons.
    I never said all players? Fuck dude, you keep talking about nonsense but nothing you're saying is remotely consistent. What I have said and what I will continue to say is that there is a probability that some players who came back to play Classic will end up playing retail instead. Unlike you, not everybody quit retail because they feel personally violated by it. If even a small portion of those who came back for Classic are converted into retail players that's a net benefit for Blizzard. And since the allure of Classic is finite, it stands to reason that once Classic enters what is essentially the equivalent of maintenance mode that retail will have to pick up this slack.

My suggestion would be to keep playing WoW with your friends who hate retail so much the mere thought of somebody converting from Classic to retail gives you this much internal turmoil.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by pltr View Post
    I don't even know who posts here and what. I barely read mmoc nowadays. I do know myself and why I resubscribed just for classic and I know many other people who did and why very few of us are actually interested in retail wow. There's a bloody reason why I haven't played it for years, don't you think? If I were interested in playing retail wow I would've played it without classic.
    You are missing the point. If you are already subscribed and you don't like retail then that's fine. Blizzard just released anniversary content. As someone who use to play retail you might feel like checking it. It's ok if you don't but many will. Some people might even stay for a bit. Blizzard already has your money and many people will try it. Just not the people who think that Blizzard killed their mother by improving the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Yeah, nostalgia is powerful, but it dies sooner or later. Classic servers are emptier day by day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Too bad we got no new playable class which doesn't bode well for Q1 in 2020's numbers.
    This doesn't make any sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    Remember, it was obvious Classic would result in a massive influx on players--there was no question there. The answers we haven't got that I am interested in are:

- How is Classic doing now (servers are becoming lower pops)?
    - How it Retail doing now (servers are becoming higher pops, but leveled out and haven't changed for a few weeks now)?
    - Obviously tons of players tried Classic and ended up on Retail. Similarly, plenty of Retail players went to Classic. How many of those first-classic players are not playing anymore and how many players from Classic ended up staying on retail and those who went to classic, how many went back to retail?
    They said that WoW subs are still growing some regions.
    So the hype isnt over. I just started a week ago and am loving it!

Lvl 23 paladin currently :]

"you think you do but you don't"

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    Classic had no initial price unlike the normal expansions, it would be insane if it did not had increased the subs in that way.
    It's an interesting point, and this is not to be negative for classic, but what if classic had cost 40 euros + subs, would it have an influence on how many that started to play classic?

aww what a shame MAUs are dropping lower and lower

maybe i dont know maybe start making games that dont force every activity on player to boost MAU.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Making more money in total doesn't necessarily means it's more profitable.
    If classic covered its development costs multiple times over compared to Retail, Blizzard will pay attention to that.

That aside, you have literally no numbers to go on, you are just guessing.
    I know how many copies bfa sold up til the first day, 3.4 mill, i know the cost per copy for standard edition, i do not know how many of those 3.4 mill was deluxe editions, which cost more, so my initial math was based on 3.4 mill standard editions. 3400000*€44.99=€152966000, again, thats not counting digital deluxe or collectors edition, so thats a bare minimum of 1.52M euro. Everyone of those is a sub, so thats an additional 30-45 m. Now i don't know how many was sold in asia which have a lower sub fee, but i also do not know how many used a token to pay for their sub. So thats double income per sub. But say 40 ish. We know the avarage cost of the highest developing tripple a games which is about 100-150 million. But thats over 700 workers, new engines etc. This is a expansion, not a new game. Much of the shit is already done. Control, the game that was released not long ago cost around 20-30million to develope and i am willing to bet bfa did not cost much more than that. Remedy which created control had over 200 people working on it.

So, yeah, there is some guesswork in here, but it pretty much points towards what i am saying, That selling a expansion will always be more profitable for blizzard then releasing a old version which only has subs as a income. No shop, no tokens, no services like char transfer etc.

my original point was that for classic to pull in as much revenue, not profits, as retail. They would need like 15 million subs, and we both know they wherent remotely close to that, or we would have known by now

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Relevant where? It was pretty much dead on Twitch and there's more negative reception for new expacs than I've ever seen. Classic reached record numbers for a lot of things and is booming in comparison, it brought back many memorable/famous players.
    lol if you think wow is death on Twith you must be a troll, and looking at your post you are that.
    The expansion have only bad resection where??? on MMOchamp forums, they been a hate pool for trolls and haters since WoD. But if you see Reddit and Wowhead they like the new expansion.

I know how many copies bfa sold up til the first day, 3.4 mill, i know the cost per copy for standard edition, i do not know how many of those 3.4 mill was deluxe editions, which cost more, so my initial math was based on 3.4 mill standard editions. 3400000*€44.99=€152966000, again, thats not counting digital deluxe or collectors edition, so thats a bare minimum of 1.52M euro. Everyone of those is a sub, so thats an additional 30-45 m. Now i don't know how many was sold in asia which have a lower sub fee, but i also do not know how many used a token to pay for their sub. So thats double income per sub. But say 40 ish. We know the avarage cost of the highest developing tripple a games which is about 100-150 million. But thats over 700 workers, new engines etc. This is a expansion, not a new game. Much of the shit is already done. Control, the game that was released not long ago cost around 20-30million to develope and i am willing to bet bfa did not cost much more than that. Remedy which created control had over 200 people working on it.

So, yeah, there is some guesswork in here, but it pretty much points towards what i am saying, That selling a expansion will always be more profitable for blizzard then releasing a old version which only has subs as a income. No shop, no tokens, no services like char transfer etc.

my original point was that for classic to pull in as much revenue, not profits, as retail. They would need like 15 million subs, and we both know they wherent remotely close to that, or we would have known by now
    Classic is keep the sub numbers up. since Sub for classic is the same as sub for retail, so what blizzard doing a genius. Really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    So it DOES seem like classic saves wow. Kinda sad that a 15 year old version is better than the current, but at least World of Warcraft is playable again.
    lol yeah right??? Endless grind is better that -.- good lord

I know how many copies bfa sold up til the first day, 3.4 mill, i know the cost per copy for standard edition, i do not know how many of those 3.4 mill was deluxe editions, which cost more, so my initial math was based on 3.4 mill standard editions. 3400000*€44.99=€152966000, again, thats not counting digital deluxe or collectors edition, so thats a bare minimum of 1.52M euro.
    You do realize that prices can vary due to currency?
    Someone who's living in a 3rd world country would seriously struggle to buy something that costs 45€.

It's not like Blizzard turns that money down, product already made, might as well sell for a price for which people can buy it.

Control, the game that was released not long ago cost around 20-30million to develope and i am willing to bet bfa did not cost much more than that. Remedy which created control had over 200 people working on it.
    Random guess: The company that made Control doesn't pay as good as Blizzard.
    And wages are the biggest slice of the piece when it comes to developing software.

Simply saying Company A made Product X for Z, then correlating this to Company B made Product Y for roughly Z is utter nonsense.

Sorry, but even toying around with numbers is just pure BS because you are building guesswork upon guesswork.

10+ Year Old Account
    "wow is dead and classic will fail" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    It's an interesting point, and this is not to be negative for classic, but what if classic had cost 40 euros + subs, would it have an influence on how many that started to play classic?
    There's no world where Blizzard would have got away with recharging for Classic unless they decoupled it from the subscription service. It's an amusing what-if but the reason it didn't happen is plainly obvious.

(Two or three months of subscription time outweigh the cost of an expansion. Charging for expansions is just the cherry on top for Blizzard. Why do you think BfA was on sale for more than half off mere months after release?)