Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I'm fine with this, what's their incentive to keep production up on the game via seasons if no ones even paying them? It's not like there's a monthly sub like some other game I know...

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Are you honestly, with a straight face, going to tell me this comes as a surprise?.
    Just because I'm not surprised doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

  3. #43
    They clearly said it was just cosmetic.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    There's a difference between a free-to-play game with MTX (Path of Exile, League of Legends, Dota 2) and paid AAA games double dipping into it. Even triple dipping if you consider WoW (Box sale, subscription, in-game shop).
    Using your example of WoW, they have not increased the subscription cost in its history despite the value of $15 in 2004 being $20 and some change today. There are also less players while I would think production costs have increased which is where the cash shop off sets things.

    For D4 it depends what they do post release to see if the cash shop is justified imo. If they use it to fund additional development outside of expansions great. If they just do it to try and milk the product, then that isn't as consumer friendly obviously.

  5. #45
    They did say they won't be selling "power". Idc if someone buys some stupid wings for 20 bucks. I'll know where they came from

  6. #46
    Banned Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    13,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    Using your example of WoW, they have not increased the subscription cost in its history despite the value of $15 in 2004 being $20 and some change today. There are also less players while I would think production costs have increased which is where the cash shop off sets things.

    For D4 it depends what they do post release to see if the cash shop is justified imo. If they use it to fund additional development outside of expansions great. If they just do it to try and milk the product, then that isn't as consumer friendly obviously.
    They have increased sub cost in the eu and on top of that, server cost is exponentially lower than it used to be. This is just greed again

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Doesn't the chinese D3 have mtx which is just like wings, pets and portrait frames? Proly be the same here. Need something to generate money to further development.
    For decades selling the game alone did that, and it certainly still can. Just look at the many, many solid games without MTX that generate sequels.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I dont think people realize a big part of the problem is most of these arent micro anymore.

    - - - Updated - - -



    God of war
    exclusives dont rly count, because the makers of the games, make their money by selling consoles

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    For decades selling the game alone did that, and it certainly still can. Just look at the many, many solid games without MTX that generate sequels.
    I mean, that is fair, but thats not the world we live in with Blizzard in 2019.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  10. #50
    Banned Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    13,894
    Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    exclusives dont rly count, because the makers of the games, make their money by selling consoles
    Im not gonna fall for goalpost moving

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I mean, that is fair, but thats not the world we live in with Blizzard in 2019.
    Your argument boils down to a multi-billion dollar company making record profits cant even sustain its own products. Why you guys make excuses for them, ill never understand

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    PoE has tons of microtransactions. I don't see a problem with having some cosmetic mictrotransactions in this type of game. It incentives blizzard to continue to support the game. Otherwise they abandon it like they did with d3
    Path of Exile is a FREE-TO-PLAY game. That's its entire monetization. Diablo 3 sold 30 million copies, and Diablo 4 will probably sell around the same number... no reason to double dip on it.

    Stop being stubborn.

  12. #52
    If Blizzard can't make money on D4 with out doing bullshit microtransactions then they shouldn't be making games. With out them it will make so much money but i guess it's not all the money in the world so fuck it.

  13. #53
    "This honestly bums me out more than I thought it would. Just, like...why? Why does all the best looking shit in every game now come with a price tag?"

    Because people are willing to pay for it.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    Using your example of WoW, they have not increased the subscription cost in its history despite the value of $15 in 2004 being $20 and some change today.
    They didn't raise the subscription, but they raised the expansion box price. And actually gain more per sub via tokens. Token subs get them 20€ instead of 13€.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklurker View Post
    "Just cosmetics" doesn't fly with me. Many of us work as hard or harder on cool cosmetics than on character progression. It's content, just like anything else. Content that could enrich the gameplay loop but is instead carved out.
    Yes, it's very early, but also disheartening to have microtransactions associated to the game.
    I am happy that there are some cool mtx. I like wings in D3, what I don't like is farming goblins for 2 weeks to get some wings.

  16. #56
    Hmm. Wow has expansion costs, recurring subs, and mtx.

    Why all the fake hate all of a sudden by all the people in this thread whining about mtx? It is the standard business model these days. Get over it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Path of Exile is a FREE-TO-PLAY game. That's its entire monetization. Diablo 3 sold 30 million copies, and Diablo 4 will probably sell around the same number... no reason to double dip on it.

    Stop being stubborn.
    No reason if you are stupid at running companies. Thats like saying a gas station should only sell gas, and they should eliminate sodas, chips, beer, etc.

  17. #57
    I'll play it because I could give 2 shits about MTX for cosmetics. They don't change the play of the game, or the way I play. I'll still get the gear I would have originally. They've been in WoW, and guess what, I don't buy those either. It doesn't change my gameplay and there's still plenty of cool looking gear in the game that I can grind for.

    It's only when it's a game breaking MTX that provides advantages that I care if they exist or not. As long as it's not a RMAH again, it's fine.
    || Intel i9-9900K at 5.1 all core || Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2080 Super Waterforce || Gigabyte AORUS RGB 16GB 3200Mhz RAM || Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master || Gigabyte AORUS 360mm AIO || Gigabyte AORUS GC-WBAX200 PCIe Wifi 6 adapter || Gigabyte AORUS C300 Glass ||

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    I am happy that there are some cool mtx. I like wings in D3, what I don't like is farming goblins for 2 weeks to get some wings.
    makes you wonder why they make the grind take that long eh?

  19. #59
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    18,463
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    "It's an opportunity to have more options available"

    How about you just put all of the options in the fucking game?
    What? Selling a complete product that includes tons of fun extras for players to earn as they play?

    What year is this, 2009?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    makes you wonder why they make the grind take that long eh?
    Because RNG is RNG...?
    || Intel i9-9900K at 5.1 all core || Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2080 Super Waterforce || Gigabyte AORUS RGB 16GB 3200Mhz RAM || Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master || Gigabyte AORUS 360mm AIO || Gigabyte AORUS GC-WBAX200 PCIe Wifi 6 adapter || Gigabyte AORUS C300 Glass ||

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •