Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Imagine if the different human ethnicities would have different kingdoms like the fantasy races... say trolls.

No imagine a war. The white/black/asian kingdom gets annihilated. Why them? Why not the others? Fantasy races are easy to handle because NO ONE on earth really can identify with them. The moment you use real humans it gets more complicated because someone actually identifies with each of them.

The only way around that is to say, they are all from the same place. Some went away and made their own little kingdoms but the core of humanity is in Stormwind, Arathi, Kul Tiras and Lordaeron. Which are essentially the same. So the can mix everything up. This is not a lore question and never will be, because they can't do that. Not because auf lore but because of gameplay.

It is like walking on quick sand for Blizzard.

Ergo: Meltingpot! Done. Never adressed again. There will never be an explanation.

And before someone starts: No i am not whining about some SJW or anything some people in this forum get a hate boner for. This is simple human behavior. Look at how players react if their fantasy race gets mistreated. Now imagine that with their ACTUAL ethnicity!
    And again we have every right to complain about that because this is a story/lore retcon - you want to introduce asians to wow - fine but where are they from. Countrary to what you think there is no such thing as a "melting" pot forever. After a while the traits that different people represent will merge due to interbreeding and there will be no melting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    Alot of people say tel abim, but i always head cannoned that since it is where bananas come from, and is close to islands where goblins are, that it would be controled by goblins who have plantations with slave labor.. with other races too. maybe another monkey race. But that was just my head cannon
    Slaves [✓]
    Bananas [✓]
    Monkey race [✓]

If this thread isn't intended to be literally the worst kind of dogwhistling, you're doing a great job of doing it by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    They're just azeroth humans that look different.
    It is seriously this simple but people refuse to believe that and need to make a big stink.

Clearly they come from a place on the other side of Azeroth which we havent visited yet, see now you can play the game again and not loose sleep becouse someone might have a character which is black or asian in the future.

I don't care about the diversity, we won't see the same human face everywhere and I'm glad about it.

Plus, if they would have added only different skin color it'd have ended up as " why there are black people but no asian ? " and it'll have infuriated some SJW

Quote Originally Posted by Cobman View Post
    Who gives a shit from they come from? They are devolved Vrykul. You think of them as real people and thats why your view is flawed in general. Azeroths humans has origin story related to titan constructs. Therefore their evolution can be different.
    Fair enough but still doesnt make sense - their population would just merge with other humans over time. or vice versa. It is really irritating that people constantly allow Blizzard to make lore changes without any justification for it. They could at least try to explain it (oh there is this human continent shrouded by the mist where some of the humans migrated early on xD).

I love the mental gymnastics people go through trying to apply IRL genetic based evolution/natural selection with largely ad hoc 'lore'. As far as 'lore' is concerned genes don't exist in the Warcraft universe so how we get variation (with the exception of fel/void/arcane corruption) is entirely unexplained.

Stop misusing the word "evolve" as if how it is used in-universe bares any relation to the IRL process of evolution. There was no 'evolution' as in certain genetic features selected as a result of providing a benefit to survival.

Humans originate from what are essentially solid metal robots, created by interstellar planet souls, that were corrupted by fleshy creatures the size of mountains borne of shadow MAGIC. They didn't 'evolve'. Even the Vrykul/titanforged have different colours by the way, gold, silver, bronze etc, you could even say the curse of flesh isn't consistent in its outcomes (which it isn't) and so diverse populations were created.

I really don't understand why people even care, other than passive lingering prejudices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slau View Post
    Fair enough but still doesnt make sense - their population would just merge with other humans over time. or vice versa. It is really irritating that people constantly allow Blizzard to make lore changes without any justification for it. They could at least try to explain it (oh there is this human continent shrouded by the mist where some of the humans migrated early on xD).
    Blizz has been making retcons forever. It takes a special kind of pedantry, and probably latent bigotry, to be up in arms over human skin colours/features.

10+ Year Old Account
    They lived in Pandaria for generations ?
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

The question is where did they settle to look like that - there is no place currently where they could hail from.
    I honestly don't care to justify it, but I'll go ahead and give it a few seconds of thought anyway...

There are a lot of unknown peoples from the various lands in the South Sea. Over the years, many of them joined pirate crews to sail the world. They eventually tired of sailing, so they looked for another line of work. While stopping in Kalimdor, the crew members jump ship and join the Wastewander nomads, who reside in Tanaris and Uldum. The Wastewanders join the fight against N'zoth (they're going to be part of the Uldum Accord), some of them are inspired by the other humans who are fighting against N'zoth, and they ask to join their army.

Boom. Sure, it's a dumb story. Sure, anyone can probably make a better explanation. At the very least, this move would (lorewise) give the Alliance more new bodies than the Void Elves did.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp1on2 View Post
    I love the mental gymnastics people go through trying to apply IRL genetic based evolution/natural selection with largely ad hoc 'lore'. As far as 'lore' is concerned genes don't exist in the Warcraft universe so how we get variation (with the exception of fel/void/arcane corruption) is entirely unexplained.

Stop misusing the word "evolve" as if how it is used in-universe bares any relation to the IRL process of evolution. There was no 'evolution' as in certain genetic features selected as a result of providing a benefit to survival.

Humans originate from what are essentially solid metal robots, created by interstellar planet souls, that were corrupted by fleshy creatures the size of mountains borne of shadow MAGIC. They didn't 'evolve'. Even the Vrykul/titanforged have different colours by the way, gold, silver, bronze etc, you could even say the curse of flesh isn't consistent in its outcomes (which it isn't) and so diverse populations were created.

I really don't understand why people even care, other than passive lingering prejudices.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizz has been making retcons forever. It takes a special kind of pedantry, and probably latent bigotry, to be up in arms over human skin colours/features.
    Yeah because i care about the lore not being retconned - yeah i know it is a lost cause with blizzard at this point. It also appareantly makes me a prejudiced person even though i have nothing against black or asian humans in wow sigh. The point you dont get is lore justification - the excuse this is fantasy so everything goes is so bland i cant even care anymore. But then again people on this forum give blizzard free pass over transcedental demons and bringing back every dead character whenever the story requires him to appear so yeah. I guess by comparison asians in wow dont look so bad... See you when i fish up my transcedental Kiljaeden.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah now i am a bigot. Just for your information yes i am a pedantic person. I fail to see how that makes me a bigot.

Just a note to you i am a type of person that complains about Targaryens not having purple eyes in GoT tv series. Why? because appaereantly i am bigoted against not violet pupils sigh.
    Last edited by Slau; 2019-11-09 at 10:01 AM.

Yeah because i care about the lore not being retconned - yeah i know it is a lost cause with blizzard at this point. It also appareantly makes me a prejudiced person even though i have nothing against black or asian humans in wow sigh. The point you dont get is lore justification - the excuse this is fantasy so everything goes is so bland i cant even care anymore. But then again people on this forum give blizzard free pass over transcedental demons and bringing back every dead character whenever the story requires him to appear so yeah. I guess by comparison asians in wow dont look so bad... See you when i fish up my transcedental Kiljaeden.
    What lore? Please direct me to where it says all humans from <insert human kingdom> are white/fair skinned?

It does make you somewhat prejudiced that you have some visceral objection to different ethnicities being represented in a fantasy setting for no other reason than you don't like them. There is absolutely zero lore reason that they can't exist, but here you are arguing that they shouldn't unless they pass some arbitrary standard that you deem acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    China. Case closed.

Just a note to you i am a type of person that complains about Targaryens not having purple eyes in GoT tv series. Why? because appaereantly i am bigoted against not violet pupils sigh.
    You may be a pedant, but you are a inconsistent one, that seems to only apply your pedantry against black and asian ethnicities. (SOME) Targaryens are explicitly stated as having purple eyes, please tell me where humans are stated as only being white. I'll wait.

And again we have every right to complain about that because this is a story/lore retcon - you want to introduce asians to wow - fine but where are they from. Countrary to what you think there is no such thing as a "melting" pot forever. After a while the traits that different people represent will merge due to interbreeding and there will be no melting pot.
    We already know a proportion of Stormwind humans randomly have black features and have never lost them to interbreeding- why is it a stretch to say the same thing about Asian features? Human genetics have never "made sense" in wow and the only logical lore-based conclusion is that WoW human genetics must be very different from ours, probably on account of being descended from robots rather than primates.
    Last edited by Tharivor; 2019-11-09 at 10:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if they'll change the human NPCs in the world to be of random skin color as well.

Can't wait for some jackass on the net to complain that he has to farm black people in a certain area for cloth or whatever.
    Likewise if they don't change them, i can see idiots complaining about diversity.

Hard to win in today's society.

You may be a pedant, but you are a inconsistent one, that seems to only apply your pedantry against black and asian ethnicities. (SOME) Targaryens are explicitly stated as having purple eyes, please tell me where humans are stated as only being white. I'll wait.
    This, really. I hate this thread. The whole thing is just an excuse for people to spout their weird bigotry and/or eugenics-adjacent theories under the cover of 'just asking questions to see how it fits in to the lore'.

Awful.

Aren't the eyes just an evolutionary thing related to the enviorment people live in?

Why the heck are people looking for "Chinese-Asia" in WoW when it's related to mountains/weather/dust/light.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-11-09 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Aren't the eyes just an evolutionary thing related to the enviorment people live in?

Why the heck are people looking for "asia" in WoW when it's related to mountains/weather/dust/light.
    Because white people are in WoW and nobody ever requires a justification for it.

Humans in WoW are obviously supposed to be representations of humans IRL. It's a very old game, it makes sense for it to actually be representative in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Hard to win in today's society.
    It's not 'hard to win' at all. Not being a fucking bigot shouldn't be a chore. If it is, you've got a problem.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2019-11-09 at 10:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread brought to you be the person who posted this gem...

"No "white" in your name? but my name had it in it :/"

I think I can hear someone whistling.

Nuff said...
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    But the more likely answer is that we should just accept the new customization options and not, I repeat, NOT think too much about it.
    This ^
    One think i learned about wow is just enjoy what they give you, otherwise nothing makes much sens