Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    A few WQs aren't going to kill you.

  2. #62
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    118
    Its a reason for people to do older content.
    Want allied races? go can for the content.
    Want t6 gear? go back to black temple
    Want a nether drake mount? Go back to Shadowmoon Valley
    Want a whatever? It is a recent to go back to that part of the game and play it. |

    WoW's game design is based about keeping people playing, if they started just giving away stuff from older grinds than no one would ever go back and do the older stuff.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardourdan View Post
    Have Blizzard hinted at whether the new races will be unlocked in Shadowlands for all players? Or will there be long laborious quest chains and rep grinds long term?
    You dont get a reward without doing the work first.

  4. #64
    The Lightbringer Eugenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In your backyard
    Posts
    3,991
    the fact that you still have to do legion content to unlock bfa content is fucked up
    Let's look at the test results. You are a horrible person. It says right here, you're a horrible person. We weren't even testing that. Don't let the horrible person thing get you down though. Science justified your parents choice to abandon you.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Imagine comparing multiple playable races to a single mount from a rep farm.
    He used it as an example. And you're being disingenuous saying "multiple playable races vs single mount farm", considering all allied races unlock the exact same way: get rep, get achievement, complete scenario.

    Not only that - it was a different type of rep farm. One of the first unique ones in the game.
    ... What? "Different type of rep farm"? "Unique"? It's the same kind of "rep farm" that has been in the game since day 1: "complete quests -> get rep". There's absolutely nothing "unique" about them.

    Fuck me the fanboys really are reaching.
    And now you resort to insults. Couldn't stay civil and discuss like a mature person, could you?
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

  6. #66
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,076
    if you want something in WoW you have to put effort into it. really, won't take a new player long to get there because a) they will be doing BfA anyway through the levelling process and b) the world quests are likely to be boosted when it comes to rep, just like they did for Legion. further on down the line, when we get BfA timewalking you'll be able to buy rep tokens using badges and will get to the requirement in no time.

  7. #67
    allied races are a new feature from bfa. they are separate from traditional races because it takes effort to unlock them.

  8. #68
    I never had to unlock an allied race because by playing the game I meet the requirements before they are introduced.

    But there are things I wanted that required various reps, quest lines, secret chains or achievements, such as the "Captain" title from WoD, the Lucid Nightmare from Legion, the rainbow toy, the crab mount from Nazjatar or the farmers tools from the garrison... Instead of crying on the forums I do the things.

    DH and DK were also advertised as expansion features but you have to have a character of certain level to unlock them first.

    I understand complaining of class or systems design, but crying that to get things you have to play the game is just sad.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    It also sucks -- hard -- if you end up having to reroll. I'm going to be switching to EU servers after having been on Chinese servers from the start. Since I cannot move the account, that means a reroll. While RAF offers a bit of relief for XP, I'm screwed on collections, flight, and now Allied Races. *Not* a fun prospect.
    Right, the whole game should be tailored for 1 in 1,000,000 players who decide to switch regions while playing. Again, should you wish to ride a Netherwing Drake on that new Chinese server - you would have to regrind the reputation too.

    Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    Not an insult, but what is wrong with some of you?
    Being conditioned to accept a new race being the "reward" at the end of a grind?

    NO. WAKE UP PEOPLE. I accept grinding, make everything in wow 100 times slower I don't care. But why the journey of the character I like to grind with be a reward for a grind of some other characters? Seriously guys, come on. Have Mercy On New Players. What is going on here?!
    It's not we that are "conditioned" to do something. It's you who is conditioned to believe that something should have no requirements just because it is a race.

    Again, you could ask the same about any mount that isn't available on a vendor. Why are you forced to ride a gryphon bought in stormwind for half a year, if what you want to ride is Invincible? How preposterous that you are actually required to clear ICC to get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I understand complaining of class or systems design, but crying that to get things you have to play the game is just sad.
    This guy gets it
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-03-24 at 10:45 AM.

  10. #70
    I am Murloc! Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,951
    Probably never. In regards to Blizzard's replies on the matter I got the picture they see Allied races as rewards. Like garment.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

  11. #71
    I was 100% certain they would make the "Legion" allied races available to everyone with BfA or at least the first content patch of BfA.

    I was wrong, so I don't assume they will change their stance anytime soon.

    It's much less an issue for people playing anyway, the vast majority of players will have unlocked the races just by playing the game.

    But if a player wanted to return because he would like to play a Vulpera for example, but then learns that he has to level (or boost) another char first, do dailies for over a month and then spend money or reset the whole progression by leveling a new char is just plain silly and will drive those players quickly away.

  12. #72
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    But if a player wanted to return because he would like to play a Vulpera for example, but then learns that he has to level (or boost) another char first, do dailies for over a month and then spend money or reset the whole progression by leveling a new char is just plain silly and will drive those players quickly away.
    So less 'now now now me me me' entitled people running around? That's fine by me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Probably never. In regards to Blizzard's replies on the matter I got the picture they see Allied races as rewards. Like garment.
    They have stated that they think of allied races as a prestige thing, that when you see a person on a void elf in their heritage armor, you know that person put in the work to have that.

    And Blizz has increasingly prioritized prestige in recent expansions, removing things like mage tower artifact appearances, seasonal PvP mounts, etc. So it seems highly unlikely that they would start handing out stuff that they consider to be prestigious.

    I personally wouldn't care if they gave the original 4 Legion allied races to everyone, its been 2 years, but I don't think there's anything unreasonable about the requirements to unlock the others.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  13. #73
    I am Murloc! Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They have stated that they think of allied races as a prestige thing, that when you see a person on a void elf in their heritage armor, you know that person put in the work to have that.

    And Blizz has increasingly prioritized prestige in recent expansions, removing things like mage tower artifact appearances, seasonal PvP mounts, etc. So it seems highly unlikely that they would start handing out stuff that they consider to be prestigious.

    I personally wouldn't care if they gave the original 4 Legion allied races to everyone, its been 2 years, but I don't think there's anything unreasonable about the requirements to unlock the others.
    I don't really care myself, since I'm not big into alts. I'm just wondering the issue from a new player's perspective; they look at the playable races and feel they want to tackle the world as a proud Mag'har orc. Well, they can't, because there's some stuff in the way that would appear arbitrary af to them. A race is part of the story much more than a piece of fabric that has frizzle frazzle on it, so that's why I think it's silly for Allied races to be behind prestige gating permanently.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardourdan View Post
    Have Blizzard hinted at whether the new races will be unlocked in Shadowlands for all players? Or will there be long laborious quest chains and rep grinds long term?
    WoW is a very "You snooze you lose" game. These grinds are not really "Grinds" if you are actully active and doing things in the expansions & Patches that the race was introduced.

    If you tried to get Lightforged or Void elf Right now in patch 8.3, It would sure feel like an annoying grind, But if you just did daily argus stuff in legion, then those reps came pretty fast and naturally just from playing.

  15. #75
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    32,137
    I don't mind the rep grind disappearing but pre-quests, hopefully, they stay.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Well for a new/returning player it kinda sucks to level and grind on a character your not wanting to play just to unlock the one you do want to play.
    Entitlement is a scary disease. I'd be all on board with this argument for flying, but thats because it goes from buying at 60, to requiring an achievement at 100 it should be the other way around. However you just explained basically that playing video games sucks, and you continue to do it anyway.
    Last edited by VooDsXo; 2020-03-24 at 11:43 AM.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So less 'now now now me me me' entitled people running around? That's fine by me.
    I don't think this applies here. This would rather apply to people who are indeed currently playing and want to remove the effort.

    For new players it's completely different, and the new races are one of the few selling points BfA has in the first place.
    They could for example after unlocking your first allied race offer the option for a free race change to that race. This would keep the "exclusiveness" of the race and not drive away the returning people.

  18. #78
    You have a free character change, you log in at 20 and level up.

  19. #79
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,912
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    WoW is a very "You snooze you lose" game. These grinds are not really "Grinds" if you are actully active and doing things in the expansions & Patches that the race was introduced.

    If you tried to get Lightforged or Void elf Right now in patch 8.3, It would sure feel like an annoying grind, But if you just did daily argus stuff in legion, then those reps came pretty fast and naturally just from playing.
    This, exactly this. Every allied race I wanted to unlock, I had already met the requirements long before we got them. I was exalted with Rustbolt/finished Operation mechagon more than 5 months prior to 8.3. Just by playing normally.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I don't think this applies here. This would rather apply to people who are indeed currently playing and want to remove the effort.

    For new players it's completely different, and the new races are one of the few selling points BfA has in the first place.
    They could for example after unlocking your first allied race offer the option for a free race change to that race. This would keep the "exclusiveness" of the race and not drive away the returning people.
    I don't feel like the races have any sense of exclusiveness, as they are available to anyone that does some pretty basic stuff. Some of the most lovably newby, casual, silly, fishing-is-my-primary-activity people I know in WoW have unlocked the allied races.

    Regarding a free race change, that sounds nice but you need to consider that it disqualifies them from heritage armor.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  20. #80
    The Lightbringer Azerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    3,182
    Would have liked to play Vulpera but not to play anything horde to 120 and do all the stuffz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •