Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question The Jailer of what?

I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten a thread yet, but we have this new character, "The Jailer", who I originally thought was overseeing the weird chained figure behind Sylvanas but people seem to be saying is that figure...

Who are they jailing?

Every soul sent through them goes to "The Maw" where it's drained of energy. But consider...

Whose maw?

I think answering this is the key who figuring out exactly what Sylvanas stands to gain with this long term plan. Is "The Maw" literal, referring to the jaws of an even Bigger Bad that they're feeding?
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-11-11 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten a thread yet, but we have this new character, "The Jailer", who I originally thought was overseeing the weird chained shadow but people seem to be saying is that...

Who are they jailing?

Every soul sent through them goes to "The Maw" where it's drained of energy.

Whose maw?

I think answering this is the key who figuring out exactly what Sylvanas stands to gain with this long term plan.
    Whose maw? What do you mean? The Jailer is the lord of the Maw. The Maw is just another part of the Shadowlands, like the others mentioned. The issue is the Jailer found a way to tip the balance in his favor and is slowing taking over the rest of the Shadowlands.

The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten a thread yet, but we have this new character, "The Jailer", who I originally thought was overseeing the weird chained shadow but people seem to be saying is that...

Who are they jailing?

Every soul sent through them goes to "The Maw" where it's drained of energy.

Whose maw?

I think answering this is the key who figuring out exactly what Sylvanas stands to gain with this long term plan.
    1. Jailer of those deemed unworthy, those sent to the maw, bassicly hell.
    2. The maw, a place that consumes all souls, devouring them. No ones maw, just the maw.

The arbiter is as the Christians would say, Saint peter. Sitting at the pearly gates.
    The arbiter decides where you go, bastion if you are pure, to the fae if you are of nature. Necrolords if you are of the darkness and undeath, revendreth if you were a despiscible creature, but had some redeeming qualities.
    The maw is bassicly the 9 hells. The worst of the worst place to go, anyone going there bassicly gets slowly consumed until they are a husk, held there by the jailor.

Bastion and fae are heaven
    Necrolords are bassicly limbo
    Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-11-10 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Being racist is not wrong. It is a lifestyle that you don't approve of. Being racist isn't even illegal, and it never will be.
    LOOKA THIS BOI!

Being someone who greatly appreciates a subversion of expectations, when it's done right, I find myself hoping the Jailer isn't the bad guy. At least, not the real bad guy.

Sylvanas wants to free everybody from oblivion, yet she's working with the guy at the source of such a nightmare? Something's not quite right...

I hope he turns out to be King Yemma.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1. Jailer of those deemed unworthy, those sent to the maw, bassicly hell.
    2. The maw, a place that consumes all souls, devouring them. No ones maw, just the maw.

The arbiter is as the Christians would say, Saint peter. Sitting at the pearly gates.
    The arbiter decides where you go, bastion if you are pure, to the fae if you are of nature. Necrolords if you are of the darkness and undeath, revendreth if you were a despiscible creature, but had some redeeming qualities.
    The maw is bassicly the 9 hells. The worst of the worst place to go, anyone going there bassicly gets slowly consumed until they are a husk, held there by the jailor.

Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    Revendreth is Purgatory, except the inmates are running the asylum.

Idk, the jailors intentions seem very weird, who even says that hes trying to take over the shadowlands?
    he literally says in the overview "the jailor of the damned, a grim task which i have failed" = shouldnt this mean his intention wasnt to gain infinite powers by gathering souls and rather he fucked up
    next quote " the eternal veil screams, torn asunder by her" = kind of indicating he isnt happy with what sylanas has done?
    after that " within the realm of shadow, lies the darkest of terrors, which should never be set free " = he might not even be evil and the part where he fucked up is where someone of even greater terror and evil might be released from the maw, which was his task to keep them there
    and the last quote " death comes, and the end of evrything is just the beginning" = something big is getting set free right now by the maws disturbance or its going to enable the way for something really bad to act out

either way i dont see any indication where the jailor actually does something evil to gain power for himself to take over something(feels more like him and sylv are gaining powers to muster up a defense vs something coming our way), even the last scene might just be the jailor+sylvanas getting ready to fight something big even if blizzard tries to indicate its them coming at us, just setting up a typical blizzard plottwist

when you are the lord(keeper)/jailor of something evil, doesnt this make you inherently a "good" guy, who says he chose this role? hes probably just taken on this burden and is working with sylvanas to restore balance to his "land"(the maw)
    If sylvanas helps him out of self interest and gaining powers, or trying to save the world im not sure
    Last edited by Dreen; 2019-11-10 at 10:16 AM.

Well, OF COURSE there's a bigger evil behind it. That's how the NEXT expansion happens. Is anyone really surprised by that?

The Maw is obviously a power plant. Souls powering the lights, what them Fel Orcs were doing all along. They just wanted to read their scripts at night time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreen View Post
    Idk, the jailors intentions seem very weird, who even says that hes trying to take over the shadowlands?
    he literally says in the overview "the jailor of the damned, a grim task which i have failed" = shouldnt this mean his intention wasnt to gain infinite powers by gathering souls and rather he fucked up
    next quote " the eternal veil screams, torn asunder by her" = kind of indicating he isnt happy with what sylanas has done?
    after that " within the realm of shadow, lies the darkest of terrors, which should never be set free " = he might not even be evil and the part where he fucked up is where someone of even greater terror and evil might be released from the maw, which was his task to keep them there
    and the last quote " death comes, and the end of evrything is just the beginning" = something big is getting set free right now by the maws disturbance or its going to enable the way for something really bad to act out

either way i dont see any indication where the jailor actually does something evil to gain power for himself to take over something(feels more like him and sylv are gaining powers to muster up a defense vs something coming our way), even the last scene might just be the jailor+sylvanas getting ready to fight something big even if blizzard tries to indicate its them coming at us, just setting up a typical blizzard plottwist

when you are the lord(keeper)/jailor of something evil, doesnt this make you inherently a "good" guy, who says he chose this role? hes probably just taken on this burden and is working with sylvanas to restore balance to his "land"(the maw)
    If sylvanas helps him out of self interest and gaining powers, or trying to save the world im not sure
    The Jailer you're quoting here is Bolvar as the replacement Lich King, telling of his failure, and of what Sylvanas has done. The master of the Maw is something else entirely. As to what Sylvanas is playing at, I think that remains to be seen. I reckon Sylvanas is looking to end the oblivion she saw way back at the end of WotLK, but not in the way we expect, or in a way that is palatable to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    The Jailer you're quoting here is Bolvar as the replacement Lich King, telling of his failure, and of what Sylvanas has done. The master of the Maw is something else entirely. As to what Sylvanas is playing at, I think that remains to be seen. I reckon Sylvanas is looking to end the oblivion she saw way back at the end of WotLK, but not in the way we expect, or in a way that is palatable to all.
    wait its bolvar speaking? it doesnt sound like him at all, so i figured its the jailor of the maw, even what hes talking about, how could he possibly know how the shadowlands look like, about the denizens with their covenants etc, he never was in the shadowlands after all? nvm evrything i said then i guess if its really bolvar talking not the jailor himself
    https://youtu.be/mACssWZ80XQ?t=8 (bolvar voice, sounds 100% different imo, but its with LK flair so hard to tell, are there any voicelines post helm of domination removal?)

Edit: https://youtu.be/s4gBChg6AII?t=240
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInBVzBJuU4
    doesnt sound like the same person at all, to me its still the shadowy figure talking, by concept of what he says and what he actually sounds like
    the one in the overview has a ghostly resonance to it while bolvar doesnt have that at all
    Last edited by Dreen; 2019-11-10 at 10:36 AM.

wait its bolvar speaking? it doesnt sound like him at all, so i figured its the jailor of the maw, even what hes talking about, how could he possibly know how the shadowlands look like, about the denizens with their covenants etc, he never was in the shadowlands after all? nvm evrything i said then i guess if its really bolvar talking not the jailor himself
    https://youtu.be/mACssWZ80XQ?t=8 (bolvar voice, sounds 100% different imo, but its with LK flair so hard to tell, are there any voicelines post helm of domination removal?)

doesnt sound like the same person at all, to me its still the shadowy figure talking, by concept of what he says and what he actually sounds like
    the one in the overview has a ghostly resonance to it while bolvar doesnt have that at all
    I agree they messed up the voice, but contextually, it doesn't make much sense for the Jailer to speak of aiding the Covenants to restore balance to the Shadowlands, it has to be Bolvar.

Also, by wearing the helm, it is implied he was always in direct contact with the Shadowlands, which is why he knows what's been going on in there. It's patchy new lore, so don't try to make sense of what that means for Arthas or Ner'zhul retroactively...

Apart from the echo-ey effect they sound rather similar to me

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    Not really. All 4 normal realms are a mixture of heaven* and purgatory. In the demo we've already seen that souls arriving in Bastion are cleansed and slowly adapted as well, so it's save to assume to that the others do so too. Revendreth is just the place where the assholes go and their method of cleansing is just a bit of punishment before they are absorbed into the realms eco system.

The maw is actual hell through, well depending on what you expect of it I guess.

*as in general afterlife according to your disposition.
    Last edited by Haidaes; 2019-11-10 at 11:15 AM.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

Calling Bolvar the Jailer of the Damned and then having an actual Jailer of the Damned is some pretty bone-headed storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Calling Bolvar the Jailer of the Damned and then having an actual Jailer of the Damned is some pretty bone-headed storytelling.
    Bolvar is the jailer of the undead. The Jailer is the jailer of the dead.

Bolvar learned about the Shadowlands from the Helmet of Domination. Turns out it was stolen by the Legion from the Shadowlands. That's why breaking it broke the sky. It was created to hold the veil between life and death.

As for the voice, I don't know, I didn't do any gamma level comparisons or anything, it sounded like Bolvar to me alright. I.e. the burning undead Bolvar.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Johnson PI View Post
    Being someone who greatly appreciates a subversion of expectations, when it's done right, I find myself hoping the Jailer isn't the bad guy. At least, not the real bad guy.

Sylvanas wants to free everybody from oblivion, yet she's working with the guy at the source of such a nightmare? Something's not quite right...
    Where is it stated that Sylvanas wants to free everyone from oblivion (to which I assume you're talking about the Maw)? She said that Azeroth is a prison and then rips open a path to the Shadowlands, so it seems to me like she wants to get everyone out of Azeroth and into the Shadowlands, though Sylvanas' motivations aren't really the clearest (partially because her motivations seem to be skewed if not outright retconned every expansion).

Jailer of what?

The maw.

Who are they jailing?

The worst souls in existence, the ones who are a threat to the Shadowlands and balance of life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalontas View Post
    Bolvar learned about the Shadowlands from the Helmet of Domination. Turns out it was stolen by the Legion from the Shadowlands. That's why breaking it broke the sky. It was created to hold the veil between life and death.

As for the voice, I don't know, I didn't do any gamma level comparisons or anything, it sounded like Bolvar to me alright. I.e. the burning undead Bolvar.
    Kil'Jaeden really went out of his way to fuck with some nobody orc from Draenor...
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?