Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Complete isolation, so a nice place in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Honestly sounds like idealism.

Calmer - Perhaps, though my main issue with small towns is if you do not fit in, it is anything but clam and the smaller the town the more chatty the patty.
    If you do not fit in a small town, then you are the problem. I've lived in big cities and small towns, and the calmest has been the towns.

More accesable - Pardon me? How exactly?
    Well, not as much traffic, generally a short list of connection points with a stable setup.

Easier navigational - What?! Pardon me? How exactly? In the case of New York, how is a massive literal rectangle grid hard to navigate over a town?
    Yeah, uhm.. Not all cities are made like New York, which is already bad traffic wise, some are much worse. Two main roads and then off shoots.

Many times cheaper - often true for living and dying there, not true if you need to work away from the town in a city centre. The cost of travel and maintenance of that travel can negate any savings. At least that's the case for here, if you move to the smaller towns in Jersey but still work in the main employment hub the cost of travel is such that it is just cheaper to live near or in the employment hub.
    Again, this is where we collide, for in my country for longer travel, you are given money back for the traveling you do. It is still cheaper in the form of rent and transportation vs. big city + vehicle.

Few but more solid options of shopping - just what the fuck does this mean? Are you telling me cities don't have "solid options"? Whenever I go to a small town I find it a struggle to find what I am after as their few options aren't solid especially for a person who is just a little worldly. I'd have to travel to multiple small towns that are enclaves are specific ethnicities if I wanted to shop. My few months spent in a small town were ridiculous, there were no latin people I couldn't fucking cook proper meals! The ranges of spices were lacking, types of meat were lacking. It was just not working.
    I'm talking grocery and local market. Just experienced a more more solid option. Of course, if you're aiming for something specific, you have to go to the big city but at times, those stores can easily shut down due to being too expensive to run.

Usually better educational - Hm... the best schools in New York are actually in the city, in the 5 boroughs. Schools in the small towns end up being quite good, or alright, or meh... and you end up going private.
    Yeah.. This is the awkward part as you mention the US as location for your counter argument. In Denmark, the better handling schools are outside the big cities, and the bad schools are (sorry) still ranking higher than some of the better schools in the US. As a parent, I take notice that comparing the options, the ones I have nearby has more ranking and better integration than the bigger ones in the big cities who tends to be overrun.

The only town I would give any serious thought of moving to is Montclair, as it is a diverse town and is close to the city. There are about 38k people but frankly I don't know what that means.

I have lived in towns with 60k people that you probably would consider cities because it was very densely packed. Hudson county has a way of breaking up into a bunch of small towns.
    Coming from a small country with small kommunes or 'county', the one I live in now is about 42.500 citizens for this county. The biggest city I've lived in was 600.000+ people (Copenhagen), my birth place had 62.000 citizens.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Big city, more fun things to do and more jobs.

Maybe after I grow old or retired I will like small town more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If you do not fit in a small town, then you are the problem. I've lived in big cities and small towns, and the calmest has been the towns.

Well, not as much traffic, generally a short list of connection points with a stable setup.

Yeah, uhm.. Not all cities are made like New York, which is already bad traffic wise, some are much worse. Two main roads and then off shoots.

Again, this is where we collide, for in my country for longer travel, you are given money back for the traveling you do. It is still cheaper in the form of rent and transportation vs. big city + vehicle.

I'm talking grocery and local market. Just experienced a more more solid option. Of course, if you're aiming for something specific, you have to go to the big city but at times, those stores can easily shut down due to being too expensive to run.

Yeah.. This is the awkward part as you mention the US as location for your counter argument. In Denmark, the better handling schools are outside the big cities, and the bad schools are (sorry) still ranking higher than some of the better schools in the US. As a parent, I take notice that comparing the options, the ones I have nearby has more ranking and better integration than the bigger ones in the big cities who tends to be overrun.

Coming from a small country with small kommunes or 'county', the one I live in now is about 42.500 citizens for this county. The biggest city I've lived in was 600.000+ people (Copenhagen), my birth place had 62.000 citizens.
    Wait if you don't fit you "you're" the problem? I'm sorry but if I don't fit in as a gay person in a mostly christian small town you're telling me that's a me problem? I've experienced plenty of the being "that funny boy" that people talk about behind my back in small towns. Pardon me for existing?

New York actually has quite nice traffic considering.

For instance the city has over 2x the population of LA but is like half the size of LA yet LA has THE WORST traffic because they're very spread out requiring many more people to drive.

Personally to me many things I shop for are just so normal to me but I have always lived in a very multicultural area so it has never been an issue finding things others may considering exotic that aren't exotic at all to me. Unless I went to a small town that also happened to be an ethnic enclave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    Big city, more fun things to do and more jobs.

Maybe after I grow old or retired I will like small town more.

I would only ever like a town that's close to a city still. I've lived in large dense town where I was friendly with my neighbors, we shared food, we had bbqs and such and I honestly don't know why people think cities have no form of community.

I prefer anywhere from small towns up to small cities (~100k). Anything even approaching a metro area or a "suburb" of a big city where you can't tell where the "city" ends and the "suburb" begins is a non-starter.

I prefer material goods over other paid experiences. Big house, big yard, cheap living, open roads, no traffic, etc. I also prefer the true sense of community that exists in smaller places. The point where you start getting entire areas of poor people, bad neighborhoods, etc, is the point at which community breaks down.

Wait if you don't fit you "you're" the problem? I'm sorry but if I don't fit in as a gay person in a mostly christian small town you're telling me that's a me problem? I've experienced plenty of the being "that funny boy" that people talk about behind my back in small towns. Pardon me for existing?
    Yes, if you don't like the values people have in their own community, move to somewhere where you do fit in, or where "community" evaporates and it becomes an amalgamation of cultures instead.

I would only ever like a town that's close to a city still. I've lived in large dense town where I was friendly with my neighbors, we shared food, we had bbqs and such and I honestly don't know why people think cities have no form of community.
    People don't seem to realize that even the biggest city in the world is just a collection of small communities. After I finished school, I lived in a converted condo located in a former apartment building in SF. That building was my community. The people in the dozen or so condo units were my neighbors. We had monthly roof parties, Christmas parties and even building parties once in awhile where everybody kept their doors open.

The same when I was living in Shanghai which was a huge city. The alley where our house was located was the community. My neighbors were the vendors along the alley, the old ladies that sit outside gossiping, etc. It was a nice community. Each week we would have several food deliveries from the neighbors. They threw a party for us when we were going back to the US.

Theres more to someone than sexual preference. If people don't like it might be because youre an asshole and nothing to do with being gay. You seem to have some chip on your shoulder that being gay means everyone should instantly love you. I'm christian and we have gay people in the church and community. No one has a problem.

As for the topic I'll take small town any day. I've been to most major cities and hate it. Plus i can buy all the land around me so no one can ever live by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Theres more to someone than sexual preference. If people don't like it might be because youre an asshole and nothing to do with being gay. You seem to have some chip on your shoulder that being gay means everyone should instantly love you. I'm christian and we have gay people in the church and community. No one has a problem.

As for the topic I'll take small town any day. I've been to most major cities and hate it. Plus i can buy all the land around me so no one can ever live by me.
    My attitude of not having a gf and having friends that seem gay and funny? I am friendly to people I behave with poise with people. I grew up being taught how one must present themselves and be respectful so you do not get people talking about the family. Upper class small areas can be that way. No I was not the problem. My grandmother coming to me as a teen saying what’s with you. You should know everyone is saying your a poof with people not wanting their sons to be my friend is not a me problem. But please go on and school me on why it was a me problem.

Do you think all Christians are the same? There are some sects that are extremely homophobic.

My attitude of not having a gf and having friends that seem gay and funny? I am friendly to people I behave with poise with people. I grew up being taught how one must present themselves and be respectful so you do not get people talking about the family. Upper class small areas can be that way. No I was not the problem. My grandmother coming to me as a teen saying what’s with you. You should know everyone is saying your a poof with people not wanting their sons to be my friend is not a me problem. But please go on and school me on why it was a me problem.

Do you think all Christians are the same? There are some sects that are extremely homophobic.
    In the same vein not all small towns are the same as what you describe which seems to stem mostly from your grandmother.

Anyone that hates you for being gay isn't a christian.

In the same vein not all small towns are the same as what you describe which seems to stem mostly from your grandmother.

Anyone that hates you for being gay isn't a christian.
    Says one Christian. Other Christians are happy to discriminate. It wasn’t my grandmother telling people they can’t talk to me or be my friends. Don’t begin a “not true Christian” fallacy.

Others are fine with not hating like my friends mother who believes I’ll go to hell and deserve it but isn’t overtly hateful to my face though slurs she certainly does use.

Says one Christian. Other Christians are happy to discriminate. It wasn’t my grandmother telling people they can’t talk to me or be my friends. Don’t begin a “not true Christian” fallacy.

Others are fine with not hating like my friends mother who believes I’ll go to hell and deserve it but isn’t overtly hateful to my face though slurs she certainly does use.
    It's not a fallacy.

And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)

It's not a fallacy.

And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)
    It is a fallacy. No true Scotsman’s it is the same just replace Scotsman’s with whatever you want.

It is a fallacy. No true Scotsman’s it is the same just replace Scotsman’s with whatever you want.
    Big difference when you have the words of the man you are supposedly following.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I prefer small towns, about 2 million would be enough for me right now. Maybe even one million if it had decent infrastructure.
    This is what China does to a person

Big difference when you have the words of the man you are supposedly following.
    The idea of what makes a Scotsman all comes down to the culture of "what" a true scotsman should be...

I mean what you're saying is pretending there aren't sects of christians with differing beliefs, and if there are apparently only one is right. Remembering the outright slaughter of christians for "wrong think" and being branded heretics because "they weren't true" christians? This isn't even about religion, since this can be attributed quite literally to any thing that has anything to do with culture.

What is a "true" American what is a "true" muslim what is a "true" bisexual person?

Words - can all be interpreted, this is why you even have sects to begin with.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Having lived in places ranging from 50K-10mill.

I would have to say the size of city I think I would like best would be in the 150K-1mill mark. Sizable enough to guarantee all amenities. Still have decent commutes and travel times.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

The idea of what makes a Scotsman all comes down to the culture of "what" a true scotsman should be...

I mean what you're saying is pretending there aren't sects of christians with differing beliefs, and if there are apparently only one is right. Remembering the outright slaughter of christians for "wrong think" and being branded heretics because "they weren't true" christians? This isn't even about religion, since this can be attributed quite literally to any thing that has anything to do with culture.

What is a "true" American what is a "true" muslim what is a "true" bisexual person?

Words - can all be interpreted, this is why you even have sects to begin with.
    Theres a difference when you have the person's words to follow. There is no original american or scotsman that everyone is following.

If a person says you have to do x y z to follow me and you do a b c guess what? You arent a true follower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Thanks for the images! That one place, really have rainbow colored mountains !!!? Anyway, those are the type of rural areas I would much prefer to live in.

And no, I do not think I would be surprised. Some people do not like crowds. They prefer less people to be around and more peace and quiet.
    Zhangye Danxia National Park in the Gansu province. The best way to visit is to book a Taxi for a whole day from Zhangye or join a guided tour. There are four platforms. They have bus service between platforms. Peru have something similar. The patterns are different because one is sedimentary rock and the other is mineral rich sandstone and siltstone. Both worth visiting. Two pictures from the Peru mountain below.

Theres a difference when you have the person's words to follow. There is no original american or scotsman that everyone is following.

If a person says you have to do x y z to follow me and you do a b c guess what? You arent a true follower.
    .... So then which are the "true" ones then and what makes you so sure you're "true"?

pfft...I hated the 80k population I was born in, and found it too large until I went into neighboring Philadelphia with over 1.5 million.