SSD vs HDD for office build

I'm in the process of planning about 10 office computers and I'm kind of stuck about what to do for the HDD. These will be just for the most basics of computing, specs below:

CPU: Intel Pentium G5400
    MOBO: Asus Prime H310M-K R2.0
    RAM: G.SKILL Aegis F4-2400C17S-8GIS 1x 8gig
    PSU: Cooler Master Elite V3 - 400W PS

I'm looking at either a 500gb WD Blue HDD or a 250gb WD Blue SSD. I'm somewhat concerned about the longevity of the SSD for office use so was looking for some feedback about the SSDs. Realistically how long could they last in a work environment? Or should I just go with the HDD?

Also any tips on the build itself would be helpful.

Just buy SSD. HDD is just for storing data, if your office job doesn't involve storing terabytes of data, they are useless slow junk compared to SSD.

Also, current generation SSDs last for years - even the cheapest ones. So no worries there either.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what kind of office space.. If you're not going to be saving tons of data on it, it'll last long enough.

SSD lifespans run into the hundreds of TBW nowadays, if not PBW for the expensive stuff, so I really wouldn't worry about it unless you handle massive amounts of data.

Id consider a better CPU, though. Just for longevity’s sake.

For instance:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hxPp8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Signature Premium 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Team MS30 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($27.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Rosewill RD-Z 400 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $227.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 17:42 EST-0500
    The 2200G is significantly better than the Pentium G.. and only about 12$ more expensive, and the MoBo is cheaper anyway, so the price there is a total wash.

As others have said, the write-endurance of modern SSDs means that unless you're writing tens of GB to the drive per day, they will likely outlast the rest of the rig.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2019-11-12 at 10:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Id consider a better CPU, though. Just for longevity’s sake.
    It's probably fine since Pentiums are essentially I3s now minus the option for a slightly better iGPU.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    It's probably fine since Pentiums are essentially I3s now minus the option for a slightly better iGPU.
    i realize you posted this before i edited the previous post, but the 2200G is a true quad core and better than the Pentium-G in every way, and the cost is a wash.

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. There won't be a huge amount of data written per day so I will go for the SSD option.

Also I was thinking about the CPU situation as well and the country I'm in, the Pentium Gold and the Ryzen 2200G has roughly a $40 difference so will stick with the Pentium option.

Thanks again.

What country are you in, out of curiosity?

Currently in Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    i realize you posted this before i edited the previous post, but the 2200G is a true quad core and better than the Pentium-G in every way, and the cost is a wash.
    Well, maybe he doesn't want amd - lots of people are.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

SSD. It makes the computer feel much faster. The average office worker will love it.

only ssd hard drive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by herrieta View Post
    only ssd hard drive
    This sentence makes no sense.
    SSDs and hard drives aren't the same thing.
    An SSD uses NAND flash to store data
    A Hard Drive (HDD) uses magnetized plates spinning at anywhere between 5200 and 10000 RPM.

You can get a hybrid drive (SSHD), but they're super niche and super not worth the money