7+ Year Old Account

[Classic] Fury/Prot vs Fury/Arms tanking question

What’s the consensus on 20/31/0 vs 0/31/20?

I recently respecced from lvling as arms to a fury/tank build but I’m really missing anger management and tac mastery. Is last stand and the passive +threat in dstance talents worth sacrificing the points into arms?

I find my biggest issue is holding aggro rather than staying alive. Especially when with some mongo dps, feel like using threat actually hurts my sustainability because the healer has to spread healing out.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

In what content? I tank raids as fury/prot and can't stand tanking a 5 man without having tactical mastery. Just go the fury raid spec if you want anger management and tactical mastey or you know deep prot(which is fine for 99% of the playerbase). If you're having trouble with holding aggro then start wearing threat gear over mitigation gear.

As a healer, it's cancer to heal no shield tanks in dungeons, but very fine in raids, my MT & OT(s) only use a shield on individual fights, haven't for a long time either.

Rule of thumb is, the tank isnt holding aggro in dungeons regardless.
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2019-11-12 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    As a healer, it's cancer to heal no shield tanks in dungeons, but very fine in raids, my MT & OT(s) only use a shield on individual fights, haven't for a long time either.
    Well said.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    In what content? I tank raids as fury/prot and can't stand tanking a 5 man without having tactical mastery. Just go the fury raid spec if you want anger management and tactical mastey or you know deep prot(which is fine for 99% of the playerbase). If you're having trouble with holding aggro then start wearing threat gear over mitigation gear.
    Mostly dungeons potentially tanking raids once I’m a bit more geared. I’m fury/prot (0/31/20) now but yeah super annoying without AM and TM.

Is the threat gen of fury/arms (20/31/0) good enough?

Guessing by threat gear you essentially mean dps gear?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post

Rule of thumb is, the tank isnt holding aggro in dungeons regardless.
    Yeah I use a shield typically, so dungeons are typically this chaotic? Feel like I’m fighting the dps for aggro.

I’ll usually only be sure there’s no mobs on healer.
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post

Yeah I use a shield typically, so dungeons are typically this chaotic? Feel like I’m fighting the dps for aggro.

I’ll usually only be sure there’s no mobs on healer.
    Problem occurs in a pug, when you have a geared mage who goes all out (as he should) every pack, you can't be expected to keep any sense of that sort of pull, but even when you don't have a mage, in pugs you'll always have a bongoloid rogue who attacks some random target, you can't be expected to keep threat when you're just tab targetting vs a rogue going single target ham, or when a fury warr pops deathwish and gets 4 whirlwind crits.

Join a guild, pugged players are literal dogs, unfortunately you can't put a collar on them or take them out back to put them down like you can with a guildie, once you enter the scene of organized dungeon groups, you'll never want to go back.

So, generally tanks are just there to keep packs clustered for the aoe and to tank the bosses.

What’s the consensus on 20/31/0 vs 0/31/20?

I recently respecced from lvling as arms to a fury/tank build but I’m really missing anger management and tac mastery. Is last stand and the passive +threat in dstance talents worth sacrificing the points into arms?

I find my biggest issue is holding aggro rather than staying alive. Especially when with some mongo dps, feel like using threat actually hurts my sustainability because the healer has to spread healing out.
    Currently using a 8/31/12 build. I find 3 points in tactical is plenty usually and the 1 rage per 3 seconds I don't miss with most fights being so short. Shield spec rage however is amazing. I am giving up the impale/deep wounds damage but Im gaining imp shield block(only need 1 point in it), last stand and 6% armor and a rage every block and I can still do decent dps when not tanking. I don't find I really need the threat from defiance tanking, but if you're going pure DW tank or maximum threat you could throw 3 in defiance and keep 2 in tactical, kinda depends on what you typically tank and your role in raids. How often do you use a shield etc... I feel ya though I can't stand playing warrior without at least 2 points in tactical.
    Last edited by feellucky; 2019-11-12 at 11:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Currently using a 8/31/12 build. I find 3 points in tactical is plenty usually and the 1 rage per 3 seconds I don't miss with most fights being so short. Shield spec rage however is amazing. I am giving up the impale/deep wounds damage but Im gaining imp shield block(only need 1 point in it), last stand and 6% armor and a rage every block and I can still do decent dps when not tanking. I don't find I really need the threat from defiance tanking, but if you're going pure DW tank or maximum threat you could throw 3 in defiance and keep 2 in tactical, kinda depends on what you typically tank and your role in raids. How often do you use a shield etc... I feel ya though I can't stand playing warrior without at least 2 points in tactical.
    Thanks I really like this idea, may give it a try.

For the 8 points in arms do you go deflection or reduced rage for hs?

Thanks I really like this idea, may give it a try.

For the 8 points in arms do you go deflection or reduced rage for hs?
    Currently deflection because I just like parry and typically dont have the rage to spam HS when tanking dungeons. But its more of a personal preference thing.

The fury/prot build is pretty much just better at the higher progression levels but you can do it with some arms if you are lower progression like now. Either is totally fine right now and fully viable for all 5 mans and OTs in raids. Fury/Prot is substantially better if you ever want to DPS though so it is what most people go with--you sacrifice very little to still be a very competent tank.

And @the above person saying it is hard to heal a tank who isn't using a shield: you are supposed to have weapon swap macros so you use the shield when it is beneficial and not when it is not. That 10-15% physical damage reduction isn't worth much against a single mob and worth nothing against a spellcaster. Fury/Prot is substantially more DPS whether or not you are DWing and still has all the important defensive talents.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2019-11-20 at 10:25 PM.

Can someone explain how fury/prot is supposed to aoe tank with no Tactical Mastery? I can't change stances to WW or do anything? And I'm finding out fury/prot is terrible for dungeons?

I am coming from Deep Prot, and I was amazing at it. Now I am playing fury/prot and I feel like a handicapped crawling baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Oathbetrayer View Post
    Can someone explain how fury/prot is supposed to aoe tank with no Tactical Mastery? I can't change stances to WW or do anything? And I'm finding out fury/prot is terrible for dungeons?

I am coming from Deep Prot, and I was amazing at it. Now I am playing fury/prot and I feel like a handicapped crawling baby.
    I play FuryProt and while it's not as good for dungeons as Deep prot, it's still fine on AoE tanking in dungeons:
    1. Rotate sunders on each elite target, taunt whatever target inevitably gets pulled off you.
    2. Demo Shout + Battle Shout *atleast* once per AoE pack.
    3. A revenge proc on a target counts as a sunder; So if you revenge something, skip the sunder and move to the next target
    4. Charge -> TClap -> Defensive Stance on pull

I Can normally tank packs of ~5 without much trouble by doing this. Occasionally something gets loose, but the DPS can just burn down that solo target before it causes a real problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Can someone explain how fury/prot is supposed to aoe tank with no Tactical Mastery?
    Engineering, dense dynamite helps. You already do lots of dps. Demo/battle shout and like someone above said rotate sunders. All the while your dps is higher. Man times I do not bother much with the skull target as it dies fast usually so in the meantime get on the other mobs. Yes in 5 mans it's nice to have tactical mastery, I miss that but I also can clear DM east all bosses with just me and a priest or do arenas with just a healer.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **