Why isn't D3 cross-platform?

Title pretty much asks the qusestion, and here's the backstory:

I have a friend who just refuses to drop the gamepad and play D3 with mouse and keyboard. Funny thing is, he's usually a PC gamer but just feels so awesome playing D3 with a gamepad, that he refuses to come and play with me and our other pals in the upcoming season 19. As far as I know, D3 on PS is 1:1 the same as the PC version, so why is it that it's not cross-platform?

Probably because of hacks. Due to the nature of consoles, D3 aren't always online on those. As a result hacks are literally everywhere.

I just wish they add gamepad support for D3 PC because I've heard it's great and I wanna try it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by coblade14 View Post
    Probably because of hacks. Due to the nature of consoles, D3 aren't always online on those. As a result hacks are literally everywhere.
    Aren't hacks an undeniable fact on both PS and PC?

Quote Originally Posted by coblade14 View Post
    I imagine gamepad feeling somewhat nice too, since it's not a shooter.

Two reasons,first is hacking/moded items(thanks to blizzard allowing offline mode).Second is nephalem orbs,they increase damage and stack to 2min,if you die you lose the buff,you need to make certain amount of kills on kill streak for them to pop out.So you start grifts doing less damage than you should.(it was like this when I played on ps4,no idea if they changed the orbs)

Also once you start hitting higher grifts,game slows down.What usually would take 15min takes 45min in RL.Even though you finish it in time in game in RL you spend over 30min doing that 15min grift.1sec in game goes to 2-4seconds in RL.
    Last edited by MoltenIceCream; 2019-11-12 at 03:14 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because of hacks. You can buy hacked gear on ebay for Xbox One and PS4. There was an exploit where you got D3 on xbox 360, could export the save files or something onto a USB drive and then edit the files on a PC to create hacked gear (like the old White Gear from D2). Then you save the save and re-import to the Xbox 360. Then you transfer the saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox One via the transfer process D3 has built in for that and voila.

So they'll never have cross-platform because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dayne87 View Post
    Because of hacks. You can buy hacked gear on ebay for Xbox One and PS4. There was an exploit where you got D3 on xbox 360, could export the save files or something onto a USB drive and then edit the files on a PC to create hacked gear (like the old White Gear from D2). Then you save the save and re-import to the Xbox 360. Then you transfer the saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox One via the transfer process D3 has built in for that and voila.

So they'll never have cross-platform because of that.
    First time I hear about this. The situation sounds quite ridiculous lol! But don't these people get caught when they go online with hacked gear?

I don't think they are the same game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post
    First time I hear about this. The situation sounds quite ridiculous lol! But don't these people get caught when they go online with hacked gear?
    Not really, no.

Believe it or not, when I first played D3 online, I got into a group with some folks who were clearing like a grift 200 or something, that might be an exaggeration but I shot up paragon levels like mad. Then they were nice enough to drop me a hacked weapon with like .1 attack speed and mad damage, and rings with 3 slots for gems, it's super super easy to dupe items in D3 on PS4. I don't know if Seasons are a thing now on PS4 but they weren't at this point in time, so Blizzard basically didn't care I think. I can even get you a screenshot of this stuff if you want, it's quite silly but honestly pretty fun, I played on PC as well so it was a nice break from the legit grinding.

Also if I remember correctly, PS4 has a sick hop move that you can't do on PC, and certain specs like WW barb are just much more fun on controller than Mouse/keyboard.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2019-11-12 at 03:27 PM.

Title pretty much asks the qusestion, and here's the backstory:

I have a friend who just refuses to drop the gamepad and play D3 with mouse and keyboard. Funny thing is, he's usually a PC gamer but just feels so awesome playing D3 with a gamepad, that he refuses to come and play with me and our other pals in the upcoming season 19. As far as I know, D3 on PS is 1:1 the same as the PC version, so why is it that it's not cross-platform?
    I don't know how anyone can enjoy playing the ranged classes with a game controller. They could even make it so console players could use a keyboard and mouse now.

Most people are cheating on consoles,I remember first season that came to consoles,think it was season 10.Took a while to find 3-4 other people who werent cheating and we achieved rank 1.Others you can clearly see running with almost full primals,with materials cheat and quiting game just to reload the game to reuse those mats over and over again.If you decide to play online,150gr will be one shot.Minority of people dont cheat but the rest...do NOT buy D3 for consoles,unless you will play solo

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Not really, no.

Believe it or not, when I first played D3 online, I got into a group with some folks who were clearing like a grift 200 or something, that might be an exaggeration but I shot up paragon levels like mad. Then they were nice enough to drop me a hacked weapon with like .1 attack speed and mad damage, and rings with 3 slots for gems, it's super super easy to dupe items in D3 on PS4. I don't know if Seasons are a thing now on PS4 but they weren't at this point in time, so Blizzard basically didn't care I think. I can even get you a screenshot of this stuff if you want, it's quite silly but honestly pretty fun, I played on PC as well so it was a nice break from the legit grinding.
    Waaaw, I never expected things to go that far ... seems Blizz really doesn't care indeed.

Makes me kind of sad to be honest. It's literally like "Give us money to purchase a copy of our game, but we won't give a flying fuck for the quality of experience you would receive while playing it..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Waaaw, I never expected things to go that far ... seems Blizz really doesn't care indeed.

Makes me kind of sad to be honest. It's literally like "Give us money to purchase a copy of our game, but we won't give a flying fuck for the quality of experience you would receive while playing it..."
    I mean, you can play legit if you want. The worst thing that can happen is you get into a room with an active grift and get a bunch of paragon levels which does suck but that only carries you so far, you'd still have to farm all the gear and stuff which is the real fun I think, grinding paragon sucks.

If they did add seasons to PS4 though, they almost certainly have hack protection for that, but just general non-seasonal play is typically fair game.

isn't d3 on consoles quite different? having some dodge roll to compensate for the accuracy a mouse offers? there are probably more gameplay differences like that that would make it a bit awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Console version has offline mode so you can just savefile edit, also the console is usually behind in patches.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoltenIceCream View Post
    Two reasons,first is hacking/moded items(thanks to blizzard allowing offline mode)
    It's really monumentally stupid that D3, and continuing onto D4, will be 'always online'. I can't say stupid enough to cover how fucking stupid that is. No other Diablo game has been 'always online'. There has ALWAYS been an offline mode. The console version of D3 proves it's possible, hacking or no. It irritates the fuck out of me that I can't play the PC version offline.

My only hope is that D4 becomes popular enough that support of D3 drops, so they just kick it to offline mode with the option to play MP, like D2 is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you can evade roll on console but can't on P.C.

The high acceptance of cheating with console is a pretty good reason to keep that part of the game contained.

Isn't console gaming and the demand for cross-platform mostly a US only thing in the last few years? Its pretty sad to see that a whole generation did not make the transition from old-arcade => PC-gaming for entertainment and went straight into the dumbed down console/smartphone dead end.
    -

Pretty simple. Consoles have an offline mode and are full of hacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    It's really monumentally stupid that D3, and continuing onto D4, will be 'always online'. I can't say stupid enough to cover how fucking stupid that is. No other Diablo game has been 'always online'. There has ALWAYS been an offline mode. The console version of D3 proves it's possible, hacking or no. It irritates the fuck out of me that I can't play the PC version offline.

My only hope is that D4 becomes popular enough that support of D3 drops, so they just kick it to offline mode with the option to play MP, like D2 is.
    And grouping and MP has suffered in the past due to hacks/dupes. This is really the best way to control that.

- - - Updated - - -

It's literally the opposite.