Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Blizzard needs to add a transition animation between upright orcs idle and walk/run

Hey everyone! Here is a little video I made to show how awful the upright orcs are in the live and PTR versions of the game. They do not have a transition between the idle pose and the walking/running animations. Once you notice this, you can't unsee it. Sorry.

Please go onto the live version and the PTR version of the game and report this as a bug so this can hopefully be fixed for 8.3.

Edit: Also anyone getting an ad on my video know that I cannot monetize my uploads and it is an ad that only supports YouTube, not me.
    Last edited by literallysame; 2019-10-23 at 02:27 PM.

Unsurprising. This game has a lot of animations that are bugged right now, mostly movement animations, and a lot of them around the allied races.

Nightborne are problematic. A lot of animations get stuck for a few frames when looping, or when movement stops. Gnome has some similar issues.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    "How awful", really? This is a frame per millisecond that no one is able to notice and even bother about it.

EDIT: Not sure how fixing this would improve anything or make it better.
    I noticed as well as other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    This is so minor, I'd rather them focus on relevant stuff - my 2nd main is an orc and I've never noticed, nor do I care now I have
    Good for you but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It does when they could be doing other more important bug fixes etc instead
    But this kind of thing shouldn't have happened. When they added the upright orcs in 8.0.1 with their original running animation, they had a transition between idle and walk/run. Then when they changed it in 8.1, they half assed it and left out the transition.

Oh no, a very minor stutter on an animation that you can't even see unless you slow it down to frame-by-frame and play it back over and over! This definitely needs to take priority over everything else and be fixed NOW!

lol

Good job OP, this is the most insignificant complaint about the game I've seen thus far.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Oh no, a very minor stutter on an animation that you can't even see unless you slow it down to frame-by-frame and play it back over and over! This definitely needs to take priority over everything else and be fixed NOW!

lol

Good job OP, this is the most insignificant complaint about the game I've seen thus far.
    Thank you for your input!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Okay. What were you doing when you noticed it?
    Playing the game. Running around Org.

I'd like them to fix the issue where the Mag'har males use the standard orc voices for taking damage/dealing damage, since they have a whole set of Mag'har specific ones that only the guards use (found via WoWHead)

Fairly sure blizzard don't use any blend or transition animations in game when it comes to WoW.

I know they added some transition when it came to changing direction from side to side running or walking, but think that was done through code by simply rotating the model instead of a proper animation transition.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Fairly sure blizzard don't use any blend or transition animations in game when it comes to WoW.
    I know they added some transition when it came to changing direction from side to side running or walking, but think that was done through code by simply rotating the model instead of a proper animation transition.
    Well there is some issue because the hunched orcs are a smooth animation between idle and walk/run while the upright are not.

Quote Originally Posted by literallysame View Post
    Well there is some issue because the hunched orcs are a smooth animation between idle and walk/run while the upright are not.
    Kinda have to see it.. My guess is that when they are hunched they are just closer to the start frame of the running / walking animations start frame when it comes to the upper body. But yeah, need to get a comparison.

5+ Year Old Account
    Kinda have to see it.. My guess is that when they are hunched they are just closer to the start frame of the running / walking animations start frame when it comes to the upper body. But yeah, need to get a comparison.
    What do you mean? I made a comparison. It is in the post.

Oh sorry, me dumb, didn't listen to video(at work) and just looked at the problem with straight, thought both looked straight... I look more closely.

So I'm a HCI/UX expert and I know how brains work and interpret visual data. It's easy to argue that "this is the most insignificant thing to be annoyed about" but I want to give huge credit to the OP for helping me realise why this was bothering me so much. You see, the human brain is most alert when recognising changes in visual patterns, and if I were to draw you a graph of attention-to-frames it would be at the highest point when the animations transition. This is why transitions are important, because it goes from 1 to 10 without warning and that is jarring.

Sure, that's mostly subconscious, but it means that the most common animation your character does, if you're a straight backed Orc, is constantly jittering and jarring and now that I know I can recognise that's why I didn't like it. This is excellent feedback with excellent evidence and replication. This will take less than an hour to fix the rigging. I know exactly who to send it to as well.

ok, feels like they forgot to add the walk_start animation before going into walk_loop so instead of idle > walk_start > walk_loop it goes idle > walk_loop.
    That can be fixed in a few minutes. I would say just do a bug report from ingame rather than on here. They tend to fix small things like these fairly often. Misaligned stuff in the world gets fixed regularly.

worst case scenario is that the starting animation don't work as well with the upright, but see no reason for it to be so. If that's the case I doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good comparison, I never noticed that before. I'm sure they're aware that they "kinda forgot" to add some animation to the upright orcs but it's probably not at the top of their priority list at the moment. Come to think of it, is this same thing happening with the Nightborne? I thought their animations always looked a bit weird.

I was extremely excited when upright orcs were announced, but their animation transition was something I noticed very quickly. I understand why some people think there are other things for Blizzard to focus on, but I do think it is something they should look into.

They make so much money. Not hard to find the resources to do a quick touch up to the transition animation.

5+ Year Old Account
    ok, feels like they forgot to add the walk_start animation before going into walk_loop so instead of idle > walk_start > walk_loop it goes idle > walk_loop.
    That can be fixed in a few minutes. I would say just do a bug report from ingame rather than on here. They tend to fix small things like these fairly often. Misaligned stuff in the world gets fixed regularly.

worst case scenario is that the starting animation don't work as well with the upright, but see no reason for it to be so. If that's the case I doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon.
    I've been submitting bug reports since 8.2 PTR when I first noticed this. I keep submitting bug reports about this too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    I was extremely excited when upright orcs were announced, but their animation transition was something I noticed very quickly. I understand why some people think there are other things for Blizzard to focus on, but I do think it is something they should look into.

They make so much money. Not hard to find the resources to do a quick touch up to the transition animation.
    Totally agree.

5+ Year Old Account
    Oh sorry, me dumb, didn't listen to video(at work) and just looked at the problem with straight, thought both looked straight... I look more closely.
    Then why in the actual heck do you comment like that? This is baffling...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    So I'm a HCI/UX expert and I know how brains work and interpret visual data. It's easy to argue that "this is the most insignificant thing to be annoyed about" but I want to give huge credit to the OP for helping me realise why this was bothering me so much. You see, the human brain is most alert when recognising changes in visual patterns, and if I were to draw you a graph of attention-to-frames it would be at the highest point when the animations transition. This is why transitions are important, because it goes from 1 to 10 without warning and that is jarring.

Sure, that's mostly subconscious, but it means that the most common animation your character does, if you're a straight backed Orc, is constantly jittering and jarring and now that I know I can recognise that's why I didn't like it. This is excellent feedback with excellent evidence and replication. This will take less than an hour to fix the rigging. I know exactly who to send it to as well.
    If you do in fact know who to send it to that would be rad.