Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Lightbulb According to MMO Champion. MOP is WoW 2nd Best Expansion

Thoughts?

I love Pandas

Ranked the #1 Poll on Google when you search WoW Best Expansion Poll.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Expansion-Poll
    Last edited by Exhuman; 2019-11-14 at 11:40 PM.
    (Removed for Violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Even as someone who loves Mists... did we really need a topic about a poll from another topic?
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2019-11-15 at 07:10 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Not surprising, it was very popular while it was current content. It had its problems but a lot of people back then called it the best expansion. Those results are not surprising.

So? I think it's one of the bests but what is the point of this?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by How dare you View Post
    Not surprising, it was very popular while it was current content. It had its problems but a lot of people back then called it the best expansion. Those results are not surprising.
    The problem with MoP was the content drought at the end.

That Siege of Orgrimmar for 14 months was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post

If that's the biggest problem, it had basically no problems at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly this doesn't shock me at all. Once all the "LOLPANDA" crowd stopped whining most people saw that the content was actually quite good. Say what you will about the story or whatever....pound for pound MoP is still one of the best expansions easily IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree. MoP was a great expansion. I loved the music. I loved the zones. I really liked the 5.1 approach to dailies that unlocked story content as you progressed. It was pretty solid. The problem came at the end when WoD ended up not releasing forever. They paced out all of MoP at a rate that was based on releasing the follow up expansion quicker (Blizzard's stated goal at that time), then it just didn't happen leading to 14 months of Siege. I still don't fault MoP for that. We got a full story arc in that expansion in a good amount of time. We just didn't get the next story. Another strike against WoD.

So the problem with Mists is the same problem with every expansion?

According to MMO-Champion a year ago, it was the 3rd worst expansion: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-your-mind?

*Ignore BfA in that poll, it was still in Beta at that time so anyone that voted for it hadn't even played release, or waited to see how it developed over the course of the expansion. Yes, BfA turned out to be bad anyways, but people that compared a not-yet-released expansion to a bunch of fully released and patch cycled expansions is just an idiot.

Anyways, MoP wasn't liked that much until streamers recently started talking up how awesome classes played and how cool talents were in it. Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    The daily grind sucked but it’s grind pales in comparison to world quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Strongly disagree. It's what burned me out on WoW for the first time in my life, and was the first time I quit for more than 1-2 months...

On topic: IMO, the biggest problem with MoP was there gross overestimation of how cool Pandaren are supposed to be. The design for the males is ludicrously bad (I like the females a lot, but I never play female characters). The Asian-esque theme never fit WoW in the first place, and really grated on immersion for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists of Pandaria is a case of not knowing what we had when we had it (well I always thought it was a great expansion). Sure the content drought sucked, but all content droughts suck. It's really unfair to hold that against MOP when nearly everything other expansion faced the same issue.

When asked, the devs come across as quite gratified at how well MOP is now remembered, particularly considering the flak it took at the time. MOP ticked all the boxes. It had a great new land (after the disjointed zones of Cataclysm), great lore, great stories, great dungeons, mostly great raids (the first tier of raids were ok but nothing special) and it had one of Warcraft's best villains in Garrosh Hellscream, a chracter whose complexities mean that even to this day plenty of people are willing to argue he did nothing wrong. Initial flaws such as the rep grinds were soon ironed out in future content updates (something which could never be done with the AP system or Azerite armor).

MOP for me is one of the trio of top of expansions, the other two being Legion and WOTLK. Time has put some perspective on Legion however, and BFA's failures have exposed the flaws that were present when the Legion model was introduced (the infinite AP grind, class pruning going too far) but which were obfuscated by Legion's successful system (particularly the artifacts). Legion is now, for me, a solid third in expansions but MOP is appropriately ensconced in the number two position.

Ehh, MoP was the first expansion that got me to unsub not because I could not play the game, but because I did not want to. It was also the one that got me the closest to actually quitting and why I still refuse to do anything related to recruitment, in any game. It was the only time I've just logged off from the game and did not log back in for almost a year, despite the guild being still active at the time.

And it was the expansion that brought in the proto-versions of my most hated mechanics in the game: world quests (in the form of co-optional daily quests for lucky coins) and titanforging (in the form of thunderforged items). So yeah, I don't have much good to say about the expansion, except that it looked amazing and that I had no problems with class design.

Then again, I'm one of those people who thinks that cata was the best expansion, so what do I know?
    Last edited by Echeyakee; 2019-11-15 at 12:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

That has been the problem of WoW in every expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Poll doesnt include BFA. Cant be accurate

Id have to agree i think MOP was a great expansion the only bad thing about it was SOO lasting so long

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoriot View Post
    According to MMO-Champion a year ago, it was the 3rd worst expansion: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-your-mind?

*Ignore BfA in that poll, it was still in Beta at that time so anyone that voted for it hadn't even played release, or waited to see how it developed over the course of the expansion. Yes, BfA turned out to be bad anyways, but people that compared a not-yet-released expansion to a bunch of fully released and patch cycled expansions is just an idiot.

Anyways, MoP wasn't liked that much until streamers recently started talking up how awesome classes played and how cool talents were in it. Sheep
    Mop was my favorite back then. Go back and look.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    I think you'd best prepare for 14 months of N'zoth because they basically had nothing to show at Blizzcon for Shadowlands.

Blizzcon was:

1 zone with barely anything playable.
    Didn't show the tower.
    Didn't show any new class design.
    Didn't show covenants.
    "Features" trailer was completely empty.
    Wouldn't talk about itemization because they "hadn't decided yet".

Oh also - 8.3 has less than half the content that SoO had in MoP. You think a Withered/Chromie scenario, a raid and recycled invasions WQs(third time) will carry this game for 12-14 months? Think again.
    Worst case scenario it's 11 months. They will release 2020 no matter what. I'm personally guessing late October. The zones didn't look that far behind previous expansions. They have 9ish months to get systems designed before late beta. October 20th ish is my guess.

Wrath set an impossible bar wow has never managed to beat.

Cataclysm threw the bar down to a low because of the nostalgia TBC raiders had for 1% elitism then quickly backtracked and went -far- too much towards casuality to the point of it being laughable.

MoP was the perfect middle ground, like WOTLK it managed to have something for every player, and thats why it worked, alot of blizzards designs from Cata were pushed back to focus on a more WOTLK style casual approach but with hardcore in the mix, adding argueably the hardest raid ever made (heroic ToT) to the mix which at the time was universally praised, MoP was an amazing filler.

WoD took everything MoP gave us, once again focused on TBC nostalgia and tried too hard to literally bring TBC back with raiding being the *only* content worth doing since even PvP was meh.

Legion tried to be as good as WOTLK and MoP but only excelled in its storytelling while being mediogre in nearly everything else.

And BFA again had good story narrative, but tried too hard to rekindle the faction war, something that died years ago back in MoP by rekindling a dead idea.

Shadowlands to me feels like it will be a meh expansion, neither good or bad but universally considered "meh" like it will do decently to launch but quickly be like WoD/BFA but with a bit more to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dojichan View Post
    Poll doesnt include BFA. Cant be accurate
    BfA is bottom 2 believe me.

I have a feeling Shadowlands will be similar to WoD.
    Probably rushed
    Last edited by Exhuman; 2019-11-15 at 12:15 AM.