Do DK's matter this week?

Anyone know the formula for dishonorable kills? Like how do i get punished without a rank?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone, bueller?

I wonder because on my pve realm the ONLY pvp going on is in TM and DK's are basically unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Anyone know the formula for dishonorable kills? Like how do i get punished without a rank?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone, bueller?

I wonder because on my pve realm the ONLY pvp going on is in TM and DK's are basically unavoidable.
    You don't need a rank to get punished, since honor is calculated at the end of each week.

Everything you'd ever want to know about the honor system can be bound here : https://vanilla-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Honor_System.

Though the link provides extremely indepth data that might be a bit much to process if you aren't used to what you're seeing, if you want a quick summary it's basically :

Each week players compete server wide by estimating your honor farmed with your overall standing on the server to grant you the appropriate rank.

What this means is everytime you get at least 15 HKs ( the bare minimum to get into the weekly system) or more, the system will see your current rank + how much you farmed last week vs how much you farmed this week and then by comparing the difference in honor gained to all players of your rank you gain a "standing" which estimates your current bracket in terms of how well you farmed honor compared to everyone else on the server.

Basically how rank-ups occur are based on your weekly standing, if you are in the top standing for a bracket ( aka you farmed the most honor out of everywhere else on the server for that specific bracket) then the next week you can expect to rank up to the next rank, this system repeats itself for every rank you are valued at. So if let's say you farmed a crazy amount of honor and your standing dictates that you'll rank up, but then you are re-evaluates again for the next rank if you have enough honor to make the standing again then you will get promoted twice and so on. Basically this is how you sometimes get multiple ranks a week ( which rarely happens the higher you climb but isn't uncommon in the early ranks).

What dishonorable kills do is they reduce your weekly ranking points ( RP ) by 100 for EACH DK, weekly ranking points is the sum of everything I've been talking about above it's basically your most important value, which is why DKs are extremely punishing for ranking up, especially the higher ranked you are.

A person of rank 11 and above with a single DK might lose their promotion even if they've done nothing but grind honor all week, which is why on private servers people who killed civilians in any serious ranking group got instantly kicked and blacklisted, it was no joke for anyone seriously considering the rank 14 grind as that is something people would dedicate months of grinding to achieve.
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-11-15 at 03:18 PM.

Going based on memory, DK affect your honor immediately. Too many brings you down a rank even. Not sure if it was or ever was able to also make it harder over lifetime to get another rank or that was just a rumor back in the day.

https://vanilla-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Dishonorable_Kill

Dks are an instant loss of rank pts. There are no rank pts week 1. Dks should not matter

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Dks are an instant loss of rank pts. There are no rank pts week 1. Dks should not matter
    This is wrong. DK instantly subtract from your WEEKLY rank pts, the end results will still affect your overall ranking the next week.

You cannot lose ranks because you are technically rank 0 but you will not be getting good results for the standings are calculated at the end of the week.

If you are trying to rank up I'd seriously avoid getting DKs.

ive seen a ton of people say this as well, i guess we wont know for sure until tuesday.

Trust me if i could avoid DK's i would but im on pagle which is like 80% alliance and the only way to actually farm honor is raiding Tauren mill, and if you arent in a raid you arent getting enough tags.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    This is wrong. DK instantly subtract from your WEEKLY rank pts, the end results will still affect your overall ranking the next week.

You cannot lose ranks because you are technically rank 0 but you will not be getting good results for the standings are calculated at the end of the week.

Going to need more than just an opinion here, like the guy said since this week there are no ranks and you cant go rank negative you need to provide proof that a DK subtracts from your honor gained on week 1.

Per your link:

"DK penalties are subtracted from your RP score immediately"

"DK losses are not included in the weekly adjustment"

- - - Updated - - -

ive seen a ton of people say this as well, i guess we wont know for sure until tuesday.

Trust me if i could avoid DK's i would but im on pagle which is like 80% alliance and the only way to actually farm honor is raiding Tauren mill, and if you arent in a raid you arent getting enough tags.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to need more than just an opinion here, like the guy said since this week there are no ranks and you cant go rank negative you need to provide proof that a DK subtracts from your honor gained on week 1.
    Either way you'll only be 1 week behind but I believe I am right.

You kill the enemy, you get cp. End of week cp is converted to rp. Dks are instant loss of rp. Can go from rank 14 to rank 1 in a day if you wanted. Dks are instant. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the weekly conversion of cp to rp. We have 0 rp, you cant go negative, dks do not matter this week

Ya and i guess even if i am behind i wont be alone lol, hundreds of people on pagle have 30+ DK's this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone, bueller?

You rolled on a PVE server, if TM is the only place world PVP is going on then just stay away from it, it's not worth the chance of getting DKS mixed in there. Unless you are in an organized GM/HWL group from the start you most likely won't make it high enough rank on your own for it to even matter. This is not a knock on you but just how the system works. Once a large group of people gets together to start working on that push they will all get so much honor per week that it starts pushing loners out at a certain point unless you are pvping for 15 hours a day..

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    You rolled on a PVE server, if TM is the only place world PVP is going on then just stay away from it, it's not worth the chance of getting DKS mixed in there. Unless you are in an organized GM/HWL group from the start you most likely won't make it high enough rank on your own for it to even matter. This is not a knock on you but just how the system works. Once a large group of people gets together to start working on that push they will all get so much honor per week that it starts pushing loners out at a certain point unless you are pvping for 15 hours a day..
    Im not going for GM, i just want the blue pvp set. I knew full well that my pvp doesnt really start until p3 anyways with AV.

Per your link:

"DK penalties are subtracted from your RP score immediately"

"DK losses are not included in the weekly adjustment"
    What you're saying is partially true, you forgot to consider the full sentence though:

"DK losses are not included in the weekly adjustment and thus can make you exceed the -2500 pt loss cap."

DKs are not calculated at the end of the week but their subtraction from the RP pool is uncapped, so the only way you can avoid a penalty this week is if you get all those HKs at the very start before getting any honor. Which is unlikely.

Since you are rank 0 there is no rank drop but this will affect your total RP, which is answering your original question.

Do DKs matter this week? yes , if you intend on maximizing your RP you should avoid DKs.

You will have less RP than you would without any DKs which means you might not climb as high in the ranks as someone who didn't get any DKs.
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-11-15 at 04:53 PM.

What you're saying is partially true, you forgot to consider the full sentence though:

"DK losses are not included in the weekly adjustment and thus can make you exceed the -2500 pt loss cap."

DKs are not calculated at the end of the week but their subtraction from the RP pool is uncapped, so the only way you can avoid a penalty this week is if you get all those HKs at the very start before getting any honor. Which is unlikely.

Since you are rank 0 there is no rank drop but this will affect your total RP, which is answering your original question.

Do DKs matter this week? yes , if you intend on maximizing your RP you should avoid HKs.
    Ya i guess i still dont understand how the week 1 calculations work, and again of course i would love to avoid DK's and i will have to adjust my technique somehow for next week but on a pve realm that is alliance dominated (like 6:1) how else am i going to get any honor if not in a raid where the only small bit of horde are flagged and congregate?

Ya i guess i still dont understand how the week 1 calculations work, and again of course i would love to avoid DK's and i will have to adjust my technique somehow for next week but on a pve realm that is alliance dominated (like 6:1) how else am i going to get any honor if not in a raid where the only small bit of horde are flagged and congregate?
    Just make a grp of "dedicated" rankers with a rule to avoid killing civilians , if everyone's on board it shouldn't be hard to avoid. Communicating on discord can help avoid accidental tags.

Another thing to consider is to avoid fighting too closely to NPCs, maybe drag the fights away from towns etc, though that might be harder to do with faction imbalance as the less populated faction tends to be on the defensive while most of the dominating faction pushes in, unless you are the only raid group there it'll be hard to stop the random groups from rushing in and killing everything.
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-11-15 at 05:00 PM.

Falling From Grace
    You will be given Dishonorable Kills for killing civilian NPCs which immediately impacts your Honor rating. Every dishonorable kill costs you some of the honor that you’ve earned in previous weeks, making it difficult to reach the higher ranks as long as you have any dishonorable kills counted on your record at all. These will appear in the Honor tab immediately.
    As I said, any Dishonorable Kills will affect you in real time and make it harder to climb ranks later.

Just make a grp of "dedicated" rankers with a rule to avoid killing civilians , if everyone's on board it shouldn't be hard to avoid. Communicating on discord can help avoid accidental tags.
    Sounds great in theory, but on pagle US good luck finding any horde flagged outside of tauren mill.

Next week my guess is what i will have to do is continue the TM grind but solo so i avoid the DK's. Or form a raid with no hunters mages or locks (i assume 99% of the DK's were from those classes aoe'ing lol).

Do DKs matter this week? yes , if you intend on maximizing your RP you should avoid DKs.

You will have less RP than you would without any DKs which means you might not climb as high in the ranks as someone who didn't get any DKs.
    No

You have 0 ranking points all of week 1.

If I get 2000 cp from kills this week and also get 500 dks. And you get 2000cp from kills and 0 dk, we will be the exact same rank next week.

Go to any of the formulas listed for converting cp to rp at the end of the week. Copy and paste them here and tell me where you see DKs listed in the formula. If you can do this, I will admit I was wrong. Until then, you are incorrect

- - - Updated - - -

Also per the link

"DK's immediately lower RP's (overall score) rather than your CP's (weekly score)."

No

You have 0 ranking points all of week 1.

If I get 2000 cp from kills this week and also get 500 dks. And you get 2000cp from kills and 0 dk, we will be the exact same rank next week.

Go to any of the formulas listed for converting cp to rp at the end of the week. Copy and paste them here and tell me where you see DKs listed in the formula. If you can do this, I will admit I was wrong. Until then, you are incorrect

- - - Updated - - -

Also per the link

"DK's immediately lower RP's (overall score) rather than your CP's (weekly score)."
    After careful inspection of the formulas I admit you are right.

Initially I had confused RP for CP and thought DKs would directly subtract from CP instead, but since RP in week 1 ( this week) is 0 RP across the board and isn't calculated until the end of said week then DKs won't affect your placement at the end of the week at all.

The week after is where shit gets real though, as people who continue to kill everything in sight will not be pleased.

After careful inspection of the formulas I admit you are right.

Initially I had confused RP for CP and thought DKs would directly subtract from CP instead, but since RP in week 1 ( this week) is 0 RP across the board and isn't calculated until the end of said week then DKs won't affect your placement at the end of the week at all.

The week after is where shit gets real though, as people who continue to kill everything in sight will not be pleased.
    Ya it's good practice to not get any DKs now. Kind of a cool week tho because you can raid towns and cities to kill the players for honor and not worry abt the dks. After this week, getting any DKs will be a huge setback

Good to see my gut worked out for this week

People all crapping on me for my 33 DK's, but i also got 1100 HK's last nite.