Page 1 of 3
LastLast

should cemeteries be repurposed?

So cemeteries take up a lot of space. They could be better used for solar farms. Or if people really want to bury their dead then instead of coffins the bodies could be cremated and buried in those biodegradable urns that have a tree seed in them. That way that space is being useful.

http://eternitrees.com/urns-people
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

People are just meat with higher end brains, when you die it's just dead meat. I'd support re proposing the land.

I'm sure there are much better areas that could be "repurposed" for this that don't involve tampering with things that are very important to a lot of people... There are plenty of roofs, sidewalks, parking lots, etc, etc that could have solar panels installed over them before you go hunting for nonsense like this.

and then you chop down the trees every x years to rycycle the land area right? just like cemeteries do?

maybe you can use the wood to make a bed for small children, tell em greatgrandma is watching at all times!

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah as long as it is with the consent of the owner and not eminent domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    People are just meat with higher end brains, when you die it's just dead meat. I'd support re proposing the land.
    True, if people were un-spiritual I'm not sure if anyone would still care about cemeteries. I find them interesting to walk around in the same way it's interesting to visit religious historical sites.

I wonder if they have a lot of cemeteries in atheistic places like China. The typical citizen there still has a lot of supernatural beliefs so it wouldn't surprise me if they have similar spiritual traditions, just without a particular religion.

People are gonna be so pikachu-faced at what ends up happening if they actually try to impose this kind of loathsome shit.

This is the type of stupid radical nonsensical shit that makes people annoyed with radical climate change people. Fiddling with the 0.00000001% when there are much bigger issues that should be addressed without effecting the beliefs and lives of the people. There's tons of open land that would be fine without trampling on spiritual beliefs of people.

You know what? Parks, sports fields and playgrounds are kind of wasteful. Why dont we turn them into solar farms? Fuck the kids am I right?
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-11-15 at 02:02 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    People are gonna be so pikachu-faced at what ends up happening if they actually try to impose this kind of loathsome shit.
    The OP asked about what you think "should" happen. Not about what you think should be forced on everyone else. Those are two very different questions.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The OP kind of mixes 2 ideas at the same time that have different levels of viability. "Repurposing" cemeteries, as in digging up previously buried people and cremating them to re-purpose the land will never happen and isn't viable. It's incredibly insensitive to the families of the dead in a cemetery that you'd do this with to even propose.

The second part of it that the OP kind of mixed in is alternative forms of burial to traditional coffins. That is viable and is something that's been done for a while now already, not just with cremation (which has been done forever) but also the tree planting and other ideas.

But the important thing is that how a person's body is handled after their death is a huge decision for each individual and their family. That isn't a decision that can or should be made by the public or someone else with no relationship to the deceased person, because some people with no relation to the deceased (and iffy values tbh) won't care and would be happy to make the land a park, or parking lot, or anything else. Some people think the body is just flesh after death, but others have completely different opinions. Besides, this Earth has plenty of land to allocate a little bit of it to have a place to remember and honor those that have passed. If we have room for a Starbucks and Subway on every corner, I think we have cemetery room.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should really recycle our dead more efficiently than simply burying them in non-farming land.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    We should really recycle our dead more efficiently than simply burying them in non-farming land.
    Take that thought further.
    How many have already said the word "meat?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't we eat the dead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Granny meat is expired meat. It's way past its best before date.

7+ Year Old Account
    Good question, is our aversion to the idea of cannibalism mainly genetic or mainly cultural. Hmm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Good question, is our aversion to the idea of cannibalism mainly genetic or mainly cultural. Hmm
    Well you know, watch enough raptor nests and see enough dead chicks getting eaten by their siblings and you start to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    cultural. There are third world cultures where cannibalism is acceptable. I believe the tribe on North Sentinel island is a cannibal tribe.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

5+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

It is now widely accepted that kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via funerary cannibalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you see there's this problem with eating dead people... in which a damaged protein known as a prion, that cannot be cooked out or otherwise removed from the contaminated meat, can, in so many words, cause the eater's brain to effectively turn to mush over a period of several years and making them infectious to others. And not just by consuming them; it'd make tissue, organ, and blood transfusions equally able to transfer the disease.

Plus, you know... most people don't voluntarily have themselves killed. Many people die of diseases. Meaning that they're not exactly "fresh" for harvesting.

And, of course, consuming another human being is... revolting. Yeah, I said it.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-11-15 at 03:43 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but we aren't actually short on space. Especially for something like solar farms which could be put anywhere in the world.