Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I mained a Warlock and Paladin in WotLK.

Warlocks were awesome in WotLK, Demonology had an execute and it was just all around an excellent spec to play.
    Paladins were good too. I mained Holy, and I had a BLAST.

I can't really tell the difference of specs now in Legion/BfA because they all pretty much play the same.

Resto Druid.
    Purely from a subjective perspective, I loved the early cataclysm, super mana starved state that rewarded hard casting Healing Touch to fish for Living Seed procs while keeping lifebloom and wildgrowth up; spotting the raid with spare Rejuves.
    On that note, I personally can't stand Resto Druid right now. Yeah I get that it's arguably the best healer in the game, but since we lost Healing Touch, Nourish and Living Seed, we now don't have access to an efficient, hard cast through-put heal (Regrowth spam doesn't count, grr) it just feels bad. [Press F for moving Tranq from Legion]
    If we get back Wrath era style Nourish in the unpruning I'll probably go back. Until then, it's dps for me :3

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Hunter

Most: MoP
    Least: BfA

The gutting of the ABC (Always Be Casting) playstyle, the removal of Survival Hunter, and just how much slower and clunkier every spec feels is a real bummer in BfA. Barbed Shot is an archaic, pointless maintenance buff. It feels absolutely awful to use compared to building focus with Steady/Cobra Shot in previous expansions.
    Agreed, I'd be surprised if there are any hunter players that disagree with this. Although when they removed all the cool and interesting pet abilities in... WoD? that bummed me out as well.
    Last edited by Ashcrack; 2019-11-19 at 12:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlock:

It was broken in some ways of course, but I really enjoyed MoP for the warlock. I especially relished the idea of "tanking" with DA.

Honorable mention, I really dug Wrath affliction too.

I cannot stress enough how great mop warlocks were. A lot said it already so I'll try to highlight something that wasn't said as much: you had so kuch choices and decision making. Not just in doing damage, but in tons of utility. no cd metamorph thats resource dependant for demo. Demo rotation in general was a work of art, metamorphing made it "stronger" but not directly so, rather you weaved it worked with the regular form's rotation for more dmg, or stayed there for survivability/mobile dps in pvp/to dump soulfires fo burn.

Affliction soulburn was much the same. Could be used for dotting in one gcd, could be used for a ton of other things (pet summons, enhanced drain life, enhanced pet healing, speed boost after using circle...). In pvp you could always spend shards even ms melee kicks, but you were rewarded for finding times to cast.

It was a time where fun, fantasy and agency were at their peak.

That aside: wod wasnt too far off, just needlessly pruned, and legion was worse, but affliction artifact active made for some fun and thoughtful interactions.

Classic raiding was awfull, bc slightly better, wotlk much better, cata was too all over the place (you had to maintain corruption, agony, immolate and doom as destruction. Weird times). All of them were alright in pvp. Nothing compared to mop though.

BFA killed affliction for anything but raiding. It has no choices, no use of resources for utility instead of dmg, barely any decent aoe, and no meaningful way to cast vs melee. Its the worst its ever been in pvp including classic.

Rogue -

Most fun - Start of WoTLK. I really loved the Overkill talent where it simply reduced energy by ten during stealth and 6 seconds after breaking stealth. Could use it with Hemo to make the ability cost 25 energy. Mutilate was as low as 45 (With Glyph, if I recall correctly). Was really fun to play. Still wasn't fun in raids, but was fun everywhere else.

Least fun - End of WoTLK. Had the most boring rotation on the planet. Classic had more to do. Mutilate Mutilate Rupture Mutilate Mutilate Envenom Mutilate Mutilate Rupture. Seriously, ALL you did, the WHOLE fight, while having to press a stupid ass button every minute for a 5% damage increase. You spent 6 seconds waiting on energy in between Mutilates. Fucking awful garbage boring as fuck. Became really stale in PvP at this point too, IMO.

Why I would only play a WoTLK server if it had the patch I prefer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always played a hunter, so for me the most fun I ever had playing my class was probably during Cataclysm. Cata had a whole slew of issues with it and even when the class changes were announced/released in pre-patch, I laughed at a lot of the glaring mistakes. But once at max level, I just absolutely loved playing my class, even if there was bugger all to do.
    Close second is MoP, and the main reason I enjoyed hunters slightly less was because I don't like/ have never liked readiness or other full abilities reset spells. I was perfectly competent at using the ability correctly in PvE and PvP, I just don't like such mechanics.

The least fun I've had with hunters is Legion and BfA. Ranged survival was removed, and my enjoyment of the game with it; I did try to enjoy playing the game with BM and MM, but neither have been close to as enjoyable as I found Survival from WotLK to WoD.

3+ Year Old Account
    Gladiator stance warrior was really fun, felt great as a fantasy too. I do miss SMF
    Rogue I've enjoyed differently for each expansion tbh, never enjoyed the sub spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windwalker Monk
    Most fun: MoP
    Least fun: Legion

MoP is when I had the most fun with the class in general, and perhaps had more fun than I did in BC or Wrath, if I'm being honest. I liked not having a dps cooldown, being at the will of Tigereye Brew stacks; our pseudo-cooldown. Being designed to be a sustained dps and having the tools for constant pressure, like Expel Harm(now pvp talent) to live, or Healing Sphere's, Sparring(parry + spell deflect glyph), Fortifying Brew(pvp talent), Grapple Weapon(pvp talent), 100% Touch of Karma (punished burst), etc. SEF being a Cleave/AoE tool, and having control over what/who the clones attacked. Gameplay: essentially Havoc DH, but with more abilities and interactions, while Fists of Fury being a filler (unless you were playing with snapshotting trinkets). Admittance: Using Provoke to speed up Armsmaster Harlan's Bladestorm or Fixates to kill party members.

Legion was like a complete 180 in terms of design and philosophy for the spec, and perhaps the class in hindsight. Looking at Mistweaver for example, it takes more after it's MoP/WoD versions than Legion. Described in 1 word: simplified. "Similar to Brewmasters, here we focused on getting more depth out of less complexity." - half-truths; depth severely lacked/non-existent.

New Mastery to not repeat abilities, but changed to be cooldown oriented; opener to use all cooldowns, limp noodle filler until cooldowns were ready. Set bonuses sought to fix the problems of the lack of CDR. SEF turned into a cooldown, downgraded to Blizzard AI; has caused more problems than solved. Offensively: Great Value DH - anything WW could do DH could do better, sharing the same AoE niche as well, while ironically having had Havoc rip-off more of the pre-Legion spec than just Meta was to Demo. Defensively: secondhand Rogue - continued trend from MoP and WoD for Rogues to have had better defense, only made worst with the (lopsided) pruning and CC changes of WoD; defensive talent row actually mirrored their talents but was ass in comparison, noted by Tomb of Sargeras. PvP played more like Classic Rogue than anything else, with more running and waiting for cooldowns to deal damage and survive. Mobility is a form of defense", buffs every classes mobility other than DK in Legion - flawed design carried over to PvE, many a Monks died to unavoidable damage.

DK wod netrotic plague best

worst bfa

I mained a Paladin from vanilla through Firelands, and for most of vanilla that meant I was a cleanse/buff bot in raid content, and in pvp, I was a gimmick bridge holder/reckbomb deliverer that got to a medium high rank before tiring. The ability to do something else in endgame content came as late as partway through TBC, and even then it was half measures. I crunched numbers with the best of them and just got good at raid fights so my guild brought me despite the lackluster DPS, I was also a wiz with DI, bubbling through mechanics, and dropping spot heals. Honestly those were the glory days, using the Prot/Ret kit to unique advantage. I'd say it stayed fun up through Cataclysm, but Cataclysm was kind to alts and so I got lost leveling up one of every race/class.

Paladin: Come on, Ashbringer? They straight gave it to us. Just Ret. Can't beat Legion. Worst was vanilla, shoe-horning a whole class into a role was rotten.

Warrior: Good ol' Tauren warrior, my second mained character, leveled up to play with my college friends who were Horde. Tanked up to Wrath, but wasn't happy with any of the specs until Fury became more interesting around WoD, and I could feel the natural transition to the Legion/BfA Version. BfA version is my favorite for all 3 specs, but Vanilla and Prot get an honorable mention because at that time, it was literally the only viable tank, and I did that.

Death Knight: Had its ups and downs, totally changed from WotLK release, so weird that Blood wasn't always the tank spec, originally all 3 could tank to some degree. Gotta say when it was unfinished and I played it, it kinda sucked. Frost likes how things are now, but I wish Remorseless Winter was a talent that replaced default Glacial Spikes, for some reason RW is just annoying to look at for me. Legion was kind to both Blood and Unholy.

Hunter: My first character, I built it to resemble the Troll Axe/Spear throwers from the strategy games, but this was mostly impossible because Hunters couldn't make use of Thrown for Auto Shot. Shelved the character until Legion, when Survival kind of saved this character for me. The weapon and the Hunter Class story were dumb, imho, so I'd say BfA is the best, and the worst was vanilla because Thrown was even a thing there to mislead you no matter how good the trap talents were. Marksmanship has gone through so many changes over the years that it's hard to even say, that spec decides if it likes you on an xpac by xpac basis, and you don't get any say. BM has seen a lot of use by a lot of players and was worst in Legion when it was hokey and obnoxious. I care 0% for Hati. WoD's BM was the best.

Shaman: Didn't roll one until Cata, but mained it for BfA, both Legion and BfA were amazing for this class, even if all that fun came at the cost of hybridization that is the core of the Class. I'm excited for Shadowlands, Shaman is a good candidate for being a main. This class was at its worst in Pandaria, and I know that's not a popular opinion, but it was right before the big spec split that made it into what it is now. Resto abusing Chain Heal is that spec's Bread & Butta, so hand it to whatever expansion you abused Dungeon Finder to speed level on, because that's what it's for.

DH: Never could get into Havoc, and it's not changed enough in BfA to say. Vengeance is slightly more clunky this xpac, but we'll see.

Druid: If you played it in vanilla and liked it better than this, I can't blame you, but I'm saying the secondary spec/talent tier thing is a good move, so best whenever that came out, and worst just in general in WoD/Pandaria. Bears tanked the tankiest during Legion, Balance in BfA is quite fun, plays itself sometimes, Resto in Legion was strong, and still feels strong. Feral was probably best back in the vanilla through cata days, it's sort of bloated these days.

Monk: I have a hard time making myself play this class as anything but Brewmaster these days. Brew was fun in Legion, and still is. Worst probably in Pandaria/WoD even if it worked, I hated it. Windwalkers were best on release, but now feel stale because their animations and color schemes are just awkward to me. No race looks good using Fists of Fury, so I'm excited to see those clamps on a mechagnome. When I forced myself to make a monk, I healed, and I dabbled in Fistweaving. Chi Bomb/WoD was the top of the mountain and downhill since then. Good thing Brew's fun now.

Rogue: So many different versions, it's all up in the air. I hate Legion for forcing Combat into using swords because of the goofy stab animation on Dispatch/Run Through. The Outlaw thing with the pistol is fine, but I think it should default to a throwing knife with glyphs or whatever to make it a gun/crossbow/spear/whatever is a necessary evil. Let's not forget that Combat once upon a time had talents that gave you bonuses based on weapon type. I miss that. Sub lacked identity from the get go and has only settled into one since WoD or so, so it's getting better while Combat gets worse. Assassin has had some ups and downs, but WotLK was the glory days. Presently it's getting to be fun again.

Priest: Disc Atonement healing in Cata I think it was, was so OP that it's #1 and why I even have a priest, all three specs were boring until at least Cata, and while Shadow has undergone a recent facelift, I think Cata was its heydey as well. Holy was great in Legion because it felt good, and has a bright future alongside the other two specs if they keep trending the way they are.

Mage: It's hard for me to play this Class because I have played so many different versions of all 3 specs. Legion was good to Fire, even if Arcane was OP at the time. Frost was so savage from Vanilla through WoD, that any outdoor content could be trivialized or avoided entirely if you couldn't solo it, and much the same in most pvp situations. Fire and Frost both stank in the TBC/WotLK days or whenever it was they were tinkering with Frostfire bolt. I wanted to love that ability so much because it seems and looks cool, but it needs a home in both before I'll love those specs again. Arcane can stay OP forever.

Warlock: I've chewed up a lot of Warlock hours, but I think WoD/Legion/BfA have brought Demonology out of a vacuum that Metamorphosis put it in. Destro got its wish with Green Fire in Pandaria was it? Winning there. Affliction was the go-to spec for most of its life, and has gotten a little bland since WoD, and hasn't managed to climb out with Demo running wild out there and Destro to give you your big blast fantasy.

Did I miss anyone?

This is a great thread. I wish Blizzard would do some sort of official version of this in an attempt to make classes as fun as possible for Shadowlands, that might just bring me back. I know fun is subjective, but surely looking at responses from thousands of people would give them a pretty solid idea of what the majority likes and use that to keep as many people having fun as possible. On topic, healing on my MWer monk in WoD was the most fun I have ever had playing WoW. I felt like a had toolkit to handle nearly any situation and it was just fun. Unfortunately, it was gutted going into Legion. I also really enjoyed Arms in legion and SV hunter in Wrath and WoD.

It's difficult to say since I switch mains a lot. Huntard in vanilla, mage in BC, resto shammy/lock in Wrath, rogue in cata, warr in MoP, warr/monk in WoD, warr main since. Warrior is my longest lasting main so I'll focus on that.

First and foremost, I will repeat for the millionth time that I loved loved loved Glad spec in the first half of WoD (before it got killed). Honestly a big part of why I think so fondly of Highmaul and BRF. I miss it so much. MoP was the most fun I had with fury despite getting insanely frustrated with crit rng.
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2019-11-19 at 02:11 AM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Hunter, Wrath most fun, by far, it isn't even close, anything after Wrath least fun.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter
    Best: Marksman spec during HFC with the 4 piece bonus (instant cast Aimed Shot). It was the pinnacle of the spec with only a single weakness (large sustained AOE) which is rarely useful anyways.
    Worst: Marksman at the start of Legion.
    Last edited by Silversorrow; 2019-11-19 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I played during MoP, the visuals post Legion are far better.
    Chaos bolt.
    Nether tempest... Mind spike!
    Also the world, it was the most beautiful by far.

Sha of fear! That whole encounter was beautiful, challenging, fun and brilliant!

Mage, most fun in Legion and WoD. Least fun in vanilla and BC.

Because in Legion and WoD the rotations were dynamic, especially with the Legion legendaries adding a lot of situational options (once you had them) and the artifacts enhancing on strengths and giving extra abilities.

Vanilla and BC: spamming Frostbolt/Fireball is not fun.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2019-11-21 at 01:00 PM.

MoP = all my classes were fun
    After MoP = bleh

Paladin

Vanilla: Horrible
    BC: still bad
    WOTLK: omfg nerdgasm
    Cata: still good
    Mop: meh
    Wod: mehh
    Legion: mehhh
    Bfa: quits due to too much meh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Warlock main.

Most fun: MoP by far. Even if it wasn't really insanely strong during SoO, I would've still had a blast. All three specs had cool and unique aspects to them, the class was versatile and fun as hell and felt truly unique.

Inb4 saying: But but this is multidot, okay, here is single target...

Last edited by Micronetic; 2019-11-21 at 01:14 PM.