Thread: Boat res

  1. #1

    Boat res

    Is how it works currently how it worked in Vanilla (i.e. when the boat travels across continents every corpse on the boat is ressurected).

    I'm sure people have noticed the tactic being employed of taking over a boat with a raid of players and getting HKs from the Alliance using it for transport, limiting the DR as there is a constant influx of fresh players wanting to get from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms and back. At least I can't imagine it's only local to my server.

    For the record I'm delighted by this behaviour, this isn't meant to be construed as some kind of complaint at all.

    However it only really seems to work because the horde get ressed every time the boat crosses the ocean, rather than them having to run back to their corpses from distant spirit healers (does Horde have a spirit healer in Wetlands)

    So yeah essentially I'm simply asking if that is how the res mechanics worked back in the day, because from what I gather boats in general started off pretty buggy n stuff, but I don't remember it working like this (although I'll admit it wasn't often I died on a boat) but I have some distant memory of "once you die your body stops being 'attached' to the boat, meaning you have to sometimes swim really far out to see to get back to your body" or res at the spirit healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  2. #2
    From what I remember that's how it used to work.

  3. #3
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    31,904
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Is how it works currently how it worked in Vanilla (i.e. when the boat travels across continents every corpse on the boat is ressurected).

    I'm sure people have noticed the tactic being employed of taking over a boat with a raid of players and getting HKs from the Alliance using it for transport, limiting the DR as there is a constant influx of fresh players wanting to get from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms and back. At least I can't imagine it's only local to my server.

    For the record I'm delighted by this behaviour, this isn't meant to be construed as some kind of complaint at all.

    However it only really seems to work because the horde get ressed every time the boat crosses the ocean, rather than them having to run back to their corpses from distant spirit healers (does Horde have a spirit healer in Wetlands)

    So yeah essentially I'm simply asking if that is how the res mechanics worked back in the day, because from what I gather boats in general started off pretty buggy n stuff, but I don't remember it working like this (although I'll admit it wasn't often I died on a boat) but I have some distant memory of "once you die your body stops being 'attached' to the boat, meaning you have to sometimes swim really far out to see to get back to your body" or res at the spirit healer.
    In Vanilla you would ressurrect according to what side of the loading screen, that is how it used to be. This had a high tendency of bugging where you would suddenly be at a graveyard in the Barrens, while your body was just arriving in Booty Bay. My record is appearing as a spirit in Winterspring while my body was in the middle of the ocean on the route between Booty Bay and Ratchet, just before Booty Bay turns over into a loading screen.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    In Vanilla you would ressurrect according to what side of the loading screen, that is how it used to be. This had a high tendency of bugging where you would suddenly be at a graveyard in the Barrens, while your body was just arriving in Booty Bay. My record is appearing as a spirit in Winterspring while my body was in the middle of the ocean on the route between Booty Bay and Ratchet, just before Booty Bay turns over into a loading screen.
    The only time I remember running into problems like that was during patch days. I remember dying once on the boat going from Menethil to Theramore, after the loading screen was done my dead body was laying in the Moonbrook graveyard in Westfall, with a few other people as well. Might have been the week of the AQ event, don't remember though.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    2,615
    Maybe it depends on whether or not you release your spirit before the loading screen.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Maybe it depends on whether or not you release your spirit before the loading screen.
    Yeah I conferred with my partner and she certainly remembered it as "Your body remains where it was and you have to ghost run out to fatigue area and res and hope you can swim back before fatigue kills you again" but we both started in TBC so either it was changed by then, or, like you say, it is affected by whether you release or not.

    Still, made for some jolly transport earlier this evening Thanks for peoples replies
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •