New to building, need advice.

I'm trying to get into building a gaming pc for less than 900 bucks, something that can play games like Doom 2016, Ark, No Man's sky etc at 60 fps 1920/1080 with no stutter. Been on an older rig for a while. Heard AMD is killing it so this is the list I found:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LXMcJ8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.68 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($110.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ NZXT)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $717.60
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-17 23:35 EST-0500

thoughts? if this won't cut it, I'll take suggestions.

AMD is killing it CPU side yeah, not so much the GPU side. Decent build, I would swap the case for a H510 (same deal as H500 but cheaper) or Matrexx 70. I also wouldnt buy a Polaris card (RX 470/480/570/580/590) if you want anything but a stopgap measure - unless you want to overpay for Nitro+. The cards are just way too power hungry for midrange and wont last you long with the typical midrange build quality.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

What GPU do you suggest I replace it with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlightning View Post
    What GPU do you suggest I replace it with?
    Don't listen to him, the 580 is perfectly fine for 1080p, and will last you a couple years no problem. Yes it's power hungry, but the performance is perfectly fine and if you don't get a shit card (The armor is fine) it won't burn itself out.
    The nearest card to it in price and performance (not price to performance) without going down would be a 1660.. Which is a 200+ dollar card. The cheapest without sales is ~230 if you don't want a blower cooler (you don't)

I'd probably go with something like this if you just want 1080p60: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vnh9Nq
    If you wanted to make sure to spend all 900 dollars, something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jR9K3t

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Don't listen to him, the 580 is perfectly fine for 1080p, and will last you a couple years no problem. Yes it's power hungry, but the performance is perfectly fine and if you don't get a shit card (The armor is fine) it won't burn itself out.
    The nearest card to it in price and performance (not price to performance) without going down would be a 1660.. Which is a 200+ dollar card. The cheapest without sales is ~230 if you don't want a blower cooler (you don't)

I'd probably go with something like this if you just want 1080p60: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vnh9Nq
    If you wanted to make sure to spend all 900 dollars, something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jR9K3t
    Should I be concerned with the red warning about BIOS updates on the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 build you linked?

I would get a 3000 series cpu way better. I bought 2700x at realease super happy but newer are better. I use a 1080p 240hz monitor for gaming and a strix 1080ti that the perfect 1080p combo.

you shouldnt recommend a 50dollar aftermarket cooler to people that arent specifically into overclocking.
    also, for 9/10 people, its simply not worth paying for seasonics 7-10-12 year warranty's. corsair launched their "vengeance" series PSU not long ago and the 650M achieves gold rating in tests for 59.90€.
    rx580 graphics card is not something anybody should be buying right now unless they can get a nitro+ for 120 or less.. 1660 super is where its at now or you could optionally wait for rx5500. anything else is wasted money at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by blahdiblah View Post
    you shouldnt recommend a 50dollar aftermarket cooler to people that arent specifically into overclocking.
    also, for 9/10 people, its simply not worth paying for seasonics 7-10-12 year warranty's. corsair launched their "vengeance" series PSU not long ago and the 650M achieves gold rating in tests for 59.90€.
    rx580 graphics card is not something anybody should be buying right now unless they can get a nitro+ for 120 or less.. 1660 super is where its at now or you could optionally wait for rx5500. anything else is wasted money at this point.
    I made some changes:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hyGkXv

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($249.99 @ Best Buy)
    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $816.58
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 03:43 EST-0500

Is that better?
    Last edited by silverlightning; 2019-11-18 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should I be concerned with the red warning about BIOS updates on the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 build you linked?
    No, the max version of the board was only made after 3000 series were introduced, it is guaranteed to come with a compatible bios (Which I apparently didn't select, it should've been the MAX, it costs 4 dollars more)
    It's quieter. You can't really even overclock any of the Ryzen 3000 series, they're all super close to the max they can do

Just because it's gold rated doesn't mean it's good. Yeah it's a decent series, but I'd still rather get something from Seasonic than an OEM I don't really know anything about. If it's that cheap then something must be off.
    Also, not available in the US, so who fucking cares when OP is in the US

I mean, sure, if you want to pay for performance you don't need. The 580 is good enough for 1080p60 gaming, and will be for a while yet. You don't need to pay more for better performance if you don't need that performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I made some changes:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xc9K3t

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $806.58
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 03:39 EST-0500

Is that better?
    I'd really suggest another drive than the 860, Samsung drives cost so much for what you get. If you're doing work on the PC then yeah, Samsung makes sense since they have an amazing warranty, but SSDs are reliable enough that you don't need to pay the extra for it.

And as I said, the 1660 super is better, but it's performance you don't need if you're only playing 1080p 60fps games.

Okay, I'm just gonna go with your second suggestion, Temp:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jR9K3t

Seems good to me. Don't need to make any changes to fix that BIOS thing? Just a bit worried since I barely know what I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm just gonna go with your second suggestion, Temp:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jR9K3t

Seems good to me. Don't need to make any changes to fix that BIOS thing? Just a bit worried since I barely know what I'm doing.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NT8ZZf
    Swapped the MOBO with the MAX version. It'll be fine, PCPP just doesn't know that the BIOS is compatible. The max version was made as a response to MSI's old boards not having big enough BIOS chips to be compatible with all the Ryzen chips, so they had to cut the 1000 series to make room for the 3000 series. The MAX version has a BIOS chip with twice as much memory, and was (as I said) made after the 3000 series launched, so it'll be fine

Done deal, thanks for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done deal, thanks for your time.
    You're welcome.

That said, before you buy: If you can wait until Black Friday, do so. It's in what, 2 weeks?

That's my plan actually, Black Friday.

I mean, sure, if you want to pay for performance you don't need. The 580 is good enough for 1080p60 gaming, and will be for a while yet. You don't need to pay more for better performance if you don't need that performance.
    that used to be true. but we already have a few examples of it not being the case anymore, rdr2 being chief among them.

that psu i mentioned is not actually gold rated. cheaper. it doesnt have a 10yr warranty like seasonics focus series. cheaper. its also mass produced on a completely different scale because corsair is just that popular. cheaper. and it was jonnygurus test that i was refering to when i said it achieved gold ratings.

zen2 can overclock just fine, unless you expect to overclock it with like 1-1.5ghz like you can with some intel chips that are using a node thats been refined and optimized how many times now? yea..

you need to get with it mate. seems you havent been keeping up with the developments properly in the past year, year and a half, where alot have actually happened.

- - - Updated - - -

I made some changes:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hyGkXv

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($249.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $816.58
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 03:43 EST-0500

Is that better?
    i would say so. still, if it was me and i was trying to get most value for my money, i'd find a cheaper psu (probably 80+ bronze rated <550watts) and case, scratch the aftermarket cooler altogether, and buy a 3600 instead of the 2600. then you can always worry about aesthetics at a later date

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P4RwzN
    Last edited by blahdiblah; 2019-11-19 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    that used to be true. but we already have a few examples of it not being the case anymore, rdr2 being chief among them.
    That's one game, that no card can run well. The vast majority of games (especially the ones OP said he wants to play) will do just fine on a 580.

that psu i mentioned is not actually gold rated. cheaper. it doesnt have a 10yr warranty like seasonics focus series. cheaper. its also mass produced on a completely different scale because corsair is just that popular. cheaper. and it was jonnygurus test that i was refering to when i said it achieved gold ratings.
    And as I said, it's an okay PSU. But it's also not available in the US, so who fucking cares when that's where OP is?

zen2 can overclock just fine, unless you expect to overclock it with like 1-1.5ghz like you can with some intel chips that are using a node thats been refined and optimized how many times now? yea..
    Yeah you can get like 100mhz at the cost of a shit ton of extra heat. It's not worth it. And again, as you said, OP isn't into overclocking, so who cares?

you need to get with it mate. seems you havent been keeping up with the developments properly in the past year, year and a half, where alot have actually happened.
    In the PSU space? Probably, because I don't care. In the rest? I'd say I'm fine

i would say so. still, if it was me and i was trying to get most value for my money, i'd find a cheaper psu (probably 80+ bronze rated <550watts) and case, scratch the aftermarket cooler altogether, and buy a 3600 instead of the 2600. then you can always worry about aesthetics at a later date

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P4RwzN
    A 2600 at 120 dollars is a way better value than a 3600 at 200 dollars, and it'll do fine for 1080p60 gaming