10+ Year Old Account

will there be new catch-up gear in 8.3

that will make benthic obsolete? not that I'm really trying specifically to upgrade the stuff but when it comes to my toon with the most mana pearls and no benthic gear I'm debating between the mounts or gear. if the gear is going to be replaced by something better (I'm super casual pretty much only doing world quests) I'm inclined to use them on the mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes, but it’s stuck at ilvl 400. So upgrading Benthic will be better in the long run.

Use on the mounts. Gear is always ephemeral, especially unimportant if you don't raid or do m+.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Dont waste pearls on Benthic.. you drown in 400+ gear allready, with the WQ and the caverns of time event

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks all. the thing is I'm doing the emissaries anyway and while there I do the weekly mad dude quest nad will do WQs for mana pearls if easy like the match game so with time I'll have plenty to upgrade them to 430 and with the way they keep scaling mobs up in power with player power it makes a difference plus the island expeditions clearly become more and more easy with ilvl and I'm pretty much doing it all for the gold and other rewards. speaking of, mounts like those for mana pearls will be theoretically even easier to get in the next x-pac where I'm sure all of the WQs etc can be steamrolled. I'll have to see what this assault deal is.

In terms of ease of gearing nothing beats Benthic. With some min-maxing and focused play, you can get 385-390 in 2 hours /played on a fresh 120 (Granted I support each of them with about 5-10k gold also). I did this method for all the classes but my 1 hord and it worked great.

So thats why Benthic will still be good, to just get alts going fast for lock-out farming or w/e other crap.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Get mount benthic is a waste of time fresh 120 can easily get 420+ with mythic+ in a couple of days. 8.3 will offer even better gear benthic will be useless by then

Another point: in patch 8.3 you can get reputation for mana pearls. Essences and professions still need rep so that's what I'll buy with my pearls.

I don't see it on wowhead yet so a screenshot (costs 20 pearls):

Last edited by Twdft; 2019-11-18 at 09:24 PM.

Yes, that's part of the catch-up mechanism for essences in 8.3. Essences require less rep to earn and you can transfer rep to your alts via tokens.

Base level benthic seems like it'd still be good for sheer speed you can get it, since the stuff is BoA. Then you can work from there now that you're actually able to queue for things and die less quickly. Plus you'll be getting pearls anyway working towards the essence in that zone so you've got at least two (that + the basic one you start out with) starting out your character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    that will make benthic obsolete? not that I'm really trying specifically to upgrade the stuff but when it comes to my toon with the most mana pearls and no benthic gear I'm debating between the mounts or gear. if the gear is going to be replaced by something better (I'm super casual pretty much only doing world quests) I'm inclined to use them on the mounts.
    Even if there wasn't, gear always gets replaced, whether that's from the next world quest, or the next patch, or the next expansion.

Mounts are forever.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Even if there wasn't, gear always gets replaced, whether that's from the next world quest, or the next patch, or the next expansion.

Mounts are forever.
    Mounts are forever not used, as you need your herb mount and repair mount.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Mounts are forever not used, as you need your herb mount and repair mount.
    Used or not, it’s +1 mount for the collection achievements, not to mention there are monelite stirrups and areas where you can mount but there’s no herbs, like dungeons and raids.

You don’t HAVE to ride the sky golem (indeed I refuse to because it’s models location doesn’t match up with its hit box when flying because it zigzags), and nobody just uses the caravan brutosaur as a regular mount. It’s too big and gets stuck on shit constantly.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Not sure about sacrificing gearing for transmog/mounts/pets. Later is just there to give regular players additional things to spend on.

This is like saying to a new wow player he should get heirlooms for the first character because its faster to level that way???
    -