Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosgoth View Post
    But that's the point. It's better. It's better for everyone. How crazy would you be to grind for hours if you could just wait a week and achieve the same thing with minimal effort.
    Have you even heard of a mythic raider?
    ofcourse "we" dont waste our time on a stupid mog quest, but farming islands on release 8h/day for a week and hundreds of MoS runs in Legion just to have a small edge is just what we do, welcome to the internet m8.

Why does there have to be any cap at all?
    When not capped, players are encouraged to grind as the most efficient way to achieve the goal, even though most players don't enjoy grinding. That's a perverse incentive and positive game design avoids that sort of thing.

And yes, I know it's a MMO and there's a ton of rewards for grinding. All of that is bad design, or potentially lazy design, and most MMOs including WoW are lousy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    And in this quote you state, that you view the daily system as "better". You kinda contradict yourself here and you seem to argue for arguings sake.
    What I said is that it is better to spend 5 minutes a day, for a week, killing mobs, than to spend several hours grinding.

It means

spending roughly 30 min. = good
    grinding for several hours = bad

That doesn't mean I like the daily tasks thing. I hate the fact that they give me a quest like this. They are forcing me into it, because it means less time wasted overall. That's cause they've set this idiotic system up to be like this. It didn't have to be like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    When not capped, players are encouraged to grind as the most efficient way to achieve the goal, even though most players don't enjoy grinding. That's a perverse incentive and positive game design avoids that sort of thing.
    That's fine, as long as it doesn't take too long getting there. If you have a quest where you need to get 40 things, well first of all the optimal choice here would be to not have the quest. But the second best thing would be to just have every dungeon boss drop 5 of these things, then you run two dungeons and you are done with it. The optimal choice is not to have the whole thing take several hours to the point where people start to hate despise the developers for forcing them through it.

Oh, for sure. I would have strongly preferred a short questline with compelling characters and a story exploring some of the lore to come in Shadowlands. Starring Alleria on alliance and Vol'jin's ghost on Horde. That would have been awesome. It's the non-lazy approach.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2019-11-18 at 03:49 PM.

Oh, for sure. I would have strongly preferred a short questline with compelling characters and a story exploring some of the lore to come in Shadowlands. That would be the non-lazy approach.
    Clearly. But even that could have been accompanied by terribly low droprates, forcing people to grind for hours.

The question here is, why are they doing this. Getting back to what I wrote in the OP, I think they are testing this to see how people react, and then these sort of mechanics might be integrated into the systems of the next expansion. So Anima, Torghast etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhunes View Post
    1 drop per hour? People saying this are not actually doing the quest and are just trying to create an issue where there is none. It took me around 2 hours farming the Blood Gates. Max it takes 3 hours.
    And other people say it took them way longer. Stop calling them liars, or I might as well call you one.

The hidden daily quest part is nothing really new, being grindable past that initial easy daily drop is. The latter is what I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    Did you just completely disregard the bigger picture and focus only on the one specific item?
    For software (hint: wow server is software) it does not matter what reason you use but what outcome you get (diminish drop rate of item X after Y drops)
    Nobody gives a fuck about volatile air and shit.

Honestly, the grinding here isn't bad. I've suffered far worse during Classic, Wrath, WoD, and Legion.

Aside from artifact power which is effectively infinite but soft-capped to make it grindy, grinding in BFA is largely for optional stuff, cosmetics, which is definitely an improvement.

SL's equivalent to artifact power is hard-capped and that cap is achievable fairly quickly, which is a huge improvement on the last remaining mandatory grind.

Nobody gives a fuck about volatile air and shit.
    Of course nobody cares anymore because THATS NOT THE POINT. Once again you are focusing on single item and not on the mechanic. (Are you just trying to stir up shit? In that case you got what you wanted)

I am answering your BOLDED QUESTION from first post,

Could it be that they are testing something for the next expansion?
    The answer is no. The mechanic is old and has been used already

/thread

I didn't know they used the same diminishing droprate mechanic before, and I follow WoW really closely! Thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway, I don't like it.

It's not. You are talking about something completely different.

I read it as saying volatile air starts out with a high droprate then diminishes as you loot it, resetting every day. Seems like the same deal to me.

Interesting theory, haven't thought about it myself. I actually like that a lot, hope that's the case.

Why does there have to be any cap at all?
    For reasons I explained in my longer post. It's not economically feasable for Blizzard to do without a cap. there would be too many complaints about content droughts. Since vanilla there have been caps on how fast you can increase you characters powerlevel. Thats why raids have a weekly reset and no reset button. Later dungeon lockouts for heroics. And so on.

It means

spending roughly 30 min. = good
    grinding for several hours = bad

That doesn't mean I like the daily tasks thing. I hate the fact that they give me a quest like this. They are forcing me into it, because it means less time wasted overall. That's cause they've set this idiotic system up to be like this. It didn't have to be like this.
    Yeah, that's why I'm advocating the weekly model. You get to grind more at a time with high efficiency whenever you like it while also consuming content at a steady rate. Maybe it was not necessary for the Echoes of Mortality but it sure as hell will be necessary for Torghast. Else you will have all your legendaries in a week and be done with the game, as you will have the most powerful equipment and no reason left to play the game.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2019-11-18 at 04:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    In case you don't know, if you preorder the heroic edition, you can get a transmog set. However you have to do a quest first and gather 40 Echoes of Mortality. The thing is that there seems to be a mechanic, that gives you a couple of them rather quickly each day, but after a few, you hit a point where the droprate is severely reduced. So for example you might enter a dungeon, do 5 pulls and after 5 minutes get 6 Echoes from one mob. But then you hit the cap, and now you get like 1 drop per hour.

I and many other players have noticed this. Essentially this means that either you can invest 5 minutes per day and do that and get your quest done after about a week with minimal effort, or you can accept the low drop chances and grind all day. Some have reported finishing it in 90 minutes, but I am fairly skeptical of that, since others report 1 drop per hour, even in good farmspots.

Bottomline is, you can either wait and invest minimal time and effort, or get it done day one with a lot of grinding.

Why is Blizzard doing this? I mean let's set aside how obviously terrible it is to force players through this quest after they have just paid real money to have access to this transmog set. But what is the point of such a quest? Why let people decide between waiting it out and taking the grind?

Could it be that they are testing something for the next expansion?

We know that Torghast will give legendaries and that players will be able to do Torghast as much as they like. Now if whatever resource Torghast gives that is needed for crafting legendaries has a cap, then most likely people will just reach the cap and stop playing.

But let's say you need 1000x [legendary resource] and you can get 50 of them easily each day. It takes you just one average run or something. You do your daily Torghast for 20 days, and you get to craft your first legendary. But what if, if you kept playing, it keeps giving you that resource, but at a much reduced rate? So hardcore players will get to craft their legendary earlier, but they will have to grind it out.

I'm not saying this would be a great thing, I'm just wondering if Blizzard is considering something like this.
    Im not saying, that i am in favor of a soft cap, where the drop rate drops as you get X amount....But im not really pissed off either.

Like, its not a hard objective to get. I could understand if you needed 3000 and you were slowed down to 5 drops pr dungeon, but it more seems like a little slowdown instead. Like if you need 40 echoes, you still won't spend more than some hours to get the set, so it does not really hurt the time consument that much
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

And yes, I know it's a MMO and there's a ton of rewards for grinding. All of that is bad design, or potentially lazy design, and most MMOs including WoW are lousy with it.
    control yourself and set your own cap.

like, goddamn, i know that personal responsibility is under attack these days, but has it truly become such a foreign concept?

everything should be open to being done as you feel like doing it. if want to go out and no-life the fuck out of something, i should get the reward for that before someone that bitches about their work making them only play an hour a day.

and yeah, if this is the case op, then it is a new annoying system in place to draw out MAU's. though, it could be a bug. i remember a while back they did something to combat botting mass farms, but i can't remember what it was. could it be unintentionally effecting this item?

Are you just trying to stir up shit? In that case you got what you wanted
    It really seems like that. OP is not very productive and not really reachable by logical arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    control yourself and set your own cap.

like, goddamn, i know that personal responsibility is under attack these days, but has it truly become such a foreign concept?

everything should be open to being done as you feel like doing it. if want to go out and no-life the fuck out of something, i should get the reward for that before someone that bitches about their work making them only play an hour a day.
    yeah, Blizz would let you do that, if you were willing to pay for the entire patch. They will not develop content for you to consume in a week and then cancel your sub until the next patch drops. And it's not possible to create content as fast as players consume it.

But you are right: more playtime should lead to more rewards, which is why I'm all in favour of a softcap after which your rate of aquisition drops. But not too harsh, maybe to like half until you reach another softcap (double the first one) at which point your rate of aquisition really tanks to maybe 10% or so. In that scenario you would be able to grind and be twice as fast as the casual user who goes for the first softcap by playing 3 times the amount. And you really could all in and grind you ass of, but it would take you 10 times more effort, which is fair because you still get a hefty lead if you play more.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2019-11-18 at 04:38 PM.

I think it's a fair mechanic, if someone wants to put in extra time for extra reward then they should be rewarded. Currently once you've exhausted your WQs or whatever for the day or you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    yeah, Blizz would let you do that, if you were willing to pay for the entire patch. They will not develop content for you to consume in a week and then cancel your sub until the next patch drops. And it's not possible to create content as fast as players consume it.

But you are right: more playtime should lead to more rewards, which is why I'm all in favour of a softcap after which your rate of aquisition drops. But not too harsh, maybe to like half until you reach another softcap (double the first one) at which point your rate of aquisition really tanks to maybe 10% or so. In that scenario you would be able to grind and be twice as fast as the casual user who goes for the first softcap by playing 3 times the amount. And you really could all in and grind you ass of, but it would take you 10 times more effort, which is fair because you still get a hefty lead if you play more.
    that's stupid.

this is pretty much the way it worked up until wotlk, and the game has never done better since. adding caps, or soft caps, to anything that you can grind in a game is nothing but business bullshit.

people want to be mindless dogs and bitch if they no life it and run out of content, tell them to deal with it. it all comes back to personal responsibility. you go out into the game, you pick what you want to do and you do it. you should have some form of comprehension that there will always be a limited amount of things to do. if you want to set some kind of limit so you feel like you always have things to do, that's your own prerogative.

i don't want to be limited by anything but the actual existence of content to consume. if i want to throw on a tabard and do dungeons till i feel like i want to die, that's what i want to do. that's the way it should be. i repeatedly face the fact that even places like 4chan lacks the amount of entertainment i need to consume to not feel bored. i would need an unending stream of lore being produced by the minute to not be bored, and that's never going to happen. caps will do nothing but piss me off and make me bored faster.