Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    DOA as far as I am concerned. Amazing concept and if everyone had google fiber and servers were wide spread enough / numerous enough for everyone to be pretty close to one than it might have a shot. But.. since most people have things like data caps.. throttling.. and in a lot of cases shit ISPs you cannot expect this to work. Then to top it off lag is going to be pretty bad unless you are next door to the data centers. Yeah.. just not worth it.. but I don't think anyone is really surprised by this are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well if his goal was to make his systems sell bad hes pretty good at that
    In your opinion, sure. But I'm guessing you also haven't even played all three, and just basing your opinions on what others think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    In your opinion, sure. But I'm guessing you also haven't even played all three, and just basing your opinions on what others think.
    Its not an opinion that the ps3 and xbox one sold miserably at launch which he was responsible for. I dont know what youre trying to argue

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Have fun trying to prove anyway that it isn't a failure.
    Keep showing how blatantly dishonest you are about posting.

It would have to exist to be good.
    That's a bold claim that there is no advertising at all for the Stadia. Bold, and wrong. But as above, you've shown honesty isn't really part of your posting style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not an opinion that the ps3 and xbox one sold miserably at launch which he was responsible for. I dont know what youre trying to argue
    The PS3 and Xbox One sold poorly for different reasons. The PS3 was expensive, costing $500-$600 while the Xbox 360 was $400. Probably because the overpriced Blu-Ray technology made it expensive. The Xbox One's mistakes were costing $500 because it included the Kinect and was going to prevent the resale of used games. I feel that Phil Harrison wasn't responsible for these decisions. For the PS3 it sounds like Sony was trying to promote Blu-Ray technology by including it with the PS3, which was an expensive mistake as Blu-Ray players were costing nearly $1k. Considering that Sony developed Blu-Ray technology this seemed more of a fault of the company overall. The Xbox One's mistakes seemed more like Microsoft being disconnected from the players and maybe even had an underhanded dealing with Sony where both the PS4 and XB1 were going to prevent the resale of used games. Sony backed away from the deal and took Microsoft by surprise. Why else would Microsoft attempt to do something so stupid when Sony is their competitor?

Considering how many companies are circle jerking for cloud gaming, I don't think Phil Harrison is alone. We should include Jensen Huang the CEO of Nvidia as well as Kaz Hirai the current CEO of Sony, as both Geforce Now and PS Now don't have anywhere near as much customers as Nokia's NGage has sold. Just because companies want something to happen doesn't mean it will. Cloud gaming was never meant to happen, but just like putting lead in gasoline they'll want it, even if it isn't to your best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The PS3 and Xbox One sold poorly for different reasons. The PS3 was expensive, costing $500-$600 while the Xbox 360 was $400. Probably because the overpriced Blu-Ray technology made it expensive. The Xbox One's mistakes were costing $500 because it included the Kinect and was going to prevent the resale of used games. I feel that Phil Harrison wasn't responsible for these decisions. For the PS3 it sounds like Sony was trying to promote Blu-Ray technology by including it with the PS3, which was an expensive mistake as Blu-Ray players were costing nearly $1k. Considering that Sony developed Blu-Ray technology this seemed more of a fault of the company overall. The Xbox One's mistakes seemed more like Microsoft being disconnected from the players and maybe even had an underhanded dealing with Sony where both the PS4 and XB1 were going to prevent the resale of used games. Sony backed away from the deal and took Microsoft by surprise. Why else would Microsoft attempt to do something so stupid when Sony is their competitor?

Considering how many companies are circle jerking for cloud gaming, I don't think Phil Harrison is alone. We should include Jensen Huang the CEO of Nvidia as well as Kaz Hirai the current CEO of Sony, as both Geforce Now and PS Now don't have anywhere near as much customers as Nokia's NGage has sold. Just because companies want something to happen doesn't mean it will. Cloud gaming was never meant to happen, but just like putting lead in gasoline they'll want it, even if it isn't to your best interests.
    The PS3 being expensive wasn't the only reason it bombed at the start, it was the complete and total lack of games as well as multiplatform games running worse on the PS3 because devs where allowed to not use the cell GPU processing and just use the weak ass 7800 for awhile. All decisions that go back to Harrison as he was in charge of software for SCE(what SIE became) at the time.

Remember the PS3 has no game meme? It wasn't really a meme it was true for awhile lol...

PS3 really didn't have a worthwhile game until 2 whole freaking years after it's launch. It was also a year behind the 360 in getting to the market which didn't help matters either.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a bold claim that there is no advertising at all for the Stadia. Bold, and wrong. But as above, you've shown honesty isn't really part of your posting style.
    Lets see the stellar marketing from Stadia then.

You can either put your money where your mouth is or put your foot into your mouth, your choice. We all know there is really only 1 option here though... I'm literally giving you the telltale games classic of choice that isn't really a choice because it's terrible and you can't prove otherwise.

Actually I'm quite bored so lemme destroy you for a moment with simple youtube numbers. Stadia launch trailer: 301k views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry72b_fIKAk Shenmue 3 launch trailer: almost 12 million views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-qaRNywxM Stadia trailer was put up on the 19th, Shenmue trailer was put up on the 20th.

Shenmue 3 is a niche as fuck game, not even highly praised or anything and more(ridiculously waaaaay more to be exact) people have eyes on it then Stadia. You really can't make up your wild bs claims, please don't bother replying we're definitely done here lol.

Let me guess you're gonna copout that epic is pushing it? Then let me say this, if Epic is pushing a niche as hell game way, way, way harder then Google is pushing their new AAA gaming cloud service what does that say about the marketing? That it is complete shit, case closed.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-02 at 05:11 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

It doesnt matter why, just that they sold terribly under his employment there, and that 3 makes a pattern. Hopefully they dont hire this guy to launch astronauts next

So you're arguing specifically on sales?

Do you want another argument then?

Ok sure, both the PS3 and Xbox One had shitty games at launch, and had inferior performance to their competitors.

Both the PS3 and Xbox One where more expensive at launch then their competitors.

Oh and in case you missed the point, but blew chunks at launch and it's why their sales where bad in the first place.

What does Google Stadia have in common?

Well...

Shit launch lineup.
    Bad performance.
    Expensive as hell to sub and buy games.

If you believe in coincidences this large well you're weird- Phil Harrison you're the common factor and likely had a lot to do with all of this.

At the end of the say though it's really an insult to compare the PS3 and Xbox One to Stadia though, even in the realm of failures PS3 and Xbox One are the 9-7 NFL team that misses the playoff and Stadia is the 0-16 Lions. You really outdid yourself this time Phil. A better comparison to Stadia would be the 3DO or other shitty 90's platforms that bombed so hard almost no one knew they existed.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-02 at 05:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well they were both terrible consoles at launch anyway. Cell was terrible and caused so many problems for developers, huge price tag, ugly spiderman font, psn was pretty bad. xbone lol everything in their reveal even and kinect, awful vcr design. Stadia, lag, over heating chromecasts, false advertisements, no games, whatever the fuck they were thinking with that controller, needing a phone app for settings. All sold like shit. But I gotta say, his egg shaped head looks smooth as butter

Lets see the stellar marketing from Stadia then.

You can either put your money where your mouth is or put your foot into your mouth, your choice. We all know there is really only 1 option here though... I'm literally giving you the telltale games classic of choice that isn't really a choice because it's terrible and you can't prove otherwise.

Actually I'm quite bored so lemme destroy you for a moment with simple youtube numbers. Stadia launch trailer: 301k views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry72b_fIKAk Shenmue 3 launch trailer: almost 12 million views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-qaRNywxM Stadia trailer was put up on the 19th, Shenmue trailer was put up on the 20th.
    Congratulations on showing that you did in fact, lie. It's like arguing with a child.

Let me guess you're gonna copout that epic is pushing it? Then let me say this, if Epic is pushing a niche as hell game way, way, way harder then Google is pushing their new AAA gaming cloud service what does that say about the marketing? That it is complete shit, case closed.
    No, you're going to keep trying to put words into my mouth that I didn't say, or quote completely out of context since you can't seem to have an actual honest conversation.

I've already said that in order to judge if the product is a pass/fail, or the marketing is pass/fail you need to know what the actual intentions and target market for the product. If Stadia is trying to target the hardcore FPS gamer who wants 4k games then yes, they failed all around. If Stadia is trying to target the casual gamer on the go, most reviews are saying that for mid level graphics and mid level internet, things work fine. It's almost like context matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Well they were both terrible consoles at launch anyway. Cell was terrible and caused so many problems for developers, huge price tag, ugly spiderman font, psn was pretty bad. xbone lol everything in their reveal even and kinect, awful vcr design. Stadia, lag, over heating chromecasts, false advertisements, no games, whatever the fuck they were thinking with that controller, needing a phone app for settings. All sold like shit. But I gotta say, his egg shaped head looks smooth as butter
    The only console I have from the current gen is the xbox one, and I've had no problems with it. I also didn't get it at launch. In its current form, I don't think you can argue it is a "bad" system from a hardware / operating perspective.

As for Stadia, few questions:
    1) What is wrong with the controller?
    2) Lag isn't a thing in every game, or all the time. Even bad reviews have stated as such. High end graphics and non-optimal internet, yes. Or is your complaint that there may be a chance of lag, makes it bad?
    3) Why is a phone app that big of a deal?
    4) No games. As I understand it, Stadia had 22 games at launch, and the PS4 had 26, Xbox One had 23. So is your threshold that anything less than 23 games is "no games"?
    5) Overheating / lying. The funny thing here, is all the reports of overheading come from streaming games for long periods of time at 4K, 60 FPS. I have also not seen people report their setups, either. Is the overheating problem ultimately a Stadia problem, or a Chromecast problem? (either way, would still be a Google problem)

I expect Stadia to be mediocre (as it has been so far), much like when Google launched their Pixel phone. What matters more is how they support it going forward, and what direction they plan to take it in.

Considering the Stadia isn't a loss leader like a console, it doesn't need to sell well in order for them to continue to support it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations on showing that you did in fact, lie. It's like arguing with a child.

No, you're going to keep trying to put words into my mouth that I didn't say, or quote completely out of context since you can't seem to have an actual honest conversation.

I've already said that in order to judge if the product is a pass/fail, or the marketing is pass/fail you need to know what the actual intentions and target market for the product. If Stadia is trying to target the hardcore FPS gamer who wants 4k games then yes, they failed all around. If Stadia is trying to target the casual gamer on the go, most reviews are saying that for mid level graphics and mid level internet, things work fine. It's almost like context matters.

- - - Updated - - -

The only console I have from the current gen is the xbox one, and I've had no problems with it. I also didn't get it at launch. In its current form, I don't think you can argue it is a "bad" system from a hardware / operating perspective.

2) Lag isn't a thing in every game, or all the time. Even bad reviews have stated as such. High end graphics and non-optimal internet, yes. Or is your complaint that there may be a chance of lag, makes it bad?
    4) No games. As I understand it, Stadia had 22 games at launch, and the PS4 had 26, Xbox One had 23. So is your threshold that anything less than 23 games is "no games"?
    5) Overheating / lying. The funny thing here, is all the reports of overheading come from streaming games for long periods of time at 4K, 60 FPS. I have also not seen people report their setups, either. Is the overheating problem ultimately a Stadia problem, or a Chromecast problem? (either way, would still be a Google problem)

I expect Stadia to be mediocre (as it has been so far), much like when Google launched their Pixel phone. What matters more is how they support it going forward, and what direction they plan to take it in.

Considering the Stadia isn't a loss leader like a console, it doesn't need to sell well in order for them to continue to support it.
    Og xbone is pretty bad with extremely weak hardware and its os is still the worst os ive ever had to use.

1)Hard to open and repair. They had to use a buzzsaw to get it open
    2)Yes lag in video games make them unplayable
    3)Not having settings in your os is frankly unacceptable
    4)All old games nobody cares about or have played and wont ever get any must have exclusives
    5)It's not funny or acceptable for a company to ship a mandatory product needed to use your hardware and have it overheat because its not even meant for what you're shipping it for. And its a chrome cast problem which has been reported for years

Like we keep saying google has killed several products so dont be surprised if this just shuts down one day. And you cant even play the games that you had to buy lol.

If they had just made this a normal 400 dollar console with a netflix style sub and i could download and run games natively with a 2 tb hdd, clean switch-like os, good controller and shown/launched with some good exclusives, i woulda been all over this thing
    Last edited by Video Games; 2019-12-02 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PS3 being expensive wasn't the only reason it bombed at the start, it was the complete and total lack of games as well as multiplatform games running worse on the PS3 because devs where allowed to not use the cell GPU processing and just use the weak ass 7800 for awhile. All decisions that go back to Harrison as he was in charge of software for SCE(what SIE became) at the time.
    I don't know which was more powerful, the SPE's in the Cell chip or the Nvidia GPU, but I'm inclined to believe the Nvidia GPU was far more faster considering how many complaints there was programming the Cell. My opinion is that Sony wanted the Cell CPU to be also like a GPU and the SPE's would have been part of that GPU setup, but then Sony saw that Microsoft went with ATI for 3D graphics and quickly had to turn around and use Nvidia for 3D graphics instead of whatever Sony was working on in house. Whatever Sony was working on for graphics probably would have paled to Nvidia's technology. Interesting fact but Lisa Su the current CEO of AMD had worked on the Cell CPU.

A lot of games for the PS3 didn't make use of the SPE's because the extra effort wasn't worth the payout in most cases. Even the Xbox 360 had most of its games using just one of the three PowerPC cores as using them all was difficult as well. Not as difficult as the PS3's Cell, but programmers are going to take shortcuts when they can. This maybe the reason why the PS3 didn't have any good games until 2-3 years later.

Remember the PS3 has no game meme? It wasn't really a meme it was true for awhile lol...

PS3 really didn't have a worthwhile game until 2 whole freaking years after it's launch. It was also a year behind the 360 in getting to the market which didn't help matters either.
    Oh yes, I remember that meme. QUEUE THE MUSIC! I think the main thing here is that Sony wasn't prepared for what Microsoft was going to release, and it made Sony stumble hard. In the end the PS3 sold just as many units as the 360 did, and didn't have to contend with 50% of their units failing due to Red Ring of Death.

Shenmue 3 is a niche as fuck game, not even highly praised or anything and more(ridiculously waaaaay more to be exact) people have eyes on it then Stadia. You really can't make up your wild bs claims, please don't bother replying we're definitely done here lol.

There's always the possibility that the product just sells itself, and Cloud Gaming is a terrible idea for most gamers? Take for example Nvidia's trailer for Geforce Now and it has only accuminlated 169k in views. How about Sony's PS Now advert that has an amazing 342k views? Now we take the PS4's trailer from 2013 which has 2.5million views. Here's Nvidia RTX trailer that shows off Ray-Tracing at 1.35 million views.

Kinda just looks like to me that no gamer likes the idea of using Cloud Gaming, and that the target audience is far too small to give it any real attention. Could it be that gamers don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to access games they paid for that plays and looks worse than Grandma's old Dell with a Core2Duo in it? Nah, lets keep imagining that the average gamer that this service is for is too stupid to want instant low latency action.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't be used on PC. I get the controller is meant to work with Stadia, but maybe some people might want to use it for games on Steam or Epic?
    Anything with 100ms or higher is going to have a bad feel to it, and Stadia isn't going to ever get better than 150ms as shown by Gamers Nexus.
    Don't you all have phones? Nintendo made the same mistake with the Switch, using a phone app to talk to players. It's lazy and shows a lack of giving a shit.
    You do realize that Stadia is bumming off PC gaming for its library? It did have 12 games at launch, and having 22 games is pathetic since some of them are rather old as well.

See Google Glasses for what's to come for Stadia.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-12-02 at 01:22 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I swear 9/10 adds on YouTube is for this damn system. Can’t wait for google to send it to the farm where google glasses end up

Og xbone is pretty bad with extremely weak hardware and its os is still the worst os ive ever had to use.
    What can't the Xbox One run?
    Why is the OS the worst?

1)Hard to open and repair. They had to use a buzzsaw to get it open
    How many controllers have you had to take apart historically to fix?

2)Yes lag in video games make them unplayable
    Untrue. Excessive lag makes them unplayable. Lag in online games exists for almost everyone. Very, very few people play with zero ping. As I have said previously though, most reviews have shown that if you have at least 15 Mbps speed internet that isn't congested, you

3)Not having settings in your os is frankly unacceptable
    I agree that it would be optimal, but considering a big part of the Stadia is the fact you can stream to your phone, this isn't a dealbreaker for me.

4)All old games nobody cares about or have played and wont ever get any must have exclusives
    There is no such thing as a must have exclusive. That is entirely subjective. Considering many of the games came out in 2019, I don't know how you can call them old. I guess Borderlands 3 has been out for 2 months. That's ancient.

5)It's not funny or acceptable for a company to ship a mandatory product needed to use your hardware and have it overheat because its not even meant for what you're shipping it for. And its a chrome cast problem which has been reported for years
    Personally, I'd like to see actual test results of the issue, and not random Reditt posters. What's the temperature of the room they were in? Was the Chromecast somewhere it gets air flow? Anecdotally, I'm from Canada and this hasn't been a problem for any of my friends or family who use Chromecast as their primary viewing device. Personally I've never tried it.

Like we keep saying google has killed several products so dont be surprised if this just shuts down one day. And you cant even play the games that you had to buy lol.
    The same thing applies to many other things in life. Stadia is no different.

If they had just made this a normal 400 dollar console with a netflix style sub and i could download and run games natively with a 2 tb hdd, clean switch-like os, good controller and shown/launched with some good exclusives, i woulda been all over this thing
    I believe the whole point was to be different. Similar reason as to why Nintendo isn't just a clone of Xbox / PS. If it was "just another console" I would never consider buying it. I would also rather not have another system with exclusives, as that will just mean more exclusives that I don't play. Look at the shitstorm that people threw over Epic's launcher (which is free) having exclusives, and you think it is a good for the consumer for there to be another $400 platform with exclusives?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of unfortunate kids are going to get this for Christmas aren't they

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A lot of unfortunate kids are going to get this for Christmas aren't they
    Parents would have to know it exists to buy it for them.

Literally no one outside of the core gamer crowd knows stadia exists, and they only know it exists because they're laughing at it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know which was more powerful, the SPE's in the Cell chip or the Nvidia GPU, but I'm inclined to believe the Nvidia GPU was far more faster considering how many complaints there was programming the Cell. My opinion is that Sony wanted the Cell CPU to be also like a GPU and the SPE's would have been part of that GPU setup, but then Sony saw that Microsoft went with ATI for 3D graphics and quickly had to turn around and use Nvidia for 3D graphics instead of whatever Sony was working on in house. Whatever Sony was working on for graphics probably would have paled to Nvidia's technology. Interesting fact but Lisa Su the current CEO of AMD had worked on the Cell CPU.
    The 7800 was only there for supplemental power, it was never meant to be the primary GPU and this is evidence by the 2nd half of the PS3s life when devs finally stopped trying to use it as such and the PS3 started out performing the 360 in multiplatform games and the PS3 exclusives where running laps around the 360 ones in graphical fidelity.

Compare GTA4 and RDR(pre RAGE engine optimized for Cell) to Max Payne 3 GTAV(post RAGE being optimized for Cell) there is literally no comparison. The 360 was far better at rendering GTA4 and RDR and the PS3 absolutely smoked the 360 in rendering MP3 and GTAV.

As for the Cell being hard to program for dude, no shit that's the entire point.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-02 at 08:15 PM.

Can't be used on PC. I get the controller is meant to work with Stadia, but maybe some people might want to use it for games on Steam or Epic?
    This seems more like a nice to have than a must have.

Anything with 100ms or higher is going to have a bad feel to it, and Stadia isn't going to ever get better than 150ms as shown by Gamers Nexus.
    Everything is relative. If you play all the time at 100-150 ms latency, you won't notice it. If you swap back and forth between the two, then you will. Your 150ms comment is flat out incorrect though. the Gamers Nexus video shows Thumper, Tomb Raider and Metro coming in sub 150 ms (on PC browser). Even on Crhomecast, they don't say it won't ever get better, they show that it was above 150 ms. They explicitly state they thing some things could be done on Google's end to

Don't you all have phones? Nintendo made the same mistake with the Switch, using a phone app to talk to players. It's lazy and shows a lack of giving a shit.
    Everyone does have phones, and that fact likely won't change anytime soon.

You do realize that Stadia is bumming off PC gaming for its library? It did have 12 games at launch, and having 22 games is pathetic since some of them are rather old as well.
    It initially announced 12, and then bumped it to 22. So when it launched, it had 22. I can go back to XBO and PS4 and list some of their shitty launch games too. This is a pretty petty item to nitpick.

I hope that Stadia copies all PC gaming for its library. I don't want it to have exclusives. Personally, I hate them. Why is it a bad thing they are bumming off PC gaming for its library?

It initially announced 12, and then bumped it to 22. So when it launched, it had 22. I can go back to XBO and PS4 and list some of their shitty launch games too. This is a pretty petty item to nitpick.
    3 of the 22 games released in 2019. Only 2 released within a month of Stadia(Just Dance being one lmao) lets not compare it to the XBO or PS4 launches, because it's just a bunch of old games.

I hope that Stadia copies all PC gaming for its library. I don't want it to have exclusives. Personally, I hate them. Why is it a bad thing they are bumming off PC gaming for its library?
    You're just always wrong I guess eh? Cause it has Samurai Showdown as an exclusive, which you can't play on PC in any other way.(and lmfao if anyone actually tries to play a fighting game on Stadia). GYLT is also an exclusive, a true exclusive even because unlike Samurai Showdown which is on PS4 as well GYLT is only on Stadia. Please google before you post dude, this makes about 300 times you have been wrong in this thread.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-02 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Are you saying it's impossible to play CoD multiplayer because there's latency? What technical reality are you talking about?

Don't be obtuse. Clearly it's not about PvP. But the PvE campaign. Mobs/Bosses are calculated on the client - so there's no latency. But if they were calculated on the server - there would've been latency, critical to your survival.

No one is selling it to you. You are not the target audience.
    Please tell me who the target audience is then.

And one of the top advertised games by Stadia was Destiny 2 which requires really good connection (base game is already free and has been out for a long time). But you can't even play with other users on PC. You are stuck with playing with other users on Stadia.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-02 at 10:16 PM.