Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
21
22
LastLast
  1. #381
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,989
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    The problem with Stadia is if one lives in a country with shit internet...
    Such as the United States of America.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  2. #382
    Maybe a renting service stream a game for a week for X price then be done with it.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

  3. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Maybe a renting service stream a game for a week for X price then be done with it.
    Sony been there and tried that a half decade ago with PS Now, they dropped it in favor of just a sub price for 100s of games for a reason.

  4. #384
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    But Google says that ISPs will increase speeds and data caps because of Stadia! Which is really, really funny...
    If only Google offered a competing internet service that ran off Fiber optics that could force competing ISPs to upgrade and remove data caps. They could call it Google Optics or something.

  5. #385
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    If only Google offered a competing internet service that ran off Fiber optics that could force competing ISPs to upgrade and remove data caps. They could call it Google Optics or something.
    And how's that rollout going..?
    Old ISPs put a stop to that as fast as they could in order to not have to improve their own product

  6. #386
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And how's that rollout going..?
    Old ISPs put a stop to that as fast as they could in order to not have to improve their own product
    That's why Google is in no position to complain when Stadia doesn't have the infrastructure needed just to barely function, and why any confidence in Stadia is lost when they couldn't even roll out Google Fiber everywhere.

  7. #387
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    If you knew you would run the other way.
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Such as the United States of America.
    And Australia as well, we would be way behind the US.. Our government has been spending billions on a hodgepodge of fibre, copper, WiFi and satellite.. And we are still behind the rest of the world.. lol

  8. #388
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    That's why Google is in no position to complain when Stadia doesn't have the infrastructure needed just to barely function, and why any confidence in Stadia is lost when they couldn't even roll out Google Fiber everywhere.
    Just making sure we agreed on that.

  9. #389
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    FYI, you don't own shit on Steam, if steam goes - your game collection goes, unless they specifically let you transfer it off steam or it's some Uplay/Origin game that you can access there, but when they go... you will have to pirate the game to continue playing it - which you will be justified to do - but that's beside the point.
    Steam is to big to fail.
    Valve has to many valuable ''assets'' not to be a interesting buy for major publishers or companies like apple and google who are trying toe enter into gaming.

  10. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Steam is to big to fail.
    Valve has to many valuable ''assets'' not to be a interesting buy for major publishers or companies like apple and google who are trying toe enter into gaming.
    Blockbuster was too big to fail
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2020 - that's two-zero-two-zero, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

  11. #391
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,989
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    And Australia as well, we would be way behind the US.. Our government has been spending billions on a hodgepodge of fibre, copper, WiFi and satellite.. And we are still behind the rest of the world.. lol
    Now imagine if it were a bunch of corporations, that had divided up the country and agreed to not compete with each other. That's 'merica. There is often only a single choice in internet providers, they don't improve, because they have no reason to. It's not like we can go to their competitors, because they don't have one.

    In conclusion, Stadia won't work for most people and for those it does work it seems to not work well. On top of that you're paying a monthly subscription price and often above full retail price for the games. Then when Google decides to pack it in, your games go away with Stadia. Compared to XCloud, it seems like a really bad platform. Sure, XCloud is still in beta. But frankly so is Stadia, Google just chose to charge people for it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  12. #392
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    If you knew you would run the other way.
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Now imagine if it were a bunch of corporations, that had divided up the country and agreed to not compete with each other. That's 'merica. There is often only a single choice in internet providers, they don't improve, because they have no reason to. It's not like we can go to their competitors, because they don't have one.

    In conclusion, Stadia won't work for most people and for those it does work it seems to not work well. On top of that you're paying a monthly subscription price and often above full retail price for the games. Then when Google decides to pack it in, your games go away with Stadia. Compared to XCloud, it seems like a really bad platform. Sure, XCloud is still in beta. But frankly so is Stadia, Google just chose to charge people for it.
    Yikes that is bad, and I thought we had it bad here is Oz.. We three have major players when it come to internet, Telstra, Optus and TPG.. There are a few minor players but not enough to make a difference..

    And that is the main sticking point, if Google bin Stadia there would be a lot of really pissed of people who lost money.. I just think that yes Stadia is garbage and I don't see it lasting long, as we all know that Google do not stick with things for long (Google Glass)..

    If I was to get something like this then I would go for the one that Microsoft has (PC Game Pass), you pay a subscription and get a bunch of games in the cost of that sub..

    Either way it will be interesting to see how long Stadia lasts..

  13. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Now imagine if it were a bunch of corporations, that had divided up the country and agreed to not compete with each other. That's 'merica. There is often only a single choice in internet providers, they don't improve, because they have no reason to. It's not like we can go to their competitors, because they don't have one.
    this is more or less my situation. where i live in theory I have 3 options. satellite, Verizon dsl (regular, not fios) and cable company. first 2 are not even really an option due to datacaps AND slow speeds, so i'm stuck with my cable company, paying $100 a month for my internet, because alternatives are that much worse. I was actualy surprised recently when they removed data caps for my plan, while also reducing the cost ($100 is AFTER reduction, it used to cost me $130). becasue i immediately went looking if new isp is in town, or Verizon finally bothered to add fios to our area, but couldn't find anything. but i'm still convinced that i'm missing something here, because companies here don't improve service while dropping prices like that for no reason. (am I cynical? yes. yes i am. I think most US residents will agree that when it comes to ISP companies, I have a good reason to be cynical)

    but anyways, yeah, Stadia has uphill battle to fight due to infrastructure alone, and their added costs do not help at all.

  14. #394
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    FYI, you don't own shit on Steam, if steam goes - your game collection goes, unless they specifically let you transfer it off steam or it's some Uplay/Origin game that you can access there, but when they go... you will have to pirate the game to continue playing it - which you will be justified to do - but that's beside the point.
    Strawman arguments and slippery slope fallacies don't make Stadia look any better. It has ALL the issues you mention, and in fact is at MUCH MUCH greater risk for them. Especially since Valve has stated many times they have a backup plan to let everyone keep their games if for some bizarre reason they did go under.

  15. #395
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    FYI, you don't own shit on Steam, if steam goes - your game collection goes, unless they specifically let you transfer it off steam or it's some Uplay/Origin game that you can access there, but when they go... you will have to pirate the game to continue playing it - which you will be justified to do - but that's beside the point.
    I can if I choose, download my steam library off line and play it whenever regardless of if steam goes offline or not. Excepting of course those with third party installers and DRM. But that's not really a steam issue...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  16. #396
    Wow, wonderful work! keep it up

  17. #397
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Blockbuster was too big to fail
    No it wasn't.
    Blockbuster didn't have any asset worth buying when it failed, a company like Valve and Netflix has so much user data that they don't need that these companies don't need to make a profit.

    As long as gaming exist Valve is safe one, sure there might be some other company that kills of Valve but then you will always find a buyer.

  18. #398
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,527
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No it wasn't.
    Blockbuster didn't have any asset worth buying when it failed, a company like Valve and Netflix has so much user data that they don't need that these companies don't need to make a profit.
    The death of BlockBuster was a mixer of Netflix and piracy, and piracy was always eating away at the heels of BlockBuster as far back as when Divx was this underground video codec that could only do fast motion or slow motion video encoding capabilities. Netflix shifted people away from Blockbuster, but so did the overpriced Blu-Ray format that cost $1k for the player and $60 per movie.
    As long as gaming exist Valve is safe one, sure there might be some other company that kills of Valve but then you will always find a buyer.
    The only thing that'll kill Valve is another Valve, like Epic. Valve had stopped making games for such a long time that when Epic finally had a hit game called Fortnite, they used their new found popularity to push their store. So long as Valve can count to three they won't be going anywhere. Some of the most popular games are played on Steam, like PUBG, CS:GO, DOTA2, and etc.

  19. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Blockbuster was too big to fail
    My dude is shameless now with the arguing in bad faith.

    He has nothing else to backup why Stadia is DA FUHTAH and now he is running out of apples to oranges comparisons that he is bringing blockbuster of all things into the discussion? Yikes.

  20. #400
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    My dude is shameless now with the arguing in bad faith.

    He has nothing else to backup why Stadia is DA FUHTAH and now he is running out of apples to oranges comparisons that he is bringing blockbuster of all things into the discussion? Yikes.
    Well every single one of his arguments in favor of Stadia are either strawman, slippery slope, or false dichotomy fallacies so...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •