Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do i pull trigger on this PSU?

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-arc-...Ha.fDk2OlXgK5w

PSU pricing has been kinda high lately, this is the first 500+w bronze rated unit with black cables for <40 for months. How likely is it to find a better deal on black friday ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Rosewill? Really?
    I mean all manufactures use a handful of OEM's, this one is mid tier probably slightly above EVGA's low end bronze units. Its just for 38 bucks nothing comes close atm.

Plus 41 amps on 12v rail it will run any single GPU card. Also rosewill has been in the PSU game longer than most on the market believe it or not, first PC I put together in ~2001 had a rosewill psu lol.

My whole deal is i dont wanna see black friday roll around and find an evga g3 go on sale for the same price, ya know? WTB nostradamus.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-11-19 at 11:40 PM.

Seasonic or Super Flower... or bust my friend. Unless you buy a Platinum rated one from a different OEM.

You really shouldn't go below 80+ gold rated. It's only extra $30-50 for the peace of mind that your system will not get randomly fucked. PSU is probably the worst place to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    You really shouldn't go below 80+ gold rated. It's only extra $30-50 for the peace of mind that your system will not get randomly fucked. PSU is probably the worst place to save money.
    Except it isn't that at all.

Gold rating is simply an efficiency rating.

It has literally NOTHING to do with quality.

There are gold rated PSUs that are total garbage. There are Platinum PSUs that aren't worth the cost of shipping.

Oh i probably shoulda mentioned, this is going in a system with a used rx 570 and a ryzen 3 1200.

So ya, definitely looking for budget parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to show how bad PSU's are priced atm:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/po...t=price&page=1

Thats bronze and gold psu's checked.

if you want cheap, get a corsair, I've had a few over the years and they've been fantastic

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-se...82E16817139147

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    That's $30-50 bucks wasted.

Gold rating is probably the worst place to save money. It offers virtually.. nothing, for more cost.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's $30-50 bucks wasted.

Gold rating is probably the worst place to save money. It offers virtually.. nothing, for more cost.
    Depends on each model of PSU. Some bronze are shit, some gold are shit, some bronze are good, some gold are good.

And gold rating offers like, a 5-8% efficiency improvement. That's like, a whole 10c a year you save.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rosewill ARC is absolute shit-tier PSU's. Don't buy it.

The lowest budget PSU I'd go is the Corsair CX (2017 or newer models) or CXM (2015 or newer models). Saving 5-10$ for something that is significantly worse in every way is just madness.

I have had really bad luck with Rosewill PSU's in my older budget builds and friends builds we have put together (I admit they were a while back but people here seem to make me think this has continued). It might just me but I avoid them as much as possible. Pretty sure their low price is because they take the low bin from the manufacturer. Although, if you need it and it is all you can afford then it makes sense.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone needs to sticky a post for a thousand years in bold at the top of the subforum stating that there's a difference between a reseller and an OEM platform (90% of the time). Folks who simply say Rosewill is bad need to realize that they're just the reseller who slap their logo on to a product from one of several OEM manufactured platforms and that, because of this, they are capable of releasing both stinkers and nice models just like nearly every other reseller. It's still more complex than that but it's a good place to start.

For example, their entire Capstone (non-G) series use SuperFlower which are pretty solid and, to a lesser extent, their Photon series by Sirtec are about as okay as one can get without taking price in to consideration.

The problem with Rosewill is that it seems as though they've shifted away from higher quality OEM platforms and are focused on flooding the low-end of the market. I don't think the Lightning, Fortress, Tachyon and Quark are even in production anymore whereas now it seems like they're willing to cannibalize their own low-end sector with the ARC, Glacier and Valens in an already crowded market where better options can exist.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-11-20 at 03:09 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Someone needs to sticky a post for a thousand years in bold at the top of the subforum stating that there's a difference between a reseller and an OEM platform (90% of the time). Folks who simply say Rosewill is bad need to realize that they're just the reseller who slap their logo on to a product from one of several OEM manufactured platforms and that, because of this, they are capable of releasing both stinkers and nice models just like nearly every other reseller. It's still more complex than that but it's a good place to start.

For example, their entire Capstone (non-G) series use SuperFlower which are pretty solid and, to a lesser extent, their Photon series by Sirtec are about as okay as one can get without taking price in to consideration.

The problem with Rosewill is that it seems as though they've shifted away from higher quality OEM platforms and are focused on flooding the low-end of the market. I don't think the Lightning, Fortress, Tachyon and Quark are even in production anymore whereas now it seems like they're willing to cannibalize their own low-end sector with the ARC, Glacier and Valens in an already crowded market where better options can exist.
    Don't know how reliable this site is: https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_...s/Page2917.htm but it seems at least Tachyon and Fortress are still in production

That arc i linked is still in production as well given it has been updated with all black cabling. I didn't buy it yet because i still need a few more parts and with black friday so close its probably smart to wait, although i woulda been ok with this unit at 38 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That arc i linked is still in production as well given it has been updated with all black cabling. I didn't buy it yet because i still need a few more parts and with black friday so close its probably smart to wait, although i woulda been ok with this unit at 38 bucks.
    Did some digging and the unit you're looking at (Arc-550w) hasn't been reviewed, but the reviews of other units on the same platform are looking really bad. Some are claiming it can't even do it's rated amount of wattage

15+ Year Old Account
    I had problems with my last PSU which happened to be Rosewill HIVE. When I first made my build, it refused to power up my system, I had to like yank the main power out of the board and keep replugging forcefully until the damn thing worked. Fast forward to recently when prices of 1080s finally dropped. I swap in my 1080, low and behold, the stupid PSU doesn't want to boot up anymore.

I said eff that, I'm not screwing around with this piece of junk, not even gonna begin to bother, immediately threw it in the trash and just bit the bullet and drove up to Bestbuy for a Corsair unit. I wasn't about to wait. Plus that Rosewill was going on 5 years, it was begging for replacement anyhow.

TL;DR: had problems with Rosewill HIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Did some digging and the unit you're looking at (Arc-550w) hasn't been reviewed, but the reviews of other units on the same platform are looking really bad. Some are claiming it can't even do it's rated amount of wattage
    TBH just from looking at it i know its better than something like EVGA's low tier bronze PSU's, you can just tell by looking through the rear mesh that it has beefier components. That said of course its not going to rank up there with gold rated units like G3's, but i bet you its at least on par with seasonics focus M12II, but slightly below corsairs cxm.

This is one of the best selling psu's on the market and its light as as feather, i wouldnt pair it with anything more than a rx 570 and 65w ryzen chip
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GQX...100-bt-0450-k1

Guaranteed this rosewill arc is better than that.

Oh i probably shoulda mentioned, this is going in a system with a used rx 570 and a ryzen 3 1200.

So ya, definitely looking for budget parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to show how bad PSU's are priced atm:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/po...t=price&page=1

Thats bronze and gold psu's checked.
    Doesn't matter. Don't get a cheap PSU.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...psu-tier-list/
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH just from looking at it i know its better than something like EVGA's low tier bronze PSU's, you can just tell by looking through the rear mesh that it has beefier components. That said of course its not going to rank up there with gold rated units like G3's, but i bet you its at least on par with seasonics focus M12II, but slightly below corsairs cxm.

This is one of the best selling psu's on the market and its light as as feather, i wouldnt pair it with anything more than a rx 570 and 65w ryzen chip
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GQX...100-bt-0450-k1

Guaranteed this rosewill arc is better than that.
    Again, gold/bronze rated doesn't mean it's a better unit, just means it's more efficient.
    The reviews I found said the model you were looking at has fucking trash-tier construction and components. Doesn't matter that it's better than another shit PSU if it's still shit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Doesn't matter. Don't get a cheap PSU.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...psu-tier-list/
    That's the old list, here's the updated one: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ist-40-rev-50/ (But it doesn't have the ARC listed)
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-11-20 at 08:33 PM.

Buy 2, because when this one breaks you can install the 2nd.