Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But there's no proof that it changed manufacturer or platform. Please find me anywhere it says the rosewill arc is made on another platform, because I cannot find it ANYWHERE
    A few things:

Its haswell certified, something that the original model did not have.
    It now comes with fully black cables (not something a manufacturer does with old designs often)
    It has a full 3 year warranty (previous was 2 years)

All of these things suggest a redesign over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah if they rebadge shit-tier parts they'll be treated as if they're shit-tier parts.

Some of their stuff is nice, this isn't one of them though, at least from what I can find online.

I have backed up my point of view, your stance so far is that things can change, with no proof that this one has. Oh, and that it's going in a garbage PC anyway, so you don't really care.
    You dont have a point of view lol, you have a link from some random blowing up his PC on a windows 7 forum and a review of a coolmax unit from 2014 that is "based on the same unit" but isnt lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    A few things:

Its haswell certified, something that the original model did not have.
    It now comes with fully black cables (not something a manufacturer does with old designs often)
    It has a full 3 year warranty (previous was 2 years)

All of these things suggest a redesign over time.
    None of that suggests internal improvements.
    And every list I've found says it still uses that same platform, with no lists saying it has been changed.
    https://orionpsudb.com/platforms
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_a...s/Page2917.htm

- - - Updated - - -

You dont have a point of view lol, you have a link from some random blowing up his PC on a windows 7 forum and a review of a coolmax unit from 2014 that is "based on the same unit" but isnt lol?
    Where do you get that it's not the same platform? Aside from "time has passed"? What you said before has NOTHING to do with internals. You said Johnny Guru would review it well, I found a review based on the same platform, the only platform I can find it has ever been based on.

If you have any actual proof that it's based on another platform, please link it so I can find more modern reviews

None of that suggests internal improvements.
    And every list I've found says it still uses that same platform, with no lists saying it has been changed.
    https://orionpsudb.com/platforms
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_a...s/Page2917.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you get that it's not the same platform? Aside from "time has passed"? What you said before has NOTHING to do with internals. You said Johnny Guru would review it well, I found a review based on the same platform, the only platform I can find it has ever been based on.

If you have any actual proof that it's based on another platform, please link it so I can find more modern reviews
    The 2014 PSU you linked is a 500w unit for one, with 34a on the 12v rail. Right there says its not the same platform. You are confusing platform with OEM. Again not only can you not just go by the name on a PSU but the OEM's themselves have drastically varying quality. Even a PSU in the same series but different wattage can be an entirely different beast.

You are just not doing the thread any good with your old info and one off experiences you found on a windows 7 forum. I get that this isnt a widely used PSU nor am i suggesting people go out in droves to buy it, but in the current market 38 bucks was a really good deal for it to be used in a budget system. Your sensationalism with the "its going to kill your computer" nonsense is just not necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 2014 PSU you linked is a 500w unit for one, with 34a on the 12v rail. Right there says its not the same platform. You are confusing platform with OEM. Again not only can you not just go by the name on a PSU but the OEM's themselves have drastically varying quality. Even a PSU in the same series but different wattage can be an entirely different beast.

You are just not doing the thread any good with your old info and one off experiences you found on a windows 7 forum. I get that this isnt a widely used PSU nor am i suggesting people go out in droves to buy it, but in the current market 38 bucks was a really good deal for it to be used in a budget system. Your sensationalism with the "its going to kill your computer" nonsense is just not necessary.
    The Coolmax ZX-500, Rosewill Arc 450-650, and Nexus RX-6500 are all running on the ANTG ATM-B platform.
    A platform can have different wattage ratings while still being the same platform. I linked a review of the Coolmax ZX-500. You're talking about the Rosewill Arc 550. These are, from what I can find, running the same platform. Namely a fucking shit one.

And yes, if you're looking at the rebadged names, a PSU in the same series can swap OEM, but when you're looking at different retailers using the same OEM and the same platform, they will perform almost identically outside of maybe the fan and the warranty.
    And yes, my info is old, but there's nothing to say it's out dated. If you can find proof of that, please do link it. I'd gladly retrace my steps if you have actual proof that it's a new platform

And I'm not saying it WILL kill your PC, I'm saying that if the PSU dies, it will take something else with it. It's possible yours won't die, I'm just saying that I wouldn't take that risk.

i cannnot recommend buying a PSU for less than 70 bucks

Really basic guide on how to rate a PSU:

1) Platform. Most PSU vendors dont make their own PSUs, they order production based on OEM platforms. Most PSUs on the market use Seasonic (Seasonic, XFX, highend Corsair, highend bequiet!, EVGA, Antec (pretty sure it's mostly dead now, using some noname platforms)), Superflower (Superflower, EVGA), CWT (budget Corsair, Chieftec, Enermax, Thermaltake, etc, etc, aka the budget platform builder), FSP (they make good PSUs, but mostly for themselves), HEC (they build a lot of varying platforms, but they do have decent ones found in Fractal Design and bequiet! PSUs). Basically if the PSU is build on a newer SF/Seasonic/CWT platform given everything else is decent you have a good PSU. Otherwise it will vary. Obviously having DC-DC converter based platform is better than having group stabilization, but it's not a must - Seasonic S12II is still a very good PSU by present standards, even tho it has group stab and is made ages ago.

2) Components. Platforms are good, but there is often space to vary a lot of components to build a wide array of products based on the same platform, and/or save money. Controllers, caps, radiators, protective circuitry - you name it. Caps quality is the main limit for the longevity of the PSU, so good quality caps (japanese are considered best) of high operating temperature rated series is key here.

3) Build quality and fan. Sleeved cables are nice but if you, for example, dont sufficiently shield your modular cable connectors (or save on the caps on the addin PCB) you can very easily kill all of the benefits of your good platform. Fan is the second thing that limits the longevity of the PSU usually. It's easily replaced though.

- - - Updated - - -

rosewill is not a name i shy away from in a general sense
    You should tho.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2019-11-21 at 08:19 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    i cannnot recommend buying a PSU for less than 70 bucks
    Other than this year, you could easily find quality PSU's for under that number. That's why i made this thread, pricing is just awful right now. You cant just blanket recommend someone drop that kind of dollar on a PSU because it would be taking away too much in a budget build, 30 dollars is the difference between a rx 570 and 580, 512 gb ssd to 1tb, 8gb system memory to 16gb's or in some cases a drastic uptick in CPU performance.

But instead of that conversation i get people linking reviews on PSU's from 2014 and randoms on windows forums lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Really basic guide on how to rate a PSU:

1) Platform. Most PSU vendors dont make their own PSUs, they order production based on OEM platforms. Most PSUs on the market use Seasonic (Seasonic, XFX, highend Corsair, highend bequiet!, EVGA, Antec (pretty sure it's mostly dead now, using some noname platforms)), Superflower (Superflower, EVGA), CWT (budget Corsair, Chieftec, Enermax, Thermaltake, etc, etc, aka the budget platform builder), FSP (they make good PSUs, but mostly for themselves), HEC (they build a lot of varying platforms, but they do have decent ones found in Fractal Design and bequiet! PSUs). Basically if the PSU is build on a newer SF/Seasonic/CWT platform given everything else is decent you have a good PSU. Otherwise it will vary. Obviously having DC-DC converter based platform is better than having group stabilization, but it's not a must - Seasonic S12II is still a very good PSU by present standards, even tho it has group stab and is made ages ago.

2) Components. Platforms are good, but there is often space to vary a lot of components to build a wide array of products based on the same platform, and/or save money. Controllers, caps, radiators, protective circuitry - you name it. Caps quality is the main limit for the longevity of the PSU, so good quality caps (japanese are considered best) of high operating temperature rated series is key here.

3) Build quality and fan. Sleeved cables are nice but if you, for example, dont sufficiently shield your modular cable connectors (or save on the caps on the addin PCB) you can very easily kill all of the benefits of your good platform. Fan is the second thing that limits the longevity of the PSU usually. It's easily replaced though.

- - - Updated - - -

You should tho.
    You just wrote up all that just to contradict yourself at the end lol? Clearly you realize PSU's are not something you can generalize in a broad sense, so im not sure why you would say rosewill is someone you should blanket avoid. Its newegg's in house brand and they make a ton of quality products (well, most of it rebadged i assume). For budget builds i actually put them at the top for case design.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147295

Thats the best 30 dollar case on the market hands down, so popular you cant even buy it atm.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-11-21 at 08:28 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know how reliable this site is: https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_...s/Page2917.htm but it seems at least Tachyon and Fortress are still in production
    You're right! I was browsing this morning and saw a Tachyon on newegg.ca so they must still be floating around out in the wild.

Apparently the Capstone series moved from SuperFlower to Andyson some time last year which isn't an unusual practice. They did the same with the HIVE series where it was once a decent unit but then changed OEM and more or less quietly turfed the component quality so that list is likely a little outdated. Maybe the original platforms are no longer in production or Rosewill wanted to save a few bucks.

The PSU market is a rabbit hole.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know why this is a discussion.

The Rosewill ARC series is somewhere on a scale from bad to terrible. Hard to find exact reviews but that's what all the forum talk I've found implies based on the platform it's likely built on.

You can literally spend 5$ more for something like a Corsair CXM, which is a budget PSU but has a proven track record and many tests done and isn't likely to blow up on you or destroy any parts of the computer, and it's semi-modular as an added advantage. If you can't fit 5 fucking dollars into the budget then I don't really know what to say.

You just wrote up all that just to contradict yourself at the end lol? Clearly you realize PSU's are not something you can generalize in a broad sense, so im not sure why you would say rosewill is someone you should blanket avoid. Its newegg's in house brand and they make a ton of quality products (well, most of it rebadged i assume). For budget builds i actually put them at the top for case design.
    Because those PSUs are 1) based on a shitty platform 2) have shitty components in them 3) are build like a typical budget PSU (which is not good or bad, but considering points one and two does not make it a good product).

Thats the best 30 dollar case on the market hands down, so popular you cant even buy it atm.
    It's a typical budget case. It's decent yeah, but the reason it's popular is because it's cheap on the US market. Because it's a Newegg inhouse brand. Take any other market, this case is $50 (that's why it's only sold in US and Canada basically, just like most Rosewill stuff) and it's not competitive anymore. Stuff like Thermaltake H17 just crushes it.

There is nothing inherently bad about Rosewill, they just dont make good PSUs. And PSU is not something that you save money on when building for yourself, the bang for the buck approach doesnt work here.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2019-11-22 at 06:35 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Other than this year, you could easily find quality PSU's for under that number. That's why i made this thread, pricing is just awful right now. You cant just blanket recommend someone drop that kind of dollar on a PSU because it would be taking away too much in a budget build, 30 dollars is the difference between a rx 570 and 580, 512 gb ssd to 1tb, 8gb system memory to 16gb's or in some cases a drastic uptick in CPU performance.

But instead of that conversation i get people linking reviews on PSU's from 2014 and randoms on windows forums lol.

- - - Updated - - -

seems like you asked for advice and already have made up your mind.
    buying a cheap PSU will cost you money in the long run.
    and no
    there are NEVER good PSUs for less than 70 bucks.

and no
    Corsair CX (2017) is good. Seasonic S12II is good (yes, it's a group stabilization design, but I dont see anything wrong with it if you use good caps, which Seasonic does, unlike S12III), all FSP stuff is good, some bequiet! stuff is sub $70 and good (including modular and 80+ Gold). So yeah, that's wrong too.

and no
    I did not ask for advice lol, thats the problem with forums like this...

Read my OP, its about deals and how likely it is to find a better psu for cheaper on black friday.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not ask for advice lol,
    Title:
    Do i pull trigger on this PSU?
    OP:
    How likely is it to find a better deal on black friday ya think?
    Literally asking for advice.

Read my OP, its about deals and how likely it is to find a better psu for cheaper on black friday.
    Is also asking for advice, and we've advised you that it's a shit PSU that you shouldn't buy

Title:

OP:

Literally asking for advice.

Is also asking for advice, and we've advised you that it's a shit PSU that you shouldn't buy
    That's fair, but then the thread continued on to talk about things i didnt ask about one iota lol.

I asked about deals and black friday, not if the PSU in question was of sufficient quality for the sort of build im putting together.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm side note, the arc 650 AND 750 just went on sale for 39.99.

I dont need anywhere near a 62amp 12v rail but this is a deal i am NOT missing lol. I suggest you all do the same, its a 3 year warranty 750w, full black cables and nearing gold efficiency (88%) for under 40 bucks, no mail in rebate garbage. I seriously doubt we will see better on black friday or cyber monday given recent psu pricing.

Best thing about overbuying wattage on systems=always silent or near silent even under full loads. Glad i waited

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm one more rosewill unit just went on sale too, the lepton:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784B7ZWR...kCode=ogi&th=1

Only 500w but semi modular and gold certified for 44.99. Ugh wish we had more info on whats actually coming black friday.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-11-22 at 02:58 PM.

That's fair, but then the thread continued on to talk about things i didnt ask about one iota lol.

I asked about deals and black friday, not if the PSU in question was of sufficient quality for the sort of build im putting together.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm side note, the arc 650 AND 750 just went on sale for 39.99.

I dont need anywhere near a 62amp 12v rail but this is a deal i am NOT missing lol. I suggest you all do the same, its a 3 year warranty 750w, full black cables and nearing gold efficiency (88%) for under 40 bucks, no mail in rebate garbage. I seriously doubt we will see better on black friday or cyber monday given recent psu pricing.

Best thing about overbuying wattage on systems=always silent or near silent even under full loads. Glad i waited

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm one more rosewill unit just went on sale too, the lepton:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784B7ZWR...kCode=ogi&th=1

Only 500w but semi modular and gold certified for 44.99. Ugh wish we had more info on whats actually coming black friday.
    You asked if you should buy a PSU on sale. The answer is no. It doesnt matter how cheap it is and what the wattage is. It's not worth it if you value the other components in your PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You asked if you should buy a PSU on sale. The answer is no. It doesnt matter how cheap it is and what the wattage is. It's not worth it if you value the other components in your PC.
    The 750w version is based on another platform. The 450-650 are based on the ATNG ATM-B platform, which is fucking dogshit and should be thrown out. The 750W is based on the ATNG ATA-B platform which also isn't good, but it's not awful.

lol you guys are gonna love this, i decided to go ultra cheap:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681114...-317-_-Product

Cant buy this case without the PSU and i really like the layout so i pulled the trigger. Now the question is how much GPU can it handle with a 28amp (or is it 29a, hard to read the picture) 12v rail? Id like to go rx 570 but id drop down to a gtx 1650 super or 1060 if i had to, just that rx cards are so cheap on ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm interesting:
    https://www.rosewill.com/product/fbm...-power-supply/

According to that page this PSU is supposed to be 30a 12 rail and 80+ white certified, the one on the newegg pic shows different. If i get it and it has the lesser supply im gonna phone them up and see if they will send me out one of those RD 400 z's.

dont hate on rosewill. i've had rosewill capstone power supplies that live up to the score that jonnyguru gave them. all comes down to the oem. some of them going on 8 years, working great.

anyways, wouldnt worry too terribly about quality (keep it in the back of your mind though) at the lower spectrum of power. it's more important at higher powers since ripple and regulation can get magnified when pushing closer to the rated limit of the psu under actual high load scenarios

- - - Updated - - -

doubtful they would send you a new psu for free like that

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one ever seems to care about the quality of the part that literally CONVERTS ELECTRICITY for your ENTIRE computer.
    If the PSU dies, the WHOLE COMPUTER could very well go with it. When my motherboard died earlier this year... that's the only part that died. I have not been able to test the CPU, but it probably still works, but it's an i7-5820K from over 5 years ago, so I am not too worried about it.

Imagine your drives, your GPU, your motherboard, CPU, RAM... all of that going.

Don't buy cheap unless you don't give a damn.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water