Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ohio raised smoking/vaping age to 21

I wonder if other states will follow suits on this.

Gov. Mike DeWine signed the change into law Thursday under a provision in the new state budget.

Some medical officials are applauding the legal smoking age change, said University Hospitals' Dr. Lolita McDavid.

Research shows most tobacco users start before age 18 and getting people to wait may stop them from ever using, said McDavid, who is the medical director of child advocacy and protection at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital.

Many adults die prematurely because they started smoking when they were a teenager, she said.

“You don’t need to die from throat cancer or lung cancer or a heart attack at 50 because you started smoking at 17 or 18,” McDavid said.

There are nearly 500,000 premature deaths a year in the U.S. from the effects of smoking, she said.

The new law, which takes effect immediately, also applies to rolling papers, filters, blunt wrappers, liquids and other accessories involved with smoking or vaping.

“People are going to say ‘Oh but you can get somebody else to go in and buy the cigarettes for you.’ Yeah, you’ve always been able to do that. But, hopefully not being able to go in and purchase it themselves will make them delay smoking,” said McDavid.

Ohio joins several other states in raising the age limit for purchasing tobacco products, including California, Connecticut, Illinois and New York, according the website of the Tobacco 21 foundation.

“We know the benefits because the first community to raise the age to 21 was Needham, Massachusetts in 2005, and they’ve done studies that have shown that cigarette smoking among youth was cut almost in half,” McDavid said.
    https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-rai...ge-21#stream/0
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I personally feel the age should be 25.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been 21 here in Illinois since July.

Not against it being that nationwide either.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Pretty sure it's 21 here in NJ (electronic smoking devices)

10+ Year Old Account
    e-cigarette age is 18 in wisconsin.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I used to smoke cigars with friends when I was 18, 19, 20. We had a pretty good time, lounged around beaches, played games of poker, whatever. Pretty good time all in all. I don't suppose those sorts of things stand muster for the moral busybodies that are always up to these kinds of things, but oh well I suppose.

It is weird to consider humans that can vote or die in a war, but aren't fit to have a smoke to celebrate a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I used to smoke cigars with friends when I was 18, 19, 20. We had a pretty good time, lounged around beaches, played games of poker, whatever. Pretty good time all in all. I don't suppose those sorts of things stand muster for the moral busybodies that are always up to these kinds of things, but oh well I suppose.

It is weird to consider humans that can vote or die in a war, but aren't fit to have a smoke to celebrate a victory.
    I'll enjoy one once in a great while, and as a matter of fact I was picking up a Romeo y Julieta 1875 two weeks ago and a guy walked in in front of me and tried to buy smokes. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention, but the cashier told me he had to reject the guy because he was 20. Tripped me out that the age was 21 now, I had no idea (I live in California).

It's hard to say if I'm for it or against it really. 18 Should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'll enjoy one once in a great while, and as a matter of fact I was picking up a Romeo y Julieta 1875 two weeks ago and a guy walked in in front of me and tried to buy smokes. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention, but the cashier told me he had to reject the guy because he was 20. Tripped me out that the age was 21 now, I had no idea (I live in California).

It's hard to say if I'm for it or against it really. 18 Should be fine.
    Yeah, same way I feel. I don't want to get crazy with moral outrage in the opposite direction, it's not like tobacco is an intrinsic right or something. Just weird to contemplate being a putative adult, but having a Plascencia isn't an option.

I suppose cigars are a small part of the tobacco market, so kind of beside most of the point, but it always pops to my head because I'll have a dozen or so cigars per year, but maybe one or two cigarettes while drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I wonder if other states will follow suits on this.

https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-rai...ge-21#stream/0
    Did you see on the news about the vaping lung replacement recently? Really hope this doesnt become a normal thing among kids..

- - - Updated - - -

You know kids are still going to do it, regardless of the 21 age.

Junior high and college kids will continue to vape. In China it's becoming a thing to vape, even disposable vape cartridges being sold in stationary stores.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Did you see that it’s vitamin e being added to THC vapes that has been causing the issue? It’s not nicotine vapes...
    Very interesting..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that consistent with the tobacco age there?

It's not going to change anything though. An 18 year old should be old enough to make the decision for themself. That 3 year difference is pointless.

All these stories about addiction and people getting sick are people who weren't even 18 so shouldn't have been near tobacco anything in the first place again the jump from 18 to 21 is insignificant.

I don't know about the rest of the country bu but there has always been some kind of tobacco trend in the area. Cigs, dip, 'herbals', ecigs, vaps, and if people can't get that then there's always the weed man.

Demonization of products from people coming off as fearful prudes only make the attraction stronger.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

*shrugs*
    Demonizing tobacco is justified. Time will tell if vaping is equally so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Very interesting..
    CDC put out a huge report that all the deaths and illnesses were due to vitamin E THC cartridges. No ifs ands or butts.

CDC has identified vitamin E acetate as a chemical of concern among people with e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI). Recent CDC laboratory testing of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (fluid samples collected from the lungs) from 29 patients with EVALI submitted to CDC from 10 states found vitamin E acetate in all of the samples. Vitamin E acetate is used as an additive, most notably as a thickening agent in THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products.

CDC recommends that people should not use THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources like friends, or family, or in-person or online dealers. While this investigation is ongoing, vitamin E acetate should not be added to e-cigarette, or vaping, products.

In addition, people should not add any substance to e-cigarette or vaping products that are not intended by the manufacturer, including products purchased through retail establishments. CDC will continue to update guidance, as appropriate, as new data become available from this outbreak investigation.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_in...g-disease.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    *shrugs*
    Demonizing tobacco is justified. Time will tell if vaping is equally so.
    I don't get your logic. You're a whole lot better off if you don't ingest nicotine into your system but it's not a whole lot worse than any other recreational substance that's legal.

Alcohol is the worst of them, celebrated. Don't think we need to get into how bad it is for you and how it impacts society.

Caffeine, addiction and side effects are so normalized that people joke about being addicted. Adverse health effects are completely ignored.

Tobacco is stigmatized more because traditionally its delivery methods are far worse than the actual active ingredient. There's now a far less than lethal alternative for smokers and people who choose to smoke and it's being straight up painted as the spawn of Satan. All the while older methods are enjoying the attention taken away from them, which people will inevitably go back to if some virtue signalers get their way. Guess cancer sticks are better. Nicotine hurts no one but the person who uses it.

People are going to pursue recreational drugs the same way the pursue any recreational activity. Trying to force everyone to alive according to your straight edge philosophy is counter productive.

Ideally we should only drink water, eat a lot less meat and a whole lot more greens and grains. Not going to happen. Let adults be adults (within reasonable boundaries for everyone else's safety of course).
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-11-20 at 03:59 AM.

Should just ban it.

Why do people analyze this as good or bad when anyone can just get it anyway

7+ Year Old Account
    You can vote, get a job, pay taxes, join the military and die for your country but don't you dare pick up that death stick or drink for 3 more years.

I've never like having different ages for different things. If you're old enough to join the military and potentially die for your country than you should be old enough to decide if you want to have a cigarette or a beer.

21 here in California, 18 if you're active duty military though.