Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Go ahead and split hairs...but if you don't think you need to breathe air then you need to get out and get to a hospital, because you just have to be sick as fuck.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Sounds like a pretty elaborate way to get people rioting.
    Of course. Which is why using the vice argument for restricting some things based on age, is not a sound one in my opinion. If you are old enough to make a adult decision to vote, join the armed forces, etc. then it should apply to all things adults are allowed to do. If you want to go back to age 21 being a legal adult, that to me, makes more sense.
    " America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    – George Washington.

It's kinda funny to consider that there's a bit of a push to decrease voting age and it's likely popular among people who are enthusiastic about this age change. Old enough to help determine how state force is used on others? Sure! Old enough to have a smoke? That's a big nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's kinda funny to consider that there's a bit of a push to decrease voting age and it's likely popular among people who are enthusiastic about this age change. Old enough to help determine how state force is used on others? Sure! Old enough to have a smoke? That's a big nope.
    That's not even the most confusing thing about it. For example, California is one of the only states where the age of candidacy is 18. Meaning an 18-20 year old could theoretically be elected to the state senate or even be elected governor while being unable to spark up or buy any firearm.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-11-22 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It is funny how he "doesn't dive deep" and just reads headlines... but talks as though he has a 100% informed opinion. And then just assumes the person arguing against must be vaping. I don't get it, why not try to let arguments stand by themselves as arguments instead of accusing people of being things you assume they are? It in no way changes the argument anyway.

If someone tells me the sky is blue... and someone who I don't like tells me the sky is blue... if I say "I don't like you though!" that doesn't mean the sky isn't blue...
    Dude, nothing I've said makes it sound like I have a 100% informed opinion or facts. It's the COMPLETE opposite as mentioned 2 or 3 times, you're foaming at the mouth so much you can't seem to grasp that. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Go ahead and split hairs...but if you don't think you need to breathe air then you need to get out and get to a hospital, because you just have to be sick as fuck.
    How did you make the jump from me saying "there really isn't clean air" to " you think you don't need to breathe air" how in the fuck did you make the galactic size leap?

Quote Originally Posted by riptor7364 View Post
    Experience is everything, and if you talk to most people over the age of 30, you'll hear the same thing.. "I was an idiot when I was 20".

What you'll often hear from people is something along the lines of "if people can go off to war and die at the age of 18, they should.." blah blah. It's not the same thing.. People who join the military at 18 are broken down, and rebuilt as confident, competent and trained soldiers GUIDED BY EXPERIENCED PEOPLE.
    You think it's appropriate to take kids that don't know any better and train them to fight in wars they don't really understand before they have even had a chance to live the life they are fighting to protect?

Deciding when you're 18 or 21 you're going out to get wasted with friends is not a moral equivalent to training to be a soldier..
    No, it's because it's even worse. We are willing to break our children to go die for us, but unwilling to allow them to enjoy the pleasant vices of life.

There's also the argument that "ahh.. kids will be kids and do it anyway, even if it is illegal". This is true, but there's also something to be said for creating an environment where the elders in society are acknowledging that people are generally pretty stupid and irresponsible at this age, and there should be a cultural effort to get children to acknowledge that their elders have experience they do not, and that listening to them will benefit them later in life.
    While elders have more experience, this does not equate to actual wisdom or even general knowledge. The elderly being more wise applied when you had to fight every day to survive, whereas our elderly today grew up with a silver spoon and a television set to rot their brain with.

Liberalism I fear is the problem with all of this.. it goes too far, and "liberty", as great as it is, also means you have the freedom to eat yourself into obesity, smoke yourself into lung cancer, etc.. Freedom is great, but you have the freedom to throw your life away and be stupid as well.
    Why shouldn't people have the right to do whatever they want to their own existence? Actual liberalism is about giving people the freedom to make their own choices and mistakes and therefore learn from them.

18 and 21 is technically "adult" age, but being realistic it's a brand new adult with zero "real world" experience.

26 I would say is the perfect age for an adult. You're in your physical prime.. you've had at least 5 years experience in the real world as an adult. You've likely worked at least 1 or 2 jobs by this point. You've had 5 years to fail and grow and see yourself differently than when you were fresh out of school.

26 is the perfect age imo. 26 should also be the voting age.. why we have what are basically still "children" with little to no work experience or experience in paying taxes, deciding the fate of society through politics is a mystery to me. Democrats pandering to useful idiots I think is the only reason we continue to push the voting age down..
    You make this argument about giving people time to fail and grow, but want to take away peoples ability to try new things and make mistakes. You are perfectly fine sending 18 year olds with no life experience out to die in war, but want to raise the voting age to 26.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu