Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'd buy this version should it get beyond the concept stage:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    One type of truck however will probably remain fossil fuel bound for considerable time, solar panels or not: Cooled or even freezer ones.
    Actually, those might be the first ones going solar/electric. Electric refrigeration units require a lot less maintenance than diesel powered ones, as evidenced by every home refrigerator in the world.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/elec...ining-momentum

https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com...powered-reefer

https://enowenergy.com/refrigeration/
    Last edited by Masark; 2019-11-23 at 02:24 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

*Mgluhp*... I just threw up in my mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Actually, those might be the first ones going solar/electric. Electric refrigeration units require a lot less maintenance than diesel powered ones, as evidenced by every home refrigerator in the world.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/elec...ining-momentum

https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com...powered-reefer

https://enowenergy.com/refrigeration/
    I mean...they're big square surfaces. What better place to put solar panels?

I mean, as long as they're not CRST trailers.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    And this is why you should read an entire post before replying to it. I did address worldwide at the bottom, but let me repeat it for you.

As far as worldwide, World Bank has fossil fuels as being 79.6% and Wikipedia has it showing at 80% (data is nearly 10 years old though).
    For this discussion, only electricity generation should matter, and your link says it was 64% last year fuel related. Out of which a very large part is natural gas, 23%, which is a tad better than coal or oil for the environment.

It is important to keep in mind as well that a very large fossil fuel electricity generator, rotating at constant speed for which it is optimized, linked to an electric engine, makes a more efficient system than a small fossil fuel engine working at a wide range of rotation speeds, not optimal at any of them. Also, it is much easier to implement pollution control measures at fossil fuel power plants than at every vehicle running around.

All in all, it could be a significant gain to have electric cars, if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'd buy this version should it get beyond the concept stage:

I saw this one...

...and thought, "Wow, that's a much better design."

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    As much as I love Cyberpunk, dear God that looks tacky...

For a Tesla, most shocking thing is its price tag -- $40k? That's relatively cheap!
    its probably because of the low quality of the glass on the windows :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    How the heck do you go from the first Tesla, which is quite a sleek and good looking car, to that absolute abomination?
    You hand Elon Musk a pencil, ruler, a sheet of paper, and let him draw up the design.

Shit like that is what happens when someone with a truly absurd amount of money, doesn't have enough people around him willing to tell him when he has terrible ideas (or he does have those people, and just chose to ignore them for this...vehicle).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You hand Elon Musk a pencil, ruler, a sheet of paper, and let him draw up the design.

Shit like that is what happens when someone with a truly absurd amount of money, doesn't have enough people around him willing to tell him when he has terrible ideas (or he does have those people, and just chose to ignore them for this...vehicle).
    We're all remembering that one episode of the Simpsons where Homer's brother lets him design a car and the negative reception sends his company into bankruptcy, right?

Also, for those curious why this unpainted; Tesla's paint shop is currently under investigation for no fewer than 19 Clean Air Act violations.

Capitalism. As it turns out it can't even do green technology right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks fucking cool to me.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's super fucking ugly. I have to search my head to find an uglier car design.
    I mean the Fiat Multipla was very far up the ugly ladder as well, but I think this one actually overtook it. Though I have to admit, after staring at it for 2 days, I think it actually has gotten some surreal quality, as it looks just not real in any of the pictures.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Men complaining about the style of a fucking pick up truck.

It looks awesome by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Also, for those curious why this unpainted; Tesla's paint shop is currently under investigation for no fewer than 19 Clean Air Act violations.
    No, that's because there is no point in painting stainless steel. DeLorian came unpainted as well.

I secretly like the half a century old ideas of what the future will totally look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    To be fair: They still held up much better than most other car windows that size. That's at least something.
    The entire point of side windows breaking easily is to shatter in a way that doesn't leave dangerously sharp shards of glass and allows quick access in case of an accident where more likely than not the door might be bent and can't be opened.

I'm actually surprised how many people don't understand cars at all..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The entire point of side windows breaking easily is to shatter in a way that doesn't leave dangerously sharp shards of glass and allows quick access in case of an accident where more likely than not the door might be bent and can't be opened.

I'm actually surprised how many people don't understand cars at all..
    Considering how many people have already been burnt alive unable to escape burning tesla, it may be its purpose to execute the owner

i have a feeling it's going to get a few redesigns to actually be road-safe in half the world. and that they knew that and just did this ultra-tough demo as a publicity stunt.

Ugliness aside, that price for those specs... there is nothing close to that for the price. It is a great deal.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Ugly car, no a fan of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of sad to see Elon Musk go from Tony Stark to Homer Simpson, that's quite a fall. Perhaps he shouldn't mix weed and car designing.