View Poll Results: What is Cataclysm's legacy?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breaking the World (Bad)

49 19.14%
  • Revamping 1-60 leveling (Good)

65 25.39%
  • Looking for Raid (Bad)

29 11.33%
  • Looking for Raid (Good)

17 6.64%
  • New Playable Races (Goblin/Worgen)

20 7.81%
  • Dragon Soul (Bad)

8 3.13%
  • Firelands (Good)

16 6.25%
  • Other

52 20.31%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    For me it represents a turning point in the design philosophy. Instead of continuing to advance and improve existing systems they went with a reboot and redesign. TBF, it started mildly in WotLK with LFD, but Cata went much beyond that and then we started with the squishes. These were literal steps backward and they continue to this day. It’s why I lost interest, instead of progressing from one expansion to the next it felt like regression. Why would I pay to lose/hinder progress?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

I like the revamped world a lot, and the cataclysm leveling zones themselves have some of my favorite ones of the entire game (Vashj'ir, Uldum). The transmog system has also been one of the best systems Blizzard ever implemented.

It also had Dragon Soul though, which was disappointing at best, but overall it was a decent expansion.
    All who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand

The death of 25 man raiding. Irrelevent now but it was a huge thing back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Pros: Best leveling, ever made
    Cons: It was really bad idea to attempt to make flashback to Vanilla gimped class mechanics after having the strongest classes ever in WotLK

T11 and T12 were great, Transmog was awesome.
    Oh also, Dungeons at the beginning of the expansion were great too.

Looking back at Cata, it's was an okay expansion and very good one compared to the ones we have gotten the last years.

but thinking a bit more about it, like when i played it and what i thought about it at the time
    it was kinda boring and it lacked content after launch, it was the 3 raids in the start and people complained that heroic instances and the raids was hard so blizz just nerfed everything with 20% like EVERYTHING most fights became laughable and we didnt get firelands that soon either if my memory is not off, we got Zul Aman and Zul Gurub "revamps" which was hard in the sense you had to CC the mobs again which most people hadn't done since before the nerf hammer.

So it was a lot of shit shows in those two instances (remember my friend used 4hrs in Zul aman and thought it was normal xd ).

Then we got firelands which is the one raid i raided the most during Cata, Dragon Soul was "meh" at best and that is thanks to the Deathwing fight which is a huge letdown after Lich king , illidan and kil'jaeden to name a few.... it was the baddie of the x-pack and we fought his back, damaged his tentacles then we hitted his head, and we won, just like that... why blizz, why?

And LFR was way worse in Cata than its today, and thats where all my hate for LFR comes from.

Pvp was fun,the thing i did most in cata, you could counter most specs and classes with knowledge of it, i know you could one shot people, but yea.. who didnt try for the lols

Transmog was maybe the best thing they added then and still is.

My friend claims that pvp in cata was the best. I’ve never liked PvP or cata. Firelands is a great raid and probably the best thing to come from cata. Some of the mounts are great. Aeonaxx is one of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    What did you think about it? What did you like and dislike?
    Loved the new races, they provided so much replay value. Loved the re-done leveling, again, made it so easy to get one of every class through what was then completely new content. It was like it was WoW 2. Everything was up to date. Loved the new zones, the initial raids, troll dungeons.

I only hated Dragon Soul and Abyssal Maw being canceled. Cataclysm turned me into the kind of player I am today, an altholic, jack of all trades, master of none as my GM once said. That's Cataclysm's legacy for me.

That's why I voted for 1-60 revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I will always thank Cataclysm for bringing Transmog into the game. Still one of the best features in WoW.
    This is what I came here to say. Transmog was so restrictive at the time, but so many people were thankful for it nonetheless.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Breaking the world, Transmog the whining about Thrall. Dragon SOul woes and LFR. I'd say it was a memorable expansion and not necessarily to any good or bad, just what happened during it is what made it memorable. I'm glad I experienced it, slightly sad the world won't be hurt as much as the Cataclysm did.
    #TeamLegion

Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

It had the first big move towards making spec identity more important than class identity.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Cons: It was really bad idea to attempt to make flashback to Vanilla gimped class mechanics after having the strongest classes ever in WotLK
    I guess they haven't learnt it was a bad idea since they did the same in BFA with gcd changes and gimped classes after phasing out artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    I hated the comedy and pop culture references aswell, but I don't remember them ever being a part of the Twilight Hammer. You had Millhouse Manastorm as a decently high ranking member for some comedy, but other than that, they were dead serious all the time.

I still remember the questhub at the end of Hyjal where the Twilight Hammer had wiped out the Burning Legion in the area. The way the Twilight Hammer were showed in that series of quest, was the only time I ever felt like "these guys are actually fucking evil and a real threat" in all of WoW. Never got that feeling with the Scourge, or the Burning Legion, or the Sha, or the Iron Horde, or any of the other villains.

The only villains that come close are the Naga in Vasj'ir when they capture Neptulon. Both villains from Cata, so I really don't think bad villains is a valid argument against Cata. Deathwing was horrible sure, but the way Twlight Hammer, Naga and Ragnaros Firelands forces were portayed was probably the most threatening they ever managed to make their villains in-game.
    You're the first person I've ever seen claim the Twilight Hammer was threatening. They're constantly portrayed as dumb lackeys that get destroyed easily. They're terrible villains.

Naga had a good zone for being menacing. However one zone doesn't redeem the expansion and that zone was also an underwater zone that wasn't done well.

If you seriously think the Twilight Hammer is more evil than the Scourge then I think you just have some unpopular opinions. WotLK did the best at portraying the enemy as evil by far. Thaddius is literally made up of women and children.
    Im going to get very unpleasant depending on how motivated your stupidity ends up getting me, so... don't?
    SoundOfGuns trying to look intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    You're the first person I've ever seen claim the Twilight Hammer was threatening. They're constantly portrayed as dumb lackeys that get destroyed easily. They're terrible villains.

Naga had a good zone for being menacing. However one zone doesn't redeem the expansion and that zone was also an underwater zone that wasn't done well.

If you seriously think the Twilight Hammer is more evil than the Scourge then I think you just have some unpopular opinions. WotLK did the best at portraying the enemy as evil by far. Thaddius is literally made up of women and children.
    The Scourge felt threatening in WC3. In WotLK they were a total joke, and I stand by my previous comment. The entire point was that coming from the earlier WotLK storytelling, the Twilight Hammer in the Cata lvling zones actually felt like a threat.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Dragonsoul was just sooooo bad. Definitely the worst raid they’ve ever designed though that’s pretty easy to say since generally their raid design has been consistently amazing.

Overall I was never a fan of Cata (my least favorite expansion) but transmog and the revamp of the Forsaken zones were definitely the highlights for me.

Personaly, I liked Cataclysm... Mostly because it was when I met my current guild and started played WoW in a "less casual way".

PROS:
    - LFR (awesome for those who don't raid hardcore and still deserve to see the lore instead of going to youtube)
    - Transmog System
    - Zone themes (yes, I liked Vashj'ir... I'm a Mage... and I get why you hated it melee player.)
    - World Revamp (you can say whatever you want but it was needed, specially to keep the game appealing to new players)

CON:
    - Lack of a new continent (new zones separated by the stupid portal hub in capital city)
    - Archeology profession (grinding af)

PS: Currently I'm feeling that Shadowlands will become one of the most boring xpacs due its lack of features. (Covenants and the infinite Tower its not enough)

I chose "Other" for transmogging. Despite some of the bullshit restrictions it came with, I still think it's one of the coolest features ever added to the game. Also, old world flying was cool.

As far as I'm concerned, LFR wasn't a bad thing at all. It made raids accessible for players who otherwise didn't have the time or desire to repeatedly bash their heads against the wall on the harder stuff, even if what they're getting is a watered-down experience. And that's not taking anything away from the players who clear those higher difficulties. I have no problems with it.

I was a bit torn on the old world revamp. On one hand, I think it was kind of cool and fit with the story of what Deathwing was trying to do. Also, it was kind of fun to reroll alts of various races and see their new starting questlines. I didn't like how the old, pre-Cataclysm world was completely inaccessible afterwards, and that was one of Classic WoW's biggest selling points for me.

And yeah, archaeology didn't do much for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.