Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I might be a big late, but wtf is this event? (15 years)

Took me a while to get a group (spend over 8 hours in queue total, had to cancel sometimes and start again on another day) and the event is just... so strange. You get thrown into the boss fights, right in the middle, with now context, and you literally only hit them for 2-3 minutes, until you get teleported out to the next one, without any context. Just did the Cataclysm one and it literally took 7 minutes from start to finish.

Don't get me wrong, I did not expect this to be a completely new raid or anything or that those bosses have a difficulty curve that is above LFR, but why have an itemlevel restriction for an event that is literally only autohit for a few minutes?
    And why advertise it this big? I mean its kinda nice that it is there, of course, but its really not a feature that I would advertise in its delivered state.

Do all three for the quest and get the mount

In the Nefarian fight we didnt even fight Nefarian! LOL

It's just a fun little event, no biggie.

I agree that the itemlvl restriction shouldn't be necessary, they should have scaled everybody to level 85 for the Cataclysm one and given the appropriate stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Just did the Cataclysm one and it literally took 7 minutes from start to finish.
    Report back after you've done all three in LFR pugs lol.

Hums: "Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind.
    Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance,
    Well they're... no friends of mine."

+15% rep and exp for 2 months is the real event

It's all supposed to be a nostalgic "hey, remember this?" kinda deal.

I do wish they had a bit more to it, but for what it is it makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    It's a chromie throwback to the times we all remember wiping to Lady V, Kael, Heroic Attempts (yes you couldnt attempt more than 50 back then..) of some of those boss's like anub or LK... They really just wanted to throw in the good ol days

So to report on my two go throughs

First week I went in and absolutely DESTROYED the boss's with competent people.. it was fantastic.. second run though last week was an absolute nightmare - people had stacks of determination and all KINDS of crazy stuff.. like - Nobody even cares to read chat or do anything but just go afk I guess? lol

So yeah If you have a SOMEWHAT decent group, you'll RICK ROLL the place - but if your group is full of AFK's etc - You may legit.. ACTUALLY have to leave on the Wrath one at least

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    Report back after you've done all three in LFR pugs lol.
    I did. First day. It's all autohit and before you notice any mechanics or danger, it's off to the next one. If you've never done those bosses before (like me), it's a really strange and dumb event.

You got lucky. Many groups actually wipe, especially on Heigan, LK and Ragnaros, and when you wipe, you need to restart from the first boss of the three.

And it requires ilvl probably because it awards 420 ilvl loot. Guess they don't just want to give that away to everyone. Plus, it's sometimes hard enough with geared people to meet the dps checks, without basic gear it would be a horror

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the Nefarian fight we didnt even fight Nefarian! LOL
    Nefarian is probably the worst of the bunch, they picked a terrible phase for him. Every other fight, you get to hit the boss itself, but this one is just meaningless adds. It certainly wouldn't kill them to drag it for a bit longer... then again, skeletons and kiting, probably "too complex" for an LFR level fight.

Quote Originally Posted by f4ncybear View Post
    +15% rep and exp for 2 months is the real event
    Plus the new old av event combined with that xp bonus means bang any character who is 60+ to 120 quickly and easily.

Took me a while to get a group (spend over 8 hours in queue total, had to cancel sometimes and start again on another day) and the event is just... so strange. You get thrown into the boss fights, right in the middle, with now context, and you literally only hit them for 2-3 minutes, until you get teleported out to the next one, without any context. Just did the Cataclysm one and it literally took 7 minutes from start to finish.

Don't get me wrong, I did not expect this to be a completely new raid or anything or that those bosses have a difficulty curve that is above LFR, but why have an itemlevel restriction for an event that is literally only autohit for a few minutes?
    And why advertise it this big? I mean its kinda nice that it is there, of course, but its really not a feature that I would advertise in its delivered state.
    - Your experience spending more than 8 hours in the queue is, as far as I can tell, an extreme outlier. I didn't spend more than a single hour in queue at most across all three wings, nor did anyone else who I know, and I ran all three a second time the week after they came out.
    - The LFR Timewalking raid wings aren't all that there is to the 15th Anniversary event. There's also the Classic world bosses in the Eastern Kingdoms & Kalimdor and the "Korrak's Revenge" version of Alterac Valley.
    - Each "wing" is more like a single boss fight where you switch from one set of boss mechanics to the next quickly. If you wipe at any point, you have to start over from the first boss in the wing. This is where the (minor, LFR-appropriate) challenge comes from, since you don't fight any of the three bosses in their entirety.
    - The bosses are not "literally only autohit." You do actually have to do the mechanics for most of them or you will not clear - this is especially true for Heigan, Arthas, and Ragnaros.
    - The item level requirement on the queue is in place because they had to pick a benchmark item level to tune the difficulty around. If there was no minimum requirement, then you could have fresh 120 characters in green questing gear sharing a group with Heroic/Mythic raiders - it's not possible to create a raid that's equally challenging for both of those groups. This is the same reason that any other queueable content in the game has a minimum required item level.
    Last edited by Tolfor; 2019-11-21 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I did. First day. It's all autohit and before you notice any mechanics or danger, it's off to the next one. If you've never done those bosses before (like me), it's a really strange and dumb event.
    This is a blatant lie. If you didn't do the Safety Dance on Heigan, if even a single person in your group didn't react appropriately to Defile on Arthas (especially "first day," before they nerfed its damage + growth rate), or if you didn't understand how to position & manage the adds on Ragnaros, your group wiped, period. That's not "all autohit" at all and you are definitely not transported to the next fight before any of these mechanics can make themselves known.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
    This is a blatant lie. If you didn't do the Safety Dance on Heigan, if even a single person in your group didn't react appropriately to Defile on Arthas (especially "first day," before they nerfed its damage + growth rate), or if you didn't understand how to position & manage the adds on Ragnaros, your group wiped, period. That's not "all autohit" at all and you are definitely not transported to the next fight before any of these mechanics can make themselves known.
    Then I guess other people did those, because I sure as hell didn't notice anything, except the mandatory wipe on Rag, which was confusing. I wanted to dance at Heigan, as that's one of the few bosses I actually did do back in the day, but it was over before I knew what was going on. No idea what defile is or what was special on the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
    While I most certainly agree on Arthas I'm quite annoyed with the "you need to do safety dance!" crowd.

No. You don't. You just need to get everyone on top of the platform and nuke him down. If you do it right he should be done right as bloodlust/hero ends and you can just move along from there.

The insistence on everyone having to do the dance causes more wipes than anything on Heigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Then I guess other people did those, because I sure as hell didn't notice anything, except the mandatory wipe on Rag, which was confusing. I wanted to dance at Heigan, as that's one of the few bosses I actually did do back in the day, but it was over before I knew what was going on. No idea what defile is or what was special on the ads.
    They upped Heigan’s HP a day or two in. And Ragnaros was super bugged at first.

8 hour queue? You have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    They upped Heigan’s HP a day or two in. And Ragnaros was super bugged at first.
    Oh, well, that makes sense. I have only done it once, on day one

I did it on day 1. Most people failed the safety dance (and we did go through an entire dance, on day 1), a couple died to defile, and ragnaros most people ignored the adds entirely. Only wipe was bugged Ragnaros.